Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2019 11:24:04 AM EDT
Issued some Safariland something with some kind of feltish liner that takes the Glock 22 with TLR1..

It has serious grabgbie affect going on.

I have done the smear a candle wax on the firearm to coat the inside of holster then did the CLP on the pistol to set it is method with about a hundred pulls from the holster. Seems to have no effect on trying to catch hold of some point in the holster to cause unnecessary grab function and causing a major hiccup in drawing pistol.

What is your preferred method of breaking in a new holster with pistol method so that it slides out the way it is supposed to be?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Leather holster?   I have found nothing that beats dry silicon spray.   Hose the inside of the holster well,  let it dry,  stick your gun in,  be amazed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Its plastic/kydex with some thin velvet stuff
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The silicone may still be the ticket.  It works great on leather, and leaves no visible trace.  This is what I use.

Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What model holster?

Can you post a pic?

Chances are you're not drawing correctly in regards to the holster's internal design... like the old SS III holsters... had to rock slightly forward to avoid the pinch.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Always had good luck with spray silicone on suede lined Safariland holsters.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Shouldn't be a break in of any kind.  Its either you (likely I am guessing) or perhaps if it is a model that has a tension screw, it is set too tight?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be a break in of any kind.  Its either you (likely I am guessing) or perhaps if it is a model that has a tension screw, it is set too tight?
View Quote
Yep, if it is a new ALS or SLS your first adjustment should be the tension screw on the bucket. If that doesn't fix it make sure the holster is the correct model for the gun/light. Beyond that the light bearing safariland models should have no break in period, if it is not allowing you to draw smoothly something is wrong with the holster, gun, or light.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I got away from the Safariland Holster with the liner. I stood in the rain one day and when I got home to clean my pistol, the holster had to be tugged at to release.

I now use one without the liner. It is still a ALS/SLS hooded holster, just lighter and no stupid liner.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
pure silicone spray...

Safariland used to include a small instruction page about this exact thing, and in their directions was to use silicone spray on the felt liner, let it dry, then adjust all tension screws to the point the pistol wouldn't fall out of the holster if the lock was held open and the holster rotated upside down.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
6 series probably.  we just hired three people and got the 6360 holsters.  before they started i sprayed the insides of all three with silicone spray and let it dry.  i also loosed the tension screw then let them adjust once they started.
I switched to a 7 series safariland holster.  no liner inside.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]
We just switched holsters as well. The ALS system on mine was catching on my pistol quite badly. I took it out and smoothed out the edges on the plastic with sandpaper. Finished with some fine steel wool to smooth everything out and it solved all the sticking issues. My holster does have the felt lining.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
From the markings it is a Safariland 6280-832

I don't have a photo server to  upload this thing to list.

That felt thing on the inside has me jacked up. I was used to pure kydex and no felt on the inside in previous places of employment.

We did a night qualification shoot this evening and from the results I don't have that much of an issue compared to the group. However that was due to some who only had one weapon in their life. Not wishing to confront someone who is a deranged meth head that has weapons knowledge.  I did find myself noticing the felt liner did try and grab the pistol when I tried to do my normal pull of pistol. Some slight sideways yank that can be corrected with utilizing a straight draw I suppose.

I will have to check out that spray that was shown on earlier responses. Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
You also want to make sure the tension screw is properly adjusted to your liking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From the markings it is a Safariland 6280-832

I don't have a photo server to  upload this thing to list.

That felt thing on the inside has me jacked up. I was used to pure kydex and no felt on the inside in previous places of employment.

We did a night qualification shoot this evening and from the results I don't have that much of an issue compared to the group. However that was due to some who only had one weapon in their life. Not wishing to confront someone who is a deranged meth head that has weapons knowledge.  I did find myself noticing the felt liner did try and grab the pistol when I tried to do my normal pull of pistol. Some slight sideways yank that can be corrected with utilizing a straight draw I suppose.

I will have to check out that spray that was shown on earlier responses. Thanks fellas!
View Quote
If all you've ever used is straight plastic, then the lining does make a slight difference if it drags against the front sight or the sides of the slide. I'm wearing a brand new 6280-832, and the firearm fell out until I tensioned it up a little. Put a teeny bit of lube on the hood swivel points, too...
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had a couple 6360's with the liner.I found that even without the tension screw in they still needed a little work.

I got 100 percent silicone spray and hosed down the inside of the holster. Then wrap the gun in a thin cloth, I used a piece of t-shirt. Shove the gun and the cloth in the holster and let it sit over night. Then stuff a cloth in the holster to get the excess. Make sure you get the 100 percent silicone. I found mine at a local hardware store.

I like my 7ts holster when I had it but found they can split along the seam.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I  had one from Safariland recently (same holster different gun) that was too tight no matter what. I called them and they sent me a new one for free.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Candle wax?  If you have a tight spot, that will be gone in 2 draws.  Silicone spray.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
pure silicone spray...

Safariland used to include a small instruction page about this exact thing, and in their directions was to use silicone spray on the felt liner, let it dry, then adjust all tension screws to the point the pistol wouldn't fall out of the holster if the lock was held open and the holster rotated upside down.
View Quote
Yup, this right here. Only use pure silicone spray, no CLP, WD40 or anything else. Spray the absolute shit out of it, completely soak the suede to where it is running out the open end of the holster. Give it a couple hours to completely soak the suede, then take a rag and blot the excess out of the suede. You will have to use a dowel or something to push the rag into the recesses of the holster. Loosen the tension screw, then try a couple of draws. SLIGHTLY tighten the tension screw a little at a time to your liking and you should be good to go. A side benefit is that the silicone weatherproof the suede, so no swelling or anything if you get rained on. The silicone also helps protect the pistol from moisture. I've lost count on how many suede lined Safariland holsters I have done this to and it always works well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Perhaps a dumb questions, but here goes.....

You said the holster is for a G22 with a TLR1.  So is that the exact setup you carry, with no mods of any kind??

Seems obvious, but I have been suprised before.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but we've been through tons of these holsters and never had any issues that seemed to persist as long as yours.

Maybe Safairalnd's quality is on the decline??
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
We had similar holsters at my department before we switched over to Safariland 6360. Silicone spray worked very well. Spray the inside of your holster then let it dry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yup, this right here. Only use pure silicone spray, no CLP, WD40 or anything else. Spray the absolute shit out of it, completely soak the suede to where it is running out the open end of the holster. Give it a couple hours to completely soak the suede, then take a rag and blot the excess out of the suede. You will have to use a dowel or something to push the rag into the recesses of the holster. Loosen the tension screw, then try a couple of draws. SLIGHTLY tighten the tension screw a little at a time to your liking and you should be good to go. A side benefit is that the silicone weatherproof the suede, so no swelling or anything if you get rained on. The silicone also helps protect the pistol from moisture. I've lost count on how many suede lined Safariland holsters I have done this to and it always works well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pure silicone spray...

Use dry silicone spray.  It doesn't run out, and you don't have to wait for it to dry.

ETA: Again, this works very well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Been using Safariland holsters for 21+ years as have the vast majority of my fellow officers.  Never heard of or seen anyone needing to spray anything in it to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#23]
It's likely a tension screw that needs adjusted.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I put my gun in a plastic bag and push it in the holster.  Leave overnight.  You will be suprised at how well this works.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Work on a straight draw. The suede is supposed to catch for retention if the gun gets twisted. I never heard of anyone spraying stuff in holsters before.

The unlined ones are nicer though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
The suede is garbage. Went to a week-long class where we rolled around in mud and rain, and the suede in my holster swelled to the point that the gun was downright difficult to draw. Hosed the new holster down with silicone spray and it helped. Even better was getting a holster without the liner. The new 7 series has issues about splitting, but our rep swears the new ones addressed that issue. Either way, that's what we are issued, so it's a non issue since we can't deviate from that. Felt lining in duty holsters is a bad idea for anyone who works outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you pulling up on the gun while you disengage the thumb release or before?

If doing that the gun will lock up on most 6000 series holsters and you’ll have to push down on the gun or use a significant amount of force to continue the draw.

You have to activate the thumb release first and then pull.

Sounds stupid but I’m not trying to insult your intelligence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
delete
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The suede is garbage. Went to a week-long class where we rolled around in mud and rain, and the suede in my holster swelled to the point that the gun was downright difficult to draw. Hosed the new holster down with silicone spray and it helped. Even better was getting a holster without the liner. The new 7 series has issues about splitting, but our rep swears the new ones addressed that issue. Either way, that's what we are issued, so it's a non issue since we can't deviate from that. Felt lining in duty holsters is a bad idea for anyone who works outdoors.
View Quote
Safariland's own words

Safariland used to include a small slip of blue paper that had the advice for pure silicone spray for too-tight holsters. They stopped including that years ago, probably because someone said they would get sued if someone sprayed their gun and dropped it or something...
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have a Safariland holster, soak the hell out of it with silicon spray in a can.

Practice draws, and give it time to soak it. Adjust your retention screw, as needed and go from there.

If you still have trouble with the hood go for the "nub" mod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top