Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 1:56:38 PM EDT
I ride a budget bike that came with an SR XCE28.  As I understand, it is pretty basic.  It seems to have only a spring and doesn't offer much.

I would like to upgrade, but not much.  Most of my riding is on pavement and trail and I do not ride anything extreme and never will.  I was hoping to get a fork that was a little smoother.  I see that the Rockshox Paragon Gold seems to be in my price range.

I'm really not experience with shocks since this is my first bike with them and, to be honest, I'm not even sure I need them.

FWIW, it would need to be the 1 1/8" straight steerer for a 27.5".
If it matters I weigh between 150-160.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Suntour? Use their upgrade program, get an epixon. For the cost using the upgrade program,  it's pretty awesome.

Edit: just saw that yours is 80mm travel.  Don't go over 100mm travel on the new one. Preferably starting at 80mm.  You might be able to limit something like an epixon to 80, ask suntour.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
27.5 on a straight steerer.  Which axle standard are you on?  QR, 15x100 or 15x110?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
27.5 on a straight steerer.  Which axle standard are you on?  QR, 15x100 or 15x110?
View Quote

I'm looking for it.  It's a Formula DC9 Alloy QR
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
What is your price range? Check out eBay. Lots of people and bike shops swap out OEM forks for something else and you get an essentially new fork at a big discount. I got a Fox 34 Rhythm brand new as a take off for $250.

Another option is to go rigid. Your bike will be lighter and faster, especially if you are just riding pavement. If your 27.5 tires are plus, that would give you enough cushion to mellow out any "bumps" you encounter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to convert a straight steerer to accept a taper fork. I was going to do it myself but ended up buying a new bike. I've ordered a Cane Creek EC44/40 and still have it sitting in a box. If you want it just send me an email and I'll get it out to you. You just have to pay for shipping. It's like this one Cane Creek(I have the Cane Creek 10).
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the same boat. Basic Suntour fork on a Norco Fluid HT 2.

$300 for the top of the line Suntour upgrade, $200-400 for a take-off/lightly used Rockshox or Fox air fork. Had a Pike on a Process 134 a few years ago, not looking to spend as much this time around. Chasing my daughter and wife around the trails these days, the chrome stanchion WalMart look doesn't work for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should be able to convert a straight steerer to accept a taper fork. I was going to do it myself but ended up buying a new bike. I've ordered a Cane Creek EC44/40 and still have it sitting in a box. If you want it just send me an email and I'll get it out to you. You just have to pay for shipping. It's like this one Cane Creek(I have the Cane Creek 10).
View Quote

Depends on the bike.  If it takes an ec 34, no dice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Depends on the bike.  If it takes an ec 34, no dice.
View Quote

Good catch I forgot all about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top