Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2020 11:01:17 PM EDT
Hey guys.   In June of last year my son won 2 gold fish at a carnival.  Somehow I've been able to keep them alive.  Got a 5 gallon tank etc.  Im assuming they won't live too much longer so im looking at the next thing.

With the Same 5 gallon tank what fresh water fish would you recommend for my next fish buy?  Looking for something cool for my 6 yr old , but also easy to maintain ( I work alot) and can be found at pet stores.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get some tetras or other community fish.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't the tetras kill each other?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No, Betas kill each other.  Tetras are cheap and plentiful, buy maybe 4-6 neon tetras and there should be constant motion in the tank.  They may need a heater depending on your temps.

My advise, having worked at an aquarium store in college, don’t let your child administer the food and don’t overload the tank with fish.  Fish do well on minimal food, maybe every other or third day and only what they eat before it sinks to the bottom.  Excess food just dirties the tank and makes things worse.  I used to feed my fresh tanks twice per week and saltwater once per week.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Black Mollys
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You definitely shouldn't add anything to that 5 gallon!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazing how winning a couple of gold fish cost you money - would have been easier/cheaper just to go buy them.

All kinds of ways you can go with fish...

Get some crawfish

Get some brine shrimp

Two of my faves - Tiger Barbs - they will be moving and are very hardy...

or

Bala Sharks - they just look cool

Put up some pic there OP

K
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
^
While I agree that Bala sharks look cool.
A five gallon is way too small.

Couple Corydora catfish and fancy guppies or swordtails or mollies.
Hard to beat the hardiness of a male betta
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d stick with different types of gold fish. They are easy to keep... just a little dirty. Water quality and temps and filter quality don’t matter as much. There is also a bunch of different cool kinds and colors
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering Bala Sharks can get a foot long, I think a 5 gallon tank is a wee bit small. You’d need at least a 210 & even that wouldn’t be fair.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top