Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 9:14:37 AM EDT
So it looks like the wife and I will be buying our first house, so I figure it is time to get myself a little present for all the projects to come, plus consolidate tools to one brand/set of batteries.

I am looking at the Dewalt max XR 20v brushless and Milwaukee Fuel/M18 kits.

It seems both have awesome reputations...but anything I am really missing.

I am not a pro by any means, but I like to have nice tools that last and that will have years of service.  Application will be mixed from automotive/motorcycle projects to wood working.

So I am bouncing back and forth between a couple combo kits.  What says the hive?

Standard m18 combo kit-300 5 tool

Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill/ impact Driver 2 tool kit-249

or dewalt

Dewalt max xr 20v 2 tool drill/impact driver kit-279

dewalt 20v max 5 tool kit 300

is it worth it stepping right into the fuel line or dewalts equivalent and spending a bit more for each tool, or getting a mid range kit right out of the gate.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.
View Quote
any thoughts between the two?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Both are great lines.

What drove me was the number of additional units that can be powered by the same battery. In addition to the usual drivers, other power tools and work lights, I have a hedge trimmer, shop vac, four different work lights/lanterns, sabre saw, dust buster, nail gun, air compressor, angle grinder, etc. In total I think I have 17 or 18 tools/lights that can be powered by the same batteries.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I was recently in the same situation and went Milwaukee. I’ve never had much luck with dewalt batteries lasting more then a few years. Most I’ve read about Milwaukee say they last 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO the Milwaukee Fuel tools are the best tools going. For casual homeowner stuff I think about anything would do you fine though, lots of companies make brushless lithium ion tools.

You could also consider the 12V Milwaukee tools, they have a few tools like ratchets that are pretty handy due to a little smaller size and lighter weight.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m a DeWalt 20v Max XR Brushless fan. Love my black and yellow.  Can’t go wrong with red though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
As others have said the Dewalt 20 v stuff is fantastic, not only the drills, impact drivers, grinders etc, I have and use all of it but it is huge that I use the same batteries for the hedge trimmer, weed whacker and leaf blower.

I have nothing against the Milwaukee line, I am sure it is fine but you overwhelming see pros with Dewalt tools.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve been doing legitimate remodel stuff over the last 14 months with a half dozen Ryobi tools with very few complaints so I’d say flip a coin and focus on important things like color of the backsplash

That’s said, if I had that budget, I’d buy Milwaukee based on the 18v reputation
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't overlook the Ridgid brand tools either. They get excellent reviews and are comparable to Dewalt in performance. Plus you get a lifetime warranty on the batteries that come with Ridgid kits. I ended up getting a Ridgid kit and am happy with it. The Ridgid tools replaced a 18 year old Craftsman 19.2v kit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive got 10ish sets of Milwaukee stuff for my guys(low voltage electrical) as well as all their gear for our farm.

They offer tons of different specialty tools and they have all held up very well.

Also just bought their sliding battery powered miter saw.  Awesome and uses same M18 batteries(comes with a larger capacity one but littler ones work too).

Recently got their big 1/2" impact too and its a beast.  We have torqued some big ag bolts and it handles with ease.
We have a Dewalt 20v set too at the farm and its fine but nothing special.

I highly recommend Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve been doing legitimate remodel stuff over the last 14 months with a half dozen Ryobi tools with very few complaints so I’d say flip a coin and focus on important things like color of the backsplash

That’s said, if I had that budget, I’d buy Milwaukee based on the 18v reputation
View Quote
Ryobi is solid for a homeowner and cheap to operate.  Kits are inexpensive in the scheme of things.

Just got a Dewalt for the 1/2 impact.  Solid preforming as well as the drill.  More expensive then Ryobi and batteries cost more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Makita guy - use it for renovating dilapidated rental properties and wood working. Would go Milwaukee out of those choices.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with DeWALT.   Of the major brands, I don’t think there are bad choices.

I started with DeWALT and am happy with them, so I stuck with them.   Now I have a weed eater and chainsaw with the same battery.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Flip a coin. I am a Dewalt guy who bought the XR line when my 18v batteries died.

Strongly consider the 12v options, as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the Milwaukee outdoor power tools are considered a bit better then their Dewalt counterparts(chainsaw, blower, etc) if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ridgid.  Lifetime service agreement on the tools AND any batteries that come as part of a kit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried one of the dewalt 20v drills, and it left me underwhelmed.  I still keep it around, as one of the batteries it came with still holds a charge, but I won't be adding to the line.

I went with the 12v line from Milwaukee.  I want to get some 18 volt stuff, but there is nothing I *need* right now and can justify the price.  The 12v fuel drill and impact driver are better than any 18v tool I have used, but I have never used milwaukee's current 18v line (fuel or nonfuel).  Like you, I recently bought a house and wanted something to use for projects.  The 12v stuff is smaller and lighter yet has plenty of power for anything I have done yet.  It is a perk when working on a ladder too.  For automotive use, the stubby impact for sockets is absolutely amazing with nano sockets from everything I read.

I started with the m12 fuel drill driver combo, then added a fuel hackzall, jigsaw, fuel circular saw, and the multitool.  The circular saw is small, but it has been nice for demo work cutting apart old cabinets and shelves.  Easy to use one handed without getting fatigued.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Dewalt .

I used them at work for years . Good to go
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Milwaukee all the way. Fuel if possible. That first kit has crap batteries 1.5 and 3 amp hour are no good for stuff you may get later on. The fuel set has 2 5.0 amp batteries that are much more powerful and long lasting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.
I have the DeWalt. The torque on them is awesome.

My dad salivates every time he gets to use them when he’s here helping me. He has  a porter cable set.

You won’t go wrong with either but I personally like the DeWalt
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a ton of XR tools but if I were to do it all over again, I would give M18 FUEL equal consideration. Both lines are more than enough for a home owner.

EDIT:

In 2018, pretty much any battery operated tool line sold at a Home Depot is GTG.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ridgid.  Lifetime service agreement on the tools AND any batteries that come as part of a kit.
View Quote
I have a Ridgid cordless impact driver and drill.  They are ok and have worked fine.  But, the batteries have had issues.  I bought the impact driver and then the cordless drill separately (both 18V).  I have had to replace the battery on the first one I purchased (the impact driver) at about the two year mark and the replacement battery has since died.  I haven't replaced it yet because the replacement process is a pain in the neck.  The cordless drill came with two batteries and I'm using them with both the drill and the driver.  They aren't lasting as long as they used to so I know replacement batteries are in my future.

As mentioned above, it's a pain to use the battery replacement.  I thought I could just bring the batteries in and they would send me replacements.  Well, not so much.  The batteries have serial numbers and I entered them into the online warranty entry.  But, when I brought the battery in for warranty replacement, they told me they needed me to bring in the entire kit before they would warranty just the battery even though they have the original battery serial numbers entered into their database.

As you mentioned in your post, the lifetime warranty is only for batteries purchased as part of the original set.  If you buy replacement batteries, you get a limited warranty (three years I think).  Also, if you buy replacement batteries and they fail before the warranty runs out, you'll get replacement batteries but they will only be warrantied for the remainder of the original 3 year warranty.

I think Ridgid quality is ok but my next cordless purchase will be Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I would go with the Dewalt 5 piece kit. The 20 is more than likely overkill and 18 will handle everything you need. The reason I would go with the Dewalt of the Milwuakee id the Dewalt has the angle grinder which I find more useful. My ideal kit would be the drill and driver combo, an angle grinder and a sawzall.

ETA- Someone mentioned Ryobi above. I have a drill/driver kit I bought 6 years ago and both batteries are still going strong on it. I have since upgraded to Bosch and Makita on the drills and drivers, but am still using my Ryobi batteries in my bathroom remodel right now on some of the other Ryobi tools that I have.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Milwaukee all the way. Fuel if possible. That first kit has crap batteries 1.5 and 3 amp hour are no good for stuff you may get later on. The fuel set has 2 5.0 amp batteries that are much more powerful and long lasting.
View Quote
very true, its hard sometimes seeing all the differences between all the kits.

I think i am going to get a basic Fuel kit and then just slowly build on it.

thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
You're buying into the tool lineup.  For the average Joe and Jane Homeowner Ryobi is probably the best value at the current moment, with Ridgid being a close second.  I do think their drill and driver are a bit underpowered though.  That's based on my buddy and I doing a few projects at his house where my Ridgid tools (mine are 5 year old X4 series not the newest X5s) were lasting longer and struggling less than his Ryobi set.  The biggest negative I see with Ridgid is their lineup isn't very robust.

If I were to do it over again I'd probably buy into the Milwaukee 18V lineup.  Certain tools are absolutely worth upgrading to the fuel line, others the regular line is just fine.  If I want to get into 12V tools I'll be going with Milwaukee unless Ridgid comes out with a 12V ratchet (I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

thanks guys!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks guys!
Other m18 stuff to grab later, the big ass impact gun is awesome, I have the fuel 7 1/4 circular saw that's useful, and I just got the rocket tower light. I also have the m18 fuel angle grinder.

M12 is good stuff to. I recommend the jigsaw, 3/8 racheting wrench, the caulking gun, and most definitely the fuel version of the hackzall. The hackzall is one of my favorites. For most of these you want to get atleast one 6.0 m12 battery, it makes a ton of difference in power over the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Today only

Home Depot’s Special Buy of the Day has quite a few different tool kits on sale.  DeWalt, Milwaukee, more.
https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Much better dewalt brushless deal for drill & impact
Dewalt drill & impact combo w/ flexvolt battery
Then buy the brushless tools ala carte
Most all kits over 2 pcs are typically a lesser grade.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#29]
All my battery power tools are Milwaukee.  I do have a 110V Dewalt table saw and router so I'm not hung up on a brand.  Don't sell the M12 short.  It does all I need of it around my home.  I also have M18 yard tools and the big boy impact gun for heavy duty car work.

Shop CPO tools and also look at the Milwaukee refurbs.  Money can be saved by buying one kit and then the tool only option. Or the charger & Battery set and tool only.   Garage Journal has a great thread on finding Milwaukee deals that is constantly being updated.

This is the time of the year all the crazy deals are happening.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#30]
For 90% of what you do at home, I would look at the Milwaukee M12 line.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I use these tools all day every day.

For a basic homeowner you cant go wrong with either, and honestly, either are probably overly expensive for what you will need from them. But I am also of the buy once cry once mindset so there is nothing wrong with that. They will last me years so they should last you just about a lifetime.

I used Makita for the longest time and still do at my house. But my truck is stocked with Milwaukee tools now. I use the Makita tools at home because they are just fine and I have so many I just cant bring myself to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I too gave myself a treat and went the red route. I’d had porter cable and while the stuff mostly got the job done there were a few cases where the impact driver just didn’t have the grunt needed. That plus it used nicads just didn’t have the runtime I wanted for my projects.  I picked Milwaukee because their impact had enough power to comfortably remove lugnuts and the blade bolts on my mower.  The PC fell a little short on power.

Had I realized the fuel line and power adjustments I’d have ponyied up the extra for
That instead of their regular brushless line.  The system has done very well indeed by me with amazing power and runtime.

As said any of the mainstream brands will do great but if you want Milwaukee then you’ll always wish you’d gone that brand. (Their cordless grinder is the tits btw)
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Here sparkies and plumbers mostly use Milwaukee and wood trades and millwork installers mostly use DeWalt.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I buy Milwaukee for work, and I have Dewalt for at home.  
View Quote
Wondering what do you do at work?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I just realized the only 'cordless' tools I have are gas powered.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Buy American. Milwaukee is chinese. I have both Dewalt and Milwaukee and they are all glorious. FYI Dewalt XR is like Milwaukee Fuel line.

Most stores are doing a Christmas special. Buy a drill and impact driver kit, get a free tool or two.

I kinda want the subcompact Makita tools.

Get a hammer drill if you want to drill through brick or concrete. It will be useful sometimes. That sometimes is enough to not ruin that few hours+ of work that day. I have a compact drill and a hammer drill because reasons. If you are making lots of holes in stone/ concrete, rent or buy a rotary hammer. It'll be worth it.

You need a
drill
impact driver
oscillating multitool : can't work on a home without it
recip saw
circular saw

It will be cheaper to buy the saws as corded models. Cordless is very handy and the saws do good enough to get work done. The larger battery packs are pretty much required for running saws. The batteries will last longer and not be as stressed as the smaller batteries. Your kit should have at least one bigger battery.

You might as well get
miter saw
table saw
jigsaw
sander
1/2 impact wrench
Milwaukee m12 3/8 ratchet : pretty much the only reason I haven't sold my Milwaukee stuff.
m12 3/8 impact wrench: I want one
light
Yard tools. If you have a smaller yard, you can get away with using the electric tools around the yard without changing batteries all the time.

I bought the Flexvolt drill kit with two free tools from home depot since my Milwaukee batteries were dying.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought a DeWalt 20v XR kit for $299 that included drill, driver, circular saw, flashlight, two batteries and a charger.

It was a package that is now discontinued for some reason but seemed like a very good deal for the XR kit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#39]
DeWalt 20V system is great.

Very happy with all the following:

Impact driver
Hammerdrill
90 degree drill
Drywall gun
Circ saw
Recip saw
Oscillating tool
Jigsaw
Miter saw
Framing nailer
Finish nailer
(2) Fans
Wet Dry Vac
Angle grinder
Blower
Weed eater
Hedge trimmer
(2) 4 battery charger/1500 watt power stations
AM/FM radio
Small flashlight
Large beam with white and red light
Area light

Just purchased and yet to use:
Palm sander
Inflator

I had one of the small batteries plugged in to the AM/FM radio long term.  The radio was putting a constant drain on the battery and ruined it.

Called DeWalt and under warranty they had a new battery in my hand in less than a week.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been having good luck buying Dewalt over the past 6 or so years. Have a drill, reciprocating saw and a miter saw. The drill is just starting to crap out along with the batteries. Thinking about getting a Milwaukee impact driver to replace it just to change it up a bit. For the average home owner either would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#43]
The brushless tools really shine in saws and high draw tools. I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference in common cordless drills and this coming from a pro that makes his living with tools.

The impact drivers are a toss up. Depends on what you are doing. Hanging drywall, makes no difference. Maybe a little longer run time but you'll go a half day or longer on a 3 A/H battery from ANY major manufacturer. If you're running 3 inch deck screws into yellow pine or doing anything with hardwoods then brushless will be a noticeable difference both in performance and run time.

Pick whichever brand feels good to you. Meaning go out and actually handle the tools. As long as you stay with the major brands you'll be fine. Makita, milwaukee, dewalt, if all else fails pick the brand you see contractors using in your area as it will be easier to get batteries and chargers locally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top