Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
I am a resident of NY State, can I go to Pennsylvania and purchase a new Ar15 with all the features, then take the rifle to a Pennsylvania gunsmith, have the gunsmith pin or fix the magazine permanent. In which I believe now the rifle would be NY compliant. And then bring it home. Is there anything wrong with that?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are an out of state resident the rifle needs to be legal to own in your home state
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a rifle so equipped in nys, as it's a legal configuration.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
A PA FFL will most likely not sell it to you in that configuration.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If you find a PA dealer willing to do the work for you they can make the modifications prior to transferring it to you. Another option is to find a PA gunsmith who can do the work and order the rifle online and have it shipped directly to him, he can then modify it and transfer it to you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank You, I believe I am going the route of looking for a PA gunsmith with a FFL and have him order it and do the modifications
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy a rifle so equipped in nys, as it's a legal configuration.
View Quote
Exactly
What’s the point of traveling to Pennsylvania and paying extra for a configuration that can be legally purchased in New York.
?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true. Most likely other states will comply with other states laws. Only to leave a paperwork trail and they can't trace it back and say they did something illegal. They can have paperwork and say hey look, we complied and aren't at fault. They'll see you have a NY license and not sell it. However, they might be able to transfer it to the gunsmith of your choice if they are a FFL but likely can't unless they remove all the features.

Somewhat related story, I ordered a black powered gun from NJ once and the guy said he had to send it to my FFL. I was baffled and asked why. And he said NJ laws cannot sell muzzle loader rifles without an FFL. My FFL complied but they weren't sure what to put in the paperwork. So I had to pay the fees to get my background check and all on a muzzle loader even though in my state you can buy them willy nilly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is true. Most likely other states will comply with other states laws. Only to leave a paperwork trail and they can't trace it back and say they did something illegal. They can have paperwork and say hey look, we complied and aren't at fault. They'll see you have a NY license and not sell it. However, they might be able to transfer it to the gunsmith of your choice if they are a FFL but likely can't unless they remove all the features.

Somewhat related story, I ordered a black powered gun from NJ once and the guy said he had to send it to my FFL. I was baffled and asked why. And he said NJ laws cannot sell muzzle loader rifles without an FFL. My FFL complied but they weren't sure what to put in the paperwork. So I had to pay the fees to get my background check and all on a muzzle loader even though in my state you can buy them willy nilly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have been able to have the NJ FFL ship it right to you.   NJ seller has record of it being sold,  FFL has posssession and ships to legal recipient.  You are legal recipient of a muzzleloader.

In the OPs case I would sooner have my local FFL gunsmith order or receive the non compliant gun which he can do and then he modifies it to make it compliant and then transfers it to you.   Unless you’re in regular driving distance to that PA store.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have another possibility. Tell me if its doable or not. I live in NY within a few miles from Pennsylvania. I have plenty of friends who live in PA. Could I have a friend from PA purchase a full Ar15, then have him take it to a PA gunsmith, have the gunsmith fix and pin the magazine making the magazine un- detachable. Now, tell me if I’m wrong, as long as a A.R. has a non detachable magazine, you can have things like adjustable stock, pistol grip, etc.
Now that same friend would then privately sell me the rifle. I am trying to figure a way to keep things all legal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have another possibility. Tell me if its doable or not. I live in NY within a few miles from Pennsylvania. I have plenty of friends who live in PA. Could I have a friend from PA purchase a full Ar15, then have him take it to a PA gunsmith, have the gunsmith fix and pin the magazine making the magazine un- detachable. Now, tell me if I’m wrong, as long as a A.R. has a non detachable magazine, you can have things like adjustable stock, pistol grip, etc.
Now that same friend would then privately sell me the rifle. I am trying to figure a way to keep things all legal.
View Quote
if he buys it for you it is a straw purchase, federal felony

he can not face to face sell it to you because you are residents of different states, it would be a federal felony
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
just buy it in ny
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Like others have said just buy one with a fixed mag or in a legal configuration. The other option is to just purchase a stripped lower and fix a mag yourself. After that you are free to to do what you want.

Remember when you buy a stripped lower it is nothing but a firearm, it is not an AW unless you configured it that way. Anyone who says you cannot has no idea what they are talking about as you could be buying a stripped lower to make it into a bolt action, or a pump AR etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

if he buys it for you it is a straw purchase, federal felony

he can not face to face sell it to you because you are residents of different states, it would be a federal felony
View Quote
He could not even face to face in NYS since the Safe Act requires a BGC/4473 on all sales.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok , Thank You, I guess that idea is out of the question !! I hate to be asking so many questions, trying to deal with lovely New York laws are driving me nuts. Do some AR manufacturers sell rifles with fixed magazines? As per say, NY compliant model? I have seen some NY compliant rifles like the Black Rain Spec 15. It does have a detachable mag but most else is stripped off, and goofy looking. I just would like to buy a fixed mag ar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Just move to PA. I did. No more dealing with the nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Post count, join date, questions...
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not buy in your state (or move to a free state).
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Scott where do you live? If in Orange or Rockland or even dutchess I use a guy that has done all my AR smith work. Pinning mags, building kits, shortening barrels everything. He is a licensed smith and owns a good small gunstore. Id go to him instead of the PA route. He can order a whatever rifle you want then make it New York complaint before transfering it to you. Email me if you want the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top