Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2022 12:30:58 PM EDT

Man, it is hard to believe that it has been close to a quarter of a century since Y2K passed. I remember the chaos and panic that people had. How folks went nuts stocking up for the coming collapse that Y2K would bring. I remember the gun shows being chock-full of preppers vendors selling Beanie Babies, MREs, canned goods, sealed cases of ammo, and SKS carbines for the end of times. The news stations talking constantly about how our ICBMs will detonate in their siloes, planes will fall from the sky, and our bank accounts will be deleted.  

Attachment Attached File

CBS News Video Flashback: Y2K fear boosts gun sales

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife was pissed at me that year because I got her a grandfather clock instead of a new computer to replace her dying K-Pro. Then I had a dream that me an my family were moles in a whack-a-mole game and was given advice by Tom Landry in mole form.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Went to The Wilderness Resort in WI Dells. It was a party.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Y2K killed me. I got better, but it left a mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My one Y2K story.

Sometime around 2007 I was going through the Buhl Idaho library and I stumbled upon a book on the subject. I thumbed through it. It can best be abbreviated as.

DOOM!!!

I took it up to the front desk and asked if it had ever been checked out. It had not. The librarian said, "well, this goes in the book sale pile. Unless... You want to check it out?"

I politely but firmly replied, "no."
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Got paid triple time to sit at work watching movies to baby sit the mainframe which rolled over just fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife was pissed at me that year because I got her a grandfather clock instead of a new computer to replace her dying K-Pro. Then I had a dream that me an my family were moles in a whack-a-mole game and was given advice by Tom Landry in mole form.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I prepped a little bit, then spent NYE at Epcot and Disney. It was a weird mix of escapism and fear in the crowds. Magic Kingdom was at capacity. Back then you could bring in a bottle of Captain Morgan in a backpack.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
A member here buried an SKS for Y2K and it ended up under 20 feet of dirt on a construction site prior to Y2K. LoL
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I was 16 and had to have my dad come get me from a friends house. Party got a little out of hand, cops were called and we had to be picked up by a parent or we were going to jail.

A guy at the party, a big Samoan guy kicked out a cop car window. When they got him to jail, they shut his hand in the cell door and his charges ended up getting dismissed.  That guy was a piece of shit though, obviously.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop huffing varnish!
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prepped a little bit, then spent NYE at Epcot and Disney. It was a weird mix of escapism and fear in the crowds. Magic Kingdom was at capacity. Back then you could bring in a bottle of Captain Morgan in a backpack.
View Quote
Shit, back then you can conceal carry at Disney. It wasn't until the 2010s that they really stopped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A member here buried an SKS for Y2K and it ended up under 20 feet of dirt on a construction site prior to Y2K. LoL
View Quote
@whiskerz

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
In 1999 I bought a Bushmaster ban era AR that I still have.  Those were the “ABC” days.  Fixed carry handle. At some point after the ban ended I replaced the neutered barrel with a proper one.

I still have that gun and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Was worried that my '82 S10 wasn't going to start on the 1st...

...thankfully it did
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Two thousand zero zero, party over, oops out of time
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
There’s nothing to tell.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked in a university research lab at the time. The university was flipping out, they emailed all staff and students in the middle of December saying the campus would be shut down from the 30th until a few days into the new year (I forget how many). We were told not to even approach the campus during that time, lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I went to the Pontiac Silverdome and saw Sevendust, Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, and Metallica.  Sweaty Uncle Teddy cane out with a full Indian headress on while riding a Buffalo. At the end he shot a flaming arrow into his guitar.

Lars lost his wallet crowd surfing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to bed early.  Got up the next day, saw the sun still shining, still had electricity, everything worked and figured, “yup, just what I thought”.  

Never understood why ‘calendar change day’ is regarded by so many to be the most holiest of holidays.  Why is it even a holiday?
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Every decade, I have to go add code to flip the first digit to the next char in the alphabet because this client was stuck on system accounting system from the 90's. They finally got fired last year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went to bed early.  Got up the next day, saw the sun still shining, still had electricity, everything worked and figured, "yup, just what I thought".  

Never understood why 'calendar change day' is regarded by so many to be the most holiest of holidays.  Why is it even a holiday?
View Quote
You're probably a blast at parties.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I was telling everyone that Y2K was fairy tale. Nothing is going to happen.

But on the safe side. I managed to get a Bushy M4 upper just in case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Waste of time and money in many respects. Certainly a lot of infrastructure needed to be updated, but the prophecies of End of World Doom!  were vastly oversold. But, lots of IT consultants make bank....

I worked at a defense factory down in TX. On Dec 31st we were instructed to power off all of the servers, storage arrays and networking equipment. I tried to get them to just stop the operating systems and leave all of the equipment on standby, but the PHBs1 were convinced that the hardware would catch fire if they had power at midnight on Jan 31. In the late 90s, 'large' hard drives in the server rooms were 4-9GB. So... lots of disk arrays. I tried to tell them that disks that had been spinning 24x7 for a few years would likely have a a small percentage, but a non-zero chance, would have failures after being heat soaked and cooled. Management didn't agree, so everything was switched off for a while. Being that these were all large Unix servers, Y2K was not likely a problem.

Sure enough, we lost a few dozen drives (out of many hundreds) the next morning when powering up.

That was about the extent of what I saw 'fail' for Y2K.

m

1 - PHB, pointy haired boss. See 'Dilbert'

ETA: I forgot about one other Y2K bit of silliness. Back in the late 90's I worked for the US Moto Guzzi importer. MG had introduced EFI not too long prior. Our tech lead got a call asking if the EFI computer needed an 'OS upgrade' to keep it from failing on 1/1/2000...
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Was trying phone dating at the time and had a first date with a girl to a NYE party at a large entertainment centre bar. The bar had a band and a radio station MC.

Ended up the girl was very large, what I thought we had in common from phone talk was bullshit, the band sucked, the MC sucked, drinks were super expensive, and I think the grumpy heifer and I danced maybe once. I remember bowing out shortly after midnight came and went, getting home before 1 AM alone and watching west coast celebrations on TV, before happily going to bed.

Yay, 2000.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I was working at a little super dollar type store while I was in high school that night.  Rumors were coming in that Europe was a madhouse, all their computers were failing and it was bad.  Our manager almost closed up shop early because of it.  I figured it was all BS and just went and partied that night.

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Dumbasses thinking they’re ringing in the new century when they were really starting the last year of a century.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dumbasses thinking they’re ringing in the new century when they were really starting the last year of a century.
View Quote

That's true
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those laquer fumes are a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]
We had close to 50 people at the house for Y2K. I was going to throw the main breaker at exactly midnight as a joke.

Never happened. I passed out and woke up an hour later.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ah, yes.  Y2K.  I survived it, only just.

we didn't need to buy toilet paper that year.  Had a closet full to the brim with the stuff.
bought my very first firearm, a Remington 870 express.  Still have it.  You pump that action and the bad guys will go runnin'!
food, oh the food.  I think I still have some of it.  30 year shelf life, you know!

good times, good times.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
All I did was make sure both tanks in my truck were full.

I was so drunk that night that when went to the bathroom to piss in the dark, I couldn't find the doorknob to get out. I slept on the damp bathroom floor. Good times.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dumbasses thinking they're ringing in the new century when they were really starting the last year of a century.
View Quote
The Millennium (Seinfeld)
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I was drunk at a dance somewhere in the Blacklands outside of Cameron Texas.  Woke up hungover in Taylor.

Was just another day for me back then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#38]
golden.  I'll sell it for millions!  Collectible!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I still have one of those Y2K prepper magazines.

I had a part time job at a LGS/range, and it was fun selling HD guns and accessories in anticipation of societal breakdown.

Of course, the Clinton ban was in full swing, so options were a bit limited. The Ruger PC9 came out and we discovered pre-ban Beretta 92 and Sig P226 magazines would reliably feed and fire rounds through the PC9 if you held the mag in place.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I got to meet Edgar "Papi" Martinez, the HOF Seattle Mariners DH/3B, and later, Hitting coach.

I was working the door (bouncer) at a Jillian's in Tacoma, WA.  We had a live band for NYE.  Edgar's daughter's boyfriend way playing saxophone in the band (or at least that's how I remember the story), so Edgar came to our club for that night.  I got his autograph on one of our event entry tickets.  SUPER nice dude.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#42]
On duty at FD.  Had SWAT bunked with us, ready to ride on the apparatus for what was to come.  Which turned out to be breakfast at IHOP.  Viva La French Toast.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Being in IT, I knew Y2K was going to be a big flat zilch from disaster point of view.

I spent New Years eve railing a hot blond milf with large tits  
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#44]
My boss decided he was going to sit in the office until midnight.

I went to the bar.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I was in IT at the time and a whole bunch of people across our department (including my manager) got pulled into the Y2K group. It took them about 6 months to get the company compliant and then everyone of them got layed off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I was 13 and a computer nerd so I didn't care.  I was playing Team Fortress Classic and after midnight I shot a guy in the head with a fully charged sniper hit and he gibbed as expected.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if there is an arfcommer out there somewhere who never left his bunker.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#48]
A bunch of us were at work waiting to see if the airline’s reservation software would crash.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wonder if there is an arfcommer out there somewhere who never left his bunker.
View Quote
I wonder if one was conceived in a Y2K bunker and posting now in GD as a 2022er.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I went out and bought another 870 Remington and a Mini 14 three days before.

You know, just in case. lol

Sat in the American Legion with a scotch & water and watched watched the year roll in with no drama. Kind of disappointed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top