Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2024 11:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome]
Its time for a second TrueNAS sever. I will eventually have four servers, primary media, backup media, primary file server, back file server but for now, just number two.

I already ordered the same istarusa case, I like everything to look uniform.
Must be AMD Ryzen Epyc
Not sure if transcoding is needed, I do have 4K rips but they play just fine on OSMC.
Lost of DDR54 ECC, probably 128GB.

Suggestions?

Ordered:
3x WD 10TB Red Pro HDD, same ones in my current nas
1x Samsung 1TB 980 pro (OS)

The Asrock matx server motherboard I want to get is sold out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:24:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#1]
If you need it to be AMD.

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650G  (yes an APU and yes, the xx50 matters as it needs to be the "pro" model to support ECC).     AM4 vs AM5 for TrueNAS will make no difference in performance.
ASRock RACK x570d4u-2l2t
Up to 128GB DDR4-ECC UDIMM   (really depends on the amount of usable storage you configure).
nVidia GTX 1660 (for encoding/decoding hardware offloading).

Why the ASRock Rack Motherboard? (specs below).     You get on-board 10G, 1G, and IPMI for remote management.

Micro-ATX (9.6"x 9.6")
Supports AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series Desktop Processors
4 DIMM slots (2DPC), supports DDR4 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM
1 PCIe4.0 x16, 1 PCIe4.0 x8, 1 PCIe4.0 x1
Supports 2 M.2 (PCIe4.0 x4 or SATA 6Gb/s)
8 SATA 6Gb/s
2 RJ45 (10GbE) by Intel® X550-AT2
2 RJ45 (1GbE) by Intel® i210
HDMI
Remote management (IPMI)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#2]
I do not need ecc ram and I do want to drop over $400 on a mono.

My current homebuilt nas is running normal gaming hardware.

I should add that my served case is 2U.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
I do not need ecc ram and I do want to drop over $400 on a mono.

My current homebuilt nas is running normal gaming hardware.

I should add that my served case is 2U.
View Quote

If you want to run TrueNAS and not have ECC, I cannot recommend enough that you need to stop now*.    As has been suggested to you by others in previous threads, looking at retail solutions may be better for you.

Also, with that motherboard and CPU, you could run your environment in multiple jails and/or VMs to consolidate your footprint.

As for the RU allocation, nothing mentioned in my recommendation should be impacted by that 2U size (assuming it has a horizontal PCI configuration (you'd need a PCIe riser though).   They do make half-height 1650 GPUs too if that case only has vertical PCI.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LatentUser:
If you want to run TrueNAS and not have ECC, I cannot recommend enough that you need to stop now*.  
View Quote

With the way TrueNAS uses memory as ZFS cache, I'll second this statement.  Had nothing but problems with my build and all I was doing was SMB windows shares.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ARAMP1:

With the way TrueNAS uses memory as ZFS cache, I'll second this statement.  Had nothing but problems with my build and all I was doing was SMB windows shares.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARAMP1:
If you want to run TrueNAS and not have ECC, I cannot recommend enough that you need to stop now*.  

Ok I will go with ECC Ram. Damn that stuff is expensive. I whole reason I did not want to go with ECC is due to when I built my current NAS. I bought used ECC ram for it. It was compatible with my mobo but it refused to work. I trashed that RAM and used normal desktop RAM.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my server case in today...

Is the Ryzen 5 PRO 5650G EOL? I cannot find it for sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Other than Ebay I only see it in prebuilts, is it meant for OEMs or VARs?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

View All Quotes

@latentuser
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#9]

@latentuser
View All Quotes

@latentuser

I suggested that chip as it’s one of the only non-server/workstation amd cpus that supports ecc.  It is not retail anymore and you have buy it second hand.  If you haven’t gotten memory, or the motherboard yet, something like this may be better (guy has a terrific reputation on STH).  

Otherwise if you want to save money. There’s also the usual intel i3-9100t with 64GB DDR4-ECC.    

Ddr5 in a nas/server won’t afford much difference unless you’re doing LMT ML/AI.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]

I suggested that chip as it’s one of the only non-server/workstation amd cpus that supports ecc.  It is not retail anymore and you have buy it second hand.  If you haven’t gotten memory, or the motherboard yet, something like this may be better (guy has a terrific reputation on STH).  

Otherwise if you want to save money. There’s also the usual intel i3-9100t with 64GB DDR4-ECC.    

Ddr5 in a nas/server won’t afford much difference unless you’re doing LMT ML/AI.
View All Quotes

@latentuser

Thanks,

I will be going the DDR4 route. I looking at the ebay listing, very temping but the mobo wont fit, server case only allows matx.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#11]
Best available AMD Epyc CPU and mobo?

Must be matx.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#12]
How about this setup?

AMD Epyc CPU (used) the lower the TDP the better.
Asrock ROMED8U-2T matx mobo (new)
ECC ram (used) AM4

Which AMD Epyc and RAM should I look at? ECC is a must.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#13]
How about this setup?

ECC ram (used) AM4

View Quote

That would be great.  Yes, 2400Mhz DDR4 ECC would work great with any Epyc (which one are you looking at)?  I think the 7272 will be one of the lowest TDP Epycs, and still has 12 cores/24 threads and 128 PCIe 4.0 lanes.
That Asrock board is amazing by the way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]

That would be great.  Yes, 2400Mhz DDR4 ECC would work great with any Epyc (which one are you looking at)?  I think the 7272 will be one of the lowest TDP Epycs, and still has 12 cores/24 threads and 128 PCIe 4.0 lanes.
View All Quotes
How about this setup?

ECC ram (used) AM4

How does a Epyc 7282 sound? Its TDP is 120w, that should be ok in my 2U server and I found supposedly new 7282s on ebay for $80, located in China. Too good to be true? Ebay link
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]

How does a Epyc 7282 sound? Its TDP is 120w, that should be ok in my 2U server and I found supposedly new 7282s on ebay for $80, located in China. Too good to be true? Ebay link
View All Quotes
How about this setup?

ECC ram (used) AM4

7282 isn't bad at all.   I would buy from here  though as this seller is well known and regarding in many homelab and smb communitiies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Hard drives ordered, mobo is sold out. I will order the CPU and RAM at a later date.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I am tempted to get a bigger NAS case so I can fit an ATX mobo in. Only SP3 mobo in stock at ATX, no mATX.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I am tempted to get a bigger NAS case so I can fit an ATX mobo in. Only SP3 mobo in stock at ATX, no mATX.
View Quote

Do you have a 4-post rack and/or have a depth constraint?   Having more room in a NAS case isn't a bad thing.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Do you have a 4-post rack and/or have a depth constraint?   Having more room in a NAS case isn't a bad thing.  
View All Quotes

I have a 27U 19" depth rack from sysracks. I looked up a istarusa server chassis, it looked good so I tried to buy it, out of stock as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
It wouldn't be hot-swappable out of the box unless you get the 3x5.25 to 5x3.5 caddies, but would fit your rack and the ATX board.

SilverStone Technology RM41-506 4U rackmount Server case with six 5.25" Drive Bays, SST-RM41-506
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top