Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 9:01:53 PM EDT
Thanks for looking!!

I am running a 10+ year old machine with windows 7 right now.  I want to build a new machine, using the build guides at: logicalincrements.com.  

Probably the enthusiast or extremist:

The video cards are currently unobtainium, so I was thinking about substituting a GEFORCE card, and replacing it when the AMD cards become available again.  

I am currently running 2 49" curved monitors with 5120x1440 resolution using my work laptop, but it can't quite drive them both at the highest resolution.  I would like to drive them both at the highest resolution with a more than capable machine when I'm not working.

Aside from the cost of an interim video card, does anyone see a problem with this plan?

I have been waiting a couple of months for the cards to become available before starting the build, I'm tired of waiting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nvidia will have fewer driver issues...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nvidia will have fewer driver issues...
View Quote

Not a bad thing, but in the end I will want as much raw power as I can get for future proofing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an amd card for my new build and it run wayy too hot and has random green screen crashes. I put my 1660 TI back in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I got tired of waiting and picked up an RX 5700XT last week.  It may not be able to run EVERY game at max settings but is working just fine for the games I play.  A bird in the hand...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got tired of waiting and picked up an RX 5700XT last week.  It may not be able to run EVERY game at max settings but is working just fine for the games I play.  A bird in the hand...
View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking, except every AMD card seems to have a 2x+ premium attached, when you can find them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not a bad thing, but in the end I will want as much raw power as I can get for future proofing.
View Quote

I run an IT department and I got started in computers building gaming systems.  Theoretical processing power means nothing unless it is properly harnessed through drivers.  You should always buy hardware with the best driver support (that means Nvidia).  There is a reason why Nvidia has been the leader in graphic cards for the last two decades.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 5700 and run it with 5700xt clocks and it's never had an issue. I install every new driver that comes out every month also.

I had a 7950 AMD gpu for 8 years before that and never had a driver issue. I personally think the AMd driver thing is overblown. I bet half of those issues are something else not right in the system and amd drivers get blamed.

Protip:
Anytime you install a GPU driver do the following (nvidia or amd):

Download "display driver uninstall"
Boot into windows 10 safe mode (hold down left shift key while clicking restart)
Launch DDU, choose "clean drivers and restart"
It will boot into win10 normal mode and THEN you install the latest driver.

I've helped to tons of people with nvidia and amd gpus alike with this advice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought a 5700 and run it with 5700xt clocks and it's never had an issue. I install every new driver that comes out every month also.

I had a 7950 AMD gpu for 8 years before that and never had a driver issue. I personally think the AMd driver thing is overblown. I bet half of those issues are something else not right in the system and amd drivers get blamed.

Protip:

Boot into windows 10 safe mode (hold down left shift key while clicking restart)

View Quote

With all due respect if you ran the same graphics card for 8 years you could not have been playing the latest and most demanding video games and therefore would be unaware of the issues  encountered by gamers on the launch of these games.  While AMD makes fine products there "will" be times you will have to wait weeks to play a new title while AMD sorts out their driver issues that could have been avoided if one built their system with Nvidia (or Intel for that matter).  Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prime example of gamers having issues at launch by running AMD graphics cards and CPU's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With all due respect if you ran the same graphics card for 8 years you could not have been playing the latest and most demanding video games and therefore would be unaware of the issues  encountered by gamers on the launch of these games.  While AMD makes fine products there "will" be times you will have to wait weeks to play a new title while AMD sorts out their driver issues that could have been avoided if one built their system with Nvidia (or Intel for that matter).  Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prime example of gamers having issues at launch by running AMD graphics cards and CPU's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protip:

That was a great 1080p card. It was playing AAA titles 1080p high to ultra 60fps up until a handful of years ago. Didn't have any issues during all that and it was OC'd to 1100mhz that entire time.

And my 5700 has had zero issues but I admit I didn't get it on launch day but it's been 100% solid last 7-8 months even being ran at the ragged edge.

People that run solely Nvidia cards like to tell others why AMD cards are so bad. As a person who's ran AMD gpus for awhile now its not nearly as bad as people who don't run AMD GPUs make it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want maximum life out of your gaming setup then right now Nvidia is your best bet because frankly AMD has let their GPU division become a utter joke when even their hardest core shill reviewers have to stick a dozen asterisks to their test data to not come out directly and say "This card isn't as good as Nvidia's offering but its a bit cheaper.".  Personally I'm waiting for a 3090 to become available for something approaching MSRP but that will be a few months I expect at this rate.

On the matter of "future proofing" I build my gaming rigs with a 5-7 year update cycle though life events have forced my last (current) build to limp to 10 years and at 1440p and a GTX 1080 Ti I have yet to run into any games that didn't run at max settings or at least near max settings.

If you are trying to run at 4k or some insane 240hz refresh rate then you are going to hit a wall sooner with future games but at 1440 and 60-144hz you would be surprised at what you can manage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
To break up the Nvidia circle jerk here, some GPU history.

When everyone was shitting on AMD drivers pre-GCN, Nvidia drivers were the #1 cause of BSODs and had multiple instances of their drivers/bios bricking cards.
Once AMD worked out the kinks in GCN, their driver's were considered on the same level as Nvidia's, though Nvidia still had better day1 support for new game releases, since they spent far more of dev support and were blocking AMD access.
Towards the end of GCN, AMD drivers were still getting performance improvements and support in new games for cards of previous generations (FineWine) while Nvidia actually dropped support for previous architectures that were about the same age.

While yes, AMD had some teething issues with RDNA, it seems like it was blown way out of proportion.
I had a couple issues when I got my Red Devil 5700xt. A beta driver released within a few weeks fixed the vast majority of issues.
When I updated to the next WHQL version, I had problems with it and went back to the beta. Every WHQL since that first one I tried has been fine.

While I have bounced around between both manufacturers. I can personally recall driver issues with both.
I spent about the same amount of time messing with 5700xt driver issues as I did with each the 8800GT/GTS (Source engine/texture issues and Windows 7 drivers) and the GTX970(driver issues).

x800xl - x1900xt - 8800gt/gts and hd4850 - gtx280 - gtx480 - R9 290 and GTX970 - 5700xt

Edit- GTX280 was back when I was benchmarking/OCing. GTX480 was from my roommate in 2012 for helping him build his new rig.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When everyone was shitting on AMD drivers pre-GCN, Nvidia drivers were the #1 cause of BSODs and had multiple instances of their drivers/bios bricking cards.
View Quote

Nvidia dominates GPU marketshare therefore they will have higher raw numbers of problems.  Likewise there are many manufacturers of Nvidia cards and some companies will have more issues with quality control than others.  As someone with over 30 years of experience in gaming hardware I suggest most BSOD, either computer or graphics related, is due to hardware not meeting specifications.  
This is why it is important to pay a little extra and buy from the most reputable manufacturers.  Cutting corners is like playing Russian Roulette...

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nvidia dominates GPU marketshare therefore they will have higher raw numbers of problems.  Likewise there are many manufacturers of Nvidia cards and some companies will have more issues with quality control than others.  As someone with over 30 years of experience in gaming hardware I suggest most BSOD, either computer or graphics related, is due to hardware not meeting specifications.  
This is why it is important to pay a little extra and buy from the most reputable manufacturers.  Cutting corners is like playing Russian Roulette...

View Quote

Sorry this was back when it was closer to 50/50.
IE back during Windows Vista and the first few years or Windows 7.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Nvidia vs AMD fanboys.  

I have bought both over the years.

The only two that actually died, one was a BFG GeForce FX5200 and the other a BFG GTX 260+.

It's more of an issue with BFG building crap video cards than them being a Nvidia gpu issue.

Other than those two I have had zero issues with either brand.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry this was back when it was closer to 50/50.
IE back during Windows Vista and the first few years or Windows 7.
View Quote

Sorry but there was only a brief period when it was close.  In general Nvidia has been the choice of gamers for a long time for the reasons I have previously stated.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#16]
For the games I play (flight sims) VRAM is the most important thing.  I'm holding out for an RTX 3080, as I think it's the price/performance leader right now.  I'd love to get a 3090, but those are just stupid expensive right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the games I play (flight sims) VRAM is the most important thing.  I'm holding out for an RTX 3080, as I think it's the price/performance leader right now.  I'd love to get a 3090, but those are just stupid expensive right now.
View Quote

In all my amd gpu fanboyism if I was to upgrade my gpu right now I would choose the 3080 FE.

I am in love with how compact the 3080 FE is, how the PCB is custom and how the one off cooler works.

But I would personally wait for a higher VRAM version.
10gb could be cutting it close down the road as I would use it for a 4k.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In all my amd gpu fanboyism if I was to upgrade my gpu right now I would choose the 3080 FE.

I am in love with how compact the 3080 FE is, how the PCB is custom and how the one off cooler works.

But I would personally wait for a higher VRAM version.
10gb could be cutting it close down the road as I would use it for a 4k.
View Quote

Right now I'm playing on my laptop, which has an RTX 1060.

I'm setting money aside for next year's Christmas present to myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top