Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2022 4:01:08 PM EDT
I've wanted one of these since they came out in 2015, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.  I love exactly what it's intended to be...a light weight, agile convertible roadster.  Just what I want.  I'm of the "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" mindset, so no C6 Z06 for me!

I really like the looks of the RF, but I've had removable top cars in the past (T top Camaro in my youth).  It's nice, but not a convertible.  In addition, if I'm ditching the convertible, then I feel I've got to consider the new 86 as well.  This will be a sunny day / toy only car.  We've got 3 others for daily drivers.

So I'm fairly confident the convertible is what I want.  However, what may I be missing / overlooking?

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I tend to like the convertible a bit better.

Fiat 124 potential?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tend to like the convertible a bit better.

Fiat 124 potential?
View Quote

No.  I like the Miata styling better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad had the same dilemma, ended up with the regular (convertible). Most seem to prefer it over the RF, but those I know who actually ended up with the RF all are happy with it. A PRHT like the NC would have been a much better option than the RF, IMO, because as you pointed out, while Targa tops are cool, they aren't convertibles.

Also, if you are planning on buying used, all indications are that the updates in the ND2 (2019+) are worth it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've wanted one of these since they came out in 2015, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.  I love exactly what it's intended to be...a light weight, agile convertible roadster.  Just what I want.  I'm of the "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" mindset, so no C6 Z06 for me!

I really like the looks of the RF, but I've had removable top cars in the past (T top Camaro in my youth).  It's nice, but not a convertible.  In addition, if I'm ditching the convertible, then I feel I've got to consider the new 86 as well.  This will be a sunny day / toy only car.  We've got 3 others for daily drivers.

So I'm fairly confident the convertible is what I want.  However, what may I be missing / overlooking?

View Quote

Convertibles are woman’s cars!
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have an 06' the wife and I take out for dates... Fun car, super fun to drive.  I try not to worry about what other people think...
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
RF adds a good bit of weight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a ‘17 RF LE, my father has a ‘16 rag top. It’s his third Miata, missing only the first Gen since he still had kids at home when those were new. We live on opposite sides of the country, but I just finished a family visit back east and drove his for the last two weeks. It had me second guessing my purchase of the RF.

The convertible is so easy to put the top up or down at a red light, where as the RF takes almost 30 seconds. When I first got my RF came to a stop at a light and decided to drop the top. As luck would have it the light turned green half way through and I held up traffic to finish the deal. The three cars behind me were not amused.

Top up visibility is better in the RF, but neither are great. Top down visibility is (obviously) far better in the convertible.

IIRC the weight difference is about 150 lbs. I wasn’t trying to really dog out my father’s car, so I can’t say whether or not you’ll feel the difference, but it’s not nothing. Also where the weight is should have an affect on center of gravity.

Mine is a daily and we see 115+ in Arizona, so I don’t expect to drop the top June through August. We also get cold enough December through March that my top will be up more often than not. My self-imposed guideline is 50-99F. When Mazda was designing the RF they polled gen 3 owners of the retractable top and they had their tops up 90% of the time (I didn’t see them poll the soft top guys.) If it’s not your daily then your calculus will be different.

Riding/driving my dad’s cars I’ve been a fan, but for some reason I wasn’t a fan of convertibles in general. I always told myself if Mazda makes a true hard top Miata, I’d buy it. While the RF isn’t a true hard top, it was close enough for me and I had to have it. Now having the RF I end up dropping the top way more than I thought I would.

At the end of the day you wouldn’t be wrong with either.

I came back from east coast trip last week and I’m seriously considering buying a second Miata, but with a soft top. I couldn’t bring my self to sell my RF. True Arfcommers get both.

ETA: top down the RF is louder than the soft top. Top up the RF is quieter, but not my a lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the RF looks cool as hell. A lady at work just got a new convertible and it's awesome, but I was eating lunch and saw the RF in the same color pull up into the lot, it looked REALLY awesome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m looking at getting an RF myself, probably a club. I really like the looks of the RF vs the convertible and I don’t put the top down much anyway so a quieter ride would be nice. Only downsides are increased weight, about 100lbs, and they currently don’t have a roll at that enables the hardtop to come down/up so no tracking. I figure that will get solved in due course though.
Gonna give it a bit and see if I can score a low mile, used 2021. I want the bells and whistles that come with it but don’t want to pay 40k for it.
Side note, the Miata is the closest I’ll get to the Elise I had. I loved that car but it just wasn’t very comfortable to drive. For instance the A/C was basically the same as if you were waiving an ice cream cone around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have an 06' the wife and I take out for dates... Fun car, super fun to drive.  I try not to worry about what other people think...
View Quote
I have an 04' we use for the for the same purpose. My Coonhound lives for rides in it too. I give zero fucks what anyone thinks. Very fun car

As to the OP, I'd love an RF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  I ride VFR's, Buells and Moto Guzzis as well.  0FG about what others think.  I'm be giggling out loud in my Miata while the C8 drivers are trying to look like Joe Cool.  :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]
don't own either, but the only reason I would consider the RF is if I am owning it for a long time and driving it a lot.
my current 60's convertible is due for a new top now, and that isn't cheap on any car.
I figured the rf has the win there but only if you are owning it for 10 years plus.
if not it really doesn't matter I guess. I do like they looks of the rf, but haven't driven one. might not be as cool as the convertible, as you say, you don't really get the same experience in a t-top type car, I would guess the rf is similar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I've ridden in others' Miata convertibles and had an RF loaner for a week.  I really liked the RF over the regular Miata because we have winters here.  When I was ready to buy, I actually went and got a hard top convertible BMW because I needed the rear seat for storage.

But if I went back to Mazda, I'd get the RF because I just liked it better.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#15]
If you lived here I'd say RF all day. Only tourists in rental Mustangs do top down here.

We looked at RF's last year, just couldn't justify blowing $40K cash on a weekday lunch adventure vehicle that will lucky to see 2-3K miles a year. I put new Konigs and sticky rubber on my '00 NB factory hard top garage queen with 105K miles I've owned for 15 years instead. Headed for lunch at Corky Bells in it today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct.  I have had more random women approach and ask me about my FIAT 124 Spider than all of my previous vehicles put together.  I old and happily married though, so it really is not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the looks of the RF. But if you plan to track the car, go with the soft top since they don't make good bars for the RF. Can't go wrong with either. I have an NC soft top since I wanted the more room inside.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Convertible it is.  I really like the looks of the RF, but for a fair-weather fun-only car, I think the convertible is the way to go.  I've contacted 16 dealers within a 250 mile radius.  Given used pricing at the moment, if I can find a dealer that's not doing a "market adjustment" I think buying new is the way to go.  Besides, it seems the paint on the soul red (which I want) is notoriously prone to chipping, so I'll probably get a clear wrap shortly after it leaves the dealer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m a Mazda dealer- Mazda is not allocating any Mx5’s currently- and not giving any ETA’s. (Maybe allocating 1 per 10-20 dealers per every quarter)which is nothing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm a Mazda dealer- Mazda is not allocating any Mx5's currently- and not giving any ETA's. (Maybe allocating 1 per 10-20 dealers per every quarter)which is nothing.
View Quote
Well, that sucks.  I was told by a dealer to expect a 3-9 month wait, which I guess is essentially the same thing.  Same as with all things, explains why the prices of used are so high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top