Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2020 5:17:48 PM EDT
I recently got a new job in Japan, and with it a big promotion so I decided to treat myself. Found it fitting that my favorite brand recently has been WhistlePig and then I saw this: Samurai Scientist.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
HAI!

Congrats on the promotion, hope the whiskey is only bettered by the new job!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the job.  Debated buying a bottle of that on Christmas Eve, but just couldn't pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've said it before, but congrats on the new job and enjoy the bottle!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on the job.  Debated buying a bottle of that on Christmas Eve, but just couldn't pull the trigger.
View Quote

That’s when I pulled the trigger.

I’m excited to get it and try it. Hopefully it doesn’t convince me I need to buy the rest of the Boss Hog bottles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Received the bottle today.

Had my first taste of it. It’s closer to scotch overall taste than rye which I wasn’t expecting but it’s damn delicious. At $500 per bottle I won’t be buying all the time but I really like it. I’m looking forward to enjoying it for months to come and maybe another bottle of Boss Hog for my next big life event.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice! I’ll be by in an hour for a taste!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice! I’ll be by in an hour for a taste!
View Quote

It's a long flight to Japan, but come on over.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just realized how that sounded.....

View Quote

Just bring tequila and mezcal. I cannot survive on Jose Cuervo gold
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will bring all the good mezcal if you can guide me to the best sushi.

On second thought, my buddy who owned a really good sushi bar in CDM said sushi is $$$$$ in Japan. Probably outa my league...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mezcal is booming in japan right now. It's a huge import all the sudden.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On second thought, my buddy who owned a really good sushi bar in CDM said sushi is $$$$$ in Japan. Probably outa my league...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I was here, my then gf now wife and I ate at Sukiyabashi Jiro for a meager $500 each. It was something. I just stick to sushi-go rounds now lol

Quoted:

Mezcal is booming in japan right now. It's a huge import all the sudden.

I hope so, I can't find a single bottle locally. Also, even more sadness is that Clase Azul has no Japan distributor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also, even more sadness is that Clase Azul has no Japan distributor.
View Quote

That junk is so pumped full of glycerin, sweeteners, and flavor additives I don't know if japan would let it come in anyways. You're definitely not missing out on anthing there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That junk is so pumped full of glycerin, sweeteners, and flavor additives I don't know if japan would let it come in anyways. You're definitely not missing out on anthing there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, even more sadness is that Clase Azul has no Japan distributor.

But it's so good and not just because of the fancy bottles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But it's so good and not just because of the fancy bottles.
View Quote

It's a terrible quality tequila in a pretty bottle that relies on the maximum legal amount of additives to create a sweet flavor that taste nothing like tequila. If the CRT changed the regulation tomorrow to bar flavor additives no one would buy a bottle of it ever again.

The guy who started it actually tried to launch a terrible mixto first with a sombrero for the lid and it didn't sell. So he went to school and finished his masters in marketing and said he wanted to focus on a perception of luxury. It's all curated to make people think they have something nice. Give a proper tequila a try and if you still want on the sweet side check out el tesoro paradiso or tears of llarona. Both completely additive free naturally made tequilas that are amazing
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's a terrible quality tequila in a pretty bottle that relies on the maximum legal amount of additives to create a sweet flavor that taste nothing like tequila. If the CRT changed the regulation tomorrow to bar flavor additives no one would buy a bottle of it ever again.

The guy who started it actually tried to launch a terrible mixto first with a sombrero for the lid and it didn't sell. So he went to school and finished his masters in marketing and said he wanted to focus on a perception of luxury. It's all curated to make people think they have something nice. Give a proper tequila a try and if you still want on the sweet side check out el tesoro paradiso or tears of llarona. Both completely additive free naturally made tequilas that are amazing
View Quote

It may not be "pure" but it's still tasty. The bottles are easily 100% marketing. To be fair though, I mix them into cocktails.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I really appreciate your posts here Woafp, I learn something new just about every time you post.
I pretty much lean towards cask stregth by choice these days, but there was a day when knob creek smoked maple was my go to.

The artificial flavors tend to get folks interested in spirits that might not have tried them othgerwise, so I can see a place for them in the market, unfortunately.
I have a ton to learn about agave spirits and its a bit overwhelming, glad to have you here.
View Quote

Tequila has an unfortunate side to it that is really hard to address coming from whiskey, and that is the legally allowed additives and how poorly they are defined/regulated.

If i buy a bourbon, I know there is no colorant or flavoring. If i buy a scotch, I know that the most they can add is caramel coloring made only out of sugar. If I buy an armagnac, I know that they can add boise which is regulated in only this percentage, and caramel coloring. Tequila is allowed to have 1% of it's volume made up of additives that are cleared as food safe. So that includes sweeteners that are 10K times more sweet than sugar. That includes Glycerin to add a rich mouthfeel to young tequila to make it seem like it was aged longer or better made. That includes ammonia based food coloring to add dark coloring to look like it was aged. And to me almost worst of all, it includes actual flavorants. Vanilla concentrate made out of petroleum byproducts, cupcake flavoring, even cherry and cola concentrates used for flavoring large batches of soda at the industrial level. That is why you'll see me be so vocal about things like clase azul and adictivo. These are products pumped full of questionable ingredients that are used to completely overpower the influence of a plant that grew for 7-15 years. Those same additives could be added to vodka and give nearly the same flavor. None of us would imagine spending hundreds of dollars on cupcake vodka, but people do all the time for cheaply made cupcake tequila.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

El Tesoro Paradiso is one of my all time favorite tequilas. By far the best blend and truly shows off the potential of tequila. I used to be able to find it around here but sadly it is no longer available locally. I need to find it somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Nah all good. Discussion of all high quality liquor is appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top