Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2023 12:07:41 PM EDT
I've been lazy about making this post but I just looked thru some of the other dog threads and realized how much I loved seeing other pooches so figured I'd share.
This is our 3rd Giant but as our 2nd one was an adoption of an adult we haven't had a puppy in a LONG time.
He started out super stubborn and strong willed though very sweet. He's really smart but still gets "puppy brain" when he is out in the yard playing and you call him. It sometimes takes a min for the command to hit the cpu.
Meet Murphy.
This is the on the ride home from picking him up from the breeder.

Doing what he does best.

Our old girl Bella (130lb Mastador) doesn't like new things including asshole little brothers but he finally wore her down and now they spend their play time gnawing on each other.

He is finally done with his ear posts thank goodness. He and Bella were hell on those things. We were constantly repairing or replacing them.
He's right at 5 mos and 40 something lbs.

Just for reference this is Bella with our previous female GS Lulu. She was 95lb. I'm thinking Murphy will be at least that big. Our previous male was 125lb. I called him my pet Moose.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking pup! He also looks smart enough to know how to cause trouble.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good looking dog.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve entertained trying one of these breed out, but none were available when looking & I got another GSD.

I read they are similar in temperament, drive, family, and guarding.

Look forward to hear more when your pup is all grown up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]

A lady was showing her dog at all of the local shows but despite having a tremendous dog, she never placed higher than third. She cornered one of the judges after one show and asked why her dog never won.

"Well, the problem is that your dog has too much hair between its toes and we have to deduct points because of that. You have a great dog, but it’s not winning because of the hair between its toes."

Upset, the lady says, "I trim it as close as possible! What can I do!?"

"Well", the judge said, "go to the pharmacy and get some liquid hair remover and put it between your dog’s toes. You’ll be able to pull the hair right out and you’ll win best in show, I guarantee it!"

So the lady rushed to the pharmacy to find the liquid hair remover. She went up and down every aisle but couldn’t find it. The pharmacist saw her searching and asked if he could help.

"I’m looking for liquid hair remover, and I can’t find it."

The pharmacist said, "It’s on aisle ten. I’ll show you." He walked her over and picked up the bottle. As he handed it to her he said, "Now, after you use this, you can’t wear panty hose for a couple of days because the chemicals will bond the nylon to your skin."

The lady said, "Oh, it’s not for my legs, it’s for my schnauzer."

And the pharmacist said, "Well in that case, don’t ride a bicycle for at least a week."
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
I’ve entertained trying one of these breed out, but none were available when looking & I got another GSD.

I read they are similar in temperament, drive, family, and guarding.

Look forward to hear more when your pup is all grown up.
View Quote

Love GSDs but can't deal with all the shedding. We had a gsd mix. VERY smart dog. There were situations where she didnt like something and instinctively put herself between us and whatever she didnt like.
Giants are occasionally used for Police work still but they are more hard headed than GSD from what I understand. Giants seem to stay puppies forever. Love to play and be big dorks but are protective.
Otto (my pet Moose) would always try to prevent the kids from running and jumping in the pool. Drove them crazy but Im sure in his mind he was trying to protect them from certain death.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Good looking pup!
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Are these hypo-allergenic like the smaller ones?  I think I'm ready for a new dog but don't feel like dealing with the allergies.  Had a GSD that I ended up being pretty allergic to after awhile.  Been around miniature schnauzers with no problems though.  I just can't deal with the high pitched yapping.

I assume the Giants have some decent bass to their bark?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
Are these hypo-allergenic like the smaller ones?  I think I'm ready for a new dog but don't feel like dealing with the allergies.  Had a GSD that I ended up being pretty allergic to after awhile.  Been around miniature schnauzers with no problems though.  I just can't deal with the high pitched yapping.

I assume the Giants have some decent bass to their bark?
View Quote

Yes. Mostly. They dont shed per se but they do lose a little hair. Some folks will say they are a completely different breed than the minis and they are. We've had 4 minis and IMO as far as being hypo allergenic they are. I have bad allergies and some dogs make me itchy but never have an issue with Giants or Minis. They also don't get stinky like a lot of dogs. Our Mastador smells like a dirty vacuum cleaner bag about a day after being washed. The giants only smell a little if they've been outside all day but then so do I.
The trade off is grooming. I groomed them when we had two minis and Otto the first Giant. It was work but I did ok. After they all passed I decided from now on we're getting them done professionally so I can enjoy them vs always feeling like I needed to give them a groom. Its spendy as hell for a Giant but money well spent in my book. Depending on your groomer you could be looking at $125 - $175 per groom. We always wanted to have a pair of them and have plans to get a 2nd one. Lawd that grooming bill is going to be sucky.

They do get a big dog bark. Both of our previous ones liked to lead off with a blood curdling BAROOOOOO! then start barking. So many funny Barooo related stories.

Gaming with my friend on the xbox. Lulu (aka Lulu Baroo) would hear something and Baroo! and I could hear my friend jump thru the headset. Every time.
One time we were camping and a big family came walking down the road. Kids and ladies were walking up front and Lulu just looks at them all happy/friendly as they passed. The men were in back looking a little drunk. Lulu was just watching. One guys says, "That one needs a saddle." Lulu says, "BAROOOOOO!" Startled him so bad he fell down. ROFL. We laughed. He laughed. All the other campers around laughed.

Murphy hasn't touched one of those off yet but his bark is already getting down there. Its only a matter of time.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackbird_Pilot] [#9]
Murphy update.
He's growing like crazy. Its been a couple weeks since his last vet visit but he was 66lb then. He is exactly 8 mos old today.
So far hes a really good pup but still has puppy brain sometimes of course.
We put him in a "Puppy School" back in May more for socialization than anything since he was already well beyond most of the super simple stuff they do at one of these intro puppy courses.

He went on his first "camping" trip (we glamp) and did really well.

At this point we hadn't been able to coax him into the pool but at the lake he was swimming around like it was his job.

We hoped that would make him more ready for the pool but nope. I think the stairs were what was scaring him. We were patient and just let him hang out (and eat the wifes plants) while we swam.

Finally when he was acting like he really wanted in I carried him down and sat on the steps with him for a bit.
He got comfortable with that and coming down on the steps on his own.

Then he started reaching out a paw. I would take that one then he'd give me the other one and let me slowly pull him off the step. It was comical but also a cool display of trust on his part.
He started swimming around more and more. Let me say he is the worst dog swimmer I've ever seen but he was in there having fun.
Then we had this idea. Didn't think he would stay on but he proved me wrong. He seemed to love to floating around on this thing.

My wife decided he needed his own rig. I didn't even know they had such a thing but she picked this up and Petsmart. Not sure if this makes him a Captain.

He likes it. He went from not wanting to get in the pool to swimming around like Jacques Fucking Cousteau. When he gets tired he heads to the stairs or swims over to get loaded into his boat.

We are picking up his new baby sister (also a GS) in a couple weeks. She needs to grow fast so he will have someone to wear him out. Our old Mastador just doesnt have the gas to play anymore.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Good looking pup! He looks like he is smart enough to get into trouble too!
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
We just got back from 10 days at a nice little lake in TX.
Murphy was a rockstar. For an 8 month old puppy to just chill in the backseat of the truck for the 9hr drive was fantastic.
I'm beginning to think this dog is part otter. He swam until he was ready to drop then would go nap in the camper.
He immediately busted out of his crate and just napped elsewhere sometimes even going back into his crate so we gave him run of the camper and he was fine.

When we got home he went into the back yard for a pee and then immediately jumped in the pool.
Yesterday we went and picked up his sister, Hazel. She's just over 8 weeks old. Man she is sweet and feisty. I think she'll be running this place soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I think they're going to get along just fine.
Most of the time Murphy acts like a school boy who can't help acting like a dope showing off for his crush.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The puppers are doing good. Growing like crazy. Murphy is 11 mos and around 75lb and Hazel is reeling him in. Shes 5/6 mos and 40ish.

We took a beach trip around the 1st of Sep. and they did great. They are fantastic in the car.
Mostly just chilling/napping in the back seat.

Occasionally they would wake up and look around or help navigate or...I think I got about 437 wet willies on that trip.

They loved hanging/playing on the beach.

They really loved the golf cart and just chilled and took in the sites when we went on beach cruises.

We're running them thru some puppy obedience/good citizen type classes to help socialize them and so they don't grow up to be 100lb a-holes.
Hazels first class.

She is very different that all our other Giants. Very chill and rarely barks. Unless she is playing with Murphy. Then shes a maniac.
Having a pair of them is great. They romp and play bitey face and then drop over for naps.

They are helpers.

Mama had to get them halloween costumes.

Hazel still comes over and either attacks or snuggles up for a nap. Its pretty adorable. Poor Murph-dawg.

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Love the photos, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
We've had three mini schnauzers over the years.  Always wanted a giant, but could never find one when we were looking.  Absolutely love the breed.  Best dogs!  Your two look awesome!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Hazel has been napping under the tree in the evening when we are watching tv. I guess she thinks she is a gift.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Great dogs!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

A lady was showing her dog at all of the local shows but despite having a tremendous dog, she never placed higher than third. She cornered one of the judges after one show and asked why her dog never won.

"Well, the problem is that your dog has too much hair between its toes and we have to deduct points because of that. You have a great dog, but it’s not winning because of the hair between its toes."

Upset, the lady says, "I trim it as close as possible! What can I do!?"

"Well", the judge said, "go to the pharmacy and get some liquid hair remover and put it between your dog’s toes. You’ll be able to pull the hair right out and you’ll win best in show, I guarantee it!"

So the lady rushed to the pharmacy to find the liquid hair remover. She went up and down every aisle but couldn’t find it. The pharmacist saw her searching and asked if he could help.

"I’m looking for liquid hair remover, and I can’t find it."

The pharmacist said, "It’s on aisle ten. I’ll show you." He walked her over and picked up the bottle. As he handed it to her he said, "Now, after you use this, you can’t wear panty hose for a couple of days because the chemicals will bond the nylon to your skin."

The lady said, "Oh, it’s not for my legs, it’s for my schnauzer."

And the pharmacist said, "Well in that case, don’t ride a bicycle for at least a week."
View Quote

Just about shot coffee through my nose,  funny stuff there.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top