Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2021 7:43:27 PM EDT
I remember GM started doing this a while back, looks like Ford finally decided to follow along.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/08/2021-ford-f-150-can-be-built-without-start-stop-under-new-plan/

According to a letter sent to Ford dealers that was seen by Cars Direct, consumers now have the option to remove the auto start-stop feature from their pickups through the end of 2021. Those that choose to do so will receive a $50 credit and will presumably see their trucks being delivered a little sooner, due to supply constraints.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good start.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to know what chip it is so if I ever get an F150 I can rip it out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad they put a stop to it
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
that's not a bad thing
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
that shit is for pussy liberals anyway.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Call up Ford and see if they will buy the chip back from you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It goes away with a tune too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an '18 F150 3.5 Eco with that feature.

I didn't care for it at first.  I would have jumped at the option to get the truck without it.

I'll admit that the start/stop doesn't bother me at all now though.  

I agree its not worth holding up delivery.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Now if only we could get them to get rid of the computers running the stupid touchscreens and stuff that are not necessary for driving.

Shave the chips back to the ECU and BCM and keep it there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know there's a button to disable it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]

IIRC it only works until the next time you turn off the vehicle, next time you start it up you have to hit it again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So does GMs shitty AFM
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]

You shouldn't have to press a damn button every time you start the truck to disable something nobody asked for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So does GMs shitty AFM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does GMs shitty AFM

Unfortunately the parts that frag the top end of your engine are still there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My mom bought a 2021 Edge with it. Can't stand it and pushes the button before driving like it's bad for fuel. 'mom I think we can turn it off' 'i don't think so, it's fine. damn, I forgot to hit the button'
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to press a damn button every time you start the truck to disable something nobody asked for.
View Quote

x1000000000

Seems like some eco nazi idea the manufacturers were "persuaded" into by big gub ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad they put a stop to it
View Quote

I hate that feature and turn it off every time
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would like to receive issues of your newsletter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
What else does the chip do?  Can’t just be for Start/Stop feature.

I use the jumper wire on the back of switch trick to disable it.  I hate auto start stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I drive my ‘21 in sport mode anyway, that disables it by default.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait a minute. So all this talk about not being able to produce as many vehicles because of a chip shortage and the chip is just for a start/stop feature that saves on some gas? That’s one of the dumbest things. Stop hamstringing your company with some stupid tech. Just sell some damn trucks to people. 99% of buyers probably don’t give a shit about start/stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What else does the chip do?  Can’t just be for Start/Stop feature.

I use the jumper wire on the back of switch trick to disable it.  I hate auto start stop.
View Quote

That would be my concern. As far as I know, there isn't a dedicated chip to the auto stop/start functionality. As much as I'd love it to be an option to begin with, I just wonder how many maintenance issues this might lead in the future when you are left fixing a truck with an option that was only available during half a model year.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I hated it at first. My new truck doesn’t have it and the first time I stopped at a light I was like why the fuck is this thing still running?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
We have that on our new Honda Pilot.  I was leery of it at first but we have got into the habit of disengaging as part of starting up the vehicle.  If we forget it is no big deal and can be disabled at any time.

No big deal
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Almost worth trading up for a new one for that
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#26]
You can disable it with Forscan. On the Gen 13's (and I doubt the 2021/2022 are different) you can disable ASS bu\y disconnecting the black wire on the left side under the steering wheel, takes about 3sec. That will disable the trailer brake lights so plug it in if you plan to town. It doesn't effect the battery management system or anything else.

On the 2021/2022 V8 you can disable the deactivation buy disconnecting one wire on the harness attached to the the battery.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's a good start.
View Quote

All puns aside, the start stop thing is one of the most annoying features I have ever seen on any vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the parts that frag the top end of your engine are still there.
View Quote

Sadly this, install the elimination kit (cam, lifters).
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]
can I pay $50 to have mine removed?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I drove a rental that had that - I assume this relates to the engine start/stop and red lights and whatnot. It was the most annoying thing I ever drove.  Maybe others do it better but this was so jarring and noticeable that it was bothersome.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I hate that feature
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]
You can permanently disable it with forscan. I keep forgetting to do this to my Ranger.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Auto start/stop should have never been a thing. Bean counting faggots are to blame.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Auto start/stop should have never been a thing. Bean counting faggots are to blame.
View Quote

No.  That would be our precious government.  Without whom  we would not be forging the future by fining companies for producing cars and engines people wanted.

Bean counters just make sure its using the shittiest cheapest parts they can source that will do the job and not cost too much in lawsuits and recalls.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad they stopped something that should never have been started.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I got used to it in my Ecoboost but it seems so utterly fucking pointless I still cant wrap my head around why it exists. Saving a gallon of gas over 5 years?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I turned mine off immediately using FORSCAN.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or you could just press the button to turn it off
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

IIRC it only works until the next time you turn off the vehicle, next time you start it up you have to hit it again.
View Quote

exactly - every fricking time.. other brands it remembers... not ford
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Cost me a hundred bucks for the permanent bypass..
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No.  That would be our precious government.  Without whom  we would not be forging the future by fining companies for producing cars and engines people wanted.

Bean counters just make sure its using the shittiest cheapest parts they can source that will do the job and not cost too much in lawsuits and recalls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is financial incentive from the gov for manufacturers to have non-defeatable, defeatable (resets every time the car is turned off), or omitted altogether. Bean counters chose the middle ground in many models. It’s bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There was financial incentive from the gov for manufacturers to have non-defeatable, defeatbale (resets every time the car is turned off), or omitted altogether. Bean counters chose the middle ground in many models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was financial incentive from the gov for manufacturers to have non-defeatable, defeatbale (resets every time the car is turned off), or omitted altogether. Bean counters chose the middle ground in many models.

I always figured it was a CAFE thing.
And that Ford will get hosed by govt for shipping units without it.

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wait a minute. So all this talk about not being able to produce as many vehicles because of a chip shortage and the chip is just for a start/stop feature that saves on some gas? That’s one of the dumbest things. Stop hamstringing your company with some stupid tech. Just sell some damn trucks to people. 99% of buyers probably don’t give a shit about start/stop.
View Quote

No, there's 1,400 plus chips in a newer vehicle doing a bunch of different things.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#45]
It's the only way the big three can meet their CAFE standards (fuel economy) since they have so many gas guzzlers in their line up. CAFE is based on fleet average. I have a 17' Lexus and it's not equipped with that bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Just perform this simple procedure..
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Are we still going to save the planet now?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys with Fords can disable the start/stop forever with a free program called Forscan.   It's handy as hell if you ever have to diagnose a problem and there are all kinds of " easter eggs/changes " that you can program into your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you!  Exactly my thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#50]
We have a 2019 Grand Cherokee and I like the stop/start.  Barely notice it at all.  In my last job I drove a Subaru Forester and it was very noticeable and annoying, shaking the vehicle when the engine shut off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top