Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 9:49:21 AM EDT
I have an old 110v MAC Tools MIG (Italian made), that has always sucked.  I rigged up a new chinese wire drive and it worked better, but I am tired of fighting with it.  Plus there are only 4 power choices via switch (Min 1 or 2/Max 1 or 2).  

So after trying to weld up my kid's go kart, I decided it was a good excuse to order a new welder.  I initially was going to just go to Harbor Freight and get the Titanium 140, but F*** Harbor Freight and their new pricing structure.  The Titanium 140 is now $440, which is $90 more than they were going for last year.  

Tons of options priced anywhere from $250 to $3,000+ for a true MIG welder.  I know 110v is weak, but wanted to be in the $300 -$400 range.  After searching and weighing my options, I am taking a chance on the Everlast Cyclone 140e priced at $375.  New 2021 model that has a digital interface, no reviews and the manual is not available for download.  

Link to welder: https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/cyclone-140e?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPV34f61r33lk-Wa9OaJUDH8c-Pl8jNkc5JolhWHtTmH7ZAySZxlIskaAgA1EALw_wcB

So what am I in for, will it be decent or pure garbage?
I will post a review once I receive it and test it out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Any 120v welder will suck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good info, it looks like this machine has "power set" which will have pre-set recommendations based on gas type and material.  It will be interesting to see if it gets it in the ballpark.  I know 120V machines have limitations, but should be plenty for the type of stuff that I do (minor repair work on mowers, go karts, ect.; all hobby based welding 1/4" and thinner).
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good info, it looks like this machine has "power set" which will have pre-set recommendations based on gas type and material.  It will be interesting to see if it gets it in the ballpark.  I know 120V machines have limitations, but should be plenty for the type of stuff that I do (minor repair work on mowers, go karts, ect.; all hobby based welding 1/4" and thinner).
View Quote
I had a 110 that was ok.

getting a good regulator made a big difference as well as running it on a 20 A circuit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a HF Vulcan Omnipro 220 to get a multimode welder. I had the use of maintenance shop equipment for over 40 years before retirement last fall. I have only used it for stick welding, but can't decide where to setup shield gas for TIG or MIG. At work, I mostly used TIG for repair welding. Hope your MIG works for you because my machine has the same basic feed mechanism.

RS
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a HF Vulcan Omnipro 220 to get a multimode welder. I had the use of maintenance shop equipment for over 40 years before retirement last fall. I have only used it for stick welding, but can't decide where to setup shield gas for TIG or MIG. At work, I mostly used TIG for repair welding. Hope your MIG works for you because my machine has the same basic feed mechanism.

RS
View Quote
Kind of annoying, isnt it?  In the end I have 2 gas types, 100ar and C25.  If I want to setup for spray I slide some ar into the c25 and attempt to get close to 90/10.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the welder and finally had a chance to set it up.  
I am running .030 wire with 25-CO2/75 Argon mix.  I am not sure the alloy of steel, but it was slightly under 1/8" thick.

Pics attached of a few quick welds and the machine itself.  Don't mind the voltage/wire speed on the display as that was prior to me using the Easy Set for 1/8" steel.  It gives a range for each thickness, so the initial butt joint was probably a little hot.  I turned it down to the lower end of the range for the remaining welds since my material was slightly under 1/8".  

Overall for the quick few welds, I am pleased with the performance.  I still need to do a lot more practice, so don't be too hard on me for my crap welds!  

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kH77LjRf13XbHQu7A
Top Top