Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 4:28:18 PM EDT
Looking for some help with this plan...We are building a new house and I will soon need to be making real moves for some home theater equipment.

The house we are building is here, floor plan is basically as shown with minimal modifications.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/country-craftsman-house-plan-with-optional-second-floor-46325la

We are doing a version of the larger upstairs option so the area over the kitchen will be open/loft area.

What I am struggling with is whether my audio video plan is a good one for the downstairs, This is a general TV/sports/entertaining area so I don't have any illusions that it will be "perfect" in all respects.  I just don't want to make big mistakes.

So here goes, what do you think?

Positions 1 & 3 - Mounted horizontally over what will be sliding glass doors.  Klipsch R-5502 II

Position 2 -  This is a stone fireplace.  It is for unvented gas logs so no flue to contend with. 65" (maybe larger) OLED TV.  Center channel speaker also a Klipsch R-5502 inset into the stone. and the grille painted to match or black.

Position 4 & 5 - CDT-5800-C II .  Mounted in the ceiling.  Note that ceiling is vaulted and coffered.  It is close to 20' on the high side.

Position 6 and 8 - Klipsh RW-5802 II In wall sub.  Powered by Klipsh RSA-500

Position 7 & 9 - Klipsh R-5800-W II  These will have to be relatively low and off center because of the location of the staircase.

Position A -All AV gear will be installed in what is labeled Dining Room on the plan (we are flip flopping dining room and office locations)  This spot will be the center for AV gear, security cameras, internet connectivity etc for the whole house.

Receiver - Marantz SR7011 (have one new in box)
Content via Apple TV

Other: I'll likely also add two outdoor speakers on the covered porch as a second zone.  If so I'll add a Marantz 2ch amp to power them.

I'm hoping to use a Harmony Elite Remote Hub to control it all.

Questions:

Am I making any big mistakes here or are there things I could tweak to improve?  I know the TV position is a compromise but as deep as the room is I think I'm okay with it.

The house is over a full basement, can I use a very long HDMI cable to get signal to the Television from point "A" or is this distance (30' or so) too much?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every inside corner in the outside of the foundation is a probable water trap conducting water directly to the basement.  The roof is a mess.
View Quote
Thanks, was asking about the AV plan.  Builder is more than comfortable with the design and I've walked through probably a dozen homes he has built with inside corners etc.  No wet basements.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
tv above fireplace.

not going any further, thats too big a fail
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
tv above fireplace.

View Quote
Thanks for the very detailed answer.  I know the location isn't ideal, but given the layout of the room there aren't a ton of choices that I see.  This isn't some dedicated viewing room.  Its a general purpose family room.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
everything is a compromise.

i did look up the sub.  for the price is very weak.  it goes to 45hz and cost 1400.
for that price you can get a nice sub.

main speakers should be at ear level.

head over to avs they can help you
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
everything is a compromise.

i did look up the sub.  for the price is very weak.  it goes to 45hz and cost 1400.
for that price you can get a nice sub.

main speakers should be at ear level.

head over to avs they can help you
View Quote
Thanks, I will check avs out. The comment on the sub is what I’m looking for. Whatever the best equipment option is or what I should be looking at changing...within bounds of what the room is going to be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Your in-wall sub in position 8 - that location under the stairs is marked as storage.  Will there be a closet or shelves or just an open area?  Depending on what you are doing, that is a perfect spot for a custom sub.  Is that the best location for a sub in the room?  Probably not but you have to work with your layout.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the very detailed answer.  I know the location isn't ideal, but given the layout of the room there aren't a ton of choices that I see.  This isn't some dedicated viewing room.  Its a general purpose family room.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tv above fireplace.

I'll jump in.  It's tacky as hell and it puts your screen at an uncomfortable viewing height.  In my mind thats completely non negotiable.  I would modify my floor plan before accepting that if that had to be a TV room.

You do have an opportunity to rotate your entire scheme 90 degrees counter clockwise so your TV is on the wall near #4.  Maybe nix the double door to the office to gain wall space.  Then you can set next to your fire and watch tv rather than face your fire and cock your head up to watch tv.

Another issue is that having a TV flanked by outdoor facing glass is going to make TV watching suck during daylight hours.

My dad has a Floorplan somewhat similar to yours and they just don't have a TV in that room at all.  The TV is in what you are calling an office and he calls his den.

ETA:  Don't take the "tacky as hell" comment personally.  It's your stuff so if you like it, then roll with it.  I'm just giving you another thing to think about.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Old thread I know, but we did end up rotating the layout 90*. Putting a “the frame” Samsung in the wall and not over the fireplace. More or less just having the tv but de-emphasizing it in this room. Doing a separate more dedicated media room upstairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top