Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2022 12:27:43 PM EDT
Apologize.. im sure there has to be another thread already going on this... just didnt see one

Most are probably tracking the news that came out last month about the amnesty etc.

What confuses me is that this (registered pistol w/brace) appears to be falling under the SBR classification rather than a new classification.

Ive seen all the talk about the 4 options (SBR it / give it up / jail / fine) and about eforms taking 87 years to go through all the applications ---

But what I don't see is any discussion about pistols that can not classify as SBR due to their OAL. In Maryland this is 29" (WHICH SUCKS)... but there are a great many pistols that wont make the ATF's 26" either.

Since I dont see any options for this... and this will be classified as an SBR (instead of some new classification), does that mean the ATF will require the handover of all weapons that can't be classified as an SBR? --- I mean if you can't SBR, you dont want to go to jail or be fined... am I suppose to relinquish my property without reimbursement for something that was 100% legal for me to buy????
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit338] [#1]
Speculation is as speculation does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
In most cases to remain a handgun all you have to do is remove the brace. If your state law restricts SBR's that may be your only option
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh. HA. Yes... OK. So they are not forcing me to relinquish it. I just have to takeoff the brace. (DUH)

poop scoop. That sucks. But is better than alternative.

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
In most cases to remain a handgun all you have to do is remove the brace. If your state law restricts SBR's that may be your only option
View Quote

Ok.
Say someone has 87 braced pistols.
None would meet whatever the crazy point system rules are to stay a pistol.
They don’t buy any stamps.
They remove all the braces.

What are the ones/cases that are now not legally a pistol with no brace on them?
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have paid Zero attention to this crap since it started being talked about.

Has any law or rules actually changed or is it all still being talked about?

Asking for a friend who I think has a few questionable items, so I can factually advise him...
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Ok.

What are the ones/cases that are now not legally a pistol with no brace on them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok.

For 99% of braced pistols you can just slide the brace off and be good. I'm sure there's probably some obscure gun out there where the brace is integral and would require other modifications, that's why I qualified my statement with "most" and not "all".
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]

For 99% of braced pistols you can just slide the brace off and be good. I'm sure there's probably some obscure gun out there where the brace is integral and would require other modifications, that's why I qualified my statement with "most" and not "all".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok.

Ok, I thought you were referring to some specific setups, tube types, etc. I did not know about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Ok.

View Quote

Just FYI (not that its not a massive pain in the d*&k) based on the info we have ATF is going to do an amnesty on this... ie, tax stamp for free - no $200 charge. which doesnt help me because of my local SBR laws... but idk, though maybe germane to your outlined example
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djp003] [#9]
Originally Posted By smullen:
I have paid Zero attention to this crap since it started being talked about.

Has any law or rules actually changed or is it all still being talked about?

Asking for a friend who I think has a few questionable items, so I can factually advise him...
View Quote

Based on what is known now, obviously the Aug ruling timeline was pushed back. Many thought that maybe ATF was going to back down or change their ruling and BS point scale (basically everything with a brace will fail under their point scale and have to be a SBR, rather than a pistol w/ pistol brace).

But not it appears the delay was just to get the Eform process more stable. Ruling with new regs is supposed to come out mid novermber after election and I believe go into effect in Dec.

You can submit your weapon ,that fails per their point system to be a pistol w/ legal brace, as an SBR. ATF is granting amnesty, so there is no cost. But the document released included a bunch of BS... you have to submit pics or yourself and finger prints, PLUS pictures of your weapon on the new revised form 1.

Else, if you dont want to register, you can relinquish the weapon, or pay a $250k fine and/or go to jail....... or what they left out the other obvious option not mention but pointed out above - just remove the brace -- which I assume would then allow your weapon to meet the new point scale criteria to be classified as a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
So,
Is anything happening with this?
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By djp003:

Just FYI (not that its not a massive pain in the d*&k) based on the info we have ATF is going to do an amnesty on this... ie, tax stamp for free - no $200 charge. which doesnt help me because of my local SBR laws... but idk, though maybe germane to your outlined exampleI
View Quote
Hopefully this entire brace thing is dead in the water.  But if they do offer amnesty.   Free SBR's for all?  Wonder if Short barrel shotguns count?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top