Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2017 7:08:53 PM EDT
I made a 1 gallon batch of blackberry last year that turned out really good, so I decided to make a 3 gallon batch, but I changed up some things trying to change the flavor profile a bit.

This 3 gallon batch started with 8lbs of honey and 6 lbs of blackberrys. I used Lalvin 71B-1122 red white wine yeast and the usual other items, such as acid blend and pectic enzyme. I initially fed the yeast with 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1 tsp of yeast energizer. After 7 days I fed it with 1 tsp nutrient and 1/2 energizer. This sent the yeast to work at a tremendous pace. The bubble rate dropped of a bunch after a couple of days and I had a lot of lees. Today I boiled 4 lbs of blackberries in 1 gallon of water, strained the berries out of the juice and while it cooled I racked the must.
After it had cooled enough I added blackberry juice to the must, filling the 3 gallon carboy up to the neck for a secondary fermentation. I have really good steady bubble rate and a nice color for new mead. I plan to feed the mead once more when the rate slows. Then age in the carboy until I get a clarity level I like.

Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Right on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Skål
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Fed again this morning with 1/2 Tsp of nutrient plus 1/4 tsp of pectic enzyme. The yeast went right to work with a new frenzy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Fed again this morning 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient. It briefly had a surge of activity and then went back to a 6 second bubble rate. It is starting to clear as shown in the first photo of this post. The next photo will give you some idea of the lees sinking to the bottom.

Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may try that next. I bet that's really freaking good.
View Quote
The last one I made was super tart and undrinkabley harsh at 6 months. At 11 months it was perfection....
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
A little over one month in. Racked and degassed today. It is really clearing up now. Beautiful color.

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks great.
View Quote
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to give this a try at the end of the month.

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
So say I'd like to make some mead. How much $ are we talking roughly? That looks delicious by the way
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So say I'd like to make some mead. How much $ are we talking roughly? That looks delicious by the way
View Quote
You'll need a couple of carboys. The 3 gallon ones are about $35.00 each. I pay just under $15.00 for 4 lbs of honey, so about $45.00 for a 3 gallon batch. I guess you'll need a couple of hundred dollars to get started, meybe a little more or less...
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]
@MCSquared this is one I am aging right now. It is beautiful. I am going to wait until it is one year old to try it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
@AMERIKINSHIP

The 5 gal carboys are about $20 in DFW (last I checked, to be fair it's been more than a few years).  You'll need a racking cane, bleach, "iodine", or other sanitizing agent.  You'll also eventually need bottles and a way to cork them.

I also use a mash bag (disposable) and a 5 gal food grade plastic bucket for the initial couple of weeks of fermentation.  After i cut up the fruit I squeeze it out into the mash bag (it's in the bucket), then tie it off and seal the bucket after pitching the yeast.  I like the full fruit, minus seeds/pits, in the initial fermentation.

But the most important thing to do when brewing is to keep a log.  Since most recipes are "off the cuff", at least for me, the log tracks what you did.  You can review the log the next time you brew a similar drink and make changes from that baseline.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
@buckshot_jim

Did you originally put the 6lbs of blackberries in with the honey for the initial fermentation or just use them for juice that you prepared for the 2nd?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@buckshot_jim

Did you originally put the 6lbs of blackberries in with the honey for the initial fermentation or just use them for juice that you prepared for the 2nd?
View Quote
I boiled them for 20 minutes in bottled water, then let them cool and strained out the solids. It makes for much clearer mead and leaves room for more liquid in the carboy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Screw all of that.... Where can I order my sampler??
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I boiled them for 20 minutes in bottled water, then let them cool and strained out the solids. It makes for much clearer mead and leaves room for more liquid in the carboy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@buckshot_jim

Primary or Secondary?

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Using any hops?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Primary or Secondary?

View Quote
If you will re-read the OP, it says that I used 6 lbs , then later I used 4 lbs. The 6 lbs was the primary, the 4 lbs in the secondary.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Using any hops?
View Quote
No, why?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, why?
View Quote
Am allergic.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you will re-read the OP, it says that I used 6 lbs , then later I used 4 lbs. The 6 lbs was the primary, the 4 lbs in the secondary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary or Secondary?

Reading is for people who buy their booze at the store, no one brewing has time fo dat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Reading is for people who buy their booze at the store, no one brewing has time fo dat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This 3 gallon batch started with 8lbs of honey and 6 lbs of blackberrys. I used Lalvin 71B-1122 red white wine yeast and the usual other items, such as acid blend and pectic enzyme. I initially fed the yeast with 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1 tsp of yeast energizer.
View Quote
First of all, looks good, sounds like a good recipe you have going there. I just wanted to mention that you should add your acid blend after primary fermentation, not before, it's not good for yeast health.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Somehow I missed drinking this Friday or Saturday night.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Somehow I missed drinking this Friday or Saturday night.  
View Quote
@backbencher

It is aging. It may be ready for the fall HTF thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

First of all, looks good, sounds like a good recipe you have going there. I just wanted to mention that you should add your acid blend after primary fermentation, not before, it's not good for yeast health.
View Quote
@djkest  thanks. Next time I'll do that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  @backbencher

It is aging. It may be ready for the fall HTF thing.
View Quote
Hopefully it ages better than you!  

Then again, Blackberry Mead is probably better w/o hair...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hopefully it ages better than you!  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Then again, Blackberry Mead is probably better w/o hair...
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Am allergic.  
View Quote
You are in luck. The vast majority of mead doesn't have any hops in it whatsoever. And I've never seen a wine that does, either.
It's also all gluten free (legally can't have grains in it).
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Just over 11 months old. I racked it for the final time and degassed. It stirred up some yeast and it's bubbling against at about 15 seconds. tasted okay, needs more time. it's just a little harsh at the finish. I'm guessing ready for Christmas.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I bottled today. It made 23, 375 ml bottles. It took just over 1 year from start to finish. My wife is a wine snob and tasted it. These are her thoughts:

" Dry but fruit forward. Very slightly woody. Good blackberry finish. I like the little tingle on the tip of the tongue."

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I love those bottles. Did you buy them locally?
The place I go to around here those are $1.60 - $2 each.

I recently bought a floor corker so I'll be doing more corked bottles in the future.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love those bottles. Did you buy them locally?
The place I go to around here those are $1.60 - $2 each.

I recently bought a floor corker so I'll be doing more corked bottles in the future.
View Quote
I bought them on amazon.

Amazon Product
  • 375 ml clear bottles
  • Great for wine
  • Cork finish

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Those look nice.  You busy over Christmas?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I just started next year's batch of this mead. I'm doubling the batch size.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Those look nice.  You busy over Christmas?
View Quote
Going to see the parents and such.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top