Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2023 10:05:30 PM EDT
It's taking me forever but I'm finally approaching end stage for finishing out my basement. Wife/kids want a home theater in the rec room area; space it's going into is 16'x20'x9'. I'm the opposite of an SME on all things audio. I've spent an hour or two on the AVS Forum and realized I'm probably not smart enough to ask detailed enough questions.

All the speakers will be in wall. Multipurpose room, so no ability to have freestanding subs, although there is a rear wall cabinet going in that might be able to house both of them if standard subs behind the viewing area are a better idea?

New frame construction, so I'm building backer boxes (1.2cf per the Klipsch rep) for the following Klipsch in wall speakers that I already have:

L/C/R: 3 x R-5502

L/R/Rear surrounds: 4 x R-5800

ceiling (ATMOS): 4 x CDT-3560

Questions:

-Does anyone have a recommendation for the two in-wall subwoofers/amp? Klispch has the RW-5802/RSA-500 combo, but I've ready a number of reviews that say they are overpriced for what you get. Budget is $1500-$1800 for two subs and an amp.

-Does anyone have a recommendation for a receiver? It'll feed an LG 4k 77" G2 TV and the above speakers; inputs will be an XBox/BluRay player and a couple streaming sources. Budget is $1000-$1500.

Much thanks in advance-
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to do in wall subs, just do custom infinite baffle, and use a DSP pro amp like a crown to power it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By H60Hdrvr:
-Does anyone have a recommendation for a receiver?  Budget is $1000-$1500.
View Quote
For that budget a refurbished Denon AVR-X3700h for $1000, and an Emotiva BASX A2 amp to drive the left and right channels for $500.

$2000 would probably put you in an refurbished AVR-X6700 if you can go there.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#3]
SVS just came out with an in-the-wall subwoofer solution using a pair of 9" speakers and an amplifier at $2000.

SVS In-the-Wall Subwoofer

I don't have one of those yet but I do have four different SVS subwoofers and they are all honest bang-for-your-buck performers. As you're framing in your basement they would be a perfect addition at this time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the response, Paul. I took delivery of the Klipsch enclosed in wall subwoofers a couple of weeks ago. Spent about $2k on those and a Dayton sub amp. I’d have probably gone with your suggestion…

I did follow the suggestions of the posters above. I’m going to post pics once I’m done building and installing all of the speaker backer boxes. My 15 year son pointed out we could easily connect the speakers in the boxes and as the amps/receiver are in a rack, we can test it all in place before we drywall. So that’s the plan.

Ended up with the following:
Denon AVR-4700 receiver
Emotiva BASx-A3 amp (for LCR speakers)
Klipsch R-5502 for LCR speakers
Klipsch R-5800 for LR and Rear surrounds
Klipsch CDT-3650 ATMOS overheads
Klipsch RW-5802 subwoofers (2)
Dayton SA-1000 subwoofer amp

12awg wiring and am tying it all together behind the AV rack cabinet (have a 19” server rack that will repurpose beautifully) with a TechTool Supply recessed speaker connection panel.

Probably not the ideal solution for all of this but I’m learning a ton in the in-between moments I have to work on it during the 60hr work weeks, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top