Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2022 7:37:29 AM EDT
A lot of speculation has risen around Tudor’s new release. I had figured it would have been another Black Bay. Instead, they re-released the Ranger.

TUDOR LINK

Very cool size. I think Tudor is starting to realize there’s a sweet spot around 39mm.

I like seeing Tudor’s movement in it. I think they did a disservice to the BB36 and BB41 by using an ETA movement.

The new Ranger sits at price range that was not really over-saturated. Seems like a great choice for those wanting the next step up from a Sinn 556, but not willing to step up to a Explorer 1 or Omega Railmaster.

A friend of mine has the North Flag. I personally did not like the North Flag at all. I found it almost repulsive. The yellow seconds hand and dial was too loud for me. The power reserve on an automatic has me scratching my head. But maybe, most of all, I hate the shape of the hands. For everyone that hates snowflake hands, I share the same feelings toward the rounded arrow hands. It just feels too playful and farther away from a serious tool watch.

The new Ranger is certainly less playful than the previous North Flag, but I still have a hard time with its ability to claim the tool watch aesthetic with those rounded arrow hands. I like the idea of having a watch meant to withstand the super cold climate of the artic, but I’m not sure this one speaks to me.

Looks like more of the case has a brushed finish. I really like this. I think the brushed finish adds SOOO much toward the tool watch look. I personally loved the brushed finish on sports watches.

The Ranger should be a strap monster. I think it’ll rock Natos or MN straps really well.

I’m not sure if this will be a huge homerun or not, but it is fun seeing Tudor release new products.

I’m anxious to hear what your guys thoughts are
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it could have a Timex, Seiko, Citizen, etc badge. There's really nothing original or special going on. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Only 100m water resistance and no bezel is a pass from me.  But that's me, right?

Similar to a Rolex Explorer, in my eyes.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like it could have a Timex, Seiko, Citizen, etc badge. There's really nothing original or special going on. Just sayin'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't disagree, but you could say the same with nearly any field watch. Typically with field watches you're getting a simple readable dial, printed indices, and a thin simple case. These are all characteristics that cheap watches do well.

Higher end field watches have perfection in simplicity and their movements. With the Ranger, you're getting super simple field watch with a good movement and I think it's priced accordingly.

I'd much prefer a Sinn 556 (better aesthetics, off the shelf movement, cheaper price) or a used Omega Railmaster (more interesting/arguably better movement, better finishing, more expensive) over the Ranger.

Quoted:
Only 100m water resistance and no bezel is a pass from me.  But that's me, right?

I'm okay with 100m water resistance and no bezel. I don't dive and some of my favorite watches don't have bezels (Rolex Date & Explorer, JLC Master Ultra Thin, A Lange Sohne 1815). That being said, I certainly get your point. Field watches can be very simple and borderline boring.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
$3k for a field watch is a bit steep. However, no date, clean dial and in house movement make it a sharp watch. I'd consider one at a discount.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you could say same about Explorer I - but that is part of the point, it’s a low bling, high quality piece.

Great watch with a cool heritage - and 39mm is THE sweet spot IMO. This fills the gap left by the absence of the 214270.

That said, I prefer the BB58.

Damn if I didn’t just buy an Alpinist at 38mm. Still, the Alpinist is 1/5 the price.

In sum, worth considering over the Explorer but BB58 is in my collection forever. I do think it will be a smash hit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course it is, it has always been the Tudor peer to the Explorer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw the photo as "leak" on another site. I thought it was a joke because the 9 and 6 look so wonky, like the image file was squished horizontally. Otherwise, I like the theme & aesthetic especially without the snowflake hands.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw the photo as "leak" on another site. I thought it was a joke because the 9 and 6 look so wonky, like the image file was squished horizontally. Otherwise, I like the theme & aesthetic especially without the snowflake hands.
View Quote

I believe the older Rangers had a wonkey 6 and 9 also. It pays homage to the older Rangers for sure.

I'm sympathetic to your dislike of the snowflake hands... Because I hate this arrow hand with a passion. I know people feel the same about the snowflakes (that I really like) and Tudor has been milking everything they got out of the snowflake hands. Thank goodness we all have different taste!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The dial and hands are definitely an homage to the Rangers from the 60s; but, I don't care for the hands or the completely brushed finish at all. Applied hour markers would also be nice at that price. Maybe it will look better in person.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty cool but I still prefer my BB Pro.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe the older Rangers had a wonkey 6 and 9 also. It pays homage to the older Rangers for sure.

I'm sympathetic to your dislike of the snowflake hands... Because I hate this arrow hand with a passion. I know people feel the same about the snowflakes (that I really like) and Tudor has been milking everything they got out of the snowflake hands. Thank goodness we all have different taste!
View Quote

Yep, here they are side by side. I wish they would have used the exact font instead of the extra hook shape on the tail of the 9.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, here they are side by side. I wish they would have used the exact font instead of the extra hook shape on the tail of the 9.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450356/Tudor-Heritage-Ranger-79910-vs-Tudor-Oys-2445677.jpg
View Quote

Good photo! Looks significantly different side by side.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good photo! Looks significantly different side by side.
View Quote

I think my photo shows the older-new-Ranger instead of the new-new Ranger. The second hand isn't all red in the new one, so the comparison isn't right for the OP model. My opinion of the font stands, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think my photo shows the older-new-Ranger instead of the new-new Ranger. The second hand isn't all red in the new one, so the comparison isn't right for the OP model. My opinion of the font stands, though.
View Quote

That is the last generation of the re-issue and is 41 over 39. The new one should have been 36, but God forbid Tudor encroaches on the motherships's territory with the Explorer's recent (and appropriate) downsizing. I also still do not understand why they will not return to the rose logo, especially for the homage pieces. The Ranger isn't up my alley, but, in my mind, this was another swing and miss by Tudor. Which I fully expected...
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost bought the previous one after I sold my tudor sub. I was waiting for the new one and personally I like the old one better. Looks like I'll just get a used one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the minority. At least compared to all the negative posts I've seen all day.

I've been waiting for the re-release for a while now. It's everything I wanted it to be. Just wish it still came with a bund strap. I'm stoked it's 39mm.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
That dial and handset in a sub case with bezel is my dream Tudor.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m just not a fan of flat matte painted (printed) dials.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've always liked the Ranger, but if I were to get a Tudor it would have to have snowflake hands.  For a field watch, I'd probably get the BB36.

...but, as I am one of the poors, I have had my eye on something like this:

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't like it at all.

I just looked at it again and realized I commented about the wrong watch.  I like the size of the 39mm ranger, but I am not a fan of the hour hand.  I think it would look better without the large arrow and I also would have preferred that Tudor use an in-house movement, but that is just my thought.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That dial and handset in a sub case with bezel is my dream Tudor.
View Quote

x2

@joescuba has something similar
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dull, unoriginal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the above poster.  Rolex has done it forever.. and a hundred other brands have done homages.  Its not a Rolex movement or case, so why would this be worth 5 to 10 times more than any of the other homages.  I know it used to be it's own watch, but again based off of a Rolex design.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I agree with the above poster.  Rolex has done it forever.. and a hundred other brands have done homages.  Its not a Rolex movement or case, so why would this be worth 5 to 10 times more than any of the other homages.  I know it used to be it's own watch, but again based off of a Rolex design.
View Quote

The MT5402 movement is pretty damn exceptional in my personal experience.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks nice. Been looking at Panerai dials so this is familiar.

My coworker has something that looks like that. Hopefully it’s a sign of more watch aficionados at the office.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
As the first poster almost said, it looks like field watch. Nothing special. I agree that sub 40mm size is a good thing
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like it. I like the arrow hands for a field watch and its some variety from the snowflake hands. That movement is a great one and the thin 39mm case is a good pick. The bracelet doesn't have the rivets and includes the T-fit clasp.

Unfortunately I don't really have a spot in my rotation for the watch. In terms of function and looks its too similar to my BB58.

If the Tudor designers are listening, a remake of the GMT in a thinner case should be next.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Tudor = Rolex.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Allways bothered me to hell out of me that Tudor is resisting for 5 years or so to make the Black Bay without Bezel in a nice Size.
Its either the 36mm Variation for Women or the complete out of proportion 41mm Chunker (and that Thing is much bigger than you would think by the dimensions)

Now we get a new Watch with a nice Case, Movement and Bracelet and they put this booring print dial and hands on it as if its some microbrand retro BS

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I like it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Allways bothered me to hell out of me that Tudor is resisting for 5 years or so to make the Black Bay without Bezel in a nice Size.
Its either the 36mm Variation for Women or the complete out of proportion 41mm Chunker (and that Thing is much bigger than you would think by the dimensions)

Now we get a new Watch with a nice Case, Movement and Bracelet and they put this booring print dial and hands on it as if its some microbrand retro BS

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote
I watched a few videos and now like it more. If I didn't have a similar watch, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Ranger dial and hands have been around since the early 60's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol 36mm for women
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#35]
After more thought, this is now on the 2022-23 list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Ranger dial and hands have been around since the early 60's.
View Quote

Yeah, unfortunately watch making has kinda evolved since then. Expecially price wise and it would be nice if the quality would reflect that.
Calling it "heritage" does not cut it for me. But i am kinda over that trend anyway.

it is kinda like the Omega Railmaster that is basically a Aqua Terror with a terrible cheap looking dial for the same price point. Going after Grey Marked prices a lot of people see it like that.

But i might very well be in the minority here and that watch is going to sell like crazy, cudos to tudor then.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, unfortunately watch making has kinda evolved since then. Expecially price wise and it would be nice if the quality would reflect that.
Calling it "heritage" does not cut it for me. But i am kinda over that trend anyway.

it is kinda like the Omega Railmaster that is basically a Aqua Terror with a terrible cheap looking dial for the same price point. Going after Grey Marked prices a lot of people see it like that.

But i might very well be in the minority here and that watch is going to sell like crazy, cudos to tudor then.
View Quote

Watch making has evolved, it's evolved right into quartz watches. Heritage obviously sells watches, look at the Speedmaster, Navitimer, and Submariner.

I will say this, I'm glad to see Tudor continue their roots with this Ranger. We always hear that Tudor isn't Rolex, yet Tudor releases the Black Bay Pro that's almost a perfect copy of the Rolex 1655. Even though I'm not crazy about the Ranger, I like the idea of Tudor being Tudor and not being the poor man's Rolex. I think a reissue of the 1960s Tudor Prince would have been more fitting for their 'Northern Exploring Watch' archetype.

Also, the Railmaster is a Badass watch
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like an Explorer. Not blown away. Seems like it's an entry level watch rather than a step up for any design items.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I like.  Had the old one too.  Nice simple watch for less than 3k
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Bringing this thread back. Looks like I am going to hit a personal career milestone so this is a good time.

Simple it may be but a Tudor is a nice step up from my quartz Tag F1, movement is certified, and can be a bit dressed up with a leather strap.

Now to get an AD to have one in stock.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Well funny looking back on this … at the time I was all in on the Alpinist in this role, and it was great. Did not care for the deployant strap however. Also, I lucked out and got my Sub so I decided to get rid of the BB58. Miss that 58, should have kept it. So I have always wanted a 39mm  Explorer and the more I learned about the Ranger, I realized that it would scratch that itch. For me personally, 39mm is THE ideal size. So I traded the 58 for it. Also kept me in the Tudor club and I just love Tudor. Came on the strap. Here is the thing: get the bracelet if you can. I was not crazy about the hybrid strap at all. Wears great on a leather band though- I picked up one from Bulang and looks like it is ready for an expedition. Highly recommend. Later I got really lucky and found a bracelet on ebay (rare as all the 58 guys want them for the adjustable clasp and no faux rivets). Yes, the bracelet is nice, especially the adjustable clasp. Rolex nice? No, but almost. I would venture to say nicer than vintage Rolex. I wear the Ranger all the time. So in my mind it’s a keeper at this point (learned my lesson on the 58). IF//IF I ever score an Explorer this will get passed down to a son. To be honest this watch is so good, great accuracy, 70hr power reserve, a 39mm case Explorer is actually a downgrade! Pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top