[Last Edit: prebans]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You're a good man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it slow , she'll warm up and maybe never completely get over it, but she'll get better.  Nice work, she'll love you forever.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on OP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By prebans:
1.  Jewel has no idea how to play.  The toy doesn’t matter; she doesn’t understand play.  I had one of those squeaking pigs.  I squeaked it at her a few times, and she was confused.  But when I squeaked it moderately loud, Jewel nearly jumped out of her skin in fear.
View Quote

One of my dogs was previously abused like that, and didn't even know how to play.  The first game he learned was tug-of-war, it's natural for dogs... but you're going to have to wait for the dog to relax around you a bit more.  Be predictable and calm.  Start doing very basic obedience with treats... like even just say the dog's name, the instant it looks at you, say "YES" and give it a treat for responding to its name.  Little things like that can build trust.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
That is awesome, rock on brother.  I don’t know enough specifics about abused dogs to give you any advice, but it sounds like you are building trust and that is a good thing.  Keep that up for sure.

We just took in 10 month old golden female, and we have a 7 year old male intact GSD.  He goes to work with me everyday and is truly a family member.

It was a few weeks of slowly introducing her to the pack, but now they are buds and play and get along great.  It’s been a blessing all around.

You’re a good man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Good on you OP.  Nice looking pup.  

Give them time to adjust.  May take a few weeks.  Just let them know ur there and care about them. Soon they will be your new best friend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#8]
We have two standard poodles.  You're going to love that girl.  I never thought I'd be a poodle kind of guy, but a good friend of mine has the mom to our girls and we ended up with one out of her first litter, then another out of the next.  They are snuggle bugs and love attention. You might think two would be a bit much, but I don't know what's going to happen when one of ours goes. The other is going to be completely lost.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You’re a good man, Charley Brown.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

One of my dogs was previously abused like that, and didn't even know how to play.  The first game he learned was tug-of-war, it's natural for dogs... but you're going to have to wait for the dog to relax around you a bit more.  Be predictable and calm.  Start doing very basic obedience with treats... like even just say the dog's name, the instant it looks at you, say "YES" and give it a treat for responding to its name.  Little things like that can build trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
1.  Jewel has no idea how to play.  The toy doesn’t matter; she doesn’t understand play.  I had one of those squeaking pigs.  I squeaked it at her a few times, and she was confused.  But when I squeaked it moderately loud, Jewel nearly jumped out of her skin in fear.

This, I got a mature mutt from the pound, he was great but very mellow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Time. 3 days isn't long enough for the dog to be in the pack and know it's place.

Take it slow and be the leader without being too aggressive
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#12]
Good on you, OP.  Personally I would consider a professional boarding trainer (with experience in this type of situation) that can help get pup back into a happy human-coexisting world.  I've seen it happen with great results. Good luck!

ETA: especially given the your last sentence. I don't think I'd be up to the task myself with zero experience. Better to let someone help you so things get done the right way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Moe1976:
Take it slow , she'll warm up and maybe never completely get over it, but she'll get better.  Nice work, she'll love you forever.
View Quote

this.  just be patient and loop out for her and she'll do the same for you.  Take it slow, plenty of positive reinforcement,  Stopping and sitting down to get to her level when she was scared was perfect.  

You've never had a dog but sounds like you have a good instinct and demeaner for it.  You can rehab a dog and you should based on those photos.  Unless she's dangerous do you think you could hand her off even after this short time?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: darkpaladin1] [#14]
-She was likely yelled at a lot.

2.  I let Jewel run around my (fully fenced) rear yard.  She chased me for a little.  But when I turned to chase her, she got this look of terror, started yelping, and fled.  I quickly stopped and sat down at her level.  Jewel came back to me and got lots of reassurance, love, and pets.  
-She was likely chased by someone who she was affraid of what they would do when they caught her.

3.  Jewel had an accident in her new house.  No big deal, AND she had it on the boot scraping mat!  But she was cowering and shaking in the corner.  Lots of gentle talk, petting, etc., and she relaxed.
-She likely was abused when she had accidents when she was a puppy.

You are good folk OP.  Just keep in mind that you are dealing with a dog that has some trauma, and unlike a Human she can't tell you about it and you can't just talk her through it.  There may come unpleasant behavioral issues that will need to be worked through with patience and compassion.  Find a good local professional trainer that has experience working with abused dogs; both of you will benefit from it.

EDIT: spelling
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Leerburg.com lots of free articles on training.
Be gentle with her, soft, and timid dogs with previous negative experiences take a lot of love, and training to build some trust and confidence.

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#17]
My theory on a rescue like this becoming territorial is that they leave chaos and an environment with other dogs and find a loving home and see this as appreciation. They want so badly to thank you and guarding you and your family is how they show it. It will mellow with time but you may find that once they are integrated into your family they may not want another dog added. This is how my current dog is. Enjoy the time and teach her how to have fun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you, everybody!  I appreciate your good wishes and advice.

Jewel is sleeping snuggled next to me on my sofa, using my left hand and arm as a pillow.  She’s a real love bug.

https://i.ibb.co/hC0pStV/IMG-7432.jpg

Updates:

1.  I have learned that she has an amazing prey drive (squirrels, rabbits, and a mouse in my parent’s garage).  I haven’t allowed her to catch anything, as I don’t need a dog with worms.  But she’s definitely the mighty huntress!

2.  She is territorial.  When she was in my truck today, I opened the door to introduce her to a client.  LOTS of growling, but no snapping or anything.  She was fine before with just me and was fine after with just me.  Later, I brought her into a store.  She and the ladies in there adored each other.  This evening, she made her presence known (barking) with a food delivery.  But no growling or anything; just a good watch dog bark.

So yes, training is needed.  I probably won’t do boarding training, but I will retain a professional to help.  Jewel is loving with me and friendly to others outside of her space.  Given how two other dogs pushed her around, I get it.

Jewel loves doggy sausage sticks.  I break them into little pieces as rewards.  She just wants to please, so lots of little pieces have been given out.    Right now it’s about calm, love, confidence, and positive reinforcement.

@darkpaladin1 - Thank you.  Sadly, those hypotheses track with what little I know I’d get former owner and her ex.
View Quote

OP, glad to hear.  Give her all the love she deserves.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bssrf4] [#19]
Standard poodle = thumbs up
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome job. You have a good pal there.

We rehomed a GS who was very well behaved and well adjusted but had some signs of at least some mild abuse.
We had her for years and made a lot of progress. She was amazing, playful. Loved all people and dogs. She was a hugger. Loved tight hugs and would try to wrap her body around you to hug back.
Having said all that she always had some hint of trust issues even after many years of love and reassurance. It was just little things and only occasionally but they were there.
You may have some similar issues you just have to be aware of.
Standard Poodles are cool dogs and don't shed. Def on my list of dogs I'd have.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top