BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/31/2019 12:51:54 PM EDT
Pretty much all of our turbo engines have NGK IR's in them

The service interval for these plugs are 45,000 miles for our turbo engines

Customer decided to go about 50,000 miles over that limit.

And one of them went boom, finger broke off, I'm amazed one of these plugs did not die sooner

And while the finger was bouncing around on the inside of the combustion chamber, it damaged the face of the direct injector along with pitting the face of the piston, so I have to replace that injector to, borescopes are handy

Which means I have to replace a whole bunch of one-time-use components.

So for labor

0.5hrs for the spark plugs that are $20 a piece

3hrs and about $200 for a whole bunch of injector seals, a high pressure fuel pipe and new mounting bolts that secure the delivery rail to the cylinder head.

And finally a intake gasket and throttle body gasket because it is buried underneath it

All in all a little over $1,000 customer pay

"doesn't warranty cover that?"

Only if don't neglect your maintenance
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Noted
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
rekt
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
But if they could afford maintenance they wouldn't have bought a kia
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
He's lucky that's all the damage there is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
$20 per plug?  

Youre right, Ill make sure to do it myself on time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Sparkplugs don't have fingers.....I assume you are talking about the ground electrode came off? they don't fall off either, if it came off it is either a defective plug or that cylinder went into detonation....
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sparkplugs don't have fingers.....I assume you are talking about the ground electrode came off? they don't fall off either, if it came off it is either a defective plug or that cylinder went into detonation....
View Quote
You knew what I meant
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
GD:

"wait, you have to change your spark plugs?"
"I've got 275k on my vehicle and I've never changed them!"
"I knew a guy once who changed his plugs at 50k miles and the engine died at 300k, don't change your plugs!"
"I change mine every 10k miles on my daily driver....can never be too careful!"
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$20 per plug?  

View Quote
OEM is gonna OEM
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
What if your turbo doesn’t have spark plugs?

Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Real Engines don’t have spark plugs.  Laughs in diesel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What if your turbo doesn’t have spark plugs?

View Quote
Well ... turbochargers themselves don't have a spark plug

But there is a type of engine that does have a turbo and does not have spark plugs, it's called a turbo diesel engine
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Guy i know bought his son a f150 with a EcoBoost motor.
I asked him have you ever changed the plugs or oil at the recommended time.

His answer was "No why should i."
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
He better be thankful it didnt make it into the turbine housing and destroy the turbo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Enjoy your D E F and particulate filter issues
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s a useful PSA.    Plugs are so reliable, you just don’t think about them anymore.
..you figure you might change them when you get a rough running engine, but don’t consider the fact that they could break off and rattle around your cylinder and valves, causing untold havoc.    Thanks lp!
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
So the NGK IR plugs into my 08 Nissan that went 105k were outliers?  Or maybe it’s because Kia builds shit
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You knew what I meant
View Quote
That's not the problem, the problem is it sounds like you have not properly diagnosed out the failure...electrodes do not just fall off...
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Should've just reused the fuel system components to save the customer a buck...

... so they could experience Korean BBQ later.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the reminder.  I put mine off at 60,000 and need to get off my ass and get it done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He better be thankful it didnt make it into the turbine housing and destroy the turbo.
View Quote
Hopefully it is just stuck in one of the little passages of the catalytic converter and avoided licking one of the blades.

Having the turbine or compressor out of balance is very bad long-term
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So the NGK IR plugs into my 08 Nissan that went 105k were outliers?  Or maybe it’s because Kia builds shit
View Quote
Oh man, you like to live dangerously
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Trump’s fault
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$20 per plug?  

View Quote
I just got done putting in $18 a plug for a Nissan OEM was NGK laser iridium.
That was the price from the part store.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Enjoy your D E F and particulate filter issues
View Quote
RIP pre whistleblower software particulate filter bypass Volkswagen ;(
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Can’t find the spark plugs in my truck for the life of me so screw it
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hopefully it is just stuck in one of the little passages of the catalytic converter and avoided licking one of the blades.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, better check the engine layout, but the catalytic converter is normally after the turbo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's not the problem, the problem is it sounds like you have not properly diagnosed out the failure...electrodes do not just fall off...
View Quote
Correct, there's a bunch of other things I have not explained,  like the fact that they decided to drive about 20 miles with a misfire along with the fact that it has had poor fuel economy for many thousands of miles, also they changed to a new spark plug design because some would have the ceramic shatter around the center electrode, this car was built before that update was put in place on the production line, which is one reason why we went from a 60k interval to a 45k after the issues from 2011 to 2015

I can go on and on about all the little details on this particular RO

But GD does not have the patience for it

Anything over a paragraph for so long and people just go TOO LONG DIDN'T READ LOL!!!1

Coils are fine and so is the engine compression as well
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our naturally aspirated engines go all the way up to 100k, only are turbo engines are different
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I was having some issues with shakes while at idle on my eco boost at around 40k. Properly gapped and changed the plugs and that all went away.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Umm, better check the engine layout, but the catalytic converter is normally after the turbo.
View Quote
Not on this engine, it is what I like to call a turbofold
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Correct, there's a bunch of other things I have not explained,  like the fact that they decided to drive about 20 miles with a misfire along with the fact that it has had poor fuel economy for many thousands of miles, also they changed to a new spark plug design because some would have the ceramic shatter around the center electrode, this car was built before that update was put in place on the production line, which is one reason why we went from a 60k interval to a 45k after the issues from 2011 to 2015

I can go on and on about all the little details on this particular RO

But GD does not have the patience for it

Anything over a paragraph for so long and people just go TOO LONG DIDN'T READ LOL!!!1
View Quote
A misfire did not cause the electrode to fall off....facts are pointing out a problem if you don't ignore them..porcelains don't crack for no reason either....All of those clues and you still don't see the failure....
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A misfire did not cause the electrode to fall off....facts are pointing out a problem if you don't ignore them..porcelains don't crack for no reason either....All of those clues and you still don't see the failure....
View Quote
As to the porcelain cracking issue apparently that was a manufacturing flaw per NGK themselves, new plugs have a raised collar to help protect it

So if the coil is fine, compression is on spec, and what do you think it is? Only having one cylinder having an issue? it's got 93 octane top tier gasoline in it, injector pulse off of the harness from the PCM looks normal

Perhaps the injector died first causing detonation issues and a misfire for a while and then the plug decided to call it quits, there's also no gouges to face of the cylinder head, I really love borescopes
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I was going to say the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A what?

If all of the gas doesn't go through the turbo, you don't build boost. So the cat is before the turbo?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the reminder OP. I need to throw a set at my Tundra this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A what?

If all of the gas doesn't go through the turbo, you don't build boost. So the cat is before the turbo?
View Quote
The catalytic converter is after the turbo on this engine, it's practically bolted to the side of the cylinder head, some designs are more extreme than this one
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#38]
If you call it a finger and not an electrode, I don't really want you working on my anything.

Edit: Unless that's a Kia technical term, which with Kia, it very well could be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As to the porcelain cracking issue apparently that was a manufacturing flaw per NGK themselves, new plugs have a raised collar to help protect it

So if the coil is fine, compression is on spec, and what do you think it is? Only having one cylinder having an issue? it's got 93 octane top tier gasoline in it, injector pulse off of the harness from the PCM looks normal

Perhaps the injector died first causing detonation issues and a misfire for a while and then the plug decided to call it quits, there's also no gouges to face of the cylinder head, I really love borescopes
View Quote
Put up a pic of the spark plug....
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure

Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pretty much all of our turbo engines have NGK IR's in them

The service interval for these plugs are 45,000 miles for our turbo engines

Customer decided to go about 50,000 miles over that limit.

And one of them went boom, finger broke off, I'm amazed one of these plugs did not die sooner

And while the finger was bouncing around on the inside of the combustion chamber, it damaged the face of the direct injector along with pitting the face of the piston, so I have to replace that injector to, borescopes are handy

Which means I have to replace a whole bunch of one-time-use components.

So for labor

0.5hrs for the spark plugs that are $20 a piece

3hrs and about $200 for a whole bunch of injector seals, a high pressure fuel pipe and new mounting bolts that secure the delivery rail to the cylinder head.

And finally a intake gasket and throttle body gasket because it is buried underneath it

All in all a little over $1,000 customer pay

"doesn't warranty cover that?"

Only if don't neglect your maintenance
View Quote
Yup, and metal going out the exhaust is hell on turbo impellers....
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will second this. Kawasaki Ultra 150 personal watercraft had a range of engines that would cause the porcelain to shatter due to a harmonic or some such. Since it was a two-stroke, that porcelain would fall down the transfer ports and wreak havoc on the crank bearings.

The fix was a very special set of spark plugs made just for that motor that were in the neighborhood of $40 each last I checked, which was about 2009.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#43]
A close up of the burned electrode..
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
user name is ironic.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not so sure that it broke more that it melted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not so sure that it broke more that it melted.
View Quote
It went into detonation, absolutely no doubt about it..question is why? Sparkplug was not the cause of failure, it was the final straw that stopped that cylinder from a complete meltdown...
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

user name is ironic.....
View Quote
Everything is a diesel if you are brave enough.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Our naturally aspirated engines go all the way up to 100k, only are turbo engines are different
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the NGK IR plugs into my 08 Nissan that went 105k were outliers?  Or maybe it's because Kia builds shit
NISMO 370s are 60k  - obviously a more aggressive, performance oriented lump creating more energetic combustion leads to more wear - good engineers account for this and make proper interval requirements. It's not building shit - it's appropriate engineering. Which LP was alluding to

This is on the other hand

Attachment Attached File

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/03/25/i-team-nissan-drivers-outraged-about-rust-problems-beneath-their-feet/

Nissan has its own issues
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20191031_100508-1143764.jpg
Looks like some ping ping ping on that cylinder. I've seen that numerous times on turbo engines that were driven hard with the wrong grade fuel or user modded waste gates, but its always been somewhat present on all cylinders.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

user name is ironic.....
Going to need A LOT of glow plugs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top