Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2023 3:28:11 PM EDT
I’ll be in the Netherlands for the next week-ish. Mainly in a conference room outside Barendrecht but with perhaps some time over the weekend.

Any recommendations?

Yes I know about the menu Amsterdam offers you degenerates.  Any other suggestions??
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Anne Frank house.
Van Gogh museum.
Canal tour.

Get some dutch herring in it’s traditional form.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Rent a car and take the N57 between the islands over the draw bridges. After living in the US so long, it is amazing to see what modern infrastructure looks like.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rijksmuseum is fantastic and also has a big war history and firearms section in the bottom level https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Genever Crawl!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
A few train stops outside Amsterdam you can visit some working windmills.

Zannse Schans

You'll need a car, but Kinderdijk is another cool windmill site.

Kinderdijk

If you are hanging around Amsterdam, wander around the Jordaan neighborhood (just outside city center). It is way less touristy and lots of nice restaurants. I recommend Japanese Pancake World. They make a fantastic Okonomiyaki.

https://japanesepancakeworld.com/
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Barendrecht is SE of Rotterdam, so not super close to Amsterdam by European standards. LOL That said, Amsterdam would be super easy to get to via train.

Rotterdam is a great spot for coke, explosions and the occasional gun or knife attack.

The Hague is actually pretty low key but nice. All depends on what you're into.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Scream at farmers for growing food. Yell Free Palestine randomly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the recommendations fellas.

But can we start more fundamental?  I hadn’t planned on renting a car - but I can…  should I?  Is it a PITA?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the recommendations fellas.

But can we start more fundamental?  I hadn't planned on renting a car - but I can   should I?  Is it a PITA?
View Quote
Renting a car is not that bad but the various random road closures in the city won't be easy to navigate. They raise bollards to control vehicle traffic (buses excluded) and you'll have a hell of a time getting around them.

Just use uber instead, and you can walk the last few hundred yards if needed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thermen Barendrecht was a good place to relax for some time. Massages were reasonable for the area.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Driving sucks here in general. Driving in Amsterdam is worse than London. Don't do it.  Winter is dark and rainy, people drive like shit and the bikes are ridiculous.

Public transportation isn't German reliable, but it's decent enough. I'd definitely go that route.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Public transportation is great there.  There are apps that really helps with it, 9292, NS, and GVB ones.

The Hague-Beach town, art and history stuff.
Delft(if you like blue and white pottery stuff, really for the ladies lol)
Camp Vught (only SS Concentration Camp in the NL) if you want some history.
Amsterdam has some stuff too as stated above.  You can also do an architecture tour on a boat, that is neat.
Lots of cheese eating.  Dont forget Kroketten and Bitterballen!

Driving in the big cities sucks, like all big cities, outside, no issues.  They LOVE their photo radar there though, and have a VERY low threshold, so if you do end up driving.. do not speed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Heineken tour. Make sure you are in tour block #1 out of 4. 2 is okay and the block we were in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I always thought that one of the "perks" of being in Amsterdam (or the Netherlands in general), was that you really didn't need to rent a car for anything.
View Quote

As did I. But some of the above seems to imply renting a car so…
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anne Frank house.
Van Gogh museum.
Canal tour.

Get some dutch herring in it’s traditional form.
View Quote

See anal tour?  Now we are talking !
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]
9292 is a great app for navigating public transport

Flitsmeister is pretty much Dutch Waze if you decide to drive

Both should be available on the US App Store or Google Play

Make sure your US bank account has a chip and PIN card with tap to pay.  Apple Pay or the Android equivalent is also super helpful. The Netherlands is quickly becoming cashless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As did I. But some of the above seems to imply renting a car so…
View Quote

I implied renting a car but don’t do it if you intend to stay near Amsterdam. I made the mistake of driving in Amsterdam. I struggled to find parking and when I did, it was expensive. I also had to focus to avoid hitting bicycles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive been to the Netherlands a few times and some of my family even more.  Not a bad thing to say about visiting there.  Heck most of the population speaks better english than folks here in the US lol.  Beer is cheaper than water and dang good to boot.

Oh and one more food thing.  Pannenkoeken(also seen as pannekoeken).. aka Dutch Pancakes.
Sweet or Savory and amazing!  You can see my wife went sweet in the corner of the photo LOL.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Visit Arnhem or Wessel Germany
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chipped cards (and tap to pay, and Apple Pay, and...) are quickly becoming the norm here, but chip and PIN aren't (we're still mostly chip and signature). Honestly, I'm not even sure of my go-to card (Chase Sapphire) even supports setting a PIN (I guess I could call and ask). Google yields contradictory answers.

As near as I can tell, it's really only an issue for most people at unattended kiosks (train stations, for example) and the like. But...yeah.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9292 is a great app for navigating public transport

Flitsmeister is pretty much Dutch Waze if you decide to drive

Both should be available on the US App Store or Google Play

Make sure your US bank account has a chip and PIN card with tap to pay.  Apple Pay or the Android equivalent is also super helpful. The Netherlands is quickly becoming cashless.
Chipped cards (and tap to pay, and Apple Pay, and...) are quickly becoming the norm here, but chip and PIN aren't (we're still mostly chip and signature). Honestly, I'm not even sure of my go-to card (Chase Sapphire) even supports setting a PIN (I guess I could call and ask). Google yields contradictory answers.

As near as I can tell, it's really only an issue for most people at unattended kiosks (train stations, for example) and the like. But...yeah.

Excellent info.  I tend to use Apple Pay almost exclusively anyway so that should work out fine.

Maybe I’ll finally get to use the “express transit” functionality of same.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Flying dildos for sure!!!!

Bert Kreischer - Flying Dildos - This Is Not Happening - Uncensored
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
With a rental car visit Hell's Highway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Bring a good rain jacket  it hasn't stopped raining for at least a month.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn. I almost wore my Stetson. If you’re gonna stick out… stick way out, right??

Planes and cowboy hats don’t go well together though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When somebody asks you where you're from, be sure to say "Texas" instead of "America".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. I almost wore my Stetson. If you're gonna stick out  stick way out, right??

Planes and cowboy hats don't go well together though.
When somebody asks you where you're from, be sure to say "Texas" instead of "America".

Of course!  What kinda Texan you think I am??

If the internet is to be believed, “that’s so Texas” is a colloquialism used in Sweden(?) Finland(?) to mean “that’s so extreme / big / exaggerated / over the top.  Too bad this company doesn’t have a facility in the Nordic countries…

Also for the record, Polaris lounge beats the pleb lounge six ways from Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Plenty of Texans running around this area. Seems like every other American expat works for Shell or some rando petro chemical company.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Plenty of Texans running around this area. Seems like every other American expat works for Shell or some rando petro chemical company.
View Quote

Subnet knows I hate sticking out - he’s giving me a hard time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Rijksmuseum is fantastic and also has a big war history and firearms section in the bottom level https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

View Quote
Dutch citizen here...
The Rijksmuseum is by far the most interesting and biggest museum in the Netherlands.

Skip everything else in Amsterdam and take your time for this museum. It's really worth it.
It has the best paintings the Dutch have to offer.
Just look close at the face of the woman in the following image in this painting from Vermeer.

More paintings form Vermeer:

If you want to visit an authentic Dutch city, go to Delft. Amsterdam is far too crowded and too many tourists.
Need more info? Just let me know...

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Welp - the work companion i’m here with doesn’t appear to want to do much over the weekend, so i’ll be on my own.

If google maps is to be trusted it’s a cab and a couple train switches to get to the museum.  I’ll prob give that a try.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Welp - the work companion i'm here with doesn't appear to want to do much over the weekend, so i'll be on my own.

If google maps is to be trusted it's a cab and a couple train switches to get to the museum.  I'll prob give that a try.
View Quote
Trust me, you will not be sorry.
Your travel plan will indeed include a cab and a couple of train switches and the tram. The rest of Amsterdam is not that interesting to be honest.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Trust me, you will not be sorry.
Your travel plan will indeed include a cab and a couple of train switches and the tram. The rest of Amsterdam is not that interesting to be honest.
View Quote

It was surely interesting to a relatively naive 20-year-old Private SiVisPacem when I visited in September 1991. LOL
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dutch citizen here...
The Rijksmuseum is by far the most interesting and biggest museum in the Netherlands.

https://aws-tiqets-cdn.imgix.net/images/content/a1ad67f5ebf14a83a182395a6448b331.jpg

Skip everything else in Amsterdam and take your time for this museum. It's really worth it.
It has the best paintings the Dutch have to offer.
Just look close at the face of the woman in the following image in this painting from Vermeer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Vermeer%2C_Johannes_-_Woman_reading_a_letter_-_ca._1662-1663.jpg/800px-Vermeer%2C_Johannes_-_Woman_reading_a_letter_-_ca._1662-1663.jpg

More paintings form Vermeer:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Johannes_Vermeer_-_Het_melkmeisje_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/800px-Johannes_Vermeer_-_Het_melkmeisje_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

If you want to visit an authentic Dutch city, go to Delft. Amsterdam is far too crowded and too many tourists.
Need more info? Just let me know...

View Quote

Saw the rijksmuseum when I went.  Yep, well worth the visit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you wear boots of any kind, most euros will assume you're from Texas, anyways.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Dusseldorf Christmas Market, Weinachtsbier & Altbier if you dont mind a short train ride.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Been said. Get a chip card at nearest train station.  Use on trains and busses.  I just use Google maps to find the right route.

In AMS though Rijks is good, try the Maritime museum downtown.

Delft also good. Went to a great steak place in an old arms warehouse (Lotje Delft).

Den Haag has lots of history.  Beach as also said by someone but weather sucks now.

I've also gone to Arnhem to see the bridge too far. War museum there is good.

Be there next week.  Have a good trip
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Been said. Get a chip card at nearest train station.  Use on trains and busses.  I just use Google maps to find the right route.

Delft also good. Went to a great steak place in an old arms warehouse (Lotje Delft).

Den Haag has lots of history.  Beach as also said by someone but weather sucks now.

View Quote

Some of those smaller museums are probably closed for the season.  Check first.   Arnhem was one I wanted to do my first europe trip and the war museum was closed about this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I always thought that one of the "perks" of being in Amsterdam (or the Netherlands in general), was that you really didn't need to rent a car for anything.
View Quote

I never did and I lived there for months at a time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some of those smaller museums are probably closed for the season.  Check first.   Arnhem was one I wanted to do my first europe trip and the war museum was closed about this time of year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think of that. I just go to bars and restaurants when the weather sucks. Went to those places last few years during summer.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm back.  It was interesting and I enjoyed it.  But next time I will rent a car so i can really go exploring across the map.

Traveling back and forth to Amsterdam wasn't in the cards.  So we spent Saturday walking around Dordrecht.  Seeing some of the old(er) buildings was cool.  A couple smaller museums and such.

One thing i didn't do which i should have - is carry at least a little cash euros around.  Some small shops only took one specific type of debit card which of course I didn't have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top