Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2023 11:11:54 AM EDT
I have not gone to the movies in many years and I do not like to focus too much on demons, but I am considering watching this one.  A friend told me about this film.  A priest friend of his recommended it to him, stating that it is the most theologically correct film he has seen on this topic.

Has anyone seen it yet?

https://www.ncregister.com/interview/nefarious-filmmakers-take-the-mask-off-evil-in-new-exorcism-film

This movie is saying, “Don’t play with the devil. If you dance with the devil, you’re going to lose.” We point that out, but we do it in a very smart, cinematic way — we tell a story. Jesus told parables for a reason because stories are the most powerful way to convey information to people.

Have you experienced unusual problems making the movie?

Solomon: Literally, it has been a fight for us. The whole crew caught COVID. We had to start the movie all over. We had eight car accidents in a matter of 11 or 12 days. No one was hurt, but all the cars were totaled. So you see the devil tries to kill people and the Lord protects them. At our office building in Burbank, California, the whole roof was ripped off during a rainstorm. That doesn’t happen in rainstorms.

Konzelman: Our on-set priest, who was trained in exorcisms, during shooting had an emergency appendectomy. The surgeon told him how the appendix actually burst during removal and told him if he showed up an hour later, “You probably wouldn’t be here.”
View Quote

https://www.pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/nefarious-2023/

The vast majority of the film’s hour-and-a-half runtime revolves around two men sitting across a table from each other, talking.
And there’s a lot of it as the two of them discuss the reality of God, demons, the devil, heaven, hell, judgment, damnation, free will and the ways that demons manipulate humanity to accomplish their primary purpose: smearing and marring, mutilating and destroying those created in God’s image.
View Quote

Diabolical interference against the movie "Nefarious." When the Devil hates you, you’re doing good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not seen it. I did not know it was out. I am planning on seeing “The Pope’s Exorcist” at some point.

These movies will have to go a long way to top the beginning of “Windswept House”
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, may give it a look.

I have heard from numerous priests, including my current pastor, that to "converse" with the Devil is to tempt coming under his control. Each of them separately has said that when you hear the Devil speaking to you, the best course of action is to ask God for strength and protection.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not seen it. I did not know it was out. I am planning on seeing “The Pope’s Exorcist” at some point.

These movies will have to go a long way to top the beginning of “Windswept House”
View Quote

Is The Pope's Exorcist about Fr. Amorth?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but with some artist license thrown in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will look it up.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Grace Force did a podcast on it recently. Interested
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have heard from numerous priests, including my current pastor, that to "converse" with the Devil is to tempt coming under his control. Each of them separately has said that when you hear the Devil speaking to you, the best course of action is to ask God for strength and protection.
View Quote

I think you'll find that Nefarious will reinforce that point. A lot.

I saw it with my wife last weekend. Going with our men's group to see it again this week. I liked it, and the longer I think about it the more I want to see it again.

I don't think I would consider it to be "great" like we usually think of the term, but I do think it is very, very good. I'm more than willing to see it again, and I hope they make more movies like it. I feel it's well worth the cost of seeing it in the theater.

It manages to be pretty intense, although in a different way than just about any other movie I've ever seen.

I was most disappointed with the previews before it, actually. About 25 minutes of R-rated demonic gore-fest trash that I have ZERO interest in seeing.

The negative reviews are sad. People are angry about it being a "Christian propaganda film" but they say it in a way that makes it very clear that they don't think the rest of the trash they watch isn't ALSO propaganda. When yous see lots of flak, you know you're over the target.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heard several exorcists say the same. They caution to not do so and these exorcists only "converse" in the context of what is necessary to execute the rituals of exorcism. They do not get curious and probe the demons outside of sacramental necessities.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I saw it with my wife last weekend. Going with our men's group to see it again this week. I liked it, and the longer I think about it the more I want to see it again.

I don't think I would consider it to be "great" like we usually think of the term, but I do think it is very, very good. I'm more than willing to see it again, and I hope they make more movies like it. I feel it's well worth the cost of seeing it in the theater.

It manages to be pretty intense, although in a different way than just about any other movie I've ever seen.

I was most disappointed with the previews before it, actually. About 25 minutes of R-rated demonic gore-fest trash that I have ZERO interest in seeing.

The negative reviews are sad. People are angry about it being a "Christian propaganda film" but they say it in a way that makes it very clear that they don't think the rest of the trash they watch isn't ALSO propaganda. When yous see lots of flak, you know you're over the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for this post.  Was wondering what the previews would be like because, like you, I do not want that garbage in my head.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Heard several exorcists say the same. They caution to not do so and these exorcists only "converse" in the context of what is necessary to execute the rituals of exorcism. They do not get curious and probe the demons outside of sacramental necessities.
View Quote

Some do, some don't. Have you ever listened to the recordings of Anneliese Michel? The priests in that case interrogated the demons on subjects such as the modernization of the Church, the rosary, abortion etc.  that went well beyond what was necessary for deliverance.  Not saying I wouldn't also have been tempted if I was in their shoes and had the power of In Persona Christi to force the answers to my personal curiosities out of the father of lies but anything beyond "just the facts" in a case of an exorcism may be considered an abuse of the rite and could very well cause further suffering of the victim.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's based on him.

Pay attention to Fr. Rippenger.  He is a very holy priest and an experienced exorcist.  I would caution going to anything Hollywood puts out. Its best to read the books from direct sources. Rippenger stated that Satan doesn't even bother to hide anymore so many people have given into him.  In fact three of the most well known exorcists, said Satan is in the Vatican and the anti christ is present. PRAY that the Holy Spirit will allow all to see the truth and not be deceived. Pray.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Nefarious is a very good movie that’s well worth seeing in the theatre.

As stated, the previews are more graphic, violent, and disgusting than the movie.

The movie addresses the subtle demonic creep of what society considers acceptable, like the previews. In fact, it’s the movie’s purpose and warning.

The movie is entirely Christian. It does not dabble with the occult. It is not Child’s Play or Poltergeist.

The movie warns against a large portion of your theology that only seems to be addressed at the introduction and rarely ever again:

“Do you reject Satan? And all his works? And all his empty promises?”

“Yes, yes, yes.”

But do you…actually?

Do you know how you’re being used and what the intent of using you is?

See Nefarious!

Let a demon explain his purpose with you, to you, because your church won’t.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's based on him.

Pay attention to Fr. Rippenger.  He is a very holy priest and an experienced exorcist.  I would caution going to anything Hollywood puts out. Its best to read the books from direct sources. Rippenger stated that Satan doesn't even bother to hide anymore so many people have given into him.  In fact three of the most well known exorcists, said Satan is in the Vatican and the anti christ is present. PRAY that the Holy Spirit will allow all to see the truth and not be deceived. Pray.

View Quote

Do you have any links that are credible that you can recommend? I'd like to read them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's based on him.

View Quote

Fr. Rippenger is one of my favorites, very planted.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw it last night and it exceeded my expectations by far.  In brief, if you like movies, I would recommend this one without hesitation.  It is very well made from every aspect.

Artistically:  The cinematography was very well done; at least as good as I'd expect from a high-budget film.  Sean Patrick Flanery is phenomenal in it.  Too bad he won't see any awards for it.

Theologically: As described by priests, I found it very sound.  It actually exceeded my expectations.  I detected St. Thomas Aquinas more than once.  They also zing the modernist current in the Catholic Church subtly, which I did not expect, but it made for an oh-snap moment (you can view the spoiler below if you want, but it may be more fun detecting it on your own before reading the spoiler).  In addition to obvious things like prayer life, I'm sure no small number of people will reconsider things like infant baptism after watching this film.

What I did not care for: Previews, as already mentioned, were terrible.  Perhaps I live in a bubble, but I found the previews shocking.  I'm sure they vary by theater, but you may want to wait outside until the previews end so you don't get that filth in your head.  As for the film, there is a scene with Glenn Beck, which I did not care much for.  Nothing substantively objectionable about it; just seemed like an abrupt change in the overall gravitas and suspense without adding much to the film.

Overall, I would recommend it.  It's almost like an offshoot, but more focused and raw, of The Screwtape Letters.

If you watch(ed) it, I'd love to read your review.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to see the movie Friday evening. Of course no one in the family wants to go see it with me. I checked out the theater and there are NO seats sold for that showing.

I will be interested in seeing this take on spiritual warfare.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fr. Rippenger is one of my favorites, very planted.
View Quote

Apparently, the script writers used a lot of Fr. Ripperger's material during their research.

Quoted:
I am going to see the movie Friday evening. Of course no one in the family wants to go see it with me. I checked out the theater and there are NO seats sold for that showing.

I will be interested in seeing this take on spiritual warfare.
View Quote

Looking forward to reading your AAR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Apparently, the script writers used a lot of Fr. Ripperger's material during their research.

View Quote

Since it looks like I will be the only one in the theater, I'm going to be generous and buy everyone there some popcorn. I am that kind of guy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw it the first Thursday it was out.

Much more than I expected. Only 8 or so folks in theater.

Great movie imo.

Who is Fr Rippergers?  Link to any vids?

Thx
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Since it looks like I will be the only one in the theater, I'm going to be generous and buy everyone there some popcorn. I am that kind of guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I checked availability yesterday two hours before the showing, all seats showed available, but by the time I got there and actually bought the tickets six or seven tickets had sold.  As nice it as it would be to have the whole theater to yourself, I hope they sell more by then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Great movie imo.

Thx
View Quote

Fr. Ripperger is arguably the leading authority on the subject of exorcism in the US.  He was with the FSSP, but left and, eventually, with the approval of Archbishop Aquila of Denver, founded the Society of the Most Sorrowful Mother, more commonly referred to as the Doloran Fathers.

For years, he seemed to evade the online spotlight, short of recordings of his conferences that others posted, but now he has a website and a YT channel.

To whet your appetite:

A series of talks on the similarities of communism and demonic psychology.  We had a thread in GD about this in 2020.

On marriage.  That's the first of three parts.

On raising boys.  This one comes up occasionally in arfcom too, admittedly, mostly by me.

Full list of his old videos here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fr. Ripperger is arguably the leading authority on the subject of exorcism in the US.  He was with the FSSP, but left and, eventually, with the approval of Archbishop Aquila of Denver, founded the Society of the Most Sorrowful Mother, more commonly referred to as the Doloran Fathers.

For years, he seemed to evade the online spotlight, short of recordings of his conferences that others posted, but now he has a website and a YT channel.

To whet your appetite:

A series of talks on the similarities of communism and demonic psychology.  We had a thread in GD about this in 2020.

On raising boys.  This one comes up occasionally in arfcom too, admittedly, mostly by me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great movie imo.

Thx

To whet your appetite:

I send many of his videos to people. I really like his ones on marriage & the Guardian Angel one. But any of his talks are very good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have not gone to the movies in many years and I do not like to focus too much on demons, but I am considering watching this one.  A friend told me about this film.  A priest friend of his recommended it to him, stating that it is the most theologically correct film he has seen on this topic.

Has anyone seen it yet?

https://www.ncregister.com/interview/nefarious-filmmakers-take-the-mask-off-evil-in-new-exorcism-film

This movie is saying, “Don’t play with the devil. If you dance with the devil, you’re going to lose.” We point that out, but we do it in a very smart, cinematic way — we tell a story. Jesus told parables for a reason because stories are the most powerful way to convey information to people.

Have you experienced unusual problems making the movie?

Solomon: Literally, it has been a fight for us. The whole crew caught COVID. We had to start the movie all over. We had eight car accidents in a matter of 11 or 12 days. No one was hurt, but all the cars were totaled. So you see the devil tries to kill people and the Lord protects them. At our office building in Burbank, California, the whole roof was ripped off during a rainstorm. That doesn’t happen in rainstorms.

Konzelman: Our on-set priest, who was trained in exorcisms, during shooting had an emergency appendectomy. The surgeon told him how the appendix actually burst during removal and told him if he showed up an hour later, “You probably wouldn’t be here.”
View Quote

https://www.pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/nefarious-2023/

The vast majority of the film’s hour-and-a-half runtime revolves around two men sitting across a table from each other, talking.
And there’s a lot of it as the two of them discuss the reality of God, demons, the devil, heaven, hell, judgment, damnation, free will and the ways that demons manipulate humanity to accomplish their primary purpose: smearing and marring, mutilating and destroying those created in God’s image.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDNf-ORlrUc
View Quote

I saw it today and found it to be salutary. Pretty well done, I enjoyed the psychological horror of its production.

I started the undergraduate program of my seminary not long after the release of The Exorcist movie. And on my first full day there I stopped in at the library and on the periodicals rack was the latest issue of Time Magazine, with its account of the Anneliese Michel possession/exorcism case. I recall our dean (Fr Alexander Schmemann, d.1983) making a few comments to the affect that people can get so concerned with chasing the demonic that they cave to the devil and allow other forms of sin into their lives. I greatly miss his (and other priests, professors there) wise spiritual counsel.

I hope a lot of people see the movie.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I rarely watch movies anymore, especially "theological" ones.  Case in point the gnostic "noah" movie.  The scriptures have theology enough I find.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I checked it out last weekend.
Step in the right direction but still not quite worth the $13.
I think Glen's placement was distracting.
Also some other rolls would have added to the story.
Maybe randomly following the girlfriend to the medical center... but not understanding why she was there.
The single room could have used some breaks ...maybe some transition to the old barber?

Over all its worth watch just not quite prime time .
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
So I went to see it tonight, and the theater was full. This is my take on it.

I did not go to see this movie for entertainment as I would have gone to see John Wick 4. Twice. I went to see this for what it had been portrayed to be - a movie about demon possession and spiritual warfare. It exceeded expectations.

The setting was minimal and appropriately stark to support the plot. The two main actors, especially Sean Patrick Flanery, were perfect. The portrayal of the demon(s?) Nefarious was incredibly good. The theological knowledge the demon had at his command was very convincing. The other actor, Jordan Belfi, played the role of the arrogant atheist to the T. The malevolence was almost visible.

If you can come out of the movie with no understanding that we are at war, then you do not understand what you just saw.

I can't imagine "The Pope's Exorcist" could be any better and more accurate than this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So I went to see it tonight, and the theater was full. This is my take on it.

I did not go to see this movie for entertainment as I would have gone to see John Wick 4. Twice. I went to see this for what it had been portrayed to be - a movie about demon possession and spiritual warfare. It exceeded expectations.

The setting was minimal and appropriately stark to support the plot. The two main actors, especially Sean Patrick Flanery, were perfect. The portrayal of the demon(s?) Nefarious was incredibly good. The theological knowledge the demon had at his command was very convincing. The other actor, Jordan Belfi, played the role of the arrogant atheist to the T. The malevolence was almost visible.

If you can come out of the movie with no understanding that we are at war, then you do not understand what you just saw.

I can't imagine "The Pope's Exorcist" could be any better and more accurate than this.
View Quote

I agree with your observations, Monadh. I also went to see the movie for the same reason that you did - not so much for entertainment but rather for its portrayal of demonic possession and spiritual warfare.

My greatest hope for the movie is that some will have their eyes opened to the evil in our culture that is posing for good (per Isaiah 5:20).
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all these great posts, good Brothers and Sisters.

It keeps one's mind concentrated on what really counts.

I'll think about seeing it.

Haven't been to the movies for like 45 years...tossed out all the tee vees in the home about 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for all these great posts, good Brothers and Sisters.

It keeps one's mind concentrated on what really counts.

I'll think about seeing it.

Haven't been to the movies for like 45 years...tossed out all the tee vees in the home about 20 years ago.
View Quote

That's awesome, brother!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Been thinking more about the movie. I will make some statements here that might be spoilers for those who have not seen the movie but want to, so just ignore the following.

The initial reaction of Nefarious when he is told a priest is coming in may have missed a point. If Nefarious knew Dr. Martin from distance, I would have expected him to know that the priest who was walking into the door was not a firm believer and therefore no real threat. In the movie Nefarious became relaxed and almost welcoming when he realized what the priest was about, but I would have expected him to have greeted the priest with a "It took you long enough to visit".

The description of how Satan claims souls, bit by bit, one small compromise after another until the conscience is seared and the compromises have become enthusiastic pursuits, is an accurate description. CS Lewis described the same process in "The Screwtape Letters" and "The Great Divorce". What makes "Nefarious" stand out is that the demon has decided to control the actions of his host and torture him for his own pleasure.

The reaction of Nefarious when the baby is aborted is "joy". The evil portrayed by Sean Patrick Flanery when Nefarious rejoices at the memories of the sacrifices before Moloch is incredibly powerful.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Not movie related, but interesting clip that hit my feed last week

The Exorcist asked: Is your name Lucifer? Shocking answer from the Demon - Fr. Vincent Lampert

https://youtu.be/_eQY7XrIQDc

A possessing demon tells exorcist he can no longer use his given name, Lucifer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Am I the only one who has reservations about seeing this movie out of caution as to whether it's a good idea to have the words and ideas of demons in my head from watching this?  I already know that demons are evil, so how does watching this movie balance out in the risk/reward or cost/benefit analysis?

And not to come across as any kind of goodie goodie, but I do sort of think about Paul's council of focusing on things that are good, lovely, etc.

All that said, I did find screwtape letters to be very good and worthwhile.  But something about the visual format of a movie and the overall dark tone of this movie gives me pause.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Most movies tend to be misleading at best in terms of theology.  If you watch the movie, remember it is a human crafted play, and challenge anything in it by scripture.  If you are not mature in your understanding if scripture, you might do well to devote your time there first
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who has reservations about seeing this movie out of caution as to whether it's a good idea to have the words and ideas of demons in my head from watching this?  I already know that demons are evil, so how does watching this movie balance out in the risk/reward or cost/benefit analysis?

And not to come across as any kind of goodie goodie, but I do sort of think about Paul's council of focusing on things that are good, lovely, etc.

All that said, I did find screwtape letters to be very good and worthwhile.  But something about the visual format of a movie and the overall dark tone of this movie gives me pause.

View Quote

Would you read CS Lewis's Screwtape Letters?

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are not the only one.  That exact reason is why I did not want to watch it initially.  To someone like you--meaning, someone devout and well catechized--I don't think there would be any significant, immediate, personal benefit.  However, to someone who is lukewarm, poorly catechized, or just ignorant, this would be an eye opener.  That's why I think society would benefit from movies like this being made.  The higher the number of views, the more likely it is that these people will make more movies to awaken or nurture healthy morals in our society.

I wonder what percentage of viewers walked in to this film thinking it was just another regular horror production.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You are not the only one.  That exact reason is why I did not want to watch it initially.  To someone like you--meaning, someone devout and well catechized--I don't think there would be any significant, immediate, personal benefit.  However, to someone who is lukewarm, poorly catechized, or just ignorant, this would be an eye opener.  That's why I think society would benefit from movies like this being made.  The higher the number of views, the more likely it is that these people will make more movies to awaken or nurture healthy morals in our society.

I wonder what percentage of viewers walked in to this film thinking it was just another regular horror production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not know the spiritual standing of anyone who was in the theater when I saw it, but I noted that there was very little conversation as people walked out.

How much teaching did you who were raised Catholic receive regarding spiritual warfare? The movie was a stark in-your-face presentation of spiritual warfare, and I would have to think that even people who were well catechized may be caught off guard at what they saw. My wife was raised Catholic and her family was part of a charismatic ministry, but she has no interest in understanding spiritual warfare any more than saying "Satan I bind you in the Name of Jesus". I told her the movie was not a horror movie but it was disturbing. I advised her not to see it, but that was unnecessary. She had already made that decision.

If you had asked me 30 years ago, which group had a better handle on spiritual warfare, faithful charismatics or faithful Catholics, I would have said charismatics. Now it seems that most charismatics have gone off into watered down pablum theologies, but there are some sectors within the Catholic Church awakening to the fact the Church and society is under attack, and our greatest weapon is prayer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks man.  I think I'm gonna pass on this one.  I think my problems are not a lack of awareness of the nature of the conflict we're in.  I think what I need more of are those reminders that this world, despite all the problems, is still God's creation.  There's still a ton of beauty, still a lot of love to give and receive.  And if there's that much beauty to be experienced here, then just think of the world that awaits us after we're done passing through this one.

I watched a movie the other day on a flight.  So, so uplifting.  Biggest Little Farm.  I just watched that movie and couldn't help but to see so much of God's wonder in it.  I think that's the type of thing I need more of in my life.  I don't think I'm lacking for not seeing demons celebrating the death of a baby.  It almost strikes me as a glamorization of evil.  (yes, I know.  I haven't seen it.  But, that's what my sniffer is picking up.)

And yes, I have been through Screwtape Letters.  Quite a few times.  Very good.  Very worthwhile.  This movie strikes me a viscerally different somehow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#38]
The thing about the movie is, evil is not glamorized, it is revealed for what it is. The demon rejoicing over the death of the baby was the hardest part for me. I have looked at the pictures of Molich and his welcoming hands for years, and those pictures are in my mind every time I hear someone talk about women’s rights.

I think CS Lewis made the devils very British to make them relatable for his original audience.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The thing about the movie is, evil is not glamorized, it is revealed for what it is. The demon rejoicing over the death of the baby was the hardest part for me. I have looked at the pictures of Molich and his welcoming hands for years, and those pictures are in my mind every time I hear someone talk about women’s rights.

I think CS Lewis made the devils very British to make them relatable for his original audience.
View Quote

Concur.  Evil is not glamorized.  Quite the opposite, it is exposed for what it really is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Concur.  Evil is not glamorized.  Quite the opposite, it is exposed for what it really is.
View Quote

Saw it this afternoon

Nefarious is excellent. A modernized Screwtape Letters, but more stark and sinister for a world that no longer believes in evil
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Saw it this afternoon

Nefarious is excellent. A modernized Screwtape Letters, but more stark and sinister for a world that no longer believes in evil
View Quote

You said more in one sentence than I said in many posts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You said more in one sentence than I said in many posts.
View Quote

Basically, my job is grading the work of people smarter than I and figuring out how to say it more concisely. Looks like that may carry over to my hobbies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top