Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2020 12:35:50 PM EDT
I've always been a beer drinker while I tinker in the shed or at gatherings. I had hiatal hernia surgery back in August and get terrible gas from anything carbonated. I'd like to have something else to sip on but don't know much about the spirits world. I've always seen people mix whiskeys with soda, but I sore soda away several years ago. I've never really drank hard liquor other than trying some or a shot here and there. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Jim Beam Black.  Add some ice if you want to cut it down a little.  That's a good place to start in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Buffalo Trace on the rocks or neat
Good bourbon at a good price.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffalo Trace on the rocks or neat
Good bourbon at a good price.
View Quote

Agree. Try Buffalo Trace, Glenfiddich, Old Forester 86, Redemption Rye, and slane. Try to get the small bottles in case you dislike one. If you like one tell us which one and why.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
How about you sip on ice water.  Zero calories and you won't wake up with a hangover.

I have an occasional beer, but mostly drink water
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This thread might not be for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about you sip on ice water.  Zero calories and you won't wake up with a hangover.

This thread might not be for you.

yeah, I didn't see the sub-forum.  I need to start looking before I post.

You may want to try sipping some dark rum.  It goes down pretty smooth if you stay away from the really cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jim Beam Black.  Add some ice if you want to cut it down a little.  That's a good place to start in my opinion.
View Quote

That will really smooth it out.

Buy a bunch of airline bottles of different types of whiskey/bourbon and fine tune your taste without breaking the bank.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
As folks have mentioned, find a bourbon *you* like and that agrees with you.

Everyone has their own favorites (and ice/water preferences), but tastes vary wildly.

Buy a bunch of small bottles to sample over time and see what suites you.

I've been on a Bulleit kick for a few years - mellow, reasonably priced and doesn't give me a head ache.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You might as well make the progression most young do and start at the bottom with Jim Beam or Jack Daniels and work your way up from there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest my favorite: Four Roses Small Batch. You can always take your bourbon on the rocks with club soda as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Woodford Reserve is a great bourbon that’s about $35 for a 750mL bottle, you can get smaller bottles if you want to try.

Many people like Maker’s Mark, which is a Wheated bourbon.

Jim Beam Black is very even for a bourbon, pretty good representative in terms of flavor.

Four Roses Small Batch has a little more spice to me than Woodford if you like a little spice.

Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean , this *is* the wine cellar
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
What kind of beer do you like?

That might help because you're just basically asking for everyone's personal favorite.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Buffalo trace, eagle rare, Evan Williams bottled in bond, four roses small batch select, id stay in the 80-90 proof range to start and work your way up to bottle proofs. Ice and water really change the flavor a lot. Get a good crystal glass and start with one cube and add until your preference from there. Once you get into higher proof stuff Old Forester 1920 and Rare Breed are good starting points
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Wild Turkey 101. The best of the inexpensive bourbons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top