Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2022 6:23:30 AM EDT
Decided to make a project of my $50 Peavey. Its getting a new candy metalflake paint job amd pickguard.  The body is smaller than a normal strat, so I'll have to cut the pickguard down to fit it.  If anyone has any tips or pitfalls to avoid, lets hear 'em

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a scroll saw?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes sir. I figured that would the easiest way to make the big cuts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The other thing you'll need is a router with a bevel bit with a bearing in it. Honestly, a pattern bit is the easiest way to do this job. Or, you COULD do the tracing thing and have a pickguard made. Last time I checked, it was $90 for WD Music to make one. There's a place out of Canada that will do it for $40 or so. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: It's called Greasy Groove. Their website is having issues last I checked but I emailed them and they can do stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ideally, start by making a template out of MDF. Bandsaw (or scroll saw, I guess) to rough shape, then belt and oscillating sanders to final shape. For the pickguard, bandsaw again for the major material removal. Then attach it to the template and use a pair of bearing bits - first a straight template bit, followed by a bevel bit.

It does make a mess - routers already make a big mess, and it's even worse with plastic pickguard material, which tends to static-cling to everything after it's blown everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. The template/router makes sense.  I've got the router, just need the bevel bit. I'll post up pics once I get started on the project
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Made the template and modified the pickguard today.  I think it came out pretty well.  Not perfect, but you'd have to look pretty close to notice.

Before pics:

Template:

Finished:

ETA - I need to clean up the edge near the cutaway a little more after looking at the pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top