Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 12:19:48 PM EDT
I purchased a new side by side for my farm yesterday.  Paid cash for it.  I added it to my Progressive motorcycle/ATV policy and put essentially full coverage on it even though I don't really need to since it's not financed.  The only thing I'm really concerned about is theft, which my understanding is covered under comprehensive, which I have Total Loss coverage on, and I have a zero dollar deductible for.  

Here's my question.  My agent, when discussing the theft aspect informed me that I really needed uninsured motorist coverage on my policy as well because if the vehicle was stolen and found abandoned, then uninsured motorist coverage would come into play.  That makes no sense to me.  I went round and round with him, and finally just added it because it's only like another 20 bucks/year, but I still for the life of me cannot figure out how uninsured motorist would come into play on a stolen vehicle.  

Can someone in the biz set me straight?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You either misunderstood your agent or he's a retard. There are two types of uninsured/underinsured type coverage.

UMPD = acts like Collision coverage, but usually with a lower deductible. Works when someone hits your vehicle and doesn't have insurance. Not available in all states. Has nothing to do with Comprehensive coverage or theft.

UM/UIM = stands for uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage. It pays for your and your passenger's injuries when hit by someone with no insurance or not enough insurance to pay for all of the injuries. It has nothing to do with Comprehensive or theft.

Comprehensive coverage covers sudden, direct, and accidental damages that are not Collision related. Examples: theft, vandalism, impacts with animals, falling objects or missiles, riots and civil commotion, sudden weather events like hail or lightning strikes. If your side-by-side is stolen your Comprehensive coverage will handle the damage to the vehicle less your deductible.

If you carry Total Loss Coverage Comprehensive/Collision on the side-by-side that's all you need. Make sure your custom part and accessory coverage is set high enough for what parts are on the vehicle. $3,000 is the default amount but you can increase it up to $30,000.00.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EvilRhysafi:
You either misunderstood your agent or he's a retard. There are two types of uninsured/underinsured type coverage.

UMPD = acts like Collision coverage, but usually with a lower deductible. Works when someone hits your vehicle and doesn't have insurance. Not available in all states. Has nothing to do with Comprehensive coverage or theft.

UM/UIM = stands for uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage. It pays for your and your passenger's injuries when hit by someone with no insurance or not enough insurance to pay for all of the injuries. It has nothing to do with Comprehensive or theft.

Comprehensive coverage covers sudden, direct, and accidental damages that are not Collision related. Examples: theft, vandalism, impacts with animals, falling objects or missiles, riots and civil commotion, sudden weather events like hail or lightning strikes. If your side-by-side is stolen your Comprehensive coverage will handle the damage to the vehicle less your deductible.

If you carry Total Loss Coverage Comprehensive/Collision on the side-by-side that's all you need. Make sure your custom part and accessory coverage is set high enough for what parts are on the vehicle. $3,000 is the default amount but you can increase it up to $30,000.00.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I'm 100% confident I didn't misunderstand him, so I'll chalk it up as him being the retard in this instance.  Thanks for giving me the sanity check!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top