Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2020 9:21:00 PM EDT
Looking for a new everyday watch. Currently wearing a gshock I bought in 2006.

Needs:
-durable/shock resistant (aside from personal shooting, part of my job is weapons testing so this is a big one)
-multiple time zone tracking. I travel internationally for work and don’t have access to my phone for security sometimes depending on where I am.
-compass
-thermometer

I don’t need to have phone connectivity, GPS maps, fitness tracking, etc. I know some on the list below have GPS, I could use that feature for hunting/fishing but it’s not a defining characteristic I need.

Models I have identified as being contenders:
-G-Shock Rangeman 9400
-Suunto Core
-Garmin Tactix Charlie
-Suunto Traverse Alpha

Looking for thoughts on these as well as any models I seem to have missed.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nixon regulas

Simple almost no frills and durable. Like g shock durable but bpetter looking

Well nix that idea you said you needed a compass and thermometer and those aren't options
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the market as well.  Also using a G-shock that still works.

I used to have a Suunto Core and multiple other Suunto.  Garbage in my opinion.  All had problems.

I’m looking at a Victorinox and possibly a Citizen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Garmin Instinct military:

Garmin Instinct Military

Had mine for a couple of months and like the features that it has.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Casio prw-50 or 60.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat as you right now.

So far I've narrowed my search down to either the Garmin Instinct Tactical or the Casio PRW-3500.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
GW9400
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The G Shock Rangeman models.  I have the GPRB-1000, which has the GPS and is slightly larger of the two. I love it though.

G-SHOCK | RANGEMAN GPR-B1000 - Solar GPS Navigation
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The G Shock Rangeman models.  I have the GPRB-1000, which has the GPS and is slightly larger of the two. I love it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXfSRY5vcoY
View Quote

I was looking at that watch on IG last night.  How rugged is that watch?  Is it worth the 500 price tag?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was looking at that watch on IG last night.  How rugged is that watch?  Is it worth the 500 price tag?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXfSRY5vcoY

I paid $600 for mine, normal price is $800.
I would buy again. I haven't had it long and only used the GPS function a few times. The GPS was the selling point on it for me.

I know they just came out with one geared towards working out with a heart monitor. I think that one is hoing to be real popular.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I paid $600 for mine, normal price is $800.
I would buy again. I haven't had it long and only used the GPS function a few times. The GPS was the selling point on it for me.

I know they just came out with one geared towards working out with a heart monitor. I think that one is hoing to be real popular.
View Quote

I did see the heart monitor one last night too. That’s the one I think I saw for 500.

I’ve been looking for a new edc watch.  Been looking at the Protrek 3500.  Is there a big difference in the Rangeman to the Protrek?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Protrek 3500 won't have the GPS, World Time, Tidal Times, Sun Rise / Sun Set, & Phone Finder, or the Recharger like the Rangeman GPRB-1000.

They are both rugged watches and built to be abused.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Protrek 3500 won't have the GPS, World Time, Tidal Times, Sun Rise / Sun Set, & Phone Finder, or the Recharger like the Rangeman GPRB-1000.

They are both rugged watches and built to be abused.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I haven't had a chance between honey dos to compare them.  I wish Casio would make the Protreks in the G-Shock section.  I have the PAW-1500 and love it but its been abused over the years and its showing.  Some of the screen pixels are out and the bezel doesn't want to rotate anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top