Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 4:16:14 PM EDT

The last time I tried to hire a body shop, no good. What’s the best method of removing the residue?  Poor Crown Victoria has 51000 miles, from Oregon, needs a new life.

Thanks....
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how well it will work but Rapid Remover did a great job when was trying to get the badging residue off my truck.  I was debadging my truck and the adhesive tape leaves a sticky residue, this stuff pulled it right off.  It was recommended to me by an automotive paint company. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried Goo Gone?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to a shop that does car wraps, they can do this.   Likely if the stickers are on more than 5-6 years its into the paint and you won't be able to buff that out......
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
google/amazon search for a decal removal wheel.  Basically a rubber eraser on a 4" grinder.  Be mindful of how much heat gets transferred into the metal
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just get another sticker that says "Not a" and roll with it.

Try WD-40 or rubbing alcohol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had amazing luck with Simple Green which you may have around the house.

But there are some good ideas above as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Vinyl Shops use GOOF OFF or GOO GONE. Don't do it while the car is hot or in the sun. Don't let it linger in the sun after removal. Wipe on and let set for about 10 mins and then use a plastic vinyl applicator to start removing it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The cops IMMEDIATELY regretted selling him one of their cars
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
google/amazon search for a decal removal wheel.  Basically a rubber eraser on a 4" grinder.  Be mindful of how much heat gets transferred into the metal
View Quote

This, run slow speed, don’t get things too hot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I used it to remove bumper stickers and the glue left from when I removed trim panels and badges.

Tried all the liquid chemicals
MEK or gasoline didn't even work.

I found this thing and it was like magic.
Basically just a hard pencil eraser.

It does wear down pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
How did you find one with 51k miles?  And that's an old body style.  1990s.  Good cars.  

You'll probably always see the outline of the stickers since the paint under them is original but the rest of the paint has faded.  Even white although white is the best in regards to fading.  You're always going to see it to some extent.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Eraser wheel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Lacquer thinner and eraser wheel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#15]
WD40 and an eraser wheel
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Brake Fluid?

(PLEASE DON'T)....

Earl Schieb? We paint any car for $299.99?

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I would start with isopropyl alcohol and some cotton rags.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I just debadged a Tacoma. Got all the tape off by hand and was left with a film residue.

I used Goo Gone and that helped. What worked was Mcguires Ultimate Compound followed by wax. Have heard the erasure tool works well also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Good responses above. I’d just expect that you’ll still see some outline. Not immediately noticeable like now, but visible because you know what was there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what you seek a quart will last years
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd try an eraser wheel. I use them to remove 3M tape.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
We use WD40 to remove adhesive then clean up with alcohol.

Vinyl sign converter here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
you can try a heat gun and citrus stripper.

Always try the least invasive methods first, then move up to more invasive, like friction tools and such.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I was surprised at how stubborn the govplant decals were on the trailer I picked up.  Got them all off with a pressure washer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one of these from years ago.

Works great, removes the tacky glue residue from the old decals. Use your cordless drill and as mentioned carecul of heat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Back story on the Crown Victoria....I found it on Govdeals, it’s an Oregon car from a small department, I think it spent years parked as a back up car. No rust, got drunk, and bid $600.00, didn’t think I’d win, but if I did, I’d fly out, change fluids and tires, and drive back after seeing family on the West coast.

I won, COVID hit, and couldn’t fly.  Had to ship the car, which cost double the price.

Found out that the rear seat was missing, and the trunk won’t open. But, it does run perfect, with the expectation of the ABS light that is on.

Played hide the car from the wife for a year, and she found out where I stashed it, we drove it home, she thinks I’m going to sell, not sure yet. Went to the pick and pull, found a back seat and belts, I’ll buff it out, and see what it looks like.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a 9 year old clear bra on my vehicle that was yellow and cracking so wanted to remove and sell car.  Tried Eraser wheel others have mentioned.  It was slow and messy and removed the decal but not the adhesive.  Tried heat gun and plastic razor blade.  Was slow and painful.  Tried Goo Gone and it was almost useless.  Then I read about this stuff, Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover.  Holy shit does this stuff work.  Spray it on and scrape with plastic razor blade and the shit just dissolves and comes right off.  So, if all else fails you and your tired of wasting your afternoon, buy once and cry once because this shit really works.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Back story on the Crown Victoria....I found it on Govdeals, it’s an Oregon car from a small department, I think it spent years parked as a back up car. No rust, got drunk, and bid $600.00, didn’t think I’d win, but if I did, I’d fly out, change fluids and tires, and drive back after seeing family on the West coast.

I won, COVID hit, and couldn’t fly.  Had to ship the car, which cost double the price.

Found out that the rear seat was missing, and the trunk won’t open. But, it does run perfect, with the expectation of the ABS light that is on.

Played hide the car from the wife for a year, and she found out where I stashed it, we drove it home, she thinks I’m going to sell, not sure yet. Went to the pick and pull, found a back seat and belts, I’ll buff it out, and see what it looks like.

View Quote

I've got an old 1952 Bantam trailer at work I have been hiding from the wife for over a year now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Naphtha is my preferred remover of sticky stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Acetone
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have you tried Goo Gone?
View Quote

Every time I have used it has worked if left on long enough. Never harmed paint either. However never used it on car paint.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had a 9 year old clear bra on my vehicle that was yellow and cracking so wanted to remove and sell car.  Tried Eraser wheel others have mentioned.  It was slow and messy and removed the decal but not the adhesive.  Tried heat gun and plastic razor blade.  Was slow and painful.  Tried Goo Gone and it was almost useless.  Then I read about this stuff, Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover.  Holy shit does this stuff work.  Spray it on and scrape with plastic razor blade and the shit just dissolves and comes right off.  So, if all else fails you and your tired of wasting your afternoon, buy once and cry once because this shit really works.
View Quote
I work with various types of solvent. Everyone is posting different ones because they work for different things. The trick is finding the one that works for that particular type of adhesive. At the same time not completely destroy the paint.

I have not seen the eraser wheel. That's interesting. How's it leave the finish?  I'd guess better than sandpaper but can't be great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what the pros use. ^
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Just to wrap up the thread, Rapid Remover and a plastic razor blade took care of the residue, and the rubber wheel removed the police decal from the rear bumper.

There’s paint fade, but maybe a buff might lighten that up....

Found a rear seat at the junkyard for 45.00, with seat belts. Let’s see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Goof off or Goo Gone work well for this

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I used a heat gun on this one:  

I have also been using Goo Gone on adhesive labels every day for the past two weeks.  We have 4 different breeds of adhesive, and it works on all of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, did you get the trunk open?

Might be something cool back there.  Ammo go bag or a ballistic shield, old 870 full of bean bags or maybe a hooker, you never know.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just get another sticker that says "Not a" and roll with it.

Try WD-40 or rubbing alcohol.
View Quote
Winner. WD-40 on a rag.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody else read the thread title as “fecal residue?” Thats also a concern in some old Crown Vic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

It looks like there’s still some of the reflective layer on there. Wet it with the adhesive remover and give it time to do it’s thing. Wet it again and carefully “shave” it off with a plastic razor blade. Repeat as necessary...
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice work, OP!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#42]
That's a score on that car. 51K is nothing. Take care of it, and there's another 200K in it.

I've done the same decal remove too. I used brake cleaner (spray can). The glue came right off with no damage to the paint.
It looks like you did a good job on it. Nice ride.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top