Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 12:38:24 PM EDT
that will work with BMX race bikes and the the rear back up camera to work (wife will have to drive sometimes). It's a 2016 F-150. Bellow are the 3 I am looking at. Any feedback or other recommendations?

Cycle Deals

Yakima

Raceface
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Honest question: why not just stand it up and strap it in the rear?? Then you don’t have to worry about banging up your car

Every time I see this I want to say hey bro you ride bikes?

I get going to the top of a trail or whatever but around town.... idk old man yells at cloud I guess
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest question: why not just stand it up and strap it in the rear?? Then you don't have to worry about banging up your car

I get going to the top of a trail or whatever but around town.... idk old man yells at cloud I guess
View Quote
My truck has the midget bed with a tool box in the back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of us use the Yakama. I think it is the nicest one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I really considered a tailgate pad, the Dakine DLX specifically based on my research. But too many reviews of all of the pads discussed scratching the truck paint under the pad, and the bike downtube. Soft padding, wedges to stabilize the bike, etc. only help so much, and the paint wear is really bad if you leave the pad on constantly.

My Silverado is the short bed as well, the bike would fit laying down diagonally but I was not happy with that approach as it was unsecured. Standing the bike up, rear tire wedged into the cab corner, front tire turned into the tailgate corner, and a tie down holding the bike worked for a while but I still wasn't very happy with it. I finally broke down and ordered a hitch rack.

Last week, the bike shifted somehow, even though I had it tied down the same way as dozens of times before, and fell over the side leaving a few inch scratch down the side of the truck (brake lever)

My hitch rack arrived 4 days after the scratch (first scratch on the new truck, guess it was time).
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Thule Gatemate Pro on my Ranger. It has a cut out for the backup camera. The only thing I don’t like about it are the Velcro straps. They are too long, but they are easily replaced. The rubber channels that keep the bikes in their place is what sold me on it. I only use it when I need to tow and carry bikes at the same time. Any other time I am using a Kuat hitch carrier.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Kuat hitch carrier by far.
I have my Yakama tailgate cover for when I’m in my truck but we use the Kuat on both the Jeep’s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest question: why not just stand it up and strap it in the rear?? Then you don’t have to worry about banging up your car

View Quote

Because it's 99x faster and easier to throw bikes over the tailgate and be done, and you don't look like that dork that thinks he's strapping down a motorbike.

OP, make sure to get one with the cutout for the handle/camera for your truck.  DaKine's fitment guide says that this is the best fit for your truck.  Mine works great, and lets me use the handle and camera just fine (different truck, slightly different model).  FWIW, I had my rear tailgate clearbra'd for about $100 so the rubbing of the pad wouldn't ever harm the paint or clearcoat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top