Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2019 9:03:50 AM EDT
5 cu ft to 7 cu ft

Fridgidair?  GE?  Other?

Will be in my basement, veggies, meat, kitchen freezer overflow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
5 cu ft to 7 cu ft

Fridgidair?  GE?  Other?

View Quote
Whatever is on sale.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Costco has a nice one. I don't remember the brand but I got one a year ago and paid maybe $150
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Try lowes when they have their Labor Day sale coming up....

Red
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know if you shop Walmart, but they normally have a couple models, but don't know the brands off hand. We bought a couple about 15yrs ago, one is larger than the other, and they're still going strong.

We put ours up on cinder blocks to not bend over so far to reach into. You'll understand when you get one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Chest freezers are great for kegerators and hooker storage, but they are too easy to lose and forget shit in. The item you need will always be on the bottom. Get an upright self defrost type if you can.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try lowes when they have their Labor Day sale coming up....

Red
View Quote
This, and .mil discount too.  I just bought a couple Whirlpools there, both already on sale.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chest freezers are great for kegerators and hooker storage, but they are too easy to lose and forget shit in.  Get an upright self defrost type if you can.
View Quote
I just replaced my small chest freezer with a little bigger upright.  No telling how much food I wasted due to freezer burn in that chest.  Never having another one.

If you will continually rotate I guess they are ok.

I’ve always had great luck with Frigidaire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Whatever is on sale.
View Quote
My local grocery store had a deal going on years ago for a chest freezer and 100% off coupons for food to fill it.  It was cheap, $250 if I recall for the POS freezer and the food.  The food coupons were for very specific items and you could not sub in your preferences but it was worth it over all.

The no name brand freezer is 6 or so years old now, still works great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chest freezers are great for kegerators and hooker storage, but they are too easy to lose and forget shit in.  Get an upright self defrost type if you can.
View Quote
Make sure your chest freezer can fit plastic crates, and then it is easier to sort and get to stuff.

I keep fish in one, steaks in one, wild game in one, ect

When stacked, easy to pull one crate out and get to the lower one.

Chest freezers stay frozen longer if you have to deal with power outages and don't run a generator. Just freeze jugs of water if you don't have it full, to help it stay colder and run more efficient.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I got one from lowes for around 120$ this year and it's been great.  Dont knows the brand off the top.of my head right now though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Just bought a new Frigidaire.

Love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
We're empty nesters so we don't need to keep as much food on hand. Converted the chest freezer to a keezer. Big enough for 2 5 gal kegs and a 10lb CO2 bottle inside.
Got it from Sam's originally for around $120 about 10 years ago.

Just looked, different name but still the same externally for $140 shipped or $160 picked up in store.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/igloo-5-1-chest-freezer/prod20960097?xid=plp_product_1_1
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a cheap Insginia chest freezer about 5 years ago from Best Buy. I believe it’s 5.0 cubic feet and was around $160 bucks. It’s been in my hot garage ever since and runs like a champ. It’ll hold about 2 medium sized deer fully processed maybe a little less.

Looking back I wish I had gotten the 7.0 cubic foot size for a little more room but I can’t complain it works great otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whatever is on sale.
View Quote
Bought a GE because it's what was on sale at HD that week, think I paid about $170 after all the discounts.
Stuck it in the garage and cranked the temp all the way.
7 years later, no complaints. It runs a lot in the summer, by the time August rolls around I wish I'd put it in the basement in April.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Costco has a nice one. I don't remember the brand but I got one a year ago and paid maybe $150
View Quote
They were selling Hisense brand a month ago. There was some other brand there last year too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
5 cu ft to 7 cu ft

Fridgidair?  GE?  Other?

View Quote

Costco had one for $150.
Costco has a good 'warranty' / customer service.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just replaced my small chest freezer with a little bigger upright.  No telling how much food I wasted due to freezer burn in that chest.  Never having another one.

If you will continually rotate I guess they are ok.

I’ve always had great luck with Frigidaire.
View Quote
I think the self defrost cuts down on freezer burn.  I can freeze bread in a self defrost, but it doesn't take long to burn in a non-defrost model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top