Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Need a impact wrench (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/10/2024 8:37:22 AM EDT
What is a good impact to buy? I need to do a brake & rotor job on my wife’s Camry. Dewalt or Milwaukee?
1/2 or 3/8? Will be the first time doing it myself,don’t look hard at all,I don’t want to pay close to a thousand dollars to do this job when it’s so easy a cave man can do it!
Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Milwaukee is better, but do you have any tools/batteries now?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:39:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#2]
Either. Both 1/2" will have way, way more torque than you likely need. Both have a solid "I wasn't asking" mode.

I'd still get the 1/2" assuming you don't get both.

I'm a Milwaukee guy so I say get that if you must have a reco, but likely whatever battery system you have offers one. If not, time for a new battery system to standardize on, and to answer that question we need to know what you do with your tools.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Milwaukee is best... but not cheap to get started. Once you have them, they make working on your car/truck a breeze
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:40:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike3000fl] [#4]
Unless you have to remove an axle nut, you should be just fine using a breaker bar and ratchet.

Save the money for a torque wrench. That will be much more useful for that job in getting things torqued to spec. You will need a lower range one for the caliper bolts and a higher range one for the lug nuts. Harbor freight is your friend
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
Milwaukee is better, but do you have any tools/batteries now?
View Quote

I have plenty of hand tools,I don’t have any power tools.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, it could probably be done without an impact. Milwaukee and DeWalt are always going to be top of the line, if you haven't needed one so far, you could easily get by with Ryobi, plus they have a whole host of other tools. Price wise you'll be saving a lot of money.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the Craftsman V20 1/2" impact, and it has outlasted my Milwaukee and was 1/3 the price.

Milwaukee has been overpriced shit the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#8]
Originally Posted By bossco14:

I have plenty of hand tools,I don’t have any power tools.
View Quote

Well then.

What do you plan on doing with your newfound power tool set?

Weekend warrior? Ryobi works in most cases.

Automotive? Milwaukee.

Woodworking? Dewalt.

Generalist? Milwaukee or Makita.

So on and so forth.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Not so much the brand, but the battery system is what you want to invest in.

Pick one and then buy the rest of the needed tools as you go.

I used to be DeWalt but started to notice that Milwaukee has more mechanic-centric tools. So I made the switch. DeWalt is catching up.

I carry a 3/8 M12 and it has yet to find anything on my 4Runner it can’t bust loose. Nice and compact. I take the 1/2 M18 with me on trips for a just in case scenario.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:44:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#10]
Either one will be fine.  Pick which one you want to invest other tools/batteries in.

Personally, for a brake job, I never bother with the impact.  Two bolts for the caliper sliders are small and often allen heads and not tight.  The two bracket bolts are the bigger ones and can be too tight with clearances to get an impact in their easily, but not hard with a breaker bar.

Edit - nevermind, I'm an idiot.  I absolutely do use my impact for the lug nuts.  I wasn't thinking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the nuclear Milwaukee M18 1/2", best $250 I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Either/or

If you have batteries I’d just stick with whatever brand you have
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Well then.

What do you plan on doing with your newfound power tool set?

Weekend warrior? Ryobi works in most cases.

Automotive? Milwaukee.

Woodworking? Dewalt.

Generalist? Milwaukee or Makita.

So on and so forth.
View Quote

I’m getting lazy,figure it will make working on cars easier.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#14]

I'll never dissuade anyone from buying more tools, but I've never used an impact doing brakes.  This being said, some may have gone easier with an impact.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I recently bought a DeWalt DCF891 from Amazon for $200.  I have all DeWalt stuff so that's why I went with them.  I've only used it to do a tire rotation so far but I was shocked at how easily it removed the lug nuts.  I imagine it will handle a brake job with ease.

I chose this model specifically after watching this video:

Dyno Graphs of Every DeWALT Impact: How Much DO You Need?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mike3000fl:
Unless you have to remove an axle nut, you should be just fine using a breaker bar and ratchet.

Save the money for a torque wrench. That will be much more useful for that job in getting things torqued to spec. You will need a lower range one for the caliper bolts and a higher range one for the lug nuts. Harbor freight is your friend
View Quote

+1

Removing bolts is fine

Do not install with these impacts for a brake job on a car or light truck.  They are way to powerful and you will over torque or break bolts.

I use mine for stubborn removal and larger equipment like larger tractors and trucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:

+1

Removing bolts is fine

Do not install with these impacts for a brake job on a car or light truck.  They are way to powerful and you will over torque or break bolts.

I use mine for stubborn removal and larger equipment like larger tractors and trucks.
View Quote

Another reason I like Big Red. One of the settings stops the wrench as soon as it feels resistance. Barely holding down the trigger on that setting can start nuts/bolts without worry.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#18]
For those saying you don't need an impact for a brake job, they do make it a lot easier to remove the tire to get to the brakes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone smart needs to design an adapter that goes between the tool and the battery so you can use different already owned batteries [with the same voltage] with another brands tool. They would make millions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
For those saying you don't need an impact for a brake job, they do make it a lot easier to remove the tire to get to the brakes.
View Quote

I've held off buying power tools just because I didn't want to spend the money since I'm just a DIY'er.  I have 3/8" and 1/2" impacts now and my only regret is not buying them sooner.  They make every job easier.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Someone smart needs to design an adapter that goes between the tool and the battery so you can use different already owned batteries [with the same voltage] with another brands tool. They would make millions.
View Quote
They sell them at most big box hardware stores, Amazon, et ...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never used an impact wrench or ANY power tools to do brakes on any vehicle. I've always used hand tools.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a corded 1/2" model from Harbor Freight.  It does the job for tire rotations and other similar car stuff.

I considered getting a Milwaukee since I have a bunch of their stuff, but decided not to. So far I'm happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
View Quote

Peak Poe’s Law
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexustech48] [#25]
IR 2135Ti for air. Mines going on 18 years with 1 overhaul. Still hits hard as fuck.

Cordless? DeWalt or Milwaukee. Regardless of brand make sure you get Brushless and 18 or 20v.

Edit: You'll need a half inch for the lugs and caliper bracket. 3/8 for the caliper to bracket bolts.

Sockets: 6 point only! 12 point only if you have a specific 12 point fastener.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#26]
The real question ought to be what battery ecosystem best suits your style.  

Milwaukee - I don't care what it costs, I want it to work, and I want to look perfshunal.  
Ryobi - I care what it costs, but I still want it to work.
Ridgid - I don't care what it weighs, I just want to abuse it and get free batteries (assuming it gets registered).
Harbor Freight - I don't care how I am perceived by my peers, I just gotta get this one job done.  
Hart (Wal-Mart) - I just don't care.
DeWalt - Not really sure who buys DeWalt, or why.  Some of them are good and some of it is rebadged Black and Decker junk.  Maybe they like yellow?  

I got into the Ridgid ecosystem many years ago for 18V and have been pretty happy.  They make a few different impact wrenches in various toque classes, but not as many as others.  My mid torque one has come through for me when I needed it, but sometimes just barely.  They have the lifetime service agreement, which has treated me pretty well over the years, but hasn't always worked out like I'd hoped.  Just make sure you follow the direction on registration.  They have some screaming good sales and clearance deals sometimes.  Sales of significant merit are pretty uncommon with the brands you asked about, at least in the 18V lineup.  

In truth, I know plenty of people happy with their DeWalt tools.  Do your research and know that just 'cause it's yellow, doesn't mean it's good.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#27]
From a previous deal thread, I picked up a M18 Fuel 1/2” Mid-torque Impact. Very handy tool to have around.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:10:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#28]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20200204_200257-1263680.jpg

I'll never dissuade anyone from buying more tools, but I've never used an impact doing brakes.  This being said, some may have gone easier with an impact.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Gross.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
I bought a corded 1/2" model from Harbor Freight.  It does the job for tire rotations and other similar car stuff.
View Quote

Just do this OP.
Why invest in an expensive battery and charger along with a tool designed for daily use that you might use once a year?

If you like pissing money away just so you can tell the guys at work you bought the most expensive atomic age option to take a couple tires off, go for it.

Just plug this into the wall.

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp-12-in-impact-wrench-with-rocker-switch-64120.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Maybe they consider taking the wheel off to be a separate job from doing the brakes???
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#32]
My son has a pile of Milwaukee Fuel tools and they are excellent.
Between remodeling his house and my auto work they get a lot of use.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Milwaukee m12 1/2" stub is what I use
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dynamo:

I've held off buying power tools just because I didn't want to spend the money since I'm just a DIY'er.  I have 3/8" and 1/2" impacts now and my only regret is not buying them sooner.  They make every job easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dynamo:

This. As a mechanic, I know my use profile is a little different than a DIYer, but an impact will reduce the time it takes to do something like a brake job significantly.

OP, if you want to use an impact on the front caliper bracket bolts, you'll need an impact-specific universal joint. Toyota loves putting front strut bolts in the way of the caliper bracket bolts.

Also, if you decide to run down the lug nuts with the impact, don't go nuts. The torque spec on a camry with aluminum wheels is only 76lbft and it takes almost no time for a battery impact to reach that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I just picked up a DeWalt 922B a couple weeks ago for when I don't feel like dragging out the air hose and have been really happy with it. I'm a DeWalt guy and already have a ton of 20V and 60V stuff and chargers everywhere though so it made sense.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I ran across a new looking Walmart brand “ Hypertough” 1/2” drive impact clearanced at a local pawnshop for $20.

I already had a corded one and a small Craftsman, so I figured I’d gamble $20 on it.

It has been ridiculously good, almost as strong as the corded Craftsman, long battery life, just outstanding. It has been my go-to throughout my F-150 4x4 suspension re-build.

If you’re looking for cheap , reliable and perfectly functional , I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I went with the Dewalt impact because my wife bought me a Dewalt 20VMax drill driver for Christmas 5 years ago. I now have a pegboard wall of Dewalt 20VMax tools, all have performed well. We have Dewalt and Milwaukee at work and both get the job done.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#38]
Milwaukee is the way. It's a system and they have the best one, so many useful tools. Sorry for your pocket book though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Be careful using an impact on those little bolts on the brake calipers.  Particularly if you're not used to using that tool.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drumbic] [#40]
I have a 1/2in Makita and has been a champ for the last 14 years!   What battery eco system are you vested in?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Milwaukee 1/2"
Use torque wrench for final tightening of lug nuts.
These are powerfull and have no problem snapping bolts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M-60:
Be careful using an impact on those little bolts on the brake calipers.  Particularly if you're not used to using that tool.

Ask me how I know.

View Quote

Good thing slide pin kits are cheap at parts stores
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Also....don't squash the man's justification to get a new tool.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 2 cordless impacts, 1/2 and 3/8. Never used them on the brakes aside from taking the wheels off. No way you can get it anywhere near the bolts to use it. Breaker bar to get the caliper bracket bolts loose. Everything else is a normal 3/8 ratchet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I’m in the m12 and m18 battery family. Consider m12 impacts since they have a stubby and right angle which can be helpful in tight spots.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:40:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#48]
View Quote

You are 100% right, I wasn't thinking about that.  I use my Ryobi 1/2" impact for those.  It is not a beast at all, and not something I'd recommend unless some was already heavily invested in Ryobi equipment, but it has been able to handle my F150 and Honda Pilot every time.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Either. Both 1/2" will have way, way more torque than you likely need. Both have a solid "I wasn't asking" mode.

I'd still get the 1/2" assuming you don't get both.

I'm a Milwaukee guy so I say get that if you must have a reco, but likely whatever battery system you have offers one. If not, time for a new battery system to standardize on, and to answer that question we need to know what you do with your tools.
View Quote

This.

I'll also reiterate to watch the "fuck shit up" mode, if you don't want to fuck shit up, if you get the 1/2"

I bought the Dewalt that Granger blew out last year and, while it isn't as powerful as their current offering, I've not found anything it can't loosen or destroy yet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Gross.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gross.

Yes, but the rust belt sees it as a medium.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Need a impact wrench (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top