Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
More Nebraskans helping Nebraskans.
Pilots fly people and supplies to and from Fremont amid flooding

Every pilot was a volunteer, donating their time and fuel.

“Fremont is landlocked and they're running out of food. And I think everyone needs to do what they can to help out. And I had an airplane that was sitting in a hangar, that had gas in it, so I’m just more than happy to help,” Steve Hill, a pilot, said.

Pilots said nearly 50 people lined up Sunday morning to fly out of Fremont. They think they hauled more than 100 people each way. For them, it's something little for an area that needs so much.

“There’s been 25-30 pilots, probably more, that have been doing this all day long. One of the busiest airports in the country is right here in Fremont Nebraska,” Mike McGillick, a pilot, said.

If you need in or out of Fremont, you can call either the Millard or Fremont airports to find a flight. They are free.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Offutt AFB from the air yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

They evacuated nine jets and moved more to the higher ramp.  It's a mess there, but the mission goes on.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That is sad.

I read the article, and agree that farmers are "get it done" people.  Nothing stands in their way to immediately tackle problems that come up on the farm, or in folks' lives.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Bobcat.  I'm not far from the flooding. I can't do much now, but I figure on going down there and helping em out  when the water goes down. Whatever I can do.
View Quote
A bobcat can really help for those about to be flooded. Been there, done that. Might happen again this spring. Our lakes are already a foot higher than summer max.
We won't have the widespread disaster that Nebraska has, but if our dam fails, a good part of east Madison will be underwater and the island I'm on will be pretty much wiped out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that's what deplorable's do when they see their neighbors in trouble.  They don't start looting and begging for help, they figure out a solution and get the trucks/planes/boats rolling.  When the water recedes you will see neighbors helping rebuild their communities, but that will not get any MSM coverage either.

Nebraska and South Dakota were definitely hit the hardest this go around.  We have had minor flooding, but nothing as bad as out West.  I'm sure I'll be traveling out to NE this spring to help my Mother-in-law survey any damage to her land, so far it just sounds like a lot of erosion around some small creeks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Lincoln, NE is now under mandatory water restrictions.  No clothes washing, asking people to use disposable plates & glasses, etc.  The city wells draw from next to the Platte river so some of them have been flooded and lost power.  The water we have is safe to drink, but the supply is limited.  If the rest of the wells go down the water won't last long with about 300,000 people drinking it.  We still have it easy compared to most of the state, though.  Very little flooding for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
They just rebuilt the runway at Offut AFB a few years back.  I wonder if the flood will destroy it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You never know what bounty the flood waters will leave you when they leave

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did it get wet 6 or 7 years ago too?
View Quote
It got close but not onto the base. The sand bagging worked in 2011.

The 2019 flood is significantly more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/Capture_JPG-882261.JPG

They evacuated nine jets and moved more to the higher ramp.  It's a mess there, but the mission goes on.
View Quote
The hanger I work out of is in that pic. We are going to have a lot of work ahead of us after the water goes down.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Whats going to be devastating long term to the state is the agricultrural losses.  This extreme cold was causing ALOT of calving losses.  People are calving 24 hours due to the ridiculous cold recently.  Lots of calves lost and even cows.

Now with the flooding, my neice told me over by Lindsay, guy had to shoot 150 of his cows, that were caught in the flood.  Didn't want to let them suffer.  In this terrible farm economy, this year was going to cause quite a few people out of the business.  This weather is just driving nails into the ag coffin.

I've got some pics fro out here in the sandhills.  We had a mess for 24-36 hours, but nothing like the eastern part of the state.  All our water and snow headed east.

Pray for those folks affected, please.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They just rebuilt the runway at Offut AFB a few years back.  I wonder if the flood will destroy it?
View Quote
It was a section of taxi way that was replaced. It will be ok.

The runway replacement  and leeve improvement is scheduled to start next fall.

Wish we had those now not next year.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

(Water Hijack)
Hope you guys all have RO Units and a crapload of sediment and carbon pre-filters.   I learned from the last flood, so I also have.. a lot..  in totes here as well.  Keep UV cycled through stored water not in use, and rotate it as normal, unless you want to chlorinate it with pool shock (tiny amount, see other forums).   Keep at least 2 dozen sediment filters, they barely last 10 gallons when the water is yucky, half again that for carbon.  I use 10 then 1 micron sediment, followed by 2 carbon blocks, then to RO unit, the waste can be saved for washing, if you UV it as well.
(/Water Hijack)
View Quote
In any other part of the country people go out for looting and pillaging. In nebraska the looting and pillaging comes to us.

Damit. I did the wrong quote. Was suppose to be the beer fridge post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  I’ve lived here since the late 80’s and this is the worst flooding I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No.  I've lived here since the late 80's and this is the worst flooding I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  I've lived here since the late 80's and this is the worst flooding I've seen.
Same here born and raised
Worst flooding I have ever seen .
The longest most brutal winter I remember as well
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@GoBigRed

Hit quote on the post you intended to quote, copy all the stuff there, close that tab.  Edit your reply above, paste the quote you intended in your edit.

Nobody will be the wiser.  
View Quote
That sounds like a lot of work. I will just try harder next time. This thread is only 4 pages long. Its not like its a popular one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]
That is tragic, he was a hero. RIP, hero.

My family member is part of the 55th AW @ Offut AFB, that place is next to the river so I was not surprised it was flooded.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Terrible way to go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Elkhorn river floods by my home town every 10 years or so, but it's in a very rural area without much in the way of flood protection.  I remember as a kid seeing carp swimming through the ditches in town.  I've never seen anything like this before, though.  The scale of the disaster is just unbelievable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Preliminary damage estimates.  These don't include the impact to the agricultural industry which could top a billion dollars.

https://www.omaha.com/news/public-safety/preliminary-flood-damage-estimates-released-for-nebraska-counties/article_49666ce0-dcbb-59f8-b86d-d6d0697f477b.html
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Elkhorn river floods by my home town every 10 years or so, but it's in a very rural area without much in the way of flood protection.  I remember as a kid seeing carp swimming through the ditches in town.  I've never seen anything like this before, though.  The scale of the disaster is just unbelievable.
View Quote
We thought 2011 was as bad as it could get. We were wrong.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Shitty. A lot of idiots trying to drive around forcing good Samaritans and first responders into harms way.

I need to GTFO of NE. This weather shit is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#29]
i live in NE.  we are fine.  we never were in harms way.  my lawn is super squishy.

my in-laws and parents live closer.  they had a ton of water through fields and roads.  some roads are out and country roads are a total disaster in many places.  its just a mess.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that the rec center?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is that the rec center?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the rec center?
The closest building is the E-4 hangar that can fit a 747.  The really wide building further away is the main maintenance facility for the 135s.  The fitness center is behind that up on a hill and is dry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The fitness center is behind that up on a hill and is dry.
View Quote
Well, at least that's something.  We used to do camp outs there in Boy Scouts when I was little.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
We've had low-land flooding here, but nothing like north and east of us.  Water across the roads but not water ERASING the roads.

They did lose an old bridge about 70 miles from here, thats the worse it is close to Cozad, NE.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes we were. And 2011 sucked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
If it didn’t happen in an elitist state it’s irrelevant.  Only New York hurricanes and California wildfires matter. Unless it can tied to Trump.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to derail the thread, but if the grand solar minimum data is correct, this is only the beginning of about 30-50 years of much worse weather.

Like much, MUCH worse.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Prayers for you all in NE. I assume the levees around Eppely Airfield in OMA are holding?

I love laying over in OMA. Good people.

TC
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It’s amazing the amount of Busch light Nebraskans drink.
View All Quotes
It's not our fault that we aren't in Yuengling territory.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If it didn’t happen in an elitist state it’s irrelevant.  Only New York hurricanes and California wildfires matter. Unless it can tied to Trump.
View Quote
CNN did have it on their site, but they just can't stop being fake news.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Prayers for you all in NE. I assume the levees around Eppely Airfield in OMA are holding?

I love laying over in OMA. Good people.

TC
View Quote
Eppley hasn't been impacted by the flooding so it seems the work they did after the last one tested good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Don't we have a Nebraska farmer on here?

@stutzcattle  ????

LC
View Quote
My parents are.  I grew up there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Another pulse of water will be coming down the Missouri next week as we are forecast to melt off much of the snow pack in eastern SD and southwestern MN.  7" water equivalent in the snow yet.  Forecast right now is for record breaking crests all along the Big Sioux River which dumps into the Missouri at Sioux City.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#44]
2011 was mostly just the Missouri flooding from up north... this is every river plus the north. Not sure the cold at night is worth the lack of gnats and mosquitoes...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Now there’s something you don’t see every day.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#47]
We'll quit making fun of Floridaman for awhile

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
awesome!  i can't remember what they are called, but they float on water and climb rocks.  i really want one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
awesome!  i can't remember what they are called, but they float on water and climb rocks.  i really want one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Called a Sherp . Think they're Russian
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Never been impressed with any of the contact I have had with the Corp Of Engineers

Grassley Says Army Corps Actions Made Flooding Worse

Grassley says the corps released too much water too early from the Gavins Point Dam on the Nebraska-South Dakota border. Additionally, the corps several years ago ordered the removal of reinforcements to a levee in Hamburg, Ia, that protected the town from flooding in 2011.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top