Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2023 9:18:43 AM EDT
Hey folks. I need the proper name for a tool i saw.

Arfcom is all seeing, all knowing (and loaded with shitposters), so i figure someone might know of a thing i saw on the BoobTube. This woodworker was carving log furnature using a normal 4" angle grinder. You know,  those electric grinders normally used for grinding metal.

The thing looked 187% dangerous, but he was hogging out some wood with it, so i really want one. If nothing else but to make chips fly like he was.

Anyone know what that type of wood hogger blade is called? I know the local big box outfits do not have them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a shaping disc. They are somewhere between cutoff wheels and concrete grinding discs. A variation on that is called a carving disc. The guy at the fair who does (mostly) chainsaw carving uses those to clean up.

There are also ball gouges, but they are actually pretty safe and require arbor attachments.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
@flysc

These are the tits.

https://kutzall.com/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You might be thinking of this thing called the Lancelot. I've never used one, but they sure as hell look scary enough to want to try.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might be thinking of this thing called the Lancelot. I've never used one, but they sure as hell look scary enough to want to try.
https://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/301821-img_200x194.jpg
View Quote

Absurdly dangerous more like.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]

That has got to be what he was using. I never saw it not spinning. Thanks.

The other disc the first poster also looks handy and just as dangerous...i think i need both!

Thanks folks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That has got to be what he was using. I never saw it not spinning. Thanks.

The other disc the first poster also looks handy and just as dangerous...i think i need both!

Thanks folks!
View Quote

I added a YouTube video to my post that you should probably watch first.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
wtf is that thing?

some sort of 21st century chinee throwing star?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/301821-img_200x194.jpg

I know. Figured I'd buy one before the communists sue them into bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP!

I was just sitting here wondering how to get my hands closer to a chainsaw chain.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch.

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks OP!

I was just sitting here wondering how to get my hands closer to a chainsaw chain.

View Quote

'Merica!
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks OP!

View Quote

If that's not enough to tickle your fancy, you could always try a bow saw.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjSp5wg5Wc
View Quote

*insurance premium intensifies*
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does anyone still manufacture bow saws like that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Those chainsaw blade angle grinder disks look like a trip to the hospital, possibly the morgue, to me.

I’m not touching that shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one of these, made by Kutzall.  Coarse grit
Used it to remove wood for a bench seat (tractor style) made of dry cherry.   So not something i wouldve wanted to do with just a gutter adze and a scorp (bent drawknife)    It works good for taking wood off quickly and not causing tearout, BUT it will not give  you a smooth finish at all.  You will need to follow up with lots of sanding - although I used couple hand tools specific to hand making chair seats to get a nice smooth surface

https://www.rockler.com/kutzall-4-1-2-shaping-disc?country=US&sid=V91041&promo=shopping&tid=pla&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

There are some others but one I think there was a notice to stop use.  I think it uses carbide or tool steel cutters brazed into the disc - arbortech

Another  with chain saw teeth, and that one always looked pretty sketchy

And another I used and is very nice and very expensive and hard to find by a company from france called Auriou.   It has hand cut teeth like a bastard file.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.manpatools.com
Slightly less dangerous.  Lots of videos on Instagram.

I’ve been watching recently because I cut some oak burls and I want to hack them into something that resembles a bowl.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Those are awesome for carving, but it is basically a chainsaw that is all tip and it is impossible to stand out of the kickback zone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
This is what you want.  Not that chainsaw blade of death shit.

Amazon

YouTuber Stumpy Nubs almost lived up to his name using one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Woodworker friend had one of the chainsaw blade disks. That thing could remove some wood in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
There are a whole cadre of shaping blades marketed to the chainsaw art crafters

https://katools.com/

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Woodworker friend had one of the chainsaw blade disks. That thing could remove some wood in a hurry.
View Quote
And it will remove body parts even quicker. I was a professional cabinet and furniture maker for 25 years or so, and the first time I tried my luck with one of those things I didn't even last 5 seconds. I put it the fuck away before I got hurt. That's the scariest tool I ever had in my hands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is what you want.  Not that chainsaw blade of death shit.

Amazon

YouTuber Stumpy Nubs almost lived up to his name using one.
View Quote

That might actually be what i saw the guy using. The wood flying off the posts he was chamfering looked more like shavings than sawdust. Looks less agressive/dangerous than the chain tooth thing. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty sure Harbor Freight sells them.  I'm tool loving guy, and that thing gives me pause.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And it will remove body parts even quicker. I was a professional cabinet and furniture maker for 25 years or so, and the first time I tried my luck with one of those things I didn't even last 5 seconds. I put it the fuck away before I got hurt. That's the scariest tool I ever had in my hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can see who's actually used some of these tools and who is just throwing stuff out there in this thread
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I name it sandy
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We can see who's actually used some of these tools and who is just throwing stuff out there in this thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LanceLot chainsaw disc is pretty aggressive.  Use a grinder with a paddle switch, not a thumb button that locks on.  I've used one, still have all my fingers.  You can feel the grain and the direction its cutting.  Position your body properly, pay attention, and you can shape some wood.  Wear PPE, kevlar chaps, etc.  I make sure there are no distractions around and I've got one of those JawHorse vise stands and lock the material in that.  

The design is two clamping washers that hold the chain in place.  Supposed to act like a slip clutch if the cutter binds up.

The "rasp" or "burr" discs work well too.  But they tear the wood fibers out and leave a rougher finish than the Lancelot disc does.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Grinder Discs That Shouldn't Exist | QUAD BLADE S1E2
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:50:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Harbor Freight sells them.  I'm tool loving guy, and that thing gives me pause.
View Quote

I drove to a Harbor Freight this evening and they had most types listed in this thread.

They even had the Chainsaw of Death kind, but i wussied out and went with the one with the six carbide blades. It was actually $3 cheaper than the one listed the Amazon link above.

Got it home and mounted it on my Dewalt grinder. Viced up a chunk of scrap 2x4. The thing is badass. Exactly what i needed. It even threw shavings out like i saw in the video. I rounded off the edge of that board in like 10 seconds. I even gouged it into the board rather aggressively after to test kickback. None. It just whittled out a groove.

I can see it will not be something to get complacent with. It could still mess you up without a firm grip with both hands.

@ScottsGT

The one i picked up at HF looks just like that one you linked. Different brand name, but i can tell no difference. The thing is awesome.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Stumpy nubs was first thing I thought of.

Yeah, those look like kickback machines.   Thank you for at least not getting one of those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Used a 6 inch cut off wheel to cut some 3/4 plywood at work last week. Have been known in the past to take 14" chop saw blades intended for metal that get worn down to 8 inches or so and put those in the angle grinders. Not extremely accurate and the kerf is wider than a normal cut off wheel but when you need to cut something without flipping it or getting to the back side they come in handy.

That chain disc doesn't seem fun
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I learn very quickly by watching others getting fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I drove to a Harbor Freight this evening and they had most types listed in this thread.

They even had the Chainsaw of Death kind, but i wussied out and went with the one with the six carbide blades. It was actually $3 cheaper than the one listed the Amazon link above.

Got it home and mounted it on my Dewalt grinder. Viced up a chunk of scrap 2x4. The thing is badass. Exactly what i needed. It even threw shavings out like i saw in the video. I rounded off the edge of that board in like 10 seconds. I even gouged it into the board rather aggressively after to test kickback. None. It just whittled out a groove.

I can see it will not be something to get complacent with. It could still mess you up without a firm grip with both hands.

@ScottsGT

The one i picked up at HF looks just like that one you linked. Different brand name, but i can tell no difference. The thing is awesome.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20230123_020241_jpg-2682390.JPG

View Quote

Cool!  I’ll put it on my HF shopping list.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Not what you are asking about, but I always liked this

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, the only rule here is that if you go use one of those chainsaw discs, you must later post gruesome pics of your injuries (with a warning in the title of course).
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell no! Too many people injured themselves with them.

I have one on a Homelite Super XL Automatic from 1975 that I use occasionally.

I don't think they are that dangerous if used properly and for what they were intended for but that is a pretty small window. If you take it out of that window then the danger factor goes up rapidly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the arbor tech ball gouge

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I use the carving/Lancelot chainsaw blade on my grinder to grind down small stumps around my patio. Not sure what folks freak out is about, just position yourself properly and be careful. It removes a great amount of wood quickly and safely. Have used them with both my corded and cordless angle grinder.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Poulan did. You really don't see them except is shops that cater to the actual logging crowd. Stihl and Husqvarna probably still have some as options.

My dad had one as payment for a loan to some guy.

Once you got the hang of it, you could de-limb like a mofo with that thing. I never thought it was worth it as a general saw for anything bigger than 8-10 in diameter though. Never liked it for felling the tree, worked great on clean up and trimming the tops down to the trunk for sizing.

It's easy to 'hang' if you don't know what you are doing. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not what you are asking about, but I always liked this

https://i.imgur.com/nDLxcE9.png
View Quote

I've never been a Safety Sally, but I ain't touching that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Finger removers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Flysc: were you watching Cam with Blacktail Studio build a walnut table?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

@M4ger

No. It was some guy working with logs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@M4ger

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@M4ger

cool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, this thread cost me money.  I’ve been fighting pine tree roots that come to the surface and get too tall for my mower.  Figured it was time to really go all out on these things.

Milwaukee M18 grinder for $80 and the blade I mentioned that OP bought at Harbor Freight.  Got Damn!  That SOB takes down a tree root to nothing in seconds flat!  

I figured a $100 investment in tools is cheaper than fucking up a $6500 ZTR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#48]
That thing really looks dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top