BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Confederates are traitors and losers... and there should not be military bases named after them.
View Quote

Bragg was a horrible general and Hood should never have risen above division command.

There should be a Fort Patrick R. Cleburne.  As a Confederate, he advocated the arming of slaves (and their emancipation).  He felt the survival of the Confederacy was far more important than slavery.  Unfortunately, his memorial to the Confederate Congress was quickly dismissed and it wasn't until April 1865 that two small companies of blacks were raised in Richmond.  Cleburne was dead by then (killed at the Battle of Franklin along with six other Confederate generals and the flower of the Army of Tennessee).
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Republicans fought and died to free the slaves.

The KKK was founded by Democrats
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The south was so short of saltpeter (needed to make gunpowder) that they requested that households turn in the contents of chamberpots (urine) to make saltpeter.

"Urine was used to make gunpowder during the Civil War. The southern army even put ads in the newspapers asking Southern ladies to save their urine and that wagons with barrels would be sent "around to gather up the lotion."

www.factretriever.com/urine-facts

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Republicans fought and died to free the slaves.

The KKK was founded by Democrats
View Quote
Thanks brave Republicans! I just love living in a country where every major city is a crime ridden ghetto. Every. Single. Large. City. I just love our diversity so much, we're all the same and equal!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Confederates are traitors and losers... and there should not be military bases named after them.
View Quote

I'm a yankee, and even I know this is absolute nonsense. The South formed a confederacy and went through all the correct legal procedures to peacefully secede, exactly as specified in the US Constitution. The North, afraid of losing the country's rich agricultural base and access to transport by water, ignored the legalities and declared war.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
New York shipyards built most of the slave ships, with NY financing.

There were slaves in New Jersey during the CW.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You did not want to be in the Confederate Submarine Service.
View Quote

Sounds like the guy who's job it was to clean out the bodies of the last crew and tidy things up for the next crew had plenty of work to do!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Alexander Stephens was the Vice President of the Confederacy. Before the war he was a US Congressman, and after the war he was a US Congressman. He eventually became governor of Georgia. His association with the Confederacy didn't hurt his political career a bit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
While not the first ironclad ships (the Koreans have that claim to fame), the epic March 9, 1862 class between the USS Monitor and the CSN Virginia was the first duel between steam powered ironclad vessels.  Overnight the rest of the world's navies were obsolete.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Texas had more people in 1860 (604,215) than California (379,994), and more people than Wyoming has today.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Eat shit. Forgot to post this was in response to renaming military bases. The original post may have been in jest.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Johnson’s island in Marblehead, OH was a prison for confederate officers and later accepted all POWs from the South.  There are 2 graveyards (that I know of) on the island.  It was later a quarry for limestone and is now almost completely built up with vacation homes for Lake Erie boaters.  
There is one building ruins still (somewhat) standing on the island called “The Pub” which was a bar for North soldiers protecting the island.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The USS Monitor was the first American ship to have an sub-surface toilet.   Normally crew members hung their azz over the side to relieve themselves.

View Quote

LT Worden was ordered by Generals Scott and Halleck to carry dispatches to the commanders of Fort Pickens and Pensacola Navy Yard.  His dispatches ordered both to continue to hold and not surrender to the confederates.  LT Worden was captured in Montgomery by confederates and was held as one of the first prisoners of war until exchanged.  He was the CO of the Monitor during the battle of Hamton Roads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
First war in which both sides had balloons.  The Union captured the Confederate balloon and Longstreet thought it was one of the nastiest Yankee tricks of the war.

A Confederate proposed building a fleet of orinthopers with which he proposed to carpet bomb Union armies, bombard blockading Union ships and rain greek fire down upon Union cities.  Within seven days the Union would beg for peace.  Being an iron frame, oak planked aeroplane powered by a 1 HP steam engine and flown by a "conductor,"  it never would have flown.  His thoughts on airpower though predated Guilo Douhet.  BTW, had an article published over a decadee ago on it.  Post war the "inventor" became a dentist in Waco, TX.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm a yankee, and even I know this is absolute nonsense. The South formed a confederacy and went through all the correct legal procedures to peacefully secede, exactly as specified in the US Constitution. The North, afraid of losing the country's rich agricultural base and access to transport by water, ignored the legalities and declared war.
View Quote

They can keep the statues. Just don’t name US bases after them. I understand most think this is a contentious issue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
First war with the widespread use of metallic cartridge repeating rifles (Spencer and Henry).

Over 160,000 blacks fought in the ranks of the Union Army.  When you include those who were sailors, manservants, laborers, teamsters, cooks, washerwomen, well over 200,000 served the North.  

The 54th Massachusetts was not the first Union regiment composed of black soldiers to fight.  That honour belongs to the 1st and 3rd Louisiana Native Guards who fought (and were slaughtered) at Port Hudson, Louisiana.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya'll and Youse Guys are all wrong. It was started by the same Peeps as has been started since, like forever. For the Merchants were the great men of the earth and by their "sorceries" were all nations deceived. East India Trading Co. et al.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Although the Union won the Civil War against the slaveholding Confederacy, blacks in the 21st Century expect the Union to pay reparations for their ancestors' slavery.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bragg was a horrible general and Hood should never have risen above division command.

There should be a Fort Patrick R. Cleburne.  As a Confederate, he advocated the arming of slaves (and their emancipation).  He felt the survival of the Confederacy was far more important than slavery.  Unfortunately, his memorial to the Confederate Congress was quickly dismissed and it wasn't until April 1865 that two small companies of blacks were raised in Richmond.  Cleburne was dead by then (killed at the Battle of Franklin along with six other Confederate generals and the flower of the Army of Tennessee).
View Quote

Bragg was horrible at tactics that is true but his training of the Army of Mobile and Pensacola of 8000-10000 troops from Jan 61 - May 62 resulted in solid cohesion and very well disciplined troops.  So much so that they stood and died at Shiloh..  those troops were some of the best the south had and were irreplaceable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They can keep the statues. Just don’t name US bases after them. I understand most think this is a contentious issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you suck it.

The names of military post have history with everyone who served on them. Benning for example is a place I often visit because of the men who came before me. I doubt you will understand this.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The third crew (after it had been sunk and salvaged twice) must have been some brave souls.
View Quote

Or terribly uninformed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Major William Chase built Fort Pickens and Fort McRee and Ft Barrancas in Pensacola.  He retired from the US Army and was given a Colonel commission by Governor of Florida.  He was ordered to take the very forts he built.   He was able to secure Ft Barrancas but wasn’t able to stop the federal troops from taking Fort Pickens. He demanded surrender of the fort on three occasions.  He was denied three times.  The last time, the federal commander (Lt Slemmer) ordered should he return he would be thrown into irons in the fort.  Knowing how well the forts were built, Colonel Chase resigned from the militia.  NAS Pensacola airfield is built on Chase’s former plantation. The bodies of the family cemetery are still buried under the runway.  The navy simply moved the headstones of his family to the old Fort Pickens.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Nevada became a state during the war.   The flag bears the motto, Battle Born.  However, Nevada didn't have the population to qualify for statehood but nobody cared.

The secesssion of West Virginia from Virginia was illegal.  The Virginia state legislature in Richmond was supposed to ratify it but never did. The Union didn't care though.

The first American marksmanship manuals were based on British and French marksmanship manuals.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
An excerpt from A Patriots History of the United States:

At about that time, Lincoln received welcome news that Admiral David Farragut had broken through powerful forts to capture Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. Threatened by Confederate "torpedoes" (in reality, mines), Farragut exhorted his sailors with the famous phrase, "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead."
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my ancestors shot and killed the first Union soldier to die.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Maryland was the only Southern state that didn't lose the war.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol you still feeling like  the right people won?

you sound like a democrat talking about  everyone on the right after Jan 6th
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
There was only one battle of the civil war fought in Iowa, over the Des Moines river, with the rebs from Missourah.

https://www.iowapbs.org/iowapathways/artifact/civil-war-battle-iowa

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
An excerpt from A Patriots History of the United States:

At about that time, Lincoln received welcome news that Admiral David Farragut had broken through powerful forts to capture Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. Threatened by Confederate "torpedoes" (in reality, mines), Farragut exhorted his sailors with the famous phrase, "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead."
View Quote

Even since 1863, Farragut, the captor of New Orleans in 1862, had been wanting to leave Louisiana and go capture Mobile.  Glory awaited him (as he saw it). However, the opening of the Mississippi took priority and the Navy Dept. told him to stay put.  His squadron though was hardly suitable for riverine operations as they were all deep draught ocean going vessels.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why don't you suck it.

The names of military post have history with everyone who served on them. Benning for example is a place I often visit because of the men who came before me. I doubt you will understand this.

View Quote

Don’t be a chump. I assume we have both been to Benning a few times. Does not change the fact that military officers should not betray their country or oath. Won’t claim to know every detail about every traitor. I’m just saying don’t name military bases after them... and if they are not traitors they are losers. And if you don’t consider them losers then they are foreigners (confederate). Don’t name bases after them either.

We can have an honest conversation elsewhere once you apologize.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Battle of Gettysburg: why J.E.B. Stuart ends up in Carlisle

I’ve always enjoyed this presentation...if you have the time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Adelbert Ames was the last general to die. He died in 1933. He received the Medal of Honor for bravery at First Manassas, and then lived another 72 years. He was also a general in the Spanish-American War, a US Senator, governor of Mississippi, and the great-grandfather of George Plimpton. He was apparently not the namesake of Ames, Iowa.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
The North fought and died to end slavery and today they are still considered racist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I now understand your username.  

Congrats on the surgery, ma’am.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
That so many guys from the South gave up their peaceful lives to go fight. With the communications of the day, how the hell did they even organize.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Most native Americans sided with the south.

Out west, native Americans comprised entire military units.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#38]
To this day most Texans are still kind of pissed at the father of Texas, Sam Houston, because he did not support secession or the confederacy.   He didn't care about slavery but he had just spent several years fighting very hard to get into the Union, he had zero interest in just giving that all up.
Even in the city named after; him you can't find a single statue that honors Sam Houston, in the city of Houston.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#39]
God Bless General Sherman!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I now understand your username.  

Congrats on the surgery, ma’am.
View Quote

So strong. So powerful. Wow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#41]
In this thread, we learn who attended public schools.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#42]
General Hooker = Hookers
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Major William Chase built Fort Pickens and Fort McRee and Ft Barrancas in Pensacola.  He retired from the US Army and was given a Colonel commission by Governor of Florida.  He was ordered to take the very forts he built.   He was able to secure Ft Barrancas but wasn’t able to stop the federal troops from taking Fort Pickens. He demanded surrender of the fort on three occasions.  He was denied three times.  The last time, the federal commander (Lt Slemmer) ordered should he return he would be thrown into irons in the fort.  Knowing how well the forts were built, Colonel Chase resigned from the militia.  NAS Pensacola airfield is built on Chase’s former plantation. The bodies of the family cemetery are still buried under the runway.  The navy simply moved the headstones of his family to the old Fort Pickens.
View Quote

I got to visit Fort Pickens on a work trip just before COVID. What a cool place.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't be a chump. I assume we have both been to Benning a few times. Does not change the fact that military officers should not betray their country or oath. Won't claim to know every detail about every traitor. I'm just saying don't name military bases after them... and if they are not traitors they are losers. And if you don't consider them losers then they are foreigners (confederate). Don't name bases after them either.

We can have an honest conversation elsewhere once you apologize.
View Quote
Holy shit. Click.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
God Bless General Sherman!
View Quote

Porter almost scuttled his ironclad squadron but was saved by Sherman's timely arrival.  Had Porter scuttled the squadron, Grant could not have crossed the Mississippi and landed south of Vicksburg.

Porter was desperate and a black man offered to be his human telegraph.  He carried Porter's message to Sherman who rushed his column ahead to save Porter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That so many guys from the South gave up their peaceful lives to go fight. With the communications of the day, how the hell did they even organize.
View Quote

By family and town and county.  They were remarkably well connected and yes even educated.  Early war diaries are full of colorful info of camp life and sentiment.  

Also the south had mandatory conscription for confederate army and militias were bonus.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
In their MWR facilities the TVs only had three channels.   ABC, CBS and NBC.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Confederate Whitworth armed sharpshooters nailed Union soldiers twice at over 1325 yards distance (Fort Sumter to Morris Island)
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I got to visit Fort Pickens on a work trip just before COVID. What a cool place.

https://i.imgur.com/Di1vzwL_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

View Quote

Indeed. Barrancas is even better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Colonel Hiram Berdan of Berdan's 1st & 2nd United States Sharp Shooters was never commissioned a colonel.  He was defacto colonel, received the pay but never had that piece of paper.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top