Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/22/2021 10:16:16 PM EDT
I had a similar thread about WW2 and it extended longer than Lee's wagon train to Gettysburg.  Let's hear them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Lincoln's plan after emancipating slaves and winning the war was to deport them all to Africa.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sherman was right
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Both sides had an air force consisting of hot air balloons.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The South lost still
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Robert E. Lee lead a detachment of US Marines against John Brown. John Brown’s trial was the first for Treason in the United States and was also the first trial to gain national attention due to the Telegraph.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The one that we have already fought or the one that is upcoming?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The north started it.

The south just wanted states to have their own power.

Lincoln was indifferent toward slavery.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You did not want to be in the Confederate Submarine Service.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Although the Union won the Civil War against the slaveholding Confederacy, blacks in the 21st Century expect the Union to pay reparations for their ancestors' slavery.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Confederate submarine is still around so at least it was a well built deathtrap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The next civil war is gonna make the last civil war look like an episode of Mr Rogers Neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg, we’d be paying our taxes to Richmond.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The north started it.

The south just wanted states to have their own power.

Lincoln was indifferent toward slavery.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
During a dark, bloody time in America, someone thought a tasty steak sauce was needed. A1 became commercially distributed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The good guys lost.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Infection & infectious disease killed more on both sides than actual battle, giving rise to the NIH & Team Fauci.

All hail, typhoid, Salmonella, wound infection, dysentery & malaria!!!

Long live Faucian antisepsis!

Masks, all around!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Prior to the Civil War, Mississippi was the richest state in the United States.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
During a dark, bloody time in America, someone thought a tasty steak sauce was needed. A1 became commercially distributed.
View Quote

A1 sauce is from England...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Confederate submarine is still around so at least it was a well built deathtrap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The third crew (after it had been sunk and salvaged twice) must have been some brave souls.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
The Civil War was going to start with the name “Pickens” no matter what.  Fort Sumter and Fort Pickens were in federal possession.  Fort Pickens was named for the Revolutionary war hero Andrew Pickens.  Lincoln forced a reinforcement of both forts and the South Carolina Governor ordered Gen PGT Beauregard to open fire and take the fort.  It could have very well occurred in Pensacola at Fort Pickens.  The South Carolina governors name? Francis Pickens.  The grandson of the Fort Pickens namesake.  

Fort Pickens remained in federal control through out the entire war.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Prior to the Civil War, Mississippi was the richest state in the United States.
View Quote

I was going to post this.

They are probably going to burn all the old mansions down with the way the country is headed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Slavery was not the root cause. The merrel tarrif was.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The Civil War (aka The War of Northern Aggression) was the first war in recorded history to use mechanized transport - the railroads. Multiple companies, and even an entire battalion, could be moved hundreds of miles overnight. This mobility radically changed strategy, and profoundly affected the outcome of the war.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The USS Monitor was the first American ship to have an sub-surface toilet.   Normally crew members hung their azz over the side to relieve themselves.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg, we’d be paying our taxes to Richmond.

View Quote

Not really.  He would have run into union Corps marching up to Gettysburg.  The flank was not as open as he believed it was.  

Lincoln threatened to trow the SCOTUS in jail when they ruled against him.  Lincoln imprisoned people who were vocal in their support of the South.  No person was ever imprisoned for such activity in the south.

The CSA would have failed of it's own accord.  Many governor purposely withheld supplies and troops from the ANV when it needed them most.  They were as much as war againstitself as it was the north.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Female nurses were paid $.40 per day plus rations and transportation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The South was so desperate for lead to make bullets due to blockades that in some cities and towns they stripped houses of any lead sheathing or plumbing, and dug up lead sewer pipes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A1 sauce is from England...
View Quote

UH, NO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Wilmer McLean was mad that the first civil war battle started on his farm in Manassas,  so he moved to Appomattox to get away from the war. It ended on his farm, too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lincoln's plan after emancipating slaves and winning the war was to deport them all to Africa.
View Quote

That absolutely would have been the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL no.   The South's objective was not to conquer the North. It only wanted independence for itself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I had family who was fighting for the Union and to free enslaved Africans.  Somebody owes me reparations for my families sacrifice.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]
It basically negated the previous 20 years of settler expansion into the Plains Indians territories out west
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The South was so desperate for lead to make bullets due to blockades that in some cities and towns they stripped houses of any lead sheathing or plumbing, and dug up lead sewer pipes.
View Quote

Confederate soldiers were paid to pick up spent minie balls.  Not that the pay was much but it was needed for recasting as fresh minie balls.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had family who was fighting for the Union and to free enslaved Africans.  Somebody owes me reparations for my families sacrifice.

kwg
View Quote

You would think after watching post WW1 Germany people would think better of forcing people to pay reparations for losing a war.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#37]
The only 2 people that was hanged for war crimes was the commander of Andersonville, and TN soldier named Champ Ferguson.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Had Stonewall not died the good guys might have won
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You would think after watching post WW1 Germany people would think better of forcing people to pay reparations for losing a war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kwg

It's so nuts. At least the French and British had legitimate grievances. Lincoln didn't want pour salt in the wound after the war by seeking retribution, but then a Democrat assassinated him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Diversity is and old, old wooden ship used in the Civil War
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Infection & infectious disease killed more on both sides than actual battle, giving rise to the NIH & Team Fauci.

All hail, typhoid, Salmonella, wound infection, dysentery & malaria!!!

Long live Faucian antisepsis!

Masks, all around!
View Quote

And on a related note, one of the leading causes of death in the United States throughout the 19th Century and well into the early 20th was infection from tooth decay spreading to the brain.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#43]
No facts but I do own the last bed and nightstand Gen. Polk slept on the night before he was cut in two by Union arty. Pretty good story with it too. I have a long family history in GA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#44]
While both sides had black troops. The north only paid free blacks a fraction of whites' salary. The south paid freed blacks at parity.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#45]
General Henry Hopkins Sibley who led the ill fated expedition to capture Fort Union in New Mexico greatest achievement was post-war when he was memorialized in the Sergio Leone movie, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.  "Sibley, he looks dead."  Grant was still a nobody in 1862 and hardly known (except to West Point graduates) and Lee was also still a nobody.  Lee didn't even command the Army of Northern Virginia yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
What did Faulkner say? Something like you never get over history.

"The past is never dead. It's not even past."

-William Faulkner
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#47]
The Confederates are traitors and losers... and there should not be military bases named after them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kwg

I agree.  But, some folks in congress think we owe all black Americans reparations for having their ancestors sent here against their will so why not pay me for having my ancestors free them ??  I guess it would be a wash.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While both sides had black troops. The north only paid free blacks a fraction of whites' salary. The south paid freed blacks at parity.
View Quote

Yeah, but Confederate monthly $11 wasn't worth sh*t in 1865.  It wouldn't even buy you a breakfast.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No facts but I do own the last bed and nightstand Gen. Polk slept on the night before he was cut in two by Union arty. Pretty good story with it too. I have a long family history in GA.
View Quote

And you think you can just tell us that without posting pictures?! C'mon man!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top