Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2024 9:12:20 AM EDT
It's a small price to pay   and it's paying off big time.

With homeownership being far out of reach for most millennials and Gen Zs due to inflated asking prices, astronomical interest rates and crushing student loan debts, twenty- and thirty-somethings are getting creative about buying abodes.

So, rather than scrimping and saving their last pennies in the hopes of one day purchasing a brick and mortar mini mansion, money-savvy young adults are turning to an online retail giant for tiny pre-fab pads.

"Bitch, I just bought a house on Amazon," raved lifestyle content creator Jeffrey Bryant, 23, from Los Angeles, Calif., to a TikTok audience of over 8.6 million stunned viewers. "I didn't even think twice about it."

But Bryant, who scored the 16.5-by-20-foot shelter for just over $26,000 late last week, tells The Post that he bought the fold-out flat using money he recently inherited from his late grandfather's estate.

The cutesy crib which comes complete with a dedicated kitchenette, living room, bedroom and bathroom   with a pre-installed toilet and shower.

"I saw this YouTuber unboxing his Amazon home," said Bryant, "and I ran to the website to get one, too."

moar
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't be a terrible hunting cabin for a night or two.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Buys a house off Amazon without land or a permit to open an Air B&B to help homeless people?  Sounds like this kid has it all figured out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like how the whole article  generalizes ~140 million people off one dude on TikTok and and a couple who live in a van down by the river.

I saw the TikTok and the thing looks cool will admit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
from what I understand, there's a huge untapped market for small affordable 1-2 bedroom small starter homes. Not everyone needs and can afford a 2000+ sq ft 3-4 bedroom home for $350k and up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
from what I understand, there's a huge untapped market for small affordable 1-2 bedroom small starter homes. Not everyone needs and can afford a 2000+ sq ft 3-4 bedroom home for $350k and up.
View Quote
now do stahtah tents.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 1,500 sq ft starter homes being built in my area are selling for $315k+.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
i wish i could get into a 1500 SF stahtah shitbox in western montucky for $315k.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
When doublewide are selling more than I paid for my house last two times, you know it’s bad.

Unbelievable.

Next up: 1 person incubators are the perfect choice

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I love how many people have 19-25 locked in their brains as being Millennials.  The oldest Millennials are in their 40s now, and many have been homeowners for quite a while.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My county doesn’t allow 1500 sqft homes to be built anymore.  They have minimum square footage requirements.  A friend ran into that when he wanted to buy some acreage and build a barndominium.  If you want a smaller house, you have to buy an old one, most of which are in mediocre to bad neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a millennial and am a homeowner, have been for years.  My entire circle of millennial friends own a home, too.  Maybe don't be a shit bag?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial and am a homeowner, have been for years.  My entire circle of millennial friends own a home, too.  Maybe don't be a shit bag?
View Quote

I’m not sure who is affording these average houses for $450k homes around me, but it ain’t millennials.

That’s about the price for a house that used to cost $150,000 just a decade ago.

Sure, if you want to be in debt up your ass I guess it is affordable.

If you didn’t have equity in your home or a sizable down payment, and if you’re 25 to 30 now, you’re fucked with your $60,000 job,

You need two six digit earners in the household to be in middle class at these prices if you have children.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't Amazon going to start building "company towns" for it's employee's?

We're just reliving the beginning of the 20th century all over again.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

We talk about that all the time. We live in a big old farm house and really only use 3 rooms
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If one is ever bored, google average home size for the rest of the World. We live in some big homes... Surprisingly, so do Australians and Austrians. But, we are typically double or more the sq' as other places.

I doubt that container actually showed up in a cardboard box, you can see where they sharpied the AMZ logo. My GF has been doodling reduced sized homes, she's gotten creative with storage under the floors and what not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Good for them. But what you can afford, either way you’re not throwing rent money away. Smaller house also means less bullshit you don’t need. Kind of appealing given the amount of crap we have around here. Not feasible with 3 kids though
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first house was a 700 sq foot two bedroom.  But nobody is building new ones.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Been looking for something like this to use when the family comes over. Pretty cool for the price. Those walls look thin as fuck though, gotta be a bitch keeping that thing at the right temp.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That 3 bedroom 2000+sqft home that was $325-350k 4 or 5 years ago now costs $575k-$650k
A 2 bedroom shitshack of a townhouse is now $350k

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Precious generations just admitted defeat and bought a shitty trailer. Gen z is so hip they buy “tiny houses” pretty funny
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m not sure who is affording these average houses for $450k homes around me, but it ain’t millennials.

That’s about the price for a house that used to cost $150,000 just a decade ago.

If you didn’t have equity in your home or a sizable down payment, and if you’re 25 to 30 now, you’re fucked with your $60,000 job,

You need two six digit earners in the household to be in middle class at these prices if you have children.
View Quote

Houses around us are in the $300-$300k range.  My entire block are younger families, parents maybe between 30-45 which is where my wife and I fall, too.  We have a daughter and are not in debt up to our ass.  We rented for years, sacrificed, and saved to put down a large down payment.  It's doable considering it looks like a lot of other people my age have figured it out too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Houses around us are in the $300-$300k range.  My entire block are younger families, parents maybe between 30-45 which is where my wife and I fall, too.  We have a daughter and are not in debt up to our ass.  We rented for years, sacrificed, and saved to put down a large down payment.  It's doable considering it looks like a lot of other people my age have figured it out too.
View Quote

You live in Illinois. LoL

Rent is also as much as a mortgage. You’re not saving shit. That’s money you could be putting towards a mortgage. If you can’t afford a mortgage you can’t afford rent.

And I’m not talking about being single and renting a room.

My point is that it’s much more difficult to own and buy a house than when I bought mine in 2006.

I make well over 100k a year, without debt, (own all cars free and clear) and I would have a difficult time buying an affordable home today for my family. Unless it’s a ghetto goblin area or a hillbilly paradise in middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gen Z here building a 450k house

BOOTSTRAPSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

BOOTSTRAPSSSSSSSSS
View Quote

Good for you. I made smart decisions and sacrificed as well working over 12 hours a day in my 20s for 10 years to get where I am. I get it.

But we grew up in better times than the current generation.

I feel bad for my son who does NOT have the same freedoms and opportunities that I did.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Shit those look pretty nice for the price....
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good for you. I made smart decisions and sacrificed as well working over 12 hours a day in my 20s for 10 years to get where I am. I get it.

I feel bad for my son who does NOT have the same freedoms and opportunities that I did.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOTSTRAPSSSSSSSSS

Agreed, I’m working 12 hour days in my 20s now, probably won’t have my first child until I’m 30. Wife and I work our asses off daily to say the least
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Good for them but it seems like getting a piece of land to put it on will still be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Yall want to create an Arfcom Blackrock, group buy all of these, and rent them out to gen z?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shit those look pretty nice for the price....
View Quote

They are nice

You just have to live in the right state or area to be able to use it as a home .

I know in CT there is no where in the state you would be allowed to buy land and use it  because the towns consider it a mobile home.

No more mobile homes are allowed in CT . In Maine most places there are no building restrictions unless you are buying in some established neighborhood
where the town requires only stick built  .  About 90 % of Maine  you would be able to use this on a piece of land you buy
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re not lying.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My first house was a 700 sq foot two bedroom.  But nobody is building new ones.
View Quote

Of course not. Due to subdivision rules, permits, engineering requirements proffers and every other govt cost just the lot costs  50-100k before you even start.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

My and my wife's first home was a 1300 sq ft new construction DR Horton home that we bought in 1998 for $107k.  The local appraisal district says it is now worth $418k.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is the median household income?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Would make a nice hunting cabin, but old bumper pull campers are cheaper and easier.

Just where are they going to put it? The half acre lot down the street from me is selling for 177k.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Would make a nice hunting cabin, but old bumper pull campers are cheaper and easier.

Just where are they going to put it? The half acre lot down the street from me is selling for 177k.
View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most local building codes will not allow those types of small homes to be built anymore. Before I bought my new 3/2 house I had been renting a 1BR/1BA that was around 1000 square feet. It was built in the 60’s, and the county wouldn’t approve the plans today if you were going to build it new.

ETA - My county also would not approve a “tiny home” because it would fall under mobile home rules and they have a minimum standard for those as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I fully support people building smaller 1 and 2 bedrooms homes. But to those complaining they cost too much. The well, septic and power to a building lot costs about the same for a 1000 sq ft house as it does for a 5000 sq ft house. The only difference is the septic might have a large leach field for the 5k one.

So if your stuck paying say $30k for all of the above, even for a 1k sq ft house, why not spend another $50k and make it 2k sq ft.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My neighborhood was built through 2000-2005ish.  All the less than 2k sqft homes are all priced well above $300k when they sell.

If I look farther out around me you might find something for close to $250k.  You are going to be hard pressed to find something cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#42]
And people are excited about this dystopian rat cage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#43]
The sears homes are back?

*edit* nvm just shitty trailers. lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Interest rates are not "astronomical".
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Interest rates are not "astronomical".
View Quote

Not when considering the 70s/80s.  If you are looking back at the last 10yrs and now seeing them more than double, then yes - they are absolutely high.  I wouldn't call them astronomical.

Plenty of people are "hppy-ish" with ammo prices having come down from where they were.  But 15yrs ago 9mm was significantly less than $10 a box in big box stores.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You live in Illinois. LoL

Rent is also as much as a mortgage. You’re not saving shit. That’s money you could be putting towards a mortgage. If you can’t afford a mortgage you can’t afford rent.

And I’m not talking about being single and renting a room.

My point is that it’s much more difficult to own and buy a house than when I bought mine in 2006.

I make well over 100k a year, without debt, (own all cars free and clear) and I would have a difficult time buying an affordable home today for my family. Unless it’s a ghetto goblin area or a hillbilly paradise in middle of nowhere.
View Quote

That is not entirely accurate these days.  In a number of areas, rent is significantly less than what the payment would be on a house at current interest rates.  I suspect rent is being held down a bit because landlords locked in mortgages at 2-3%, and because their property taxes take a few years to catch up to skyrocketing assessments.  Over the next few years rent will probably climb but today in a number of markets renting is significantly less expensive.  Probably so much less expensive that the delta of a few hundred bucks a month more than equals the equity you'd build in the first few years of a note.  As I did the math the break even point to just build enough equity to cover your closing costs at current interest rates if you buy is about 7 years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wasn't Amazon going to start building "company towns" for it's employee's?

We're just reliving the beginning of the 20th century all over again.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SvguZ76JOwQ/XF5_P_hnaEI/AAAAAAADb4U/dF7RFNm-F389va5Ie89G5gnZJjUN7iZwwCLcBGAs/s1600/sears-catalog-homes-34.jpg
View Quote

Pretty much so.  People would shit a brick seeing sears home a hundred years ago.

Why can people do this now?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Bolt two of them together and you would have something pretty decent for $52k plus property cost.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been looking at things like this for a little while now, as a pool house/guest house.

What they don't tell you is that for $30k you're getting a shell. I didn't watch the video, but most of them you need to fill out the flooring, drywall, insulation, foundation, electrical/appliances, plumbing. There are places that will sell turn key tiny houses, they usually start more like $100-120k. Still cheaper, but no one is getting an actual home for $30k.

Now, you could do a lot yourself to save money, but the work still needs to be done by someone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top