Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to thank you for your years of service and dedication to preserving firearm history. And I sorry you have to experience the disregard for that hard work, but this is exactly how I would expect the NRA of this day and age to behave. Like just about every other institution we had regarded at noble, they have become comprised and corrupt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Historic Rock Ford in Lancaster. "Long Rifles of the American Revolution." June 1 to Oct. 30, 2022.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So they fought for the museum the same way they fight for the 2A?
View Quote

Ooooof.

Should have been FPNI.

I am going to continue to advocate/fantasize about the GOA buying the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The NRA is dead….just certain people do t realize it yet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I visited the NRA museum a few years ago, I thought it was great.  It’s a shame to see it go downhill.  
The USMC museum a few miles south in Quantico is excellent, definitely worth a visit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Historic Rock Ford in Lancaster. "Long Rifles of the American Revolution." June 1 to Oct. 30, 2022.
View Quote

Thanks.  I wasn't aware that Col. Edward Hand's house was still in existence.  As you know (but other members here don't), Hand commanded the First Pennsylvania Rifle Regiment in the American Revolution.  It was the very first rifle unit raised in that war.  Unfortunately, it's term of enlistment was very short and thereafter Morgan's Rifles was raised.  After being captured after the failed attempt to capture Quebec, Morgan (along with Benedict Arnold) went on to win fame at Freeman's Farm.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
(hint: buy a membership)

rongorongo
View Quote

mark of true genius level advice.  Pay for something you can get for free so you can access content which makes no difference in your life.

get right on that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I wasn't aware that Col. Edward Hand's house was still in existence.  As you know (but other members here don't), Hand commanded the First Pennsylvania Rifle Regiment in the American Revolution.  It was the very first rifle unit raised in that war.  Unfortunately, it's term of enlistment was very short and thereafter Morgan's Rifles was raised.  After being captured after the failed attempt to capture Quebec, Morgan (along with Benedict Arnold) went on to win fame at Freeman's Farm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had a previous exhibit a few years back on Lancaster rifles in general that produced a nice book. I didn't see it in person, though I have the book. I will definitely get up there for this one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, I'm 99% sure I talked to you in person at the museum nearly 20 years ago.

I was there with my gun club for the day.  I was looking at some Colt pistols trying to identify an old gun my grandfather handed down.  A guy identified himself as the curator and asked me a few questions about it. He/You told me to contact Colt's archives department and get the official letter from them.   That was great advice as it had all the info I could possibly want from them.  

The firearm is a factory engraved 1903 .32ACP
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Sadly not surprising from the NRA
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Willes Lee….haven’t heard that name in a while and remembered him being a Fudd
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
So disappointing.  I had planned to take some time off today to visit.  I'll wait for the weekend...with lowered expectations.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Given the current state of the NRA, I wouldn't be surprised if the collection is being sold or used as collateral.  Wayne is like Bill Clinton in his ability to survive scandal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for making the museum excellent while under your care. I'm sure a lot of missing guns will end up in private hands after a while. Things will get worse before they get better.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Willis lee is pretty much an asshole, so….
View Quote

I agree, every time the NRA calls I tell them him and Wayne are why I don’t donate. They don’t care but don’t really argue either
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I am SHOCKED to hear the NRA museum is a house of cards, just like the rest of the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I forwarded this thread over to an NRA blog who picked it up, trying to spread the word.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/blog/
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They should sell the entire collection off . And then use they money to fund pro 2a activities till they run out of money and then fold like the paper box they are
View Quote
They will as soon as they figure out how to pocket the proceeds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
And you can even see an "Exhibit Temporarily Removed" sign in one of the images.
There are many others...

rongorongo
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were selling off items to their board and execs at bottom dollar prices for their own collections.
View Quote

Im not convinced NRA execs have any genuine interest in guns
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I hear Wayne has quite the wardrobe.  A real cloths horse.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Imagine the clothing collection of Susan LaPierre. I'm sure a good deal of NRA money went to buy her clothing so she could look good for "NRA events".
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I was there about 4 years ago. I used the range all of the time. The museum was pretty cool and had a lot of neat guns. Its sad to hear it has so deteriorated due to poor management.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn.  Preach on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

mark of true genius level advice.  Pay for something you can get for free so you can access content which makes no difference in your life.

get right on that.
View Quote
....and you learned this in just a year?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's sad, but the NRA needs to die and be replaced in its entirety.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#31]
The NRA is crap and has been for years.  Corrupt, inept and a get rich scheme for Wayne and his buddies.  Get smart and get on board with a real gun rights organization actually in our corner.  Gun Owners of America.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]

What a douche, I hate Willes Lee
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
+10,000.

The nra probably pawned the missing firearms hoping to pay wlp's next million.dollar paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The problem with openly corrupt leadership is it tends to cascade down to every aspect of the organization and the psyche of the entire workforce.

The NRA is a nice case study on why institutionalized protection of the leadership such that they cannot be replaced, ends badly.

I have written off the NRA as a corrupt and ineffectual organization of negative value.  I pay my bare minimum REQUIRED NRA membership to continue participation in numerous competitive sports and range memberships, and am well aware it's a graft extortion that is the cost of doing business.

The sooner the NRA collapses, the sooner they can be replaced by an ethical and effective replacement.  It can't happen fast enough.

As to the priceless artifacts of the museum,  I am just assuming they are being stolen by the NRA leadership, until I hear otherwise.  There is no " benefit of the doubt", left to give.
View Quote

+100,000
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]
That's a damned shame to hear about. I was part of the original renovation and construction of that building back when the NRA first bought it. I spent almost two years putting the access control and alarm system in and have crawled all through the place.

I remember walking through the basement vaults when they first brought the weapons in and standing slack jawed at the table upon table with historic firearms laid out on them. Hours of labor went into each cabinet. Miles of cable pulled through the ceilings and garage. The feeling of accomplishment when we finished the range.

What a shame it has become. I was planning to take the family there this Summer. May need to rethink that idea now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Bump to let folks know situation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#37]
The missing firearms probably belonged to people who have passed on and the nra decided to repurpose those firearms for personal reasons such as retirement.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#38]
sad thinking how many WW2 guys left the NRA cash and collections....only for their grandkids to figure out it turned into organized crime.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#39]
The missing guns are probably in a curio cabinet in Moscow with Putin’s Super Bowl ring and the reset button

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#40]
If you're traveling elsewhere in Virginia, the large firearms collection in the VMI museum in Lexington is good and the man responsible for it is solid.

I do worry about that collection's future as well, given the changing leadership efforts and values there though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, did you get your guns back that were on display, IIRC?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#42]
So they treat the guns in their museum the same way they treat our gun rights.

Very telling.

I've always wanted to go to their museum, but it seems like a fools errand now.

What a mess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#43]
So they treat the guns in their museum the same way they treat our gun rights.

Very telling.

I've always wanted to go to their museum, but it seems like a fools errand now.

What a mess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have an interest in money
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The missing guns are probably in a curio cabinet in Moscow with Putin’s Super Bowl ring and the reset button

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/76445EC2-714E-4D18-BBCF-E6BF20002093_jpe-2378613.JPG

View Quote

What does a picture of Arfcom's owner have to do with this?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#46]
OP, did you get your guns back that were on display, IIRC?

@backbencher  I had both guns and artifacts on loan to the museum.  Guns were returned (which was good as my next call would have been to the ATF and NRA would have loved that confrontation, which would have opened up their FFL logbooks to closer scrutiny) but other non-firearm material, despite being in locked display cases and in the alarmed museum conservation laboratory - went "missing."

What irritated me the most was that much of this material was associated with the American Civil War and the single individual responsible for the collection (and even who received my keys from NRA Security when I retired) also had a strong interest in this kind of thing. There's a Latin saying "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - who will guard the guards?

Best thing was that the items were well documented on formal loan contracts.  The values were low, but still it took three months calling and e-mailing to finally get a check cut by NRA for the missing pieces.  Bear in mind both the Registrar and I had offered to come in and assist in looking for these items, but we were denied.

Those that may remember my story recall that originally I was not going to be allowed to come into to pick up my office belongings and was asked to provide a list of what was there. After a year and a half of furlough - how many could list each and every book from a personal collection in their office? Bear in mind these personal references were brought in because the NRA provided limited funding to the museum and the museum library did not have these references on the shelves.

rongorongo
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cringe every time I think of the $ I forked over for lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for you.   I am very sorry for all those that gave, only to see that basically they were played.  Intersting I've seen more denial, than anger.  I was expecting much more of the later.  Personally, I'd be f'ing furious, and jaded.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]
This information saddens me an makes me reget the life memberships the wife and I have. FWLP!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you're traveling elsewhere in Virginia, the large firearms collection in the VMI museum in Lexington is good and the man responsible for it is solid.

I do worry about that collection's future as well, given the changing leadership efforts and values there though.
View Quote

The best museum in Virginia is at the CIA's "farm" in Williamsburg. I "almost" got in. Almost. (ETA: I should say "best museum, so I've heard....")

Probably the best one I've ever been in, as far as modern guns goes, was Reed Knight's gun room in Vero Beach. Since it was moved to Titusville and enlarged, I suppose its better, but haven't gotten to see it.

The museum of the american revolution has some great guns in its collection. I'd love to go, if I could stomach going to Philadelphia.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top