Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2018 5:43:13 PM EDT
Today, NRA A- Rated Republican Governor Larry Hogan signed the following gun control bills:
Link to news article

First up, HB 1302 Delegate Valentino-Smith, et al Public Safety – Extreme Risk Protective Orders (RED FLAG BILL) LINK TO BILL

Next bill up:

SB 707 Senator Ramirez, et al Criminal Law  Firearm Crimes  Rapid Fire Trigger Activator (BUMP STOCK BAN) LINK TO BILL

Unlike @Miami_JBT in Florida, it's not a total nuclear strike, but has some screwy bits:

THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THE POSSESSION OF A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR BY A PERSON WHO:

(1) POSSESSED THE RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018;

(2) APPLIED TO THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018, FOR AUTHORIZATION TO POSSESS A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR; AND

(3) IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR POSSESSION OF A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR.
View Quote
ATF doesn't issue Authorization letters to possess bumpstocks; so it's a clever way of phrasing a ban, but implying that it's "grandfathered" so as not to make the peasants angry.

---------OTHER GUN STUFF IN MD---------------

Basically, Maryland is a "maybe issue" state for CCW, with Maryland State Police denying or approving CCW permits.

Recently the antis have gotten themselves into a tizzy because the Handgun Permit Review Board has been overrulling MSP enough to make them upset.

They tried to eliminate the Handgun Permit Review Board with the first few versions of HB 819; but it apparently was watered down significantly to keeping the existing structure of HPRB, changing the final appeals process and forcing the HPRB to issue a statistical report of what they do each year (Appeals reviewed, appeals sustained and overruling MSP's decision, etc).

HB 819 Delegate Atterbeary, et al Public Safety  Handgun Permit Review Board  Appeals LINK TO BILL

There's also this:

HB 1646 Delegate Atterbeary, et al Criminal Procedure - Firearms - Transfer

LINK TO BILL

It appears to be a "take the guns" bill -- it cleverly only says convicted of a DISQUALIFYING CRIME -- but in Maryland a DISQUALIFYING CRIME is also:

Maryland prohibits persons convicted of any "disqualifying crime," which includes any crime of
violence, felony, or "any violation classified as a misdemeanor in the State that carries a statutory penalty of more than 2 years," from possessing a "regulated firearm."

So if a misdemeanor has a statutory penalty of 2> years imprisonment on the books, it makes you a prohibited person in MD for rifles, pistols and shotguns.

In Closing:

UPDATE: 4-27-2018.

Courtesy of Maswasnos on MD Shooters:

After reading through the bill here I figured I'd send the ATF an email at [email protected] to see if they could give me some kind of "authorization" so I don't become a felon in 2019.

The text of my email was as follows:

Hello,

I recently came into possession of a Fostech brand Echo trigger for an AR-15 rifle. Given the capabilities of such a trigger, I feel the need to ask the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives if I am authorized to be in possession of and to use such a device. I am not barred from owning firearms and I have filled out two form 4473's over the past month, receiving approval from NICS to purchase both a handgun and a rifle. I was unable to find any application forms on www.ATF.gov relevant to this specific device, so directly inquiring via email seemed the best option. I am aware that the laws regarding these devices are in a constant state of change, and I would like to do everything I can to be in compliance.

Thank you very much, [my real name]

And the response I received shortly afterwards:

The item listed in your question is not regulated by ATF. Your question appears to be related to the recently signed statute that restricts possession in Maryland of “rapid fire trigger activators,” defined as any device, including a bump stock, that increases a firearm’s rate of fire, or the rate at which the trigger is activated. The statute specifically prohibits any person from transporting a rapid-fire trigger activator into Maryland, or manufacturing, possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a rapid-fire trigger activator in the State. The statute also contains a provision that purports to allow Maryland residents already in possession of a device covered by the law to continue to possess that device in Maryland if they file an application for “authorization” to possess the device with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) before October 1, 2018.

Maryland residents who intend to file applications with ATF for “authorization” to possess devices covered by the referenced Maryland statute should be aware that ATF is without legal authority to accept and process such an application. Consequently, ATF respectfully requests that Maryland residents not file applications or other requests for “authorization” from ATF to possess rapid fire trigger activators as defined in the State statute. Any such applications or requests will be returned to the applicant without action. ATF regrets any confusion and inconvenience caused by the provisions of the Maryland statute that mistakenly indicate ATF has the authority to approve possession of devices covered by the statute.

Regards,

Kyle Lallensack
Chief, FIPB
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
He wanted the A+
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting harder to tell who our friends are..............
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think we have ANY. I fear once the next Nevada legislature session starts, Nevadan gun owners are fucked.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeti must be behind this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Folks are NOT as smart as 10,20 years ago. Easier to tell them lies and pull the wool over their eyes. Folks embrace their "Stockholm Syndrome" mentality.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
FNRA

I still say they lied about Yeti
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think we have ANY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think we have ANY.
This.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
From now on whenever they ask for money I'm going to tell them "a donation in your name has been made to the Virginia Citizens Defense League". If they won't protect my rights I'll give my support to a group who will.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the club. Florida governor Rick Scott did the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck Maryland and everyone who lives there

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think we have ANY. I fear once the next Nevada legislature session starts, Nevadan gun owners are fucked.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great....

Mrs. Miami_JBT might get a job in Vegas What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like no GOP politician is "afraid" of the NRA anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is there to fear in doing exactly what the NRA has called for?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
And that is why this entire fucking mess.... ALL OF IT... lies directly at their feet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The NRA has us over a barrel. If we don't support them we get far worse gun laws. If we do support them no Republican fears doing this stuff because they have the NRA behind them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He wanted the A+
View Quote
He’s right you know...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
2018 has proven that NRA ratings are completely worthless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont matter what party they're in, they're all sleazeballs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The shitty one is the legislature now controls the handgun permit review board instead of the governor, so instead of discrete permits during R administrations with a bit of creative writing, it is no permits during any administration.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Victory in MD for a GOP candidate is won by 1) facing a shitty D candidate,  2) running on economic issues while avoiding social issues.

The state is 60% D, 25% R, 15% undeclared and the Ds hold veto-proof majorities in both houses.

The only thing that will stop the bullshit is a Supreme Court ruling.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't wait to see what gun control the NRA calls for in 2019.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're right.

NRA A-rated GOP in FL have routinely pushed gun control.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Great....

Mrs. Miami_JBT might get a job in Vegas What do I need to know?
View Quote
Elected officials like this ass wipe....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdKk4PrXBU

and the wemenz....

http://chrisgfornevada.com/chris-gs-gun-safety-reform-commitment/

With the slow, but sure Dim onslaught finally wining over Nevada turning us BRIGHT fucking Blue, these assholes just can't wait to get started on "common sense" gun control. Fuck um, will not comply and will not leave, come take um boys and girls.
Edit:
fixed links...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The NRA has us over a barrel. If we don't support them we get far worse gun laws. If we do support them no Republican fears doing this stuff because they have the NRA behind them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much the same with the Republican Party...........

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly. The NRA stabbed gun owners in the back. Their "ratings" are worthless anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Hogan's a two-faced liberal cockfag. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been elected.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#29]
So how many Republican Governors have passed gun control?

I'm losing tract.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#30]
were you even able to own an AR that was capable of accepting a bump stock in the communist bastion of mary land?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks like they are most afraid of Moms Demand Action based on that pic in the OP.

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm losing tract.
View Quote
But is it a huge one?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#34]
While Trump shouldn't have pushed for this shit it would have been real hard for a republican president to fight against gun control even the NRA was pushing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#35]
NRA ratings are a fucking joke.. Case in point Harry Reid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But is it a huge one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm losing tract.
But is it a huge one?
Ronald Reagan
George Deukmejian
Arnold Schwarzenegger
George Pataki
Rick Scott
Phil Scott
Larry Hogan

I know there are more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#37]
"Freedom's Safest Place"

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, it's getting easier.

Politician? Not a friend.
NRA Board? Not a friend.
Media? Not a friend.
Almost Everybody Else? Not a friend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck Maryland and everyone who lives there

View Quote
The best thing to ever come out of Maryland was me, myself and Irene
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I bet he keeps his A- rating instead of getting a D or F.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#43]
The NRA did not support this red flag gvro bill in MD, I was in the room and testified along side them against it.

MD already had emergency petitions for mental health evaluations that could lead to commitment for persons that are a danger to themselves or others. This gvro bill is nothing but a harassment bill. The lead sponsors are family law attorneys that want to use these in custody amd divorce cases. They also wanted them to be petitioned by "any interested person", and were furious that provision was stripped out.

The bill is total garbage in the legal sense. Confiscation can be started witjout even going before a judge. No penalty for false petitions. And no provision for return of firearms when the order expires.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember when he was elected and there were real hopes that he’d direct MSP to issue carry permits on a shall issue basis
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Is he term limited?

Bet he keeps his "A" rating since it's the same gun control the NRA is advocating.

Remember, they need your donations to fight gun control.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Victory in MD for a GOP candidate is won by 1) facing a shitty D candidate,  2) running on economic issues while avoiding social issues.

The state is 60% D, 25% R, 15% undeclared and the Ds hold veto-proof majorities in both houses.

The only thing that will stop the bullshit is a Supreme Court ruling.

Kharn
View Quote
I'm convinced that MD is 50/50 and the extra 1/3rd making it 60 percent democrats is all fraud. Montgomery county (biggest D county in md, amd ine of the 3-4 that control the elections) has 104% of eligible voters registered. The national average is 66%. But somehow they have an extra 50% of voters registered, and it always goes D.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm convinced that MD is 50/50 and the extra 1/3rd making it 60 percent democrats is all fraud. Montgomery county (biggest D county in md, amd ine of the 3-4 that control the elections) has 104% of eligible voters registered. The national average is 66%. But somehow they have an extra 50% of voters registered, and it always goes D.
View Quote
Add in that we are the 2nd most gerrymandered state in favor of Ds and there you have it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is he term limited?

Bet he keeps his "A" rating since it's the same gun control the NRA is advocating.

Remember, they need your donations to fight gun control.
View Quote
The NRA leadership does not believe that bump stocks are part of the 2A. Thus it's not "gun control".

You want to know why they think that? It's because they also believe that most of their membership thinks that. And they're probably right.

Which is also why Trump thinks that.

Republicans have been given the green light to ban bump stocks as a means of getting gun violence groups off their backs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#49]
It doesn't say you have to have a letter of authority from ATF.  It says you only have to apply.  If I have a certified letter asking for permission to own one before the date, it seems like that would qualify.

Interesting that these devices are "worse" than LLs or RDIASs, or actual machine guns.  Gotta love Maryland.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top