Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/22/2020 2:02:51 PM EDT
Figured we'd do another Manassas hike, and wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan.

It is legal to carry there, but not in buildings, which includes the bathrooms.

We'll plan on stepping off at 1100hrs. This will be a six mile hike, with a 3 mile option for newcomers.

Recommended pack weights:
35lbs - Beginner
45lbs - Average
55lbs - Advanced

Myself, Tim_In_CO, or Ben will do deconfliction with the US Park Police.

This counts as a American Battle Buddies Challenge hike if you complete it successfully.

Hope to see some hike vets and any interested new arfcommers!

Henry Hill Visitor Center
6511 Sudley Rd, Old Town Manassas, VA 20109
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ooooh yeah.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
35lbs.  Ha.  where is the crazy eyes gif...  

Tentatively in for this one, sick as a dog for the last battlefield hike.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to do this since I missed the last two.  Putting it on the calendar now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
@JeffLewbowski
@beitodesstrafe
@Tim_in_CO
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@JeffLewbowski
@beitodesstrafe
@Tim_in_CO
View Quote
In.

I think I could make this one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@JeffLewbowski
@beitodesstrafe
@Tim_in_CO
In.

Bring good hiking boots, good socks and don't be embarrassed to take the lighter load.

The first one sucks the most.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
IN!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@JeffLewbowski
@beitodesstrafe
@Tim_in_CO
View Quote
Looked at the wrong month!  I should be good. Hopefully that same chick isn’t there who thinks I’m a creep!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
IN
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
We will do a number of awards to people who have qualified as various levels of Battle Buddy at this event, provided we can verify they have (or will through this event) complete a given qualification level.

I'd like to encourage you to bring your sons and daughters aged 16 or older, neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc.

It is time for this to grow well beyond ARFCOM.

Also- those of you who have ordered piss cutters and pins, please let me know how many of each you have for us to hand out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In.
View Quote
Quoted:
Ooooh yeah.
View Quote
Quoted:
IN!
View Quote
Will be good to see you gentlemen again.

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Figured we'd do another Manassas hike, and wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan.

We'll plan on stepping off at 1100hrs. This will be a six mile hike, with a 3 mile option for newcomers.

35lbs - Beginner
45lbs - Average
55lbs - Advanced

This counts as a American Battle Buddies Challenge hike if you complete it successfully.

View Quote
That’s my 32nd birthday. I’m in!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We will do a number of awards to people who have qualified as various levels of Battle Buddy at this event, provided we can verify they have (or will through this event) complete a given qualification level.

I'd like to encourage you to bring your sons and daughters aged 16 or older, neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc.

It is time for this to grow well beyond ARFCOM.
View Quote
Which gentleman has been graciously assisting with rifle qualifications at Fairfax Rod and Gun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I should be able to make this one. I made the one last November. Need to borrow a ruck though, but I can supply my own armor/helmet/weapons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35lbs - Beginner
45lbs - Average
55lbs - Advanced

Nice!

Will be good to meet you. I know you're further south and will be traveling for this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35lbs - Beginner
45lbs - Average
55lbs - Advanced

My birthday is that following week.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I should be able to make this one. I made the one last November. Need to borrow a ruck though, but I can supply my own armor/helmet/weapons.
View Quote
I'm sure we can get you taken care of before then brother.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which gentleman has been graciously assisting with rifle qualifications at Fairfax Rod and Gun?
View Quote
@W_E_G
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bring good hiking boots, good socks and don't be embarrassed to take the lighter load.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@JeffLewbowski
@beitodesstrafe
@Tim_in_CO
In.

I might just show up to take a walk packless. I will not feel shame.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where are you located? We should try and get you into a couple hikes before the end of of 90ndays from your first one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]
In on this one, and I promise to better control the wallet this time
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In on this one, and I promise to better control the wallet this time
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I may try to get up there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I may try to get up there.
View Quote
Cool.

I selected Manassas because it's kinda sorta central, we got a really good turn out last time, the area is more conservative learning and supportive, and there's EXCELLENT parking.

Plus, it's far out so guys can plan, and it's cool it's on a leap year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#29]
This time, someone has to get a picture from across the street of the bunch of heavily armed and kitted up folks, bunched up at the curb waiting for the "walk" signal to cross 234 like good lawful citizens.

That was my first intro to all this.  That moment stands out and makes me grin every time I think of it.  Definitely not something you see in Manassas or Gainesville very often.

Should be a pretty good amount of traffic on Sudley those times of day, would make an interesting shot and for great reactions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This time, someone has to get a picture from across the street of the bunch of heavily armed and kitted up folks, bunched up at the curb waiting for the "walk" signal to cross 234 like good lawful citizens.

That was my first intro to all this.  That moment stands out and makes me grin every time I think of it.  Definitely not something you see in Manassas or Gainesville very often.

Should be a pretty good amount of traffic on Sudley those times of day, would make an interesting shot and for great reactions.
View Quote
Been meaning to ask you, how'd you come across arfcom?

Recently you just appeared and started posting, then coming on hikes, then to the rally.

I'm not being a jerk or anything, welcome! Just don't see very many new members so active on the forum and irl
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]
honestly considering a trip down to NoVA to make this.

you guys are awesome.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Big ol' tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Hell yeah.  A ruck date that I’m off from work.  This will be my first.  A couple of questions:

1. When you calculate the weight is it a 35 pound pack in addition to rifle/gear.  Or is it a combined weight of 35 pounds?

2.  I’m a blue jeans type of guy, can someone recommend a decent pair of hiking pants?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Edit - We're going to handle this off line.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hell yeah.  A ruck date that I’m off from work.  This will be my first.  A couple of questions:

1. When you calculate the weight is it a 35 pound pack in addition to rifle/gear.  Or is it a combined weight of 35 pounds?

2.  I’m a blue jeans type of guy, can someone recommend a decent pair of hiking pants?

Thanks guys!
View Quote
That should be weight of just your pack. Water doesn't count. (Dry pack weight)

Rifle and gear are seperate.

As for pants, bring whatever. I've rucked in shorts, I've rucked in Duluth firehouse cargos no issues.

Nice hiking boots though? BIG difference
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks guys!
View Quote
Technically we do not require, though we strongly encourage, armor, helmet, chest rig, etc. The 35lbs is just the pack. If you are not carrying a rifle we ask you add ten pounds to the ruck.

I'd advise against more than a 35lbs pack if you are first time and wearing lbv/armor/helmet/etc. If you are not in good shape and experienced, you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Weight adds up. When I stepped on the scale with all my gear plus a 75lbs pack, I was well over 100lbs of gear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Edited to say nothing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Recently you just appeared and started posting, then coming on hikes, then to the rally.

I'm not being a jerk or anything, welcome! Just don't see very many new members so active on the forum and irl
View Quote
Great question.

I also know there are tons of lurkers here reading this but you haven't yet created an ARF login.  Case in point, the gentleman I drove down to the Rally.  Join Arf and join the hike.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat

No worries man, I understand completely.  I'd be skeptical of me too

Lurked for a long time.  I mean, a long time.  My wife always told me to sign up here, that I'd be reading through here so often. Never did.  NEVER had an online presence.  No facebook, twitter, never posted on any websites.

Was happy being a gray-man, doing boring day to day family/ work shit and muttering on about idiot politicians, sports, cars/trucks, guns, etc.  Never needed to be outside my bubble.

Then Virginia elected a bunch of communists.  And they proceeded to pre-file bills and continue to piss me off.  Their sheer arrogance, audacity and sneering, despicable spite towards law abiding Virginians and the inflamatory rhetoric out of Richmond was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

In real life - it's difficult to find/ start conversations around that (well, it was, anyway).  I'd read the growing discord here in the VA threads, and just decided that I was gonna say my piece too and joined.  The amount of cumulative knowledge, information availability, links, research, opinions and the actual honest to god passion and legitimate patriotism shown here brought me in.  Spent the $24 for a membership before post 1, made it official on my first "submit". Honestly, many of your posts along with several other members were inspirational to me in deciding to join here.

As things progressed, politically, I decided that I wasn't going to wait for someone else to "do something about this", so I started going to the BoS meetings.  The more things ratcheted up and the more brazen they became, the more emboldened I was to become.  It felt good. Not waiting for someone else.  I've found an affinity for harassing petty tyrants.

Instead of sitting there, pissed off, yelling at the tv, muttering to myself or bitching to my wife or my buddies about what kind of BS is this shit, WTF, somebody needs to tell these idiots what kind of trouble they're stirring up, do they not realize what can happen, that's not fair/ right, unconstitutional, etc., I decided to do something about it.  And have been doing that ever since.

Then, since I was now all about jumping into shit with both feet, when I probably shouldn't, I decided that the hiking group looked fun and it was with a bunch of good people that all posted some solid stuff.  So I did that too.  And hurt myself.  So, I decided to keep doing it, like the glutton for punishment that I am.  Just kinda found a place that I like being, around likeminded people that I respect and decided to stick around.

I can assure you I'm as real as they come.  Just late to the party is all.  Now, I'm making up for lost time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Edit - Yes, but I'll send you an IM.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Sub'd for possible participation. Work dependent/wife approval.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@WhiskersTheCat

Lurked for a long time.  I mean, a long time.  My wife always told me to sign up here, that I'd be reading through here so often. Never did.  NEVER had an online presence.  No facebook, twitter, never posted on any websites.

Was happy being a gray-man, doing boring day to day family/ work shit and muttering on about idiot politicians, sports, cars/trucks, guns, etc.  Never needed to be outside my bubble.

Then Virginia elected a bunch of communists.  And they proceeded to pre-file bills and continue to piss me off.  Their sheer arrogance, audacity and sneering, despicable spite towards law abiding Virginians and the inflamatory rhetoric out of Richmond was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

In real life - it's difficult to find/ start conversations around that (well, it was, anyway).  I'd read the growing discord here in the VA threads, and just decided that I was gonna say my piece too and joined.  The amount of cumulative knowledge, information availability, links, research, opinions and the actual honest to god passion and legitimate patriotism shown here brought me in.  Spent the $24 for a membership before post 1, made it official on my first "submit". Honestly, many of your posts along with several other members were inspirational to me in deciding to join here.

As things progressed, politically, I decided that I wasn't going to wait for someone else to "do something about this", so I started going to the BoS meetings.  The more things ratcheted up and the more brazen they became, the more emboldened I was to become.  It felt good. Not waiting for someone else.  I've found an affinity for harassing petty tyrants.

Instead of sitting there, pissed off, yelling at the tv, muttering to myself or bitching to my wife or my buddies about what kind of BS is this shit, WTF, somebody needs to tell these idiots what kind of trouble they're stirring up, do they not realize what can happen, that's not fair/ right, unconstitutional, etc., I decided to do something about it.  And have been doing that ever since.

Then, since I was now all about jumping into shit with both feet, when I probably shouldn't, I decided that the hiking group looked fun and it was with a bunch of good people that all posted some solid stuff.  So I did that too.  And hurt myself.  So, I decided to keep doing it, like the glutton for punishment that I am.  Just kinda found a place that I like being, around likeminded people that I respect and decided to stick around.

I can assure you I'm as real as they come.  Just late to the party is all.  Now, I'm making up for lost time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat

Happy to have you. It's rare we see new members so involved to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I won't make it.  We'll try to do one here in the desert in a few weeks, we've got two feet of snow here right now, that makes hiking really suck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hope you kids can keep up with FatherBoog!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Where are you located? We should try and get you into a couple hikes before the end of of 90ndays from your first one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
McLean
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I won't make it.  We'll try to do one here in the desert in a few weeks, we've got two feet of snow here right now, that makes hiking really suck.
View Quote
Just think of how tough your son will be after dragging him out in that!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat

Thank you very much  

Just trying to pull my weight, do what I can to help the cause and of course, to redeem and close out the teener generation on a strong note.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top