Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2021 6:00:50 PM EDT
All those that have been sitting on 50-100 year old furnaces are going to feel that sting. [and yes, there are WAY more gas converted coal octopus furnaces out there then people think.]

I wish I could have put ''I Did This'' poopy pant stickers on each and every letter that went out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sucks when those union democrats get what they voted for.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No reference link?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sucks when those union democrats get what they voted for.

Kharn
View Quote

No they didnt
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
But hey, no more mean tweets! Amirite?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All those that have been sitting on 50-100 year old furnaces are going to feel that sting. [and yes, there are WAY more gas converted coal octopus furnaces out there then people think.]

I wish I could have put ''I Did This'' poopy pant stickers on each and every letter that went out.
View Quote

I'm always amazed at the number of people that still have those. It's such an easy way to save money.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gonna be lots of people of north who freeze to death this winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No reference link?
View Quote

They mailed letters out to their customers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gonna be lots of people of north who freeze to death this winter.
View Quote

More and more it's going to feel like a feature and not a bug.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They mailed letters out to their customers.
View Quote

Provider?  I haven't got anything from DTE.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It is Consumers or DTE mailing out notices?  Do you have a picture of the letter?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is Consumers or DTE mailing out notices?  Do you have a picture of the letter?
View Quote

Consumers. I got mine last week, tossed it but I knew a significant increase was coming. I won't be affected much as I have a smaller house with good insulation and windows and a 96% efficient 2 stage ECM drive furnace. My average daily cost is .65 cents for the actual gas cost. I know a LOT of my customers though that have big old leaky houses and very old crap furnaces and they are going to be paying a lot more. I've been telling them for years they really need to upgrade but if it runs, it stays. Of course when they start getting their new bills, all of them will be trying to get replacement furnace costs and now is a VERY bad time to do so.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Comrades should just wear more clothes to save our planet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a perfect time to get a parlor stove that burns nut coal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

when one fuel goes up, the others follow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Prices are going up 30-50% in Maine too.

My brother just got a place that has a heat pump + wood pellet stove. Cheapest way to warm your house.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You'll have to be more EMPHATIC to convince the masses.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Nat Gas is up from $2-3 MCF to $4-5

in 2007-2008 it was around $8 MCF and then dropped like a rock to the $2-3 till now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m preparing for +$4.00 p/gal propane this winter. Already eying replacing furnace with a Mitsubishi heat-pump.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m preparing for +$4.00 p/gal propane this winter. Already eying replacing furnace with a Mitsubishi heat-pump.
View Quote

What model?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#20]
If only we could build some sort of a large, metallic tube-like structures that could somehow move fuels to where they are needed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Comrades should just wear more clothes to save our planet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If only we could build some sort of a large, metallic tube-like structures that could somehow move fuels to where they are needed.
View Quote

Go on….

My propane is up roughly 75% since last time I filled up.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Vlad will gladly send tankers full of LNG to the East Coast.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inconceivable!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Say Thank You Pedo Joe!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow that's crazy. Thought they'd all be gone by now. Back in the 1970's I worked for a heating and air conditioner company and we replaced countless octopuses, but they were all oil conversions then due to a moratorium on gas units .
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow that's crazy. Thought they'd all be gone by now. Back in the 1970's I worked for a heating and air conditioner company and we replaced countless octopuses, but they were all oil conversions then due to a moratorium on gas units .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's nuts, especially when they think you are going to pull out some 1925 era mechanical bi metallic safety from your ass to repair it or find some cast iron burner that has finally cracked or rusted out. You'll see one that went from coal to fuel oil to natural gas with bricks piled around the burner to simulate a coal pile.

What kills them financially is that a lot of them are coated and covered with friable asbestos and become nightmares if a replacement is professionally done correctly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's nuts, especially when they think you are going to pull out some 1925 era mechanical bi metallic safety from your ass to repair it or find some cast iron burner that has finally cracked or rusted out. You'll see one that went from coal to fuel oil to natural gas with bricks piled around the burner to simulate a coal pile.
View Quote

How hard are they to replace? I'd imagine you need ductwork as well. What's that run? Last house I did I paid $8900 for a furnace, AC and flex duct.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My brother just got a place that has a heat pump + wood pellet stove. Cheapest way to warm your house.
View Quote

My parents in PA are getting a 25% increase.

Of course,  they voted for it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How hard are they to replace? I'd imagine you need ductwork as well. What's that run? Last house I did I paid $8900 for a furnace, AC and flex duct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't getting any cheaper, that's for sure. But yes, they usually are quite expensive to remove. Most still don't have blowers, they just use the old ''heat rises, cold drops'' convection method.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Democrats hate America's energy industry.

Thankfully, they're working on new voting machines that are solar powered.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank Nancy Polydent Pelosi and Joseph Pisspants Biden!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't worry those bags of pellets will be $10.00 soon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, I figured as much so I just logged onto my gas company website.
Looks like it's going up here also of course, but the gas bills (not the cost of natural gas) are only expected to be anywhere from 4% - 11% ($2.50 - $8.50) per month higher depending on weather and personal gas consumption usage - so not as bad as I thought (still sucks though).
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]
The following article refutes the 50% increase.  From mid-October 2021

Michigan residents unlikely to see natural gas prices soar as high as elsewhere, experts say

"Michigan residents face plenty of variables in this furnace-running season, both from the weather and the power bills they’ll face to heat their homes – but the odds may be in their favor.

National energy officials this week said winter heating bills are expected to skyrocket, for some homes by more than 50 percent. However, experts said Michigan’s natural gas storage capacity, market practices and even untapped reserves position the state better than most others, even heading into a forecasted rollercoaster La Ninã winter.

Environmental advocates nationwide and in Michigan said they hope painfully high natural gas prices becomes motivation homeowners need to replace gas furnaces and other appliances with electric versions. That would reduce overall residential use of the fossil fuel, encourage faster renewable energy development and better confront greenhouse gas emissions and climate change, they argue."

What idiots.  In general I would put electric space heating cost at about three times that of natural gas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#36]
There will be some pain as we transition into the new economy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I need a woos stove that can tie in my central hvac.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Woos stoves are out of stock until 2025.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Energy production is being sabotaged world wide, right out in the open.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Energy production is being sabotaged world wide, right out in the open.
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They aren't getting any cheaper, that's for sure. But yes, they usually are quite expensive to remove. Most still don't have blowers, they just use the old ''heat rises, cold drops'' convection method.
View Quote

If you can go from 50% to 80% or 96% efficiency... it's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What idiots.  In general I would put electric space heating cost at about three times that of natural gas.
View Quote

Most people live in places where heat pumps are competitive with gas. There are some people in zones 6 and 7 that need to burn stuff for heat for the deepest parts of winter.

Electric resistance? Yeah, that sucks.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All people do is look at the initial costs, they never look at yearly savings, the ability to have central A/C, or the higher resale price for the house as only a fool would choose a house with an octopus over a similar house with a more modern system.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#44]
KOLD?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#45]
How expensive is the National Guard up there?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Cool, Cho Bi Den’s plan is starting to come together.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

All people do is look at the initial costs, they never look at yearly savings, the ability to have central A/C, or the higher resale price for the house as only a fool would choose a house with an octopus over a similar house with a more modern system.
View Quote

I've sold energy improvements using multi year pro formas but it is a tough hill to climb.

My energy costs go up 10% per year so being able to replace the HVAC and wrap it into a 30 year note is a good idea...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can borrow mine.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Electricity will go up once gas appliances are replaced.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Lol 50% would never get past the MPSC. Now propane isn't regulated and that might go up 50%.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top