Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2021 2:14:16 AM EDT
Thanks in advance and I apologize for my lack of knowledge of this subject..............

I recently was given a set of antlers from my grandfather who had to be moved into an assisted living facility with my grandmother.
In addition to the antlers, he had the hunting license from that year ( year 1947, he was 15 years old) but the best part is he had two pictures from that day as well. The pictures are small, definitely smaller than a 4x8, grainy, but in good condition. I am having the antlers professionally cleaned and mounted and want to have the pictures enlarged and "cleaned up" if thats a a thing?
Im thinking a shadowbox under the antlers would be perfect.

My question is..........who do I go to and what do I ask to have done? Would any photography shop handle this? Would this be called a "restoration" of the photos? I dont have access to a scanner at the moment and I would be a little leery sending them out somewhere unknown due to the sentimental value I have of them.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!
Lookinup
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thanks in advance and I apologize for my lack of knowledge of this subject..............

I recently was given a set of antlers from my grandfather who had to be moved into an assisted living facility with my grandmother.
In addition to the antlers, he had the hunting license from that year ( year 1947, he was 15 years old) but the best part is he had two pictures from that day as well. The pictures are small, definitely smaller than a 4x8, grainy, but in good condition. I am having the antlers professionally cleaned and mounted and want to have the pictures enlarged and "cleaned up" if thats a a thing?
Im thinking a shadowbox under the antlers would be perfect.

My question is..........who do I go to and what do I ask to have done? Would any photography shop handle this? Would this be called a "restoration" of the photos? I dont have access to a scanner at the moment and I would be a little leery sending them out somewhere unknown due to the sentimental value I have of them.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!
Lookinup
View Quote

Take them to a Photoshop expert (photo retoucher or graphic designer) and let them work their magic or since they have sentimental value take them someplace with high-end photocopiers or scanners and blow up the images for print or do a high res scan or a little of both take the print or file and unless it's satisfactory as a print and send the file and or digital print to someone who knows Photoshop to edit and touch of the photos.

For now, take post a simple phone pic of it so we can see how much work and what kind of work needs to be done to it to better advise you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, appreciate the help.....

Here’s a few pics of the pics, to include one for size.

The other nice part is the store which the pictures are taken in front of, was the family “general” store that was run by my great aunt. Lots of great memories in these pics....Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
That's cool, OP!
Good luck with the project.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Those should be pretty easy to touch up. If you find a local person to do it then all you need to do is drop off the photos with them and you wont have to worry about USPS or UPS or FedEx losing them.

Or if you have to send them then get hi-res scans at a local copy/print shop once you get them on a USB thumb drive you can put them on your computer and email them. If you can't find anyone local let me know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
There's several companies that do restoration of damaged photos. My cousin's wife had one of her grandparents done & it was amazing what got fixed.

Since this is a family pic, *I* would spend the $40 per pic (or whatever it is) to have it professionally done, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You need much more resolution and a better crop when you shoot those for digital repro

there is no definition in the sample pix

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
What would be kinda cool would be have them scanned and laser burned onto wood

https://www.etsy.com/listing/480124154/personalized-laser-engraved-hunting
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.

Just how often did people fill their tags in 1948 Pennsylvania?  Everything I’ve ever read says deer were few and far between back then.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry everyone,

Got busy with life and forgot this thread. Yes I am hoping to take the pics to a local place to get them touched up as beat as possible.

The antlers from that deer are currently at my taxidemy guys shop so the ball is rolling!

That wood burning idea is great too, would look good with/in a shadow box and the pics.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool.

Just how often did people fill their tags in 1948 Pennsylvania?  Everything I’ve ever read says deer were few and far between back then.
View Quote

From what my grandfather told me, it was a pretty big deal to get a buck. Back then there was no game management like we have today. If it’s brown it’s down was the theme of the day. They hunted to feed the family on their farm.

Lookinup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top