Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2021 7:57:13 PM EDT
As a former Marine,  and Dad, I am very proud, and sad at the same time.
My first born  baby boy is going to be gone for 6 years. Anyone on here  know anything about this MOS?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing at all. But I'm impressed.
Good job, dad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t know anything but, congrats and hope he is super successful!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Mission accomplished!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in there was MM, EM and ET with Nuclear MOS. Do you know which one he got?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Join the Navy and see Idaho?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I do...i was a nuclear electrician on an SSBN.  Fingers crossed he gets Reactor Operator, or Machinist's Mate!  Electrician was the fucking worst!  Pm if you have any questions!!

Dave
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
there’s a bunch of us here. Congrats to him, I think
It’s hard work (at least it was for me) getting through school and long days when he gets to the boat/ship. First ones on and last ones off. Good luck to him
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well done sir.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
That's great.  Must be a sharp kid and you should be proud.  Best of luck to him.  Power school and prototype are hard.  Qualifying on the ship is harder.  But just like any path in the military, you gotta recognize that it's a game, and play the game in order to do well.  In his case, the first 6 months will be a game of rote memorization at nuclear power school.  The second 6 months at MTS/prototype will be about studying just enough about a particular aspect to get a signature from a staff member.  That requires dogging salty dudes into giving you their time so that you can earn a signature.  There's a couple hundred signatures required.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My first born  baby boy is going to be gone for 6 years. Anyone on here  know anything about this MOS?
View Quote
Extremely difficult school.  NPTU chews up smart kids.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Not since 1994
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't getting in the easy part?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Nuke ET?

I was nuke MM, 1987 to 1993.

Spent nearly three years near Saratoga Springs, NY working in "The Ball", D1G.

There are ET, electronics tech

EM, electricians

And MM, Mechanics

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
One ping only...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Not able to answer any of these questions  yet, he is still on his way home from meps. When he left yesterday  he was going to  be either a gunners mate, or cryptologic tech.
He scored a 91 out of 99 on the asvab test.It sounded like they really wanted him for this mos, they guaranteed  him e3 out of school,  and $40k sign on bonus.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Every Nuke Tech I know is doing really well for themselves.
A school in Charleston? Hard school from what I was told by those wiz kids.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Never served 15 seconds in anyone's military.

So I'll keep my mouth shut.

That said, I don't really approve of the way they do business. I think they are a bit hard on their human resources.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's probably the most intellectually demanding enlisted MOS in all of the armed forces. Be proud he qualified for training, be very proud if he makes it through.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not able to answer any of these questions  yet, he is still on his way home from meps. When he left yesterday  he was going to  be either a gunners mate, or cryptologic tech.
He scored a 91 out of 99 on the asvab test.It sounded like they really wanted him for this mos, they guaranteed  him e3 out of school,  and $40k sign on bonus.
View Quote
I was just going to ask about the bonus. They offered me $40k to go nuke around 1983 (I turned it down and became a small arms gunner)...I'm amazed it hasn't increased in 40 years.
Still, a nice bonus!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Crayon eater raised a glowing one? Dang.

Keep him from getting lost in military junior rank BS and I think he’ll have a great time

Getting out and doing your own thing is critical for a young man
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Nuke school has a huge drop out rate. Congrats to your son, but hopefully he is prepared to study his ass off.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
ETs are a special breed, the geek's geek of the nuclear world.  Conventional I&C techs are the same, weird folks.

Electricians are hard working and have a solid future in the real world based on the training they have.

Mechanics are truly the knuckle draggers of the nuclear geek world, hard working, always dirty, always staying late and showing up early due to broken equipment.

Looking back, I'd have chosen ET or EM, but I was always mechanically inclined, so mechanic it was.

Adding:

Nukes are always first on and last off. Reactor has to ge started up and shut down.

Sucks to see everybody leaving in port while you have another 8 hrs of duty to go before you go out or go home.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Very tough school. Keep him focused on doing his best. The school has a high suicide rate from what I understand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#25]
That's awesome.  As an infantryman, I think I'd want my sons to go the route that yours did.  A respectable, honorable way to serve and do it at a high capacity and he's not going to be around a bunch of grunts every day.  Plus he will have a ton of opportunities after his ETS.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
One that I know who was in the same time I was (90s) is now doing demo work out of PSNS as a contractor, making BANK. I dont know the scope of his job but I looked him up last year when I was contracting and he is doing well.

Its nice having marketable skills when you get out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#27]
They should have guaranteed him E-4. That is a tough school.

edit:  Did things change?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Some in power school do 40 hrs of training plus 40 hrs of after hours of study MANDATORY just to get by.

Many don't make it even with that.

Wouldn't be surprised if drop out rate is near 50% throughout A school, power school and prototype.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I work in commercial power generation and, generally speaking, nukes can go where ever they want due to their knowledge and work ethic established while working through the program and standards held while in the program.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's probably the most intellectually demanding enlisted MOS in all of the armed forces. Be proud he qualified for training, be very proud if he makes it through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations to you and your son.  My oldest daughter went into that MOS as well, she graduated bootcamp in august or September then went straight to the school near Charleston ( ? ).  She said it is up there with the aviation program as far as wash out and suicide rates she was really stressed out for the first session, but is doing better now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ETs are a special breed, the geek's geek of the nuclear world.  Conventional I&C techs are the same, weird folks.

Electricians are hard working and have a solid future in the real world based on the training they have.

Mechanics are truly the knuckle draggers of the nuclear geek world, hard working, always dirty, always staying late and showing up early due to broken equipment.

Looking back, I'd have chosen ET or EM, but I was always mechanically inclined, so mechanic it was.

View Quote
LOL! True enough, from my limited exposure to the breed.

We had a kid in my boot company who was going nuke. No doubt intelligent, but absolutely non-functional in any practical social setting (think: Sheldon Cooper, but only about 5'5").
I remember that, no matter what we were doing, he only seemed capable of thinking or talking about Dungeons & Dragons.
Early on, he simply wandered away from the company at least twice.
The CCs finally assigned two other recruits to him, under orders to never let him out of their sight.  They were afraid he'd get lost on the way to chow and eventually starve to death.

Always wondered what happened to him. It frightened me that he might actually be operating a reactor somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This happens. My son qualified and spent a year in school before it got the best of him. He was certainly smart enough but wasn't mature enough at the time. A 4 year nuclear engineering degree crammed into 2 years is a lot to digest for an adolescent just learning to live away from home, not making excuses for him as I know he could have done better than he did if he had applied himself but it is a big challenge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL! True enough, from my limited exposure to the breed.

We had a kid in my boot company who was going nuke. No doubt intelligent, but absolutely non-functional in any practical social setting (think: Sheldon Cooper, but only about 5'5").
I remember that, no matter what we were doing, he only seemed capable of thinking or talking about Dungeons & Dragons.
Early on, he simply wandered away from the company at least twice.
The CCs finally assigned two other recruits to him, under orders to never let him out of their sight.  They were afraid he'd get lost on the way to chow and eventually starve to death.

Always wondered what happened to him. It frightened me that he might actually be operating a reactor somewhere.
View Quote

Most ETs are Sheldon Coopers, perfect analogy.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This happens. My son qualified and spent a year in school before it got the best of him. He was certainly smart enough but wasn't mature enough at the time. A 4 year nuclear engineering degree crammed into 2 years is a lot to digest for an adolescent just learning to live away from home, not making excuses for him as I know he could have done better than he did but it is a big challenge.
View Quote

I consolidated my nuke training into 80 credit hours and an associates in nuclear engineering technology.

Any reputable online university will allow you to finish the bachelor's.

If anybody has a nuke son or daughter, strongly urge them to validate the training on paper. It opens NUMEROUS doors down the road.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations!  
My son was an ET Nuke.  Served on a fast attack sub in Hawaii and a boomer in Washington.  He told me once there's your sub and everything else is a target.  He also told me once that operating a reactor was kinda like checking your tire pressure every 15 minutes and writing it down on a clip board.

He has never been unemployed since getting out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#36]
OP his options are going to be very lucrative too.  IF he reups the bonus will be simply outstanding as will offers of employment outside the military.  He is going to be making some serious coin in the future.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell yeah, he can get himself a good career at a nuke plant if he decides he wants to go that route afterward. Operators make bank.
< Work at a nuke but sadly not an operator.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cannot recall his screen name but a member has a little sister who was a nuke tech on which ever carrier was assisting in the Fukushima relief efforts.

She made a regional fitness magazine cover for having great abs.

If anyone recalls the screen name of the member I am talking about, please @ them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That can't be right.
it is e3 out of boot camp.
e4 for graduating a-school
then 40k maybe for graduating prototype.

I remember some money at prototype but never what they promissed.
was always 60k to re-enlist and they always tried to wave 100k at you but never had funding for it or some story.

and I don't know what it is now, but it was 50 percent attrition out of nuke school.

doubt it has changed much other then get easier like the rest of the stuff out there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Work hard. I washed out in 83 and ended up on an amphib doing Gator Squares off Beirut. At least I ended up as an A-Gang MM learning HVAC/R so I had a career when I got out. My son made it through and does quite well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I was in there was MM, EM and ET with Nuclear MOS. Do you know which one he got?
View Quote

He won't know until he gets to boot camp and the Nukes there pick for him after he fills out a dream sheet
Quoted:
View Quote

Been a long time since prototype has been in Idaho. They "just" moved La Jolla and the Honofrisco down to Charleston to be modern prototypes to take over for 626 and 635.

Quoted:
They should have guaranteed him E-4. That is a tough school.

edit:  Did things change?
View Quote

If they did it would be upon completion of A school and signing of the 2 year extension for make the initial 6 yrs active.

There are a handful of nukes here, past and likely present. I sucked at math and was on 25-4s after failing the second math test in powerschool but worked back up to 15-2 or 15-3 whatever it was and finished almost dead middle of my class. It can be a rough school for some, and less difficult for others. It was a change for me going from never studying in high school to being utterly destroyed with homework and studying every night.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend from high school did it. Washed out. Apparently the training is BRUTAL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good job, dad.
View Quote
All of this.

If I ever meet your son, I'll buy him a drink, OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#45]
In 1987, it was $6400 MAX enlistment bonus, $30K MAX reenlistment for minimum of two years after prototype.

MAX was based on timing, rank, length of reenlistment etc.  Few got max at the time I was in.

I got $3200 and didn't reenlist.  6 and out for me.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have any questions. PM me.

I am decades removed, but will provide any info I can.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good job, dad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Some things don't react well to bullets?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#50]
The funny thing was, there were two kinds of people.
the hands on guys that could actually do the work, but sucked at the book part where they had to learn the theory.
Then there were the guys that could do all the book parts but couldn't figure out how to do it for real.

So there were a ton of guys I tutored in power school.
I taught heat transfer and fluid flow theory so many times, I still remember it, 30 years later. lol.

You didn't get put on mando study hours unless you were under 3.0 average.
They put me on mando 10 because I only had a 3.5 and 3.2 depending on the time of year, thinking it would make a difference.

I remember guys falling a sleep standing up due to late nights out. They would have to stand at podiums at the back of the room. So tired they fell over.

But yeah, there were guys there all day for school and then had to put another 40 hours in before the week was up studying.
Sunday's were busy days because you could only get 10 hours that day and people need it all to make the 40 hours.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top