BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first thought is that he is trying to set up an adverse possession claim by "maintaining" your land.
View Quote

This.  Every five years send him a letter thanking him for mowing your grass. Let him know that he is welcome to do so, but you are reasserting your ownership of the tract in question.

Have a lawyer draft and send it. $100 for five years at a time of mowed grass ain’t bad.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you're in the wrong. I'm of the mind "leave my shit alone" no questions asked, it's mine.

Don't let the replies get you wound up. I only read the first 3 pages but did you address this? - Does it feel like he's fucking with you for whatever reason of does it feel like he just keep forgetting? Some people are hard to read but I can't imagine he's shining you on and you can't tell?

Old dudes get weird fast, look at this forum
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Have him trespassed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I would explain shit one last time, and I would not be kind in my explanation.    

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live out in the country on some acreage, been there for around 10 years.  For some reason, starting about 3 years ago, my old man (mid 60's) neighbor has started mowing a section of my lawn.  He seems like a pretty nice guy, just a little quirky. At first, I just thought he was being nice once or twice, but after him continually doing it for the entire summer, I went over and talked to him about it two years ago.

I was nice about it, just told him I appreciated him mowing that part of my lawn, but I'd rather him not.  I already mow around 2 acres, that small part is just a blip on the radar. He said "Oh, sorry I was just doing it to be nice .I'll stop".  And he stopped for the rest of the summer.

Then last summer, he started doing it again. So I talked to him again, and he stopped for a while. Then about a month later my wife was out in the yard while he was mowing, and when he came over to mow that section on my property again, my wife flagged him down and asked him why he keeps mowing that section of our lawn.  Once again, he said "Oh, sorry I was just doing it to be nice .I'll stop".  

This spring as I was spraying my fence line a while back, for the hell of it, I ran a line of roundup right down the property line all the way to the road .just to give a little reminder to the guy to not mow my lawn this summer. Maybe that was a jack move?

Well, it didn't help .he was back at it last night, and mowed that section of my lawn again.  

As this point, I'm wondering what his deal is. I don't know what's so special about that rectangle of property, but he can't seem to not mow it.  

I've talked to him more than once, my wife has talked to him, I've clearly marked the property, but he's still not getting it.   I'm starting to wonder if he's trying some type of imminent domain thing where he's going to claim he's been maintaining that piece of property so it's his now? I think in MO you have to maintain property for 10 years, then you can claim it's yours.   I've been documenting it pretty good...and I still move it, so it's going to be hard for him to say that.

Any thoughts??  

https://i.imgur.com/KqeJXuY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hg4CRTB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3vHDTEe.jpg

View Quote
He probably has dementia.   What's he hurting?   Why do you care?   Leave him alone, find something more important to fret about.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Dementia and/or he's just old and bored and lonely and doesn't see the harm even if he told you he'd quit. It does kind of appear like some kind of a weird passive aggressive thing, but has he ever acted that way about anything else?

Next time I caught him, I'd probably tell him "Hey old timer, I know last time we talked I asked you stop mowing that chunk of my lawn, but you do a pretty decent job. After thinking about it, can you please keep cutting it for me? I can't pay you or anything, but I sure would appreciate it."

He'll either feel appreciated, be happy, and you'll have to mow less, or he'll quit doing it.

ETA: If you're really just done with dealing with him, extend that fence line to the road and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, plant a row of bushes or put in a fence.

Or, in honor of today:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Boulders
View Quote

FPNI. Get appropriate sized rocks to account for the device he is using... A nice size rock does wonders on your blades
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The amount of effort you put into the OP leaves me concerned for your lack of sex with females.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
have you tried fucking his wife?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Drive a couple pieces of rebar into the ground down to grass height.
View Quote

devious
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The guy that lived next door up until a few years ago would make a few passes of his mower onto our property.  I asked him repeatedly to stop as we set our mower almost to the highest setting. He would scalp his yard down to the dirt.
Me and the wife planted a few small dwarf blue spruce trees/bushes close to the line. Woke up next day to find he had pulled them up. Called sheriff's department so they could have a talk with him and to establish a paper trail.
We had the property surveyed again. Placed pins. Then planted 3 smaller evergreens that are very slow growing. Yep, he pulled those up. Wife called the cops and we showed them on my phone the camera footage of him pulling them up. He was cited and told not to trespass again.

We took him to small claims and the judge awarded us triple damages for destroying trees as allowed in Tennessee.  

He put his house up for sale and was gone in about 3 months.

This happened about 3 or 4 years ago.

OP is going to have to finally resort to different methods to get him to understand to stop mowing across the line.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the opposite problem. My neighbor mows up to my line but leaves about a 6" strip adjacent to the driveway in a very small area. It looks retarded and I'm sure they do it on purpose.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Toss an old toilet on the line.

But seriously, you might need to put up some kind of fence.

Or go over there with a 6-pack and say "Look, I want to be friendly, and I want to be a good neighbor, but your cutting my grass is making it difficult for me to be either.  We've talked about this before, and every time you say you'll stop.  But then you don't.  I'm here with my hat in my hand, with a peace offering, but respectfully, if you don't stop I'm going to have to trespass you.  Neither you or I want that, so please, for the love of God, stop."
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unless you do not recognize that strip as yours for 10 years (if your interpretation of MO law is correct), he cannot Eminent Domain the land. Every time you speak to him you reset the clock. For lack of a better word the land has to be abandoned and under his care for 10 years.
View Quote

Well, he can't eminent domain the land anyway, because he's not the government.  What you mean to say is take it though adverse possession, and while there's some slight risk, it's not realistic in this case.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Build a fence
View Quote

This happened to a family member in OH. It looked like the neighbor was using the section for a low use driveway around a garden going to an area behind a large barn/garage. A fence fixed the situation. I don't think they spoke to the neighbor again after the fence went up.

ETA;I bet he is doing this to make his front yard look bigger. It looks like his house (is that his house?) is very close to the property line.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Mark the property line with a tight dragged row of junked cars.
Yer’ out in the Country for Pete sake. This is the way things are done.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have him mow the whole thing and buy him a cake.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
How high do you let the grass grow?

Is it in his view from where he lives and he just wants it to look groomed?

Could the growth in that area be inviting animals/bugs/mosquitos and he's trying to minimize that?

Though you haven't seen her, have you tried going over and knocking on the house door to perhaps ask her if she may have some insight into what is occurring?

Some other options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YQ38LM1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N211MYK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Y8N7KC
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Build a fence
View Quote
this is the way
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Put up  at post non barbed wire fence and call it good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My first reaction, being in rural North Missouri, is let the old guy do it, maybe he is just being neighborly and hasn't gotten the picture (stay off your lawn)....

But then, depending on who he is, and his background, reputation in your area, he could have some silly plan to "annex" that little chunk of lawn.  Doubt it, but one never knows these days.  I'd ask around town and see if anyone knows the guy.

He's probably harmless.... but...?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Dig that area up. That's where he buried his SHTF weapons and real gold. He's mowing it so he can see the marks he used to mark the spots to dig.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should have stayed in the city. People like you ruin country life. Karen’s don’t belong in the country.
View Quote

This is exactly right, Op is the problem not the other way around.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Took me 2min with MS-Paint  

And I'm married.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of effort you put into the OP leaves me concerned for your lack of sex with females.

Took me 2min with MS-Paint  

And I'm married.....

So he's right. There is a lack of sex.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
My neighbor and I have about a thirty foot strip between our driveways.
We're actually normal people and both of us mow the whole strip each time.
We tend to wave and talk to each other though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Trespass is trespass, and most of you are against it. Except when some hick is trying to be nice...He was asked to stop!!!

If you country hobos think its ok to trespass to mow someone else's land, especially after being asked nicely and repeatedly to stop, then maybe you are the problems.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My neighbor isn't maintaining his yard lately so I am about to mow his side that is next to me.  I think he is having health issues.  I might offer to cut the whole yard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
no offense but your yard doesn't really look " good". You definitely arent a yard guy, so who cares? let him mow more of it if he wants to. Honestly this is a facebook Karen post. Imagine talking to strangers about it online, and not just talking to the old guy about it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Start mowing his lawn?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Instead of T posts and barb wire, put up a split rail fence.  I did that when my wife did daycare for awhile when we were younger. Parents would drop off
their kids they would back out of the drive and partly though the grass of the yard.  One section of split rail at the end of the drive where they drove through cured that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My first thought is that he is trying to set up an adverse possession claim by "maintaining" your land.
View Quote

Yes, and just telling him to stop DOES NOT COUNT. You have to send him a certified letter and save copies and receipts. Bottom line, as much as you might not want to do it, a fence is the best way - doesn't have to be big or expensive. Then if he knocks it down or damages it in any way, you can sue him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Throw some chain out in the grass and let him find it with his mower.
View Quote

I could get behind this idea
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have stayed in the city. People like you ruin country life. Karen’s don’t belong in the country.

So in the country it's totally normal to let your neighbors trespass on your property? Mow your lawn? Not listen to your requests to stay off your property?

I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of country folk here who would disagree with that.  Most of my neighbors are great...very nice and friendly.  But none of them would be ok with what's going on with this old fart I've got living next to me...I know, because I've asked them.

So no... the problem isn't me.  People move out to the country to be away from the jack wagons in the city......I just want to be left alone, like all my other neighbors.  Stay off my property, I will stay off yours.

That doesn't mean I won't lend a helping hand any time you need it, or let you borrow my trailer, or borrow my tractor. Or let you come over and shoot at my range in the backyard.

But when I say 'hey....please stop mowing my lawn".....and you keep doing it. The problem isn't me.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Trespass is trespass, and most of you are against it. Except when some hick is trying to be nice...He was asked to stop!!!

If you country hobos think its ok to trespass to mow someone else's land, especially after being asked nicely and repeatedly to stop, then maybe you are the problems.  

View Quote

Bingo......
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dig that area up. That's where he buried his SHTF weapons and real gold. He's mowing it so he can see the marks he used to mark the spots to dig.
View Quote

Or the ex-wife
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Good grief, I understand the topic of asking him to stop and trespass and all but it’s a a small strip. Sounds like the old man next to my mom that I cut two swipes with the lawnmower to far into his yard and he  threatened to call the cops on me. Mind you I should have paid more attention or found out where the property line is but there is a city lot between them and this guys throws a fit. Chances are just old man being friendly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Plant corn there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Long piece of green rope, about 10' long.

Will be a bitch to cut from the spindles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Honestly, it looks like once he's done with all the turns around his landscaping, he needs to do this discharging the clippings towards your property.

Then he makes 1 or 2 passes to clean up the edges, as well as catching all the clippings that blew onto your side and back on to his. Likely the width of 2 mower decks worth of discharge, hence the wide clean up path.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Honestly, it looks like once he's done with all the turns around his landscaping, he needs to do this discharging the clippings towards your property.

Then he makes 1 or 2 passes to clean up the edges, as well as catching all the clippings that blew onto your side and back on to his. Likely the width of 2 mower decks worth of discharge, hence the wide clean up path.
View Quote

Nope....he's mowing 30ft onto my property, around 7 mower widths. He's not cleaning anything up....he's just being a pain.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe he can see it through the window when he's in his lounge chair when he's watching TV.  And to him it looks like shit.  He's being a passive aggressive and you keep your yard like a hobo.

In a calm manner, just ask him why he keeps doing it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I have to say I'm with OP on this one. You don't go onto other people's property without permission.

My neighbor, who I've known quite a while, is a great guy. Vietnam vet, 75 years old (76 in about a week, I think), still does work on his own yard, house, and trucks. He keeps his yard looking nice. He keeps his house clean. And he keeps his trucks clean. He's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. If he only had $3, he'd let you borrow $5. Has helped me with anything and everything I've ever asked of him. And I've always helped him when I could. He's borrowed my tools, I've borrowed a couple of his. I've even used his riding mower from time to time when I hurt too much to use my walk-behind. But I would never, EVER, just go over onto his property without his consent. And he doesn't come onto mine without consent. It's called being respectful.

I've always been taught to respect other people's property, whether it be land, a vehicle, personal, or anything else. You don't mess with other people's property. You just don't.

Some look at it like he's doing the OP a favor. And the neighbor may very well see it that way, too. But OP has repeatedly asked him to stop. And the neighbor has said, repeatedly, that he would. Yet he fails to do so. And, unfortunately, OP will have to put up some sort of barrier to (hopefully) keep the neighbor off of his property.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Adverse possession is a thing.
I'd be concerned if it was my land and someone else spent years keeping it up.
View Quote

its really not. maybe on an episode of TV that you watched it worked like that but in the real world you cant gain property by mowing it.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been mowing two neighbors' grass for 28 years.  There's a 5-foot easement on either side of the property line.  They have a fence that's on the edge of the easement.  I don't have a fence, so I maintain their 5-foot strip on my side of the fence.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been mowing two neighbors' grass for 28 years.  There's a 5-foot easement on either side of the property line.  They have a fence that's on the edge of the easement.  I don't have a fence, so I maintain their 5-foot strip on my side of the fence.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top