BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dude, if you enjoy it, more power to you.

I went to my Grandfathers funeral at a Catholic church and was pretty blown away when the priest went out of his way to remind us all we weren't welcome to partake in communion, 1. Because we werent raised or confirmed Catholic 2. My mother was divorced. Even though we attend church on a routine basis and believe in Jesus Christ.. Everyone in the church also shot very judging looks our way when we didn't partake.

Oh, but the priest did make sure to mention we were free to come up and he would bless our heathen asses. Fuck him and the Catholic church.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have mixed feelings about it. I respect their wishes that I don’t partake so I won’t. Although, if I’m being honest, it’s disappointing I can’t. Communion is always available at my church so maybe I’ll just take it there.

Should I have brought my JKV? Lol. I don’t even know what version Catholics prefer/require. I was screwing when they gave the numbers for the hymns anyway. Baby steps man.

Dude, if you enjoy it, more power to you.

I went to my Grandfathers funeral at a Catholic church and was pretty blown away when the priest went out of his way to remind us all we weren't welcome to partake in communion, 1. Because we werent raised or confirmed Catholic 2. My mother was divorced. Even though we attend church on a routine basis and believe in Jesus Christ.. Everyone in the church also shot very judging looks our way when we didn't partake.

Oh, but the priest did make sure to mention we were free to come up and he would bless our heathen asses. Fuck him and the Catholic church.

The reason they say stuff like that at funerals is many of the people attending are not Catholic. Communion isn't snack crackers and a shot of wine.
As far as judgement about not taking Communion, it is unfortunate that you felt that way. There are many Catholics that do not take Communion. As a previous poster said, the gate keeper is YOU. So it is very normal for regular attending Catholics not to take Communion. No one judges them. Really no one cares.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oops. We went to a beautiful catholic cathedral in Chattanooga a few months ago to see what it was like. We all took communion and I’m once divorced and raised Baptist. Oh well. On our way back to our pew, a woman grabbed me and said your son didn’t eat the eucharist. I said excise me, what? She repeated it and then I got it. I looked at my 8 YO and said did you eat the wafer, and he said no, it tasted bad. I’m like ok, cool. She says no, he needs to eat it. I thought to myself, is this going to turn in to a problem? Sooo, I told him to eat it which he did. Odd experience with that woman, but I guess not eating it is a sign of being potentially possessed or something….?

We’ll stick to our little Methodist church for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m a regular church goer at my Protestant church. I volunteer regularly, attend a bible study and make Christ my priority in all things. However, I’ve been curious about Catholicism for awhile, and a couple of things aligned so I had the opportunity to visit.

It was different in a lot of ways but there were similarities. I was lost most of the time and didn’t know when to stand up, kneel, or sit. Luckily, I just mimicked what others did and got through it fine. I was excited when we recited the Lord’s Prayer. Finally, something I did know. It was also interesting to see the priest had a lame antidote to start his message similarly to our pastors. I knew not to take communion and was relieved that I wasn’t the only person not partaking.

I’ll definitely go again. Getting my wife to go will be a challenge though. Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did. I’ve made the point that Protestants stray just as much as Catholics but I won’t push her.

While I’m not joining RCIA, I am interested in learning. I’ll still go to our Protestant church but I can go to Mass as well. If you’re Protestant and are curious about Catholicism, I suggest trying it out. It’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought it was.

Oops. We went to a beautiful catholic cathedral in Chattanooga a few months ago to see what it was like. We all took communion and I’m once divorced and raised Baptist. Oh well. On our way back to our pew, a woman grabbed me and said your son didn’t eat the eucharist. I said excise me, what? She repeated it and then I got it. I looked at my 8 YO and said did you eat the wafer, and he said no, it tasted bad. I’m like ok, cool. She says no, he needs to eat it. I thought to myself, is this going to turn in to a problem? Sooo, I told him to eat it which he did. Odd experience with that woman, but I guess not eating it is a sign of being potentially possessed or something….?

They are stolen for black masses and such. Again, it is Christ's Flesh, NOT a symbol. Very Grave and disrespectful. I know that you did not mean to do that though. Doesn't change that it is His Body.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They were removed because they didn't support the position that the Protestants had. You can't have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.
View Quote
Pure honest curiosity is there a cliff notes version to what differences are held in the 7 books. I truly have never desired to find out as a good baptist boy. I am curious to see the differences.

At some point over the next year Im sure Ill read them as you have peaked my interest. My Grandmother, Pastor and church brothers were raised catholic so Im sure I can seek insight there as well. I just dont see a new study starting for me in the next 3 months especially an "exploratory" one. So any quick versions to see what Im getting into?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m a regular church goer at my Protestant church. I volunteer regularly, attend a bible study and make Christ my priority in all things. However, I’ve been curious about Catholicism for awhile, and a couple of things aligned so I had the opportunity to visit.

It was different in a lot of ways but there were similarities. I was lost most of the time and didn’t know when to stand up, kneel, or sit. Luckily, I just mimicked what others did and got through it fine. I was excited when we recited the Lord’s Prayer. Finally, something I did know. It was also interesting to see the priest had a lame antidote to start his message similarly to our pastors. I knew not to take communion and was relieved that I wasn’t the only person not partaking.

I’ll definitely go again. Getting my wife to go will be a challenge though. Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did. I’ve made the point that Protestants stray just as much as Catholics but I won’t push her.

While I’m not joining RCIA, I am interested in learning. I’ll still go to our Protestant church but I can go to Mass as well. If you’re Protestant and are curious about Catholicism, I suggest trying it out. It’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought it was.
View Quote

I’m saved by faith alone and not works. I’ll pass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are stolen for black masses and such. Again, it is Christ's Flesh, NOT a symbol. Very Grave and disrespectful. I know that you did not mean to do that though. Doesn't change that it is His Body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if your 8 year old son was at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and running around, trying to climb op the side, yeah someone should say something. It's a shame you are so disconnected from your faith that you treated Communion as a snack opportunity for your son.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't believe in Baptism? Baptism is a Work of Faith. How about the Scriptural Works of Mercy?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Busybody church ladies are a problem through the world.  Lol.

However, in an attempt to explain to you her underlying motivation and belief system to explain her behavior, you have to understand that she believes that communion is the actual body of Christ—not to be disrespected nor thrown in the trash nor discarded.  The host is to be protected. Had your son dropped it on the floor, it would have been collected and protected with reverence.  It’s a different mindset than you are familiar with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the Catholic church helping the Catholic charities help illegals cross the border?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pure honest curiosity is there a cliff notes version to what differences are held in the 7 books. I truly have never desired to find out as a good baptist boy. I am curious to see the differences.

At some point over the next year Im sure Ill read them as you have peaked my interest. My Grandmother, Pastor and church brothers were raised catholic so Im sure I can seek insight there as well. I just dont see a new study starting for me in the next 3 months especially an "exploratory" one. So any quick versions to see what Im getting into?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were removed because they didn't support the position that the Protestants had. You can't have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.

Rather than trying to influence your position pre-reading, why don’t you read them and draw your own conclusions and then get back to me as to what you honestly think they bring to the table? I think that would be a fascinating discussion.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the Catholic church helping the Catholic charities help illegals cross the border?
View Quote

Too many are. Part of the leftism that has tainted the RCC since Vatican 2.  What formerly was one of the greatest anti-communist organizations in the early 20th century, the RCC has fallen into leftist liberation theology.  There is a reason why the Kremlin started infiltration into the church in the 1920’s as it did in all of our western establishments including academia, religion, media, and politics. YouTube Bishop Sheen’s lectures against communism.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A bizarre attempt to justify the idea that Catholics aren't Christian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you defined what you meant by the words "catholic church" and than stuck with that definition, you'd find that it disappears pretty quickly as you go back in history.

The recent dogmas, for example. Etc. This is such a huge obvious problem that ways had to be invented to rationalize it and you have to be pretty mentally deft to trick yourself into believing them ... or you just have to ignore these things and never go into t he original sources and check them. No, books of quotes aren't original sources. You have to go read the places the quotes were pulled from.

ETA: and so what if the reformers didn't believe what the rcc did? Since when did majority rule define reality?  Not to mention that the rcc belief system wasn't the only thing around, though darned if they don't try their hardest to make like they were and automatically presume any evidence that they weren't is evidence that they were.

How does a person get to heaven? The way this question is answered is the easiest way to tell if someone if someone is catholic or Christian. There are Christian Catholics.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had. You can’t have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you check out a Catholic church and it appeals to you, I would suggest reading your Bible beginning to end before going back.

Which version? The one with 7 entire books removed?

The Bible with all texts that have been agreed upon to have been divinely inspired.

Catholicism is not compatible with Christianity.

Exalt the parts of the Bible the Protestants had to remove because that part of scripture did not align with their notions. Even God needs an editor apparently

We didn't remove them and they were in the bibles protestant used up until not very long ago.

The reasons we believe that the non-apocraphl books are God inspired and his word are the same reasons why we don't believe the apocryphal books are inspired.

Those books do not logically fit with what the other books teach, and the fact that the rcc didn't declare them offically as inspired/God's words until after the debate over over purgatory became a problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had. You can’t have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.

Why engage he is clearly unhinged when it comes to religion,  he doesn't even know basics and seems to have let one incident at a funeral of a loved one guide the rest of his life religion wise unfortunatly.

What is strange to me is almost every one including most atheists know books were excluded from the king James version of the Bible. Why he doesn't, who knows? Jesus will still try and guide his way I hope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you don't believe in Baptism? Baptism is a Work of Faith. How about the Scriptural Works of Mercy?
View Quote

Yes I do. It’s a sacrament.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m Catholic. Not totally happy with our pope, but I go because the community I have locally. Many US Catholics are good conservative people

Good for you OP
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Neil Young - When God made me
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The last time I went to catholic mass, the entire thing was lecturing me on how great illegal aliens are and why not welcoming them makes me a terrible person.

I’ll never go again.

Been throwing away the donation envelopes from the mailbox for 2 years now. I have to or my wife will see them and want to donate.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you check out a Catholic church and it appeals to you, I would suggest reading your Bible beginning to end before going back.

The Bible with all texts that have been agreed upon to have been divinely inspired.

Exalt the parts of the Bible the Protestants had to remove because that part of scripture did not align with their notions. Even God needs an editor apparently

We didn't remove them and they were in the bibles protestant used up until not very long ago.

The reasons we believe that the non-apocraphl books are God inspired and his word are the same reasons why we don't believe the apocryphal books are inspired.

Those books do not logically fit with what the other books teach, and the fact that the rcc didn't declare them offically as inspired/God's words until after the debate over over purgatory became a problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had.
Got a source for that?

You can’t have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.

The apocryphal books teach things that contradict the bible and if they really are God's word, that would mean God contradicts himself, which is impossible.

The new testament books do not quote the deuterocanoncal books. The jews did not treat them as God's word.

Regarding "leaving things out," the rcc "left out"  first/second esdras, the letter of jeremiah, manasseh's prayer, and third and fourth maccabees.

As for what they teach:

Tobit 4:11 For alms deliver from all sin, and from death, and will not suffer the soul to go into darkness.
Tobit 12:9 For alms delivereth from death, and the same is that which purgeth away sins, and maketh to find mercy and life everlasting.
2 Maccabbees 12:43 And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection.

They were not written by prophets (malachai was the last)

(II Peter 1:19) And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,
(Hebrews 1:1) Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Rather than trying to influence your position pre-reading, why don't you read them and draw your own conclusions and then get back to me as to what you honestly think they bring to the table? I think that would be a fascinating discussion.
View Quote
I will read them. I am never opposed and very curious what is in there that seems to "cause" a rift... May take a while.

I am sure I could red them quickly, but a study takes a while. Sometime in this coming year. Though I did drift into Tobias already. Oy Vey! LOL
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got a source for that?

The apocryphal books teach things that contradict the bible and if they really are God's word, that would mean God contradicts himself, which is impossible.

The new testament books do not quote the deuterocanoncal books. The jews did not treat them as God's word.

Regarding "leaving things out," the rcc "left out"  first/second esdras, the letter of jeremiah, manasseh's prayer, and third and fourth maccabees.

As for what they teach:

Tobit 4:11 For alms deliver from all sin, and from death, and will not suffer the soul to go into darkness.
Tobit 12:9 For alms delivereth from death, and the same is that which purgeth away sins, and maketh to find mercy and life everlasting.
2 Maccabbees 12:43 And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection.

(II Peter 1:19) And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,
(Hebrews 1:1) Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for that?

You can’t have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.

As for what they teach:

The source is the King James Bible itself.  Why else would one remove 7 books that had been part of the canon for 1500 years? Not before but part of the “reformation?” Could it possibly be that those books contradicted the reformers or that God changed his mind.  Which is more logical?

You have answered your own question—that scripture doesn’t fit with your belief so it had to be removed. Your own post above you don’t state that the books were somehow fraudulent, you simply disagree with what those scriptures say and therefore must be false because they don’t fit your belief system.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Definition of Temptation: “the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise.”

For someone to “encounter” temptation BY DEFINITION is the act of desiring something.  

Yes, your insistence that EVERYONE in those positions “encounters” temptation is quite a thing to say.

Quite creepy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was raised Catholic, abused by them, have abandoned AND become non-denominational.

I am sorry that you were abused by someone in the Faith. But, that is not the Faith.

I would implore you to try to reconcile with the Sacraments and study the Faith. I family that have been abused in other situations. It is the individual that did this perverted act.

Damn , abuse seems like a theme with that certain so called  “faith” by your own admission………

No, they weren't abused by priests or clergy. My mother and my sister is different situations as children. You all are projecting. There is just as big an issue, if not greater in Protestant churches. But there isn't a unified theme with them for an entity to go after. In fact, public schools have an underage sex abuse problem.

Eitherway.... it is NOT the Faith. These are sins for everyone. The priests have the Gift of Consecration and many other Blessings... but that just means they will be attacked more by Satan.

It *is* because of the rcc beliefs that priests can't be married, that you have to have priests in the confessional, learning all the sins of everyone who goes (meaning, by definition, if he finds any humans attractive, he is handed blackmail and extortion goods on a silver platter), and it is because the priests are held to have powers they don't have because they are said to be literally in the place of Christ on earth, and they can't lose that even if they're kicked out of the priesthood. There's also the problem that there's a tradition of saying priests can't be arrested (or something very like that) which is involved here.

All these things exacerbate the problems inherent in human nature since genesis 3. Until they are removed (and I cannot in any human way see that they ever will), the rcc institutions will continue to have problems with priests abusing their position.

Other systems that do not elevate those in power to the same extent, will not as a system enable the same sort of abuse.

We humans are screwed up and will abuse every single system, including the truth. Systems that make this easier will suffer worse from human corruption.

Really? So, marriage will stop adultery & pedophilia? Interesting. Good thing everyone that is married never does any perverse, adulterous things. Good to know. I will send a letter to the Vatican about it.

You are seriously ignorant on all these things. I realize you are trying to prove against my Faith and yours is better. But your worn out tropes are just sad.

God Bless
Seriously ignorant ... and yet I already explicitly posted that people will abuse every system. You're using a red herring distraction.

How does the fact that people abuse everything (which I explicitly said) change anything about the fact that the flaws I pointed at are present in the rcc system? Systems that do not have the same or equal flaws will not have those flaws exploited by people, because they're not there to exploit.

Rcc priests are not allowed to marry and are commanded to be celibate.

They have to take confession.

They know who is who.

They are human beings and the temptation to use their position is just as heavy for them as it would be for any other human being with the same level of position and power.

... and worse, those who do exploit it will be more enabled to exploit it against those who genuinely believe they have to use the confessional, because they are going to be the ones that lay their souls bare.

There’s that projection again.

It certainly sounds like you are suggesting that ALL people with access and opportunity to influence the vulnerable, are MORE LIKELY to do so, because of “temptation”…

Does this apply to psychiatrists, lawyers, coaches and counselors -or just priests?

Why do you behave like you can falsely accuse people of things ... things you have zero evidence for ... and not have anyone care or notice? Not rehtorical, why are you accusing me of doing these things? Do you think I don't know that "you're projecting" means "you do these things and because you do these things you accuse others of doing it?"

------------

Yes, all people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.

Yes, bad actors will seek all those positions in order to get what they want.

The more abusable the position and system, and the more widely know that the position exists and is exploitable, the more bad actors will try and get into those positions.

This applies everywhere it applies and applies equally.

If YOU were a priest or a coach or a psychiatrist, would YOU be more likely to abuse that power and abuse the vulnerable?
Do you know the difference between a situation that could be abused being there, and it not being there?

Not so fast…

YOU said:

“Yes, ALL people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.”

You said ALL people in will feel that temptation.

Do you believe this?

I did not use "encounter" to mean "feel" and I don't see why you'd think I had, especially given that I had said that the system is abusable, not that everyone will abuse it or that everyone will respond to the temptation in the same way.

Definition of Temptation: “the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise.”

For someone to “encounter” temptation BY DEFINITION is the act of desiring something.  

Yes, your insistence that EVERYONE in those positions “encounters” temptation is quite a thing to say.

Quite creepy.
So, are you intentionally ignoring (for no good reason) that I said "...not that everyone will abuse it or that everyone will respond to the temptation in the same way"?

If you carry, the temptation is there that you could misuses that. That temptation is equally encountered by everyone who carries.

What is different is not the temptation being there, what is different is in the individual. Whether they are vulnerable to that temptation or not.

You have picked definition of temptation that leads to the worst outcome possible, while not even bothering to mention:

Definition of temptation

2 : something tempting : a cause or occasion of enticement

temp·ta·tion

2. Something tempting or enticing.

temp•ta•tion

2. something that tempts, entices, or allures.

temptation

something that tempts, entices, or allures.

And here I am, (again) telling you that not all people react the same to the same temptation. You have to intentionally ignore this to think I am or was saying that everyone reacts to or "feels the effect of" the temptation the same. You're never going to get anywhere with people who don't agree about things with you if you just keep assuming the absolute worst for no good reason. People will think you want the worst for them and just ignore you or get mad at you. ETA: I don't know why you keep doing it to me. I don't know you well enough to begin to have an idea what your motivation is for doing it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The source is the King James Bible itself.  Why else would one remove 7 books that had been part of the canon for 1500 years? Not before but part of the “reformation?” Could it possibly be that those books contradicted the reformers or that God changed his mind.  Which is more logical?

You have answered your own question—that scripture doesn’t fit with your belief so it had to be removed. Your own post above you don’t state that the books were somehow fraudulent, you simply disagree with what those scriptures say and therefore must be false because they don’t fit your belief system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for that?

As for what they teach:

I have several kjv bibles, including a copy of the original 1611 (not sure if the went with the he or the she variant). None of them say (or contain anything that teaches) that "They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had."  

They were never inspired. Again, God cannot contradict himself. The apocryphal books contradict the biblical books. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The Eucharist to Catholics is a Sacrament.  If you look at the underlying word - Sacramentum, you get some interesting definitions.  It is a bond (pledge of collateral), it is considered sacred.  When used within the military - it was the bonding of your body (If you broke your pledge, your body could be forfeit).  

So when the Priest says "Body of Christ", your "Amen" is the answer to a question - an unqualified yes.  Moreover, you are pledging agreement - offering yourself as collateral.  We also call it communion - because we, the church as a whole, throughout time (there is only one mass-on earth and in heaven) and God are in together in this sharing.
---
Anyway - it is not so much that we do not want others to share in communion - but the only way to share in it is to understand it first.  There are specific exceptions that allow for non-Catholics to share in communion with us - but I think understanding is always required (at least understanding within the person's ability to understand).
----
The Protestants removed the books at least in part to a convenient mistake.  When attempting their new and more accurate translation, they attempted to go back as far as possible to get source material.  So for the Old Testament, they went back to the Jewish source material.  The problem was the Jew's had already seen Christianity as a problem, so they removed the books that were not originally written in Hebrew from their cannon - as these books were at a minimum sympathetic to the Christian faith.  The problem was they were part of the Jewish cannon at the time of Christ - a time more Jews spoke Greek than Hebrew - so the newest teachings were originally written in Greek.

IIRC the original Catholic Bible was the translation from the original Hebrew and Greek - to the vulgate (common language) of the time - Latin.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I was raised Catholic my entire childhood and it never appealed to me, it was excruciatingly boring. But my grandparents in FL, used to take me to Baptist church when I came to visit them and I loved it. By comparison in my opinion, I enjoyed the worship and the message much more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So works matter you are saved by Faith AND Works.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I enjoy a good catholic mass IF the preacher is good.

Knew a few good ones.
One use to ride a Harley and go into bars for beer or whiskey.
View Quote

Mine rides a Harley and owns guns.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Is your Father in Heaven, or in Rome?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was raised Catholic my entire childhood and it never appealed to me, it was excruciatingly boring. But my grandparents in FL, used to take me to Baptist church when I came to visit them and I loved it. By comparison in my opinion, I enjoyed the worship and the message much more.
View Quote

Yes, most go to be entertained. "If God isn't putting on a performance & I am not learning... I am out" right?

For Catholics, the priests is doing the work (like in Old Testament offerings) & we are there to Commune with Our God in the "Greatest Miracle ever performed on Earth"- St. Thomas Aquinas.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Refer me to the part of the Catechism that contains this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Catholic Church back then may have been. But the current one with its current leadership? To believe is that Marxist anti-gun, pro-illegal, could make a huge list but don’t care enough.  To believe and donate money to our own destruction IS the most retarded thing.

Refer me to the part of the Catechism that contains this.

Refer you to reading comprehension. The sentence directly BEFORE you highlighted. CURRENT LEADERSHIP.

Are you intentionally being thick or are you a brainwashed POPE lover?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, now for some Catholic humor.

When I was a kid, our family used to take a vacation, usually either Thanksgiving or Christmas time. We'd go to the local Catholic church if we were there over a Sunday. The place was called "Our Lady Star of the Sea". My mom always wrote out a check to drop in the collection plate. So, she did. When she got the deposited check back (they used to do that) from the bank and was looking at it, she broke out laughing. So, we all asked what was up. The check said on the Pay to the order of line, "Our Lady Chicken of the Sea".

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:28:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How does a person get to heaven? The way this question is answered is the easiest way to tell if someone if someone is catholic or Christian. There are Christian Catholics.
View Quote

Catholicism is a Christian faith, just like Lutheranism and Presbyterianism are.

I'm not really sure what your angle is here unless it is that people who don't follow the teachings of the faith but claim to be, aren't really adherents of it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The last time I went to catholic mass, the entire thing was lecturing me on how great illegal aliens are and why not welcoming them makes me a terrible person.

I’ll never go again.

Been throwing away the donation envelopes from the mailbox for 2 years now. I have to or my wife will see them and want to donate.
View Quote

Sounds like a bad parish, I'd find another
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Refer you to reading comprehension. The sentence directly BEFORE you highlighted. CURRENT LEADERSHIP.

Are you intentionally being thick or are you a brainwashed POPE lover?
View Quote

Tell me you don't know what Catholics believe without telling me you don't know what Catholics believe.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I went to catholic school pre-K through grade 12, to an all guys catholic high school. I am no longer a practicing catholic and have only been back to church for funerals and weddings. I never completed the confirmation process, even as a teenager I knew it wasn’t for me. My grandmother went to her grave angry at me for not getting confirmed.

I understand a lot of the gripes and complaints I’m seeing here with the church, but also, some of you really don’t know anything about Catholicism.

In high school I dated the daughter of a Congregationalist minister and went to church with them on Sunday’s numerous times, it was interesting the ways it was different and the ways it was similar.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you defined what you meant by the words "catholic church" and than stuck with that definition, you'd find that it disappears pretty quickly as you go back in history.

The recent dogmas, for example. Etc. This is such a huge obvious problem that ways had to be invented to rationalize it and you have to be pretty mentally deft to trick yourself into believing them ... or you just have to ignore these things and never go into t he original sources and check them. No, books of quotes aren't original sources. You have to go read the places the quotes were pulled from.

ETA: and so what if the reformers didn't believe what the rcc did? Since when did majority rule define reality?  Not to mention that the rcc belief system wasn't the only thing around, though darned if they don't try their hardest to make like they were and automatically presume any evidence that they weren't is evidence that they were.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OK, now for some Catholic humor.

When I was a kid, our family used to take a vacation, usually either Thanksgiving or Christmas time. We'd go to the local Catholic church if we were there over a Sunday. The place was called "Our Lady Star of the Sea". My mom always wrote out a check to drop in the collection plate. So, she did. When she got the deposited check back (they used to do that) from the bank and was looking at it, she broke out laughing. So, we all asked what was up. The check said on the Pay to the order of line, "Our Lady Chicken of the Sea".

View Quote

Port Isabel?

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man, how can you trust the Bible, of all things?  It was not only written by catholics....the catholic church are the ones who put the Bible together!!!

Don't fall for ou....I mean their tricks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
It's all about the local preacher, church and community.   Love some, hate others.
FWIW, I'm catholic.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoy a good catholic mass IF the preacher is good.

Knew a few good ones.
One use to ride a Harley and go into bars for beer or whiskey.

Knew a Catholic priest from Scotland once who had been a bartender at a pub prior to joining the priesthood, used to say he had taken more confessions in his former profession than his current one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
If it hasnt been mentioned yet, hit a fish fry at lent time. I hope you like beer.

Try different masses from different ethnic neighborhoods or towns. There are Irish, German, Italian, Mexican etc all similar but different cultural things like festivals and stuff and the older ones have cool architectural features. I dont like the homogenized modern ones.

Some priests are cool, some are dicks, some have a good personality and some are dry and boring to listen to. Just like any religion I suppose. At communion if you arent suppose to take it you can still go down the line, just cross your arms and you will get a special blessing.

Most of us arent too crazy about the commie pope. He is temporary. Maybe the next one will be cool but the upper management is pretty woke these days.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I’ve been to masses all over the country and a few different countries. Anyone who thinks mass is full of only old people…Maybe in the south or an area where there really isn’t any Catholics. Utah was like that.
View Quote

Umm, plenty of Catholics in the two southernmost counties in Alabama.  If WW2 hadn’t caused a migration of Protestants from the middle of the state, Mobile would be overwhelmingly Catholic.  Our parish has two Latin Masses a month and it’s mainly younger people who are attending.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The short answer is yes. Along with Lutheran charities and others too. There are woke liberal commies in every religion. Some parishes are worse than others. It seems the individuals who support the Catholic charities like you are thinking are more well-to-do ones in liberal areas. Before making any kind of donation, I would check with the pastor and be sure its going towards upkeep of the building or the poorer local parishioners and not some commie program. Usually when they pass the plate around it is for building upkeep but it doesnt hurt to ask to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#45]
The Eucharist in Scripture: The Lamb’s Supper (1st part)
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Salvation is a person- it’s not a litany of rituals  or things you do - if you have Christ and only Him you have Christianity as defined by Jesus himself, (ye must be born again, he said)

If you have a bunch of stuff to do and say, along with rules and rituals to follow - you have a religion

There’s a huge difference
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#47]
It is always a good idea to check out the different religious factions when you get a chance.

I have been to Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist and 7th Day Adventist services and each are interesting.

I have a special place in my heart for Methodist preachers.  Of the many priests and preachers I have met, the Methodists always seemed the most genuine.

Though the Catholic priest that married my wife and I is the epitomize of a man who answered a calling to God.  It is humbling to talk to him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Catholicism is a Christian faith, just like Lutheranism and Presbyterianism are.

I'm not really sure what your angle is here unless it is that people who don't follow the teachings of the faith but claim to be, aren't really adherents of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must respectfully disagree. I am not attacking Catholic people because God's people are in every Church but the Catholic Church is not Christian.

They moved Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, told people that the Church had the power to do so, and that in such things they were exercising "divine, infallible authority". They placed themselves between God and people when they decided they could issue forgiveness, or that you could not read the scriptures - you had to ask them about it. Thus was born Protestantism.

For that and many, many, many other reasons, the Catholic Church is not a Christian organization, no matter how many times it claims to be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I must respectfully disagree. I am not attacking Catholic people because God's people are in every Church but the Catholic Church is not Christian.

They moved Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, told people that the Church had the power to do so, and that in such things they were exercising "divine, infallible authority". They placed themselves between God and people when they decided they could issue forgiveness, or that you could not read the scriptures - you had to ask them about it. Thus was born Protestantism.

For that and many, many, many other reasons, the Catholic Church is not a Christian organization, no matter how many times it claims to be.
View Quote

How many Protestant faiths observe the Sabbath on Saturday?

The Catholic Church does not teach that it has the power to forgive sins, there is a fundamental misunderstanding in your post about what the sacrament of Reconciliation is.

It also does not teach that the Pope is infallible every time he opens his mouth.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Salvation is a person- it’s not a litany of rituals  or things you do - if you have Christ and only Him you have Christianity as defined by Jesus himself, (ye must be born again, he said)

If you have a bunch of stuff to do and say, along with rules and rituals to follow - you have a religion

There’s a huge difference
View Quote

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

God wished for rituals and allowed for man to show Him their thanks as well as community with Him. Just like Abraham's sacrifice. Just like the priests in the Holy Temple. Just like the Sacrice at Holy Mass. We are giving God His Due. The 1st Commandment. We are giving Him our first fruits. Our greatest Love.

Jesus called all to religion. He healed in order to make the unclean, clean again so they could worship at the Temple.

Christ continued the religion by fulfilling Divine Promises for the Salvation of souls. To separate us from this world and want Heaven with Christ. Christ mark's you as one of His children with the Work of Baptism. He guides us continually with Sanctifying Grace through the Sacraments.

If choose to not come to Him. That I your free-will. He will honor that. But that is not sharing in salvation.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top