Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2019 12:35:26 PM EDT
Was using the cheap AAFES 5 blade razor.  Can only get Gillette or Schick locally, won't buy Gillette.  Nothing against Schick, but probably time for me to switch to a double edge safety razor.  Nothing fancy, FW_wife prefers the beard anyway, but I'm shut of her for the moment.  

ETA:  Ordered a Feather and a 3-pack sampler.  We'll see how much blood I lose.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the merkur 34c razor. It’s a great starter razor that isn’t too aggressive and it won’t break the bank. I got mine on amazon for a good deal. Astra blades are a good blade but try out a few different ones to see which ones work best for you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Feather.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Feather.
View Quote
They seem pricey on Amazon?  What does a Feather do that a Van Der Hagen or Merkur won't do?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Feather is much sharper blade than most other DE blades.

I like them but they are pretty pricey.  I usually buy them when they go on sale.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Found a Feather razor on Amazon for like $12.  And ordered a sampler of blades from Blade Club (?), and a pair of styptic pencils.  We'll see how I do.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought we had a shaving forum, but this is what I stumbled into 1st.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a 10 pack of feathers off amazon on arf advice. They’re awful. Don’t shave near as close as the hagens I can get locally. And they seem to drag more than cut. Some of the reviews said they seem counterfeit, or maybe they just don’t make them like they used to. Either way. The ones I got sucked ass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a 10 pack of feathers off amazon on arf advice. They’re awful. Don’t shave near as close as the hagens I can get locally. And they seem to drag more than cut. Some of the reviews said they seem counterfeit, or maybe they just don’t make them like they used to. Either way. The ones I got sucked ass.
View Quote
That sucks.   That’s how I felt about merkur brand blades, tugging, tearing out.

I have hundreds of gillette yellows and blues and that’s the last I will buy.  (A purchase of about five years ago). The feathers are sharp, too sharp sometimes on the first use.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I am not visibly bleeding to death.  The Feather got here today, w/ a small sample pack of Feather blades, and 2x styptic pencils.  Didn't have to use either.

Used ordinary Ivory soap in the shower, shaved only one side of my face w/ the Feather, was careful to only shave w/ the grain, no cuts.

Used the Schick on the other side, same soap, able to shave against the grain, noticeably closer shave, less irritation.

As I get practiced, I'll do my whole face (once the mosquito bite the Schick sliced open the other day heals up), and start experimenting w/ stretching my skin and see how much cross-grain I can get.

The sample pack of Vostok? and a couple of other brands should be here soon.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
EDWIN

JAGGER
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
So, @ the end of the day, notice if I shave w/ the Feather - regardless of blade - the 5 o'clock shadow feels like I've not shaved for 2 days w/ the Schick.  Will keep trying, but while cheaper, and nothing to be afraid of, it seems the safety razor is slower, nicks more often & worse, and is not as close a shave as a modern 5 blade cartridge.  Also can't carry in a carry-on on a commercial flight.  Also rusts if left in the shower overnight.

This is shaving in the shower w/ Ivory soap, which gives a thick, slick lather.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
DE Razors run from less than $10 (not bad) to over $100 (seems ridiculous).

I have an old one that is brass with heavy chrome plating and looks good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to try a variety of blades.   it really does make a huge difference from person to person.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried a variety pack, but the ease of shaving w/ a modern 5 blade Schick won out.  I can shave in half the time w/ half the nicks, and I can pick up blades at my local shop when I run out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried a variety pack, but the ease of shaving w/ a modern 5 blade Schick won out.  I can shave in half the time w/ half the nicks, and I can pick up blades at my local shop when I run out.
View Quote
DE shaving isn't for everyone. Even a 3 blade cart. will get the job done, and there isn't a learning curve to deal with. Make no mistake, once you have DE shaving figured out and have the time, there is nothing closer and smoother, except maybe a str8 razor. But then that's a whole nother animal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe - I went through more than half the variety pack, and it didn't feel any smoother, and I got cut nearly every time.  I shave in the shower w/ ordinary hand soap, and this vibrating handle Schick 5 blade feels closer than any of the DE blades I tried.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe - I went through more than half the variety pack, and it didn't feel any smoother, and I got cut nearly every time.  I shave in the shower w/ ordinary hand soap, and this vibrating handle Schick 5 blade feels closer than any of the DE blades I tried.
View Quote
I got ya BB. if I hadn't started more than 40 years ago... who knows.

Did you really cut yourself almost every time?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I travel a lot too and I use a Harrys for travel. 5 pack blade refills available in a lot of places like target and walmart now. Great shave and reasonably priced.
When I’m home I use the safety razor. Traveling with it (even if not flying) is just a pain in the ass.

I can shave pretty quick with the DE. Almost as quick as the Harrys. Using a 1947 Gillette super speed I bought years ago and Astra blades. It actually shaves better if I go quicker as opposed to slower strokes. Go figure. Maybe that’s why they names it super speed? I dont know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I got ya BB. if I hadn't started more than 40 years ago... who knows.

Did you really cut yourself almost every time?
View Quote
Just a nick here or there.  I nick myself about every couple of weeks shaving w/ a cartridge.  I think the issue is the DE is wider than the cartridge, and I'm just not used to having something that sharp so far from the center of the blade.  If the issue was absolute cost, DE would win.  But a 5 or 6 blade cartridge is faster & nicks less.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, @ the end of the day, notice if I shave w/ the Feather - regardless of blade - the 5 o'clock shadow feels like I've not shaved for 2 days w/ the Schick.  Will keep trying, but while cheaper, and nothing to be afraid of, it seems the safety razor is slower, nicks more often & worse, and is not as close a shave as a modern 5 blade cartridge.  Also can't carry in a carry-on on a commercial flight.  Also rusts if left in the shower overnight.

This is shaving in the shower w/ Ivory soap, which gives a thick, slick lather.
View Quote
FWIW, I've found that I get the best shave with my DE razor if I used Wilkinson Sword blades and use shave gel.  Doing so gives me a much better shave than the modern multi blade razors and with no ingrown hairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top