Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Page / 51
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Going back to a corded light... found a deal on a Light Monkey 10-24 LED I couldn't pass up. They had one come in for service (new cord, gland, switch boot, and battery pack) and the owner decided to upgrade, so they listed it for $400 and upgraded the light head to a sidemount gland and cord for me for an extra $100.

Now to sell the LX20... @Marie, was it you that was interested?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Going back to a corded light... found a deal on a Light Monkey 10-24 LED I couldn't pass up. They had one come in for service (new cord, gland, switch boot, and battery pack) and the owner decided to upgrade, so they listed it for $400 and upgraded the light head to a sidemount gland and cord for me for an extra $100.

Now to sell the LX20... @Marie, was it you that was interested?
View Quote

Yes, that was me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
@floridahunter07

Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought Floridahunter's LX20 off him. I'll have it in a few days. Will be good for my cavern/intro to cave class.

Solo class in OH this coming weekend at a quarry with much better viz than I've had at my local quarry. We were lucky to have 10ft yesterday. And that's a huge improvement over a few weeks back!

Did some nav practice yesterday. I rarely use a compass. I don't need to for my diving.

Diving the following weekend with a guy who is a SM instructor (among other things) for my tech instructor's shop. He only dives SM - OC or rebreather. Need to get my HP80s trimmed out before cave class. Trying to do it with recreational buddies who only dive single tank is NOT working.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Did some nav practice yesterday. I rarely use a compass. I don't need to for my diving.
View Quote

Nav is invaluable for reef diving, especially when you are hunting and you are chasing a bug or fish. It's amazingly simple to get turned around. Not that you have much of that up in the great white North or plan to do it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Nav is invaluable for reef diving, especially when you are hunting and you are chasing a bug or fish. It's amazingly simple to get turned around. Not that you have much of that up in the great white North or plan to do it.
View Quote

My diving is either on a wreck or mostly on a wall at the quarry. Or you follow a rope between underwater stuff.

I have little need for a compass.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
And the Great White North is Canada!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my new to me LX20 today. Love it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Got my new to me LX20 today. Love it.
View Quote

Good!
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#11]
And the Great White North is Canada!
View Quote

Anything further North than lake Okeechobee and I'll need long pants and close toed shoes
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Rob Neto is issuing a second edition of his SM book. Almost double the content. I have the first edition and it's been very helpful. It should be out sometime in November. If you order direct from Rob's website, it's $15 off. Pricey, but I found the first one worth it. Ordered already.

Link
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Rob Neto is issuing a second edition of his SM book. Almost double the content. I have the first edition and it's been very helpful. It should be out sometime in November. If you order direct from Rob's website, it's $15 off. Pricey, but I found the first one worth it. Ordered already.

Link
View Quote

He was my Sidemount instructor.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Birthday present
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Solo class in OH this weekend. On my way out there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!
View Quote

It'd be nicer if I was going to get to use it anytime soon... The paint/stain job I took that is supposed to take my buddy & I two weekends to finish keeps getting pushed back, I'd probably be done with it now if it weren't for me pushing it off last weekend because of bad weather (ended up raining) and them pushing it off this weekend because of their handyman coming late last night to putty some holes in the cedar exterior. Couple that in with a moving closing date on our own house and having to move all our shit out of storage plus work picking up, and I'm sure it will be a while before I get a chance to go to cave country.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my ass kicked today. Solo day one.  Surface swim across the quarry and back. 200ft long maskless swim following a line with instructor trying to knock line out of your hand. I had a death grip on line.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m now solo certified.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m now solo certified.
View Quote

Congratulations!!

If it meant I was allowed to dive solo here (state parks won't allow it and neither will Ginnie), I'd probably get the cert. Not sure how it would work off a boat, but given that I have zero blue water experience or boat diving experience, I think it would be dumb to dive solo on a wreck or something in a 100% new environment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Congratulations!!

If it meant I was allowed to dive solo here (state parks won't allow it and neither will Ginnie), I'd probably get the cert. Not sure how it would work off a boat, but given that I have zero blue water experience or boat diving experience, I think it would be dumb to dive solo on a wreck or something in a 100% new environment.
View Quote

HUGE confidence builder for me. It is allowed at a number of Midwestern quarries, and that’s what I wanted it for. The ones I’ll dive solo at I’m familiar with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Congratulations!!

View Quote

There's a few boats that I know that will allow you to dive solo. But, everyone that I know that is doing it is DM or instructor. They just want some peace and quiet after dealing with customers all week.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:38:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#23]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
There's a few boats that I know that will allow you to dive solo. But, everyone that I know that is doing it is DM or instructor. They just want some peace and quiet after dealing with customers all week.
View Quote

I've heard some will allow it, but the class hasn't been a reasonable investment for me (yet) because I really have little desire to do boat diving given where I live. There's almost nothing good around me Gulf wise, too far up the Atlantic coast, and if I go to south FL/the Keys to go ocean diving I'm definitely taking friends on that 5+ hour drive and thus will have buddies.

Now, if Ginnie Springs were to allow solo at whatever level you are certified to, with solo card, that would be one thing. I might drop the coin on the year pass and a solo class to have a known spot I can go cave dive at 24 hours a day, basically... or I could just get my shit together and take full cave and do the same thing. Last I heard, they still let you solo cave dive if you have your Full card.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]

I've heard some will allow it, but the class hasn't been a reasonable investment for me (yet) because I really have little desire to do boat diving given where I live. There's almost nothing good around me Gulf wise, too far up the Atlantic coast, and if I go to south FL/the Keys to go ocean diving I'm definitely taking friends on that 5+ hour drive and thus will have buddies.

Now, if Ginnie Springs were to allow solo at whatever level you are certified to, with solo card, that would be one thing. I might drop the coin on the year pass and a solo class to have a known spot I can go cave dive at 24 hours a day, basically... or I could just get my shit together and take full cave and do the same thing. Last I heard, they still let you solo cave dive if you have your Full card.
View Quote

Yes, Ginnie will allow you to solo with full cave cert.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

Yes, Ginnie will allow you to solo with full cave cert.
View Quote

Honestly, I feel like that should kind of be a blanket pass to solo dive off a boat too, especially if you're still wearing a tech setup in open water.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Solo instructor is tech certified (through full cave) and does tech SM dives on the Great Lakes. He's in the midst of writing a course on SM boat diving and is going to submit it to SDI for approval. I told him I absolutely want to do that class whenever he's got it approved (probably next year), as I'll be doing Great Lakes SM.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Honestly, I feel like that should kind of be a blanket pass to solo dive off a boat too, especially if you're still wearing a tech setup in open water.
View Quote

me too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Cavern/intro to cave starts Fri-Sun of Thanksgiving weekend. Yay!
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

Nice!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice!

It’s not in FL. It’s in WI. Mine diving!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]

It’s not in FL. It’s in WI. Mine diving!
View Quote

I think that makes it even better!

I really need to dig my gear out of storage and have it all serviced.  I am NOT looking forward to the bill
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I was going to have all of my first and second stages serviced this fall before "winter" (when it's in the 50's for a nightly low, instead of high 70's or low 80's) and prime dive season got here... but then I had to keep all my money for buying a house.

What a mistake. LOL
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#34]

I think that makes it even better!

I really need to dig my gear out of storage and have it all serviced.  I am NOT looking forward to the bill
View Quote

The dive site is only 3 hours from me, which is great.

How long has it been since you were diving?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]

The dive site is only 3 hours from me, which is great.

How long has it been since you were diving?
View Quote

That is nice.  I'm about 4-5 hours from the caves in northern Florida, so it's an easy weekend trip.

It's been 3-4 years since my last open water dives, and probably twice that since I've been into any of the underground systems.  

I have all of the parts and manuals, and most of the necessary tools to rebuild my collection of regulators, but I don't have the gauges and whatnot to help with fine tuning.  I guess I should get off of my butt and start studying all of the tech info and at least give it a try...  I will also have to track down some kits to rebuild the valves and inflators on my wings.  It's a good thing those rarely change!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#36]
There's a thread in GD about my diving from this weekend.

I'm so sick of the zipper placement on my Fusion and too long arms. Looking into ordering a DUI drysuit. Made to measure and a MTM undersuit, too.  Waiting for total quote.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#37]
There's a thread in GD about my diving from this weekend.

I'm so sick of the zipper placement on my Fusion and too long arms. Looking into ordering a DUI drysuit. Made to measure and a MTM undersuit, too.  Waiting for total quote.
View Quote

I'd be careful and research before I plunked down my money on a DUI. They use to be the go-to drysuit but the company was sold years ago. One of the former owners even said she wouldn't buy a new DUI because of all the issues they've had with them. Our local dry-suit repair guy used to be the end all be all of dry suit repair had been complaining quite vocally about DUI before he retired.

I had the same dilemma several years ago and went with a Seaskin. I do not regret that decision at all. I got mine with just about every bell and whistle and I paid around a grand or so for mine.

Personally, if I were you I'd look into it as they make a great dry suit for 1/3-1/2 the price of the big names. A lot of people in these parts are a big fan of them and caves are very hard on Dry-Suits.

Best of luck!

P.S. What ever you do make sure you get the pockets mounted on the front since you're in side mount, it'll make access a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#38]

I'd be careful and research before I plunked down my money on a DUI. They use to be the go-to drysuit but the company was sold years ago. One of the former owners even said she wouldn't buy a new DUI because of all the issues they've had with them. Our local dry-suit repair guy used to be the end all be all of dry suit repair had been complaining quite vocally about DUI before he retired.

I had the same dilemma several years ago and went with a Seaskin. I do not regret that decision at all. I got mine with just about every bell and whistle and I paid around a grand or so for mine.

Personally, if I were you I'd look into it as they make a great dry suit for 1/3-1/2 the price of the big names. A lot of people in these parts are a big fan of them and caves are very hard on Dry-Suits.

Best of luck!

P.S. What ever you do make sure you get the pockets mounted on the front since you're in side mount, it'll make access a lot easier.
View Quote

I absolutely will not buy a drysuit from a company that doesn't have a dealer in the US. You have issues, has to go back overseas. Nope. I deal with international shit all day long on the job.

I know a number of people who've gotten new DUI suits in the last year or two and they've had no issues at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Our local dry-suit repair guy used to be the end all be all of dry suit repair had been complaining quite vocally about DUI before he retired.
View Quote

Steve Gamble?  
If so, ouch.  I'm probably going to need new seals when I finally get going.  Do you have any recommendations for local business?  

I have an old Dive Rite 905.  It worked well for me back then, but it was always just a bit big, and I've probably lost another 20lbs+ since.  I'm wondering if there's anything to be done about that, or if I'll just have to buck up and get a new one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Steve Gamble?  
If so, ouch.  I'm probably going to need new seals when I finally get going.  Do you have any recommendations for local business?  

I have an old Dive Rite 905.  It worked well for me back then, but it was always just a bit big, and I've probably lost another 20lbs+ since.  I'm wondering if there's anything to be done about that, or if I'll just have to buck up and get a new one.
View Quote

If a suit is that big, you’ll need to get a new one. Tearing it apart and making it smaller probably would cost a lot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Steve Gamble?  

View Quote

Gamble retired. He sold the business to someone but I'm not sure who owns it now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I did do my research. I know about 10 people who’ve gotten new, custom DUI suits, primarily the FLX Extreme, over the past two years, up to this spring. No issues aside from Turbo Soles getting holes, but I didn’t get those.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#43]
If I get a drysuit this winter, I'll probably go with a ScubaForce. DRIS actually had them pretty cheap earlier this year when I had a lot more in my savings account than I do now, and I was contemplating it... but now that we finally closed on our house, I need dumb shit like a fence and a detached garage to hold all my tools, kayaks, weightlifting stuff, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
If I get a drysuit this winter, I'll probably go with a ScubaForce. DRIS actually had them pretty cheap earlier this year when I had a lot more in my savings account than I do now, and I was contemplating it... but now that we finally closed on our house, I need dumb shit like a fence and a detached garage to hold all my tools, kayaks, weightlifting stuff, etc.
View Quote

Haha. That's one place that doesn't get my money.

I ordered my DUI. Should have it by Christmas. Ordered a custom undersuit, too. I'm sick of shit that doesn't fit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I dove in a 70 degree quarry today.

This one is different and is going to set off a trend all quarries must eventually copy.

It has an aeration system to turn over the water and the temp at ten feet was the same as the temp as 70.  70 degrees, same as Florida springs.  I may possibly go back next weekend or the weekend after schedule dependent.
View Quote

Quarry name?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Gray Quarry in Gray TN.

It's not big but it's 70 degrees on October 31st.  

Local groundwater temp is likely around 57 degrees.  The quarry will be useable wet for a couple more weeks.
View Quote

Interesting...

I wanted to check out Pennyroyal Scuba Center (quarry) in Hopkinsville, Kentucky about three years ago... carted all my dive shit up there and due to the thermocline I decided against it (late August, wanted to do some sort of deeper dives than your average cave dives you get around here but IIRC the water temps would've been in the high 40's or mid 50's at the depth I wanted to dive to (100+ feet) and in a 5/4mm wetsuit? Nah fam
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Interesting...

I wanted to check out Pennyroyal Scuba Center (quarry) in Hopkinsville, Kentucky about three years ago... carted all my dive shit up there and due to the thermocline I decided against it (late August, wanted to do some sort of deeper dives than your average cave dives you get around here but IIRC the water temps would've been in the high 40's or mid 50's at the depth I wanted to dive to (100+ feet) and in a 5/4mm wetsuit? Nah fam
View Quote

Pennyroyal is on my list. About 7-8 hours from me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#50]
Part of me either cannot or refuses to give up the aspect of feeling cool & refreshed when I get done doing a cave dive in the springs via wearing a wetsuit. A drysuit definitely does not give me the same feeling and I don't feel as "clean" after wearing it, but the one I had was also pre-owned and didn't fit worth a flip, so that might have had something to do with it. lol

Either way, F going into water that's less than 65 degrees with anything but a drysuit. 67-68 is as cold as I've been in while diving (swam in some creek water in NC that might've been 50 degrees or so, wearing board shorts one time... never again) and it's all I care for at this point. Warmer water can take the same path away from me too, I can't stand feeling like I'm getting into a bath.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top