User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#1]

Weather stripping here
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Both sides are done, inner and out sweeps as well as the window run channels.  The worst part was removing the old run channel on the passenger side.  The driver's side came out not too bad, I'm guessing it's got less sun in it's lifetime.

The kit came with the door seal also.  I should have got vent window seals but those look like a damn nightmare to do.  I'm going to try to use some rubber conditioner on it and get it a little more supple.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Rebuild of the original motor?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By the1919man:
Rebuild of the original motor?
View Quote
I was given a free05 that is honestly one of the cleanest motors I've ever seen.  I can swap this in and still have a running truck while I fix the oil leaks and oil pressure issue of the 350.  I may even just look for a 1 piece rear main roller block.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
New motor in and running
https://imgur.com/a/RSoPHLt
Hopefully this video works.  I made it short to be bandwidth friendly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't able to hear it, but I bet she runs great!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I tore into the 350 tonight.  It's, well it's something.  

It has a terrible ridge, it's going to have to be bored if it's even savable.  I'll bring a mic and snap gauges home from work tomorrow and see if .060 will salvage it, the ridge measures 4.0" so it's never been bored but the rods are dotted with what hole so someone has done a crank kit before more than likely.  There was a good bit of rtv in the pick up.  

Turns out the cam was a lie, it's a comp 280H.  This is actually better for me and it as well as the lifters look brand new.  As in me firing it up and driving around are the only wear it's ever had new as well as the timing chain.

The pistons were also a lie, they are dished pistons with valve reliefs.

It is a 4 bolt main motor so it's got that going for it.  I also found a serious oil leak.  The bolt hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump was missing the bolt.  So it was a hole right into the crankcase.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]

The best I can do for measuring the ridge.  This is after I scraped it with a razor.  The angle will make the reading off but this is all I have at home to measure with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
Well I tore into the 350 tonight.  It's, well it's something.  

It has a terrible ridge, it's going to have to be bored if it's even savable.  I'll bring a mic and snap gauges home from work tomorrow and see if .060 will salvage it, the ridge measures 4.0" so it's never been bored but the rods are dotted with what hole so someone has done a crank kit before more than likely.  There was a good bit of rtv in the pick up.  

Turns out the cam was a lie, it's a comp 280H.  This is actually better for me and it as well as the lifters look brand new.  As in me firing it up and driving around are the only wear it's ever had new as well as the timing chain.

The pistons were also a lie, they are dished pistons with valve reliefs.

It is a 4 bolt main motor so it's got that going for it.  I also found a serious oil leak.  The bolt hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump was missing the bolt.  So it was a hole right into the crankcase.
View Quote

Make damn sure you index those lifters to the exact lobe that they came off of.
A little brake cleaner and a sharpie, mark them 1-E (#1, exhaust) etc.

Yeah, .0395 (call it .040) bore taper is quite a lot.
.060 should take care of that.

Improve the fuel management with either FI or a properly tuned carburetor and you’ll never have to bore it again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

Make damn sure you index those lifters to the exact lobe that they came off of.
A little brake cleaner and a sharpie, mark them 1-E (#1, exhaust) etc.

Yeah, .0395 (call it .040) bore taper is quite a lot.
.060 should take care of that.

Improve the fuel management with either FI or a properly tuned carburetor and you'll never have to bore it again.
View Quote
I think I've decided that cam is going on the shelf.  It's really more duration than I want with 230 advertised.  I'm thinking something in the 214/218 range favoring the exhaust.  I want idle to 4000 operating range.  

I'm bringing home a dial bore gauge and a 4-5 mic.  We'll see what the wear really is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:
Any updates?
View Quote
Yeah!  I polished out the entire truck, it took about three hours and the rust ate my foam pad but it looks marvelous.

I have also since put a front air damn on it that was missing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
God damn that looks good!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking great!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm taking it to a big car show tomorrow so I scrubbed it down real good with some help from my youngest.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking great! You should post up some photos from the car show tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm gonna do multiple posts because I just lost it all in one while pasting.  

So there was a light rain but a pretty dense mist towards the end.  When it got dark they showed a movie on the screen, Gone in 60 Seconds.

My youngest took most of the pics and did good for a 8 year old.  Here's one I asked her to take of an AD truck, I love the grille!

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
My pics didn't capture the scale very well but there was about 100 cars.

Who's truck is that?  

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's from a different end and you can see the movie screen.

Same standing spot just turned to a different angle.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:50:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlockaCGulz] [#21]
Awesome. Four months from a partially assembled roller in the tree-line to a car show is pretty very bad-ass.  Congrats and I'm officially jealous. I dearly miss my old C10.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the kind words.

I got a line on a dealership stamped rear bumper.  I'm supposed to pick it up Saturday.  I've been on the hunt for one for a while and I'm excited to be able to get this one.  

I can get it powder coated for free at work and I think I'm going to get it done in white.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#23]
My friend that went back Sunday told me the truck won a top 75 award and he went to grab it for me but some woman beat him to it.  

The issue is no one has contacted me to let me know they have it and aside from my family I have no females I associate with.  

My eight year old would be so excited if we got it but I guess it's on someone else's well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#24]
That's a nice truck. My grandpa had an 87 longbed almost identical to yours. He gave it to me and like an idiot I sold it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File
So I found a dealership bumper after looking for a good while.  I had it blasted then powder coated and my daughter painted in the letters.  I'm really happy with the look.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#26]
It's been a while since I've updated this.  The most striking change is obviously the camper shell, lol.  Attachment Attached File

My youngest loves playing in it, it's awesome.

This weekend I put a new transmission in it due to flares while shifting.  The builder put a contestant pressure valve body in it and a trans go kit.  It got extra clutches and I installed a Monster stall converter.

I don't think I ever uploaded a pic of the engine swap, it looks fantastic.

Attachment Attached File

Today I put a new fan clutch on it.  It's creeping up in temp in traffic but cooking great while moving.

I have also picked up a L31 engine with a bad head.  The plan is to swap my 305 heads with some Z28 valve springs with a comp XR270HR.  If I can get 300 torque I would be happy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking good, thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#28]
That looks NICE! Very nice. Excellent update.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Four link kit ordered today, that's right it's gonna get bags
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh snap!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
New frame notch came today and my four link finally shipped.  It should be here Monday.  Rear bags will be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Small update.  I assembled and painted the control arms.  My compressors, solenoids, and lines will be here tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I would drive the crap outta that c10!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:17:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Borscht] [#35]
Thank you OP! I stumbled into this thread and was like, damn. First post January '21!?? I  saw the sweet rims, and realized gotta wait a lonnnggg time before this starts to take off into the nitty gritty. Then I realized it was now 2022.

great progress, good job getting the kid involved, and sweet build thread!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
It's not dead, I've just been stupid crazy working on it.  It's an insane amount of work to bag.  This is how it will sit aired out:

The front is bagged but not plumbed.  The rear is almost done then it's on to wiring and plumbing.  

When I put in the front adapters the front sat way too high so I pulled the cups out and trimmed about an inch and a half off of them and it got me here.

Keep in mind the bags have almost ten inches of lift from where it sits right here if needed.

I'm glad y'all are enjoying it, my wallet ain't.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Best of luck with it, keep us updated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn man, that’s gonna look really nice!!! I love the stance!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Love it!  Just saw that the Hot Rod Power Tour is starting in TN this year, just outside of Memphis.  You ought to shoot for taking that thing on it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#40]
So... Got the bags working tonight.  They work awesome.  I have a video but a friend is in it and I'm not going to post him online.

We are just cycling it off the shop air.  The to dos are remove the wheel wells from the bed and install, wire up the compressors, mount the solenoid block, and mount the switches in the cab.

I'm sure there is more left but that's the high spots
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Growing up I had a friend who had a notched and bagged Dakota. He would park in tow zones and drop it all the way down and never got towed. Guy was out of his mind, He'd drop it on the frame going down the highway. Impressive sparks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Here's a spoiler pic
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome.
Thanks for this thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Looking good OP!
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Here is how it sits aired out.  The bed has some distortion to it due to so much structure being removed from it so I'll have to brace it up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#47]
Hell yes
Attachment Attached File

I'd like a part list and details about how you went about everything. You can ramble on if you want because I will read it. You are passionate about this truck and I like to hear people talk about project vehicles they have passion for.

ETA
And more pics
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#48]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
Hell yes
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif

I'd like a part list and details about how you went about everything. You can ramble on if you want because I will read it. You are passionate about this truck and I like to hear people talk about project vehicles they have passion for.

ETA
And more pics
View Quote
The parts list is kind of a hodge podge, lol.  

For the four link and super C notch I used Welder series.  These guys are great.  I had a question and called them up and the dude that makes the parts is who answered the phone.  Straight up car dude that uses his own products.

For the front bag stuff I used Thor bros.  I honestly can't recommend them, the communication was non-existent.  If you have long lead times then say so.  

The website has stuff greyed out if it's out of stock so I assumed what you can order is in stock but I wouldn't know because calling and emailing got no answer and my parts just showed up a month later.

The thor bros stuff fit fine but the cups were waaay too tall.  The truck set as high as the static drop aired completely out so I cut 3/4 off of the cups to get it to sit how it sits now.

The frame notch was welded in then the frame cut out from inside it and plated in.  I have two crossmembers supporting it across the frame and a smaller third crossmember for the rear shocks.  I used the shocks to control axle drop when the truck is jacked up and they had to be leaned back to have enough travel.

All four bags are airlift dominator 2600 with 1/2" fittings and lines.  The controller is a airbagit system.  They have a bad rep I read after already buying my stuff but so far I have no complaints with their product.

I have a 9 gallon tank and two 480 compressors that have 100% duty cycle.  I have 4 gauge wire running to a fuse panel in the bed and the compressors run off of relays.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's a few more pics after I finally gave it a bath and did some bed alignment.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#50]
It looks great man thanks for sharing and keep it up
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top