Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2023 12:22:30 PM EDT
I am creating this thread in response to a question in the Pelagos 39 review thread.  

The Seiko is the SLA037 . It is one of the 1965 62MAS divers watch   remakes.  The SLA037 is made in Grand Seiko Studio Shizukuishi.

The hi-beat movement in it is apparently a less regulated and less decorated version of the same Grand Seiko hi-beat. As I understand it, the watch is basically a Grand Seiko but without the branding.

My Erika's MN strap came in recently and it is an excellent update to the watch.  The strap it came with is really nice (above photo), but I do not like traditional buckle style straps.

The Seiko is my favorite and I am very glad to own it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. What's the msrp?

I bought my brother one of the capt. Willard remakes. It was the one I had most heard about and was about $900 (spb153?).

I like that one, it looks very vintage
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Super cool Seiko! I don't understand the advantages of a hi-beat movement. My understanding was that you can have more beat error, however that makes little sense as I would think the beat error significance is magnified with the higher frequency movement. I'm sure I have a misunderstanding, otherwise, what would be the point of a hi-beat movement?

I certainly prefer this model over the Grand Seiko divers. Seems kinda like a Dodge Viper of watches. The branding would lead you to believe it's much less of a watch than it is. However, under the hood it's very special.

It's kinda funny they advertise Diashock on the dial.

Would love to see more pictures of it and I find it super interesting what would lead you to a watch like this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought my brother one of the capt. Willard remakes. It was the one I had most heard about and was about $900 (spb153?).

View Quote

OP’s link says MSRP is $6,300
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool! Does the movement chime when held to your ear?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful watch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, $6,300.  Grand Seiko pricing.

I got interested in these watches when Seiko released the SLA017 around 5 years ago but I missed out on those.  Hodinkee article on SLA017

I wanted a SLA017, but was not serious enough a buyer and since they were a limited release I missed out on buying new.  Early this year I saw the SLA037 in the tiny little Seiko cabinet at the watch store that I went in to look at Tudors, Omegas and Grand Seikos.  The SLA037 was just in the middle of the display with around 50 or more other Seikos like it was nothing special.   I handled it, but I did not know a great deal about it so I did not buy it that visit.  I went home and researched it, learned it is made in a Grand Seiko factory and the crazy high MSRP made more sense to me.

The excellent vintage looks and Grand Seiko build quality with Seiko branding creates the ultimate enthusiasts watch, at least for me.

When the watch store associate called me to pick up the Pelagos, I had made up my mind to buy the Seiko also.  Expensive day.

I do not know all the reasons for a hi-beat movement, but I know it runs at 36,600 vph vs the normal 28,800 vph.  It creates a very smooth scrolling second hand.  Almost, but not quite as smooth as the hybrid movement spring drive that Seiko makes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The excellent vintage looks and Grand Seiko build quality with Seiko branding creates the ultimate enthusiasts watch, at least for me.

View Quote

100% agree. Flies way under the radar.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I love that! Great looking watch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s slick.

I adore GS.

Still want a 9F powered field watch.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, should have clicked. Thanks.

I knew GS were expensive, but that's serious coin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's slick.

I adore GS.

Still want a 9F powered field watch.
View Quote
I have a couple 9Fs and they are fantastic.
Top Top