Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/9/2019 9:29:32 AM EDT
Been a long time since I studied this. Had to do some research at work today and Jesus, how fucked was that?

What is GDs opinion on why it went down like it did and about Warrant Officer Thompson threatening to shoot US soldiers to stop it? This is mostly for work but I am interested, especially from folks more studied on it or who lived in that time frame.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Were you there? I Don't judge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I studied it a bit, and heard interviews from the chopper pilot/s.    The older I get the more unappalled I am about it given I have no idea what those men on the ground were going through in the days, weeks, months leading up to this moment in time.   No doubt it was wrong, but I doubt very seriously the men who took part in this event went to Vietnam to kill women and child.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s sad that instead of providing close air support, the chopper pilot wimped out of killing communists and their supporters.

j/k
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Been a long time since I studied this. Had to do some research at work today and Jesus, how fucked was that?

What is GDs opinion on why it went down like it did and about Warrant Officer Thompson threatening to shoot US soldiers to stop it? This is mostly for work but I am interested, especially from folks more studied on it or who lived in that time frame.

Thanks!
View Quote
Thompson was one of my dad's friends.  Got to interview him for a high school project I did on the massacre.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A bunch of guys in a fucked up war, watching their buddies die every day chasing an enemy who refuses confrontation.

They just wanted to kick someone's ass.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I studied it a bit, and heard interviews from the chopper pilot/s.    The older I get the more unappalled I am about it given I have no idea what those men on the ground were going through in the days, weeks, months leading up to this moment in time.   No doubt it was wrong, but I doubt very seriously the men who took part in this event went to Vietnam to kill women and child.
View Quote
Supposedly they had 28 people hurt of killed in a time leading up to it. Booby traps only. Platoon scenarioish
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
War is hell.

What are gonna do?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thompson was one of my dad's friends.  Got to interview him for a high school project I did on the massacre.
View Quote
Are you able to say more? Very interested in particular about how (or if) he thought his oath fit in to his decisions. Again, this is simply for me to discuss with senior leaders.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Somewhere in a closet I have a letter from Calley. It was written to one of my parents.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Supposedly they had 28 people hurt of killed in a time leading up to it. Booby traps only. Platoon scenarioish
View Quote
Yeah I recall watching something to that nature in a documentary either about the event specifically or some Vietnam special on History or Discovery Channel IIrc.

Hard to put yourself in these men's position when they were being killed by shit being hidden, and protected in the villages by either VC, or scared civilians.   Seems similar to A-Stan and the huge challenge our men have faced in that shithole for almost 2 decades now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Somewhere in a closet I have a letter from Calley. It was written to one of my parents.
View Quote
Whoa, really?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I wasn’t there but I’m still appalled by US soldiers herding and shooting unarmed children and women and old men.  The day we condone such behavior even in the battlefield is the day we loose all moral authority on anything/anywhere.  I can see and accept accidentally killing civilians in the battlefield but not purposefully killing civilians.  The day we accept such behavior is the day we accept police shooting innocents people.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's sad that instead of providing close air support, the chopper pilot wimped out of killing communists and their supporters.

j/k
View Quote
Actually after a lot of reading, not of only the incident but of the the facts and circumstances leading up to it, I'm more in the above camp than not.

Sometimes to get rid of an ideology you have to just Carthage their ass.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wasn't at Nicole Simpson's house, either.

Calley should have left prison in a box.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can’t study the Vietnam conflict and not hear about it. I think that’s more a product of the sentimentality of the left towards the war than anything else. If there was a moment that the left wanted to brand the war effort with, that was it.

I’m not convinced that things like that didn’t  happen in all major conflicts to some degree. And that’s not to excuse it. I don’t go so far so as to say “if you weren’t there, you have no right to have an opinion”.

But I think the importance of it in terms of it being a historical event which is used to characterize the whole conflict for the history books may be a bit overstated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Pinkville and a history of the Viet Minh & Viet Cong

They lived together and trained together in the states and went over together...they were all close including their officers.

You wanna hate someone hate the VC all the VC and the NVA and maybe even the generals in the five sided puzzle palace who sent folks into that meat grinder and then refused to listen to them...
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
War is hell.

What are gonna do?
View Quote
Not rape, murder and mutilate a bunch of innocent men women and children?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't condone but can't very well judge either as we all walk on the bones of men who did way worse to get us here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A bunch of guys in a fucked up war, watching their buddies die every day chasing an enemy who refuses confrontation.

They just wanted to kick someone's ass.
View Quote
Are you saying it was OK?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are you saying it was OK?
View Quote
FO

You wanna know what Calley and Medina did wrong...they didn't call in airstrikes and artillery cause that is how it got conducted after that...and when you did it that way...no one said shit about it.

There were B-52s,Navy Jets,Airforce jets,and even the New Jersey was standing by in some areas...just waitin for a call.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually met William Calley once.  It was a casual meeting, and of course nothing was discussed.

Battle Hymn of Lt. Calley (C Company feat. Terry Nelson)

The above song was released while he was on trial.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#23]
With several decades hindsight, it wasn't an exceptional event, apart from a high media profile. Free fire zones functioned as sub rosa bureaucratic endorsement of mass pacification.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to know the medic many many years ago...I doubt he ever recovered.

How many farging times are we gonna do this topic this must be the 100th thread on this in the last 20 yrs
getting to be as bad as the tinnitus threads or what optic should I buy for my 14.5" AR pistol?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wasn’t there but I’m still appalled by US soldiers herding and shooting unarmed children and women and old men.  The day we condone such behavior even in the battlefield is the day we loose all moral authority on anything/anywhere.  I can see and accept accidentally killing civilians in the battlefield but not purposefully killing civilians.  The day we accept such behavior is the day we accept police shooting innocents people.
View Quote
You need to study WWII. We killed civilians left and right without a second thought.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You need to study WWII. We killed civilians left and right without a second thought.
View Quote
Ask the Japs at Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Ask the Germans at Dresden...I have talked to a woman who was a young girl on a school playground with heroldersisterwhen the fire bombs fell...she lived through a miracle of a school janitor and a room under the basement where he was ableto save 10 kids...She rebuilt a model of the the part of Dresden where she lived including the school and playground with great detail...even showed me which one of the kids was her sister swinging on the swing set
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How many farging times are we gonna do this topic this must be the 100th thread on this in the last 20 yrs
getting to be as bad as the tinnitus threads or what optic should I buy for my 14.5" AR pistol?
View Quote
Was looking for current opinions on a topic of interest to me right now. Hence, “general discussion”.

Funny, nobody is forced to click on any topic they don’t choose to. Seems you have a lot to offer but this post is pure garbage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, this thread’s going well
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#29]
hit it twice...apologies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Was looking for current opinions on a topic of interest to me right now. Hence, “general discussion”.

Funny, nobody is forced to click on any topic they don’t choose to. Seems you have a lot to offer but this post is pure garbage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough...let me add then....in my opinion.

and I'll bow out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, this thread’s going well
View Quote
Believe it or not.....it is. I need to hear from differing people to anticipate twists as I facilate this discussion at work. Already picked up on a few things.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
It was a shameful event that was thankfully not common behavior for our soldiers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ask the Germans at Dresden...I have talked to a woman who was a young girl on a school playground with heroldersisterwhen the fire bombs fell...she lived through a miracle of a school janitor and a room under the basement where he was ableto save 10 kids...She rebuilt a model of the the part of Dresden where she lived including the school and playground with great detail...even showed me which one of the kids was her sister swinging on the swing set
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Sgt. Barnes went nutzo
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#35]
PSA: If you don't want your civilians targeted by soldiers, it's probably best if your civilians don't target soldiers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sgt. Barnes went nutzo
View Quote
I am looking higher, especially at the O6 and O5 that we’re in charge, albeit not there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I think you have to ask yourself, would they (VC/ NVA) done the same in our country.

I believe that answer is yes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bombing campaigns in WWII are not comparable to Vietnam, and definitely not at all similar to what happened in My Lai.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think you have to ask yourself, would they (VC/ NVA) done the same in our country.

I believe that answer is yes.
View Quote
I would prefer to not base the behavior of our soldiers on what the VC/NVA, Khmer Rouge, SS concentration camp guards, etc. might have done.

My Lai was an aberration.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am looking higher, especially at the O6 and O5 that we’re in charge, albeit not there.
View Quote
What about Cpt. Harris?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What about Cpt. Harris?
View Quote
Sure but what was commanders intent is what I am trying to say I guess.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Your Lai Massacre

Our Lai Massacre

Their Lai Massacre
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Simply for the sake of playing devils advocate:  The guards at Auschwitz didn't join the army to kill women and children either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#45]
After that incident, the excuse of 'just following orders' was not permissible as a valid defense. Ironically the MSM pushes propaganda everyday that sometimes incites violence and hides successfully behind a similar excuse of 'just doing their job'
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a hard time believing the villagers didn’t know who was doing the attacks, knew where equipment was, or that several villagers were among the attackers or directly supporting them. I am not condemning or condoning, but I get it.

Shitty things happen in wars. Usually many more shitty things than this in frequency, and usually far shittier in severity. If this was the worst to come from a decade of warfare, the Vietnam War was one of the cleaner wars ever conducted. The majority of nations that point fingers have worse atrocities in their recent past. I guess to be fair we do too. War is hell. Vietnam was just the first time the public at large saw it on the nightly news.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I read a pretty interesting analysis years ago that suggested that part of the problem was that the Americal Division was formed incountry and that soldiers had been requested from other units throughout Vietnam in order to make sure that DROS dates were staggered. Anyone who’s been in the military knows that every unit will seize an opportunity like that to dump all of its shitbirds on someone else, which is probably exactly what happened here. A unit full of problem children can easily be led into something like that.
View Quote
I have read (happy to hear otherwise) some after reports that the unit was roughly the same representation as most others. Definitely some criminal types but I do not believe based on a few reports I have read that was not uncommon,
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I talked to a 1st. Lt. ROK Army officer who was in Vietnam when this incident occurred and he said it was a reflection on the quality of US military especially the officers.  He said they lost some respect for US military not because what they did but because the lack of officers control over their enlisted men.  He said ROK military could have done same thing but it would have occurred under the command of officers orders.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#49]
How much of this event was done by Draftees?

The policies we had in Vietnam that I've learned about...specifically things like the air war are just insane from a non military guy.   I can't imagine what it would be like as a drafted guy in the military serving in Vietnam.  You'd have to feel pretty damn expendable to say the least.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After that incident, the excuse of 'just following orders' was not permissible as a valid defense. Ironically the MSM pushes propaganda everyday that sometimes incites violence and hides successfully behind a similar excuse of 'just doing their job'
View Quote
Not after though. Thompson stopped it and was not following orders, clearly. Upheld his oath of office.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top