Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2020 12:23:10 AM EDT
How do guys do this? Wife suggested towing a small trailer behind my SUV, the weight alone is one thing but what about all those pesky state lines you have to cross?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Most state lines don't have border crossings....
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're in WA and driving East, any state lines you cross should bring you more freedom at least until you cross the Mississippi.

The FOPA should also theoretically protect you.

Driving across CT and NY with a trailer full of ARrs, now that's an adventure.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Think of yourself as a love struck astronaut stalker.

Have provisions to stop at little as possible, lock them up, and keep your face hole closed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do guys do this? Wife suggested towing a small trailer behind my SUV, the weight alone is one thing but what about all those pesky state lines you have to cross?
View Quote

Where are you headed? I recently moved from FL and had a fairly direct route through all gun friendly states.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Load up and go. Just make it so nothing gun related is visible from the outside of the vehicle or trailer. How far are you going? If stopping for the night at a hotel park in well lit area visible to your room or the entrance to the hotel. Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I once knew a guy that may have tipped nationwide moving company driver to help out. The driver may have been willing to transport certain nondescript cardboard boxes out of nonpermissive states through nonpermissive states.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd just rent a uhaul and move a truck load of belongings...
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Rent a box truck.

Pulling a rental trailer full of guns and ammo with a questionable tow vehicle is a shit show waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes lockable trailer or maybe PODS?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are you headed? I recently moved from FL and had a fairly direct route through all gun friendly states.
View Quote

FL to WA? Man you went the wrong way. I’m trying to go WA to FL.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll probably be the most heavily armed individual for miles along the interstate. Who are you worried about fucking with you?

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Sell 80% ammo for ridiculous prices now

Rebuy at new place at reduced non panicky prices
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I just moved from WA to AZ. Prior to moving, I sold my large safe to a friend and took the guns/ammo to my MIL’s house

On the first trip, my wife drove the van with the kids and I drove the moving truck. I only brought one AR and my carry gun. We made two overnight stops and I didn’t want to worry about all that stuff in a hotel parking lot.

A week later I flew up and filled my truck with the rest of the guns/ammo and made the drive without stopping.

The only gun that was ever loaded was the one I was carrying. OR and NV don’t recognize WA CPL. I may or may not have cared about that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a used appliance dolly - it can lift and move up to 1200 lbs. The extra legs in the back help support the dolly so you can lean the safe back and push the safe around without much effort. This makes moving a safe by yourself really easy.

As for the moving truck, a lift gate is a must. My fridge, safe and other heavy boxes were so much easier to move with the lift gate. Ammo/reloading supplies were almost as heavy as my fridge.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

1st part, sure. 2nd part might not happen.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

1st part, sure. 2nd part might not happen.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 12x6 cargo trailer with a drop rear door, single axle, rated for 2200 pounds, moved three safes in three different trips with furniture mixed in. I bought a crate lift to load and unload the safes up the rear door. I still have the crate lift. I sold the trailer for just a few dollars less than it cost when I was done. I placed 25 Ammo cans in back of my pick-up on two of those trips. I placed a tarp and a sheet of plywood over.

Eta- moved 400 miles across three states.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Last time I moved cross country:

Guns went with the moving company locked inside the safe (extra charge and they wanted a manifest and I had to show each was clear).

Ammo was a problem - they wouldn't take it. It went in the trunk of the car. Probably a waste.

Next time i'm either shooting it up/selling it ("salad days" conditions) or just putting it on the moving truck in boxes having forgotten that ammo was in them (current conditions).
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Last time I moved I hired guys to help me load the box truck. Want to say it cost me $200. They strapped it to the back of the uhaul. The heavy duty dolly ran me about $160 from harbor freight and the straps were cheap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your lack of details is confounding.  From WA to where might help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TX. (before you start. We have had a place near Cleburne for years, we want to settle near Tyler on a lake. And no, were not from Seattle, Eastern WA) No WA politics moving with us as its one of the primary reasons for moving. Guess I'm selling all my Ski gear for fishing gear?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TX. (before you start. We have had a place near Cleburne for years, we want to settle near Tyler on a lake. And no, were not from Seattle, Eastern WA) No WA politics moving with us as its one of the primary reasons for moving. Guess I'm selling all my Ski gear for fishing gear?
View Quote

Welcome back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top