Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2017 1:31:37 PM EDT
I know, it's almost criminal to admit it.  Here are some of my choices:

Fight Club
Cloud Atlas
Blade Runner
I, Robot  (except the end--the book had a more unique ending).
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
TLOtR

I say this as a huge Tolkien fan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Blade Runner
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The  shining
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TLOtR

View Quote
That surprises me, but thinking on it I’m glad the movies left out that whole section on Tom Bombadil from the fellowship of the ring.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Star Wars

also, Shawshank Redemption and Cider House Rules
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The Natural
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Jaws - in the book Brody is fickless wimp, Hooper is a preppy asshole sleeping with Brody's wife, and Quint is a monster with no redeeming qualities.

Man on Fire - Ending is reversed.  Takes place in Italy, not Mexico, and it's 90% Creasy recovering from injuries before 10 pages of action at the end.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Lonesome Dove.  Book was great, but a tad too long.  Movie trims things down and only misses on a few points, which I won't mention here in case somebody hasn't seen/read it yet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2.  Read it and saw the movie because my wife was into it.  The dream sequence fight at the end was epic for the fact that it wasn’t in the book and a total surprise to everyone in the theater. Audience reaction to it was definitely one of the best theater experiences I’ve ever had.

Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The Godfather.

Puzo tells a good story but Coppola just made it...well, The Godfather.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I Robot?  Really?  I can understand why IA refused to allow a screen adaptation while he was alive.  The book was a series of loosely connected short stories spread out over 40 years or so designed to show the "evolution" of the robots and the 3 laws.  The movie was a few of the episodes crammed into a single plotline designed to show off the CGI!  And I Robot was the genesis of the entire robots/foundation books.  It's like Starship Troopers.  The movie is one thing, the books are another and except for names and a few thematic points are totally different.

And I say that as someone who not only really enjoyed the I, Robot movie, but went and bought it as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The Bourne Identity, mostly because Ludlum is a fucking terrible writer
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Godfather.

View Quote
I completely agree, the casting was spot-on as well.  The trilogy is just a perfect storm in cinema
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The Postman

Maximum Overdrive ("Trucks")

The Mist (both versions but the second one is best)

Starship Troopers (sorry guys, the book was interesting, but lame)

Conan the Barbarian

Apocalypse Now (Heart of Darkness)

2001, 2010
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<zip>
<zip>
View Quote
The days of me not taking you seriously have certainly come to their middle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Godfather.

View Quote
Came here to post this.   The book fleshes out a few things that the movie can only touch upon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Starship Troopers.  Sure, the movie is vastly different, but I thought the book was friggin' boring.  There was just a bunch of talking and discussion of tactics/philosophy.  Which is ok for making you think, but rather...boring.  The movie on the other hand is a cheesy blood-bath filled with bug slaughtering, Clancy Brown, and...you know...
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Starship Troopers.  Sure, the movie is vastly different, but I thought the book was friggin' boring.  There was just a bunch of talking and discussion of tactics/philosophy.  Which is ok for making you think, but rather...boring.  The movie on the other hand is a cheesy blood-bath filled with bug slaughtering, Clancy Brown, and...you know...
View Quote
I agree with this.  I read ST when I was 14 and again in my 40's, and it was boring each time.  The movie, however, is awesome.

I actually don't think that Heinlein was that good of a writer.  I have been Meh about I robot, foundation, and ST, SIASL, etc. so he's not for me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Agree
View Quote
Agree +1000.  I made it through like 3 of the Bourne books (the first ones), and was so disappointed--like I wanted those hours of my life back.

I have loved all the movies.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Postman

Maximum Overdrive ("Trucks")

The Mist (both versions but the second one is best)

Conan the Barbarian

Apocalypse Now (Heart of Darkness)

2001, 2010
View Quote
Agreed.  The only good thing I can say about AN/Heart of Darkness is that after reading it, I felt like crying "the horror! The horror"!

loved the AN movie.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I Robot?  Really?  I can understand why IA refused to allow a screen adaptation while he was alive.  The book was a series of loosely connected short stories spread out over 40 years or so designed to show the "evolution" of the robots and the 3 laws.  The movie was a few of the episodes crammed into a single plotline designed to show off the CGI!  And I Robot was the genesis of the entire robots/foundation books.  It's like Starship Troopers.  The movie is one thing, the books are another and except for names and a few thematic points are totally different.

And I say that as someone who not only really enjoyed the I, Robot movie, but went and bought it as well.
View Quote
Yes, really.  See my previous comments on Heinlein.  I definitely don't see him as a sci-fi god.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not Harry Potter, and I love the books and the movies... But the movies don't do the books justice.
View Quote
Agreed.  I never thought I'd say this before reading the potter series, but Goblet of Fire as a movie was average, but the book was a masterpiece and the favorite of mine of the whole series.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lonesome Dove.  Book was great, but a tad too long.  Movie trims things down and only misses on a few points, which I won't mention here in case somebody hasn't seen/read it yet.
View Quote
So for once I disagree.  I read the book first and actually cried.  My favorite western ever.  The movie was a let down for me.

The second book in the series was a big let down (think it was the streets of Laredo), but kind of realistic.  I won't read anymore from him most likely.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  I read ST when I was 14 and again in my 40's, and it was boring each time.  The movie, however, is awesome.

I actually don't think that Heinlein was that good of a writer.  I have been Meh about I robot, foundation, and ST, SIASL, etc. so he's not for me.
View Quote
Asimov wrote I Robot and foundation.

You might give RH another try. SIASL was different.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The Outlaw Josey Wales was better than the book in a lot of ways.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
JACK REACHER

Watched the first 2 movies, then listened to the first book on a 1,200 mile road trip.

It was painful.
It was the worst writing I've ever experienced.
It was worse than that time my wife made me read a Hunger Games book with her.
It made me want to punch my head-unit and PIT other cars off the road.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TLOtR

View Quote
You're insane.

And you can't call yourself a huge Tolkien fan anymore.  You're now a huge Peter Jackson fan who happens to like Tolkien.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I've said it before: Firestarter (with Drew Barrymore) was a better movie than the Stephen King book. In Places.

(I think Mr. King is very overrated, as an author, but that's like, my opinion, man.)
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're insane.

And you can't call yourself a huge Tolkien fan anymore.  You're now a huge Peter Jackson fan who happens to like Tolkien.
View Quote
He's not insane.  Tolkien is really overrated.  I repeatedly read and loved the Lord of the Rings books in middle school.  When the movies came out, I decided to reread them... and found them nearly unreadable.

They're SO slow paced and all the action sequences are barely mentioned.  The Battle of Helms Deep, which takes up half the 2nd movie, is like half a page in the book.  There's 6-8 page long poems written in ELVISH, but key battles and events are given a brief summary paragraph (Meanwhile there was a battle at Helm's Deep.  It was close, but the good guys won.  Now here's 12 pages of non-rhyming poetry about some elf queen who died 10,000 years ago).  It was such a struggle to finish them.

There's no denying that Tolkien's work is epic, and incredibly influential.  But it's also really, really dated and what Tolkien invented has been done better since.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Agreed.  I never thought I'd say this before reading the potter series, but Goblet of Fire as a movie was average, but the book was a masterpiece and the favorite of mine of the whole series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not Harry Potter, and I love the books and the movies... But the movies don't do the books justice.
Agreed, the books were so well written, even after seeing the movies first, I was able to read the books and forget what I saw in the movies and see my own interpretation of the authors words.
I can’t think of any other book I’ve ever read after seeing the movie that didn’t keep my mind locked into the film version. Or at the very least the image of the actors in the films. With The Harry Potter books I didn’t even picture the characters looking the same as the movies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's not insane.  Tolkien is really overrated.  I repeatedly read and loved the Lord of the Rings books in middle school.  When the movies came out, I decided to reread them... and found them nearly unreadable.

They're SO slow paced and all the action sequences are barely mentioned.  The Battle of Helms Deep, which takes up half the 2nd movie, is like half a page in the book.  There's 6-8 page long poems written in ELVISH, but key battles and events are given a brief summary paragraph (Meanwhile there was a battle at Helm's Deep.  It was close, but the good guys won.  Now here's 12 pages of non-rhyming poetry about some elf queen who died 10,000 years ago).  It was such a struggle to finish them.

There's no denying that Tolkien's work is epic, and incredibly influential.  But it's also really, really dated and what Tolkien invented has been done better since.
View Quote
Tolkien is not overrated.  I don't disagree with much that you say...like you, I re-read them countless times in middle school (and beyond)...because they were written for that age group (the age of JRR's son, Christopher, at the time).  How often do you go back and read books intended for 12-14 year olds?

Of course there has been better since...Tolkien created the genre, and he gave a marvelous example of how to do it right, with some extraordinary world building (considering it was revolutionary).  Modern writers have been given a marvelous example to follow and improve upon.

The crime of Jackson was in warping that world to make it a movie of modern day politics, rather than the good vs evil children's story it ought to have been.  He twisted and disfigured some of the most beautiful characters, and most of the best parts of the plot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LOL.  I agree.

My 16 year old self would say you're full of crap and that book was aweeeeeesoooome..   But my 48 year old self completely agrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.  I agree.

My 16 year old self would say you're full of crap and that book was aweeeeeesoooome..   But my 48 year old self completely agrees.
I think the movies would have been better if they had held a little more to the plot...the whole brainwashing theme ruined the later movies, in my opinion.  But the first couple of movies were pretty good adaptations.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Blackhawk Down
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Speaking about heresy, I think almost all of them.

I think books are at their best when discussing ideas or events but when it comes to fiction, movies are much better simply because dialogue cannot be conveyed accurately one line at a time.  Real world dialogue is what you see in movies. People talk over each other, they stumble on their words, they use volume to assert dominance, facial expressions let you know if someone is being authentic or not and that's not even counting the body language.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#38]
As much as I liked The Martian book, I think maybe the movie was even better.  It was faster paced with fewer dead spots.

I have a paradox with this, though.  I like the movie better only because I read the book first.  Otherwise, the movie touched briefly and quickly on so many things from the book that I would not have always understood what I was seeing if I hadn't already read the book.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#39]
All the John Gresham books I have read, the movies were better if they have been made into movies. Not that the books were bad, I just preferred the movies better, A Time to Kill, The Firm, The Pelican Brief.

Those saying LOTR and Starship Troopers are absolutely wrong and are crazy!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Jaws, as has been said.  The affair between Hooper and the Chief's wife was nearly unreadable.

As has also been said the LoTR movies, particularly the extended editions, were better than the books.  Tolkien was an incredible world-builder, but not much of a story-teller.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#41]
American Psycho
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Clear and Present Danger
Double Indemnity
The Getaway
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Clear and Present Danger
View Quote
No, no, no, no.  The movie was really good, but the book was so much more.  My favorite parts of the book were the "we own the night" special ops troops we sent down to South America.  I can't remember any of that in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
TLOtR

View Quote
Uh, no.

Jackson obviously liked LOTR, but didn’t understand the books at all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man on Fire - Ending is reversed.  Takes place in Italy, not Mexico, and it's 90% Creasy recovering from injuries before 10 pages of action at the end.
View Quote
IIRC, the original Man on Fire with Scott Glenn follows the book much more closely.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Today I add...Aeon Flux and Oblivion.  Apparently there is no solid d book for Oblivion, just a concept graphic novel, which I cannot find to read.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#46]
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Ben Hur

From Here to Eternity

Gone With the Wind

Wizard of Oz

To Kill a Mocking Bird

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

ETA:  Bright Lights, Big City

ETA:  Post Cards From the Edge (though both the book and movie include the classic quote, "Instant gratification takes too long.")
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tolkien is not overrated.  I don't disagree with much that you say...like you, I re-read them countless times in middle school (and beyond)...because they were written for that age group (the age of JRR's son, Christopher, at the time).  How often do you go back and read books intended for 12-14 year olds?

Of course there has been better since...Tolkien created the genre, and he gave a marvelous example of how to do it right, with some extraordinary world building (considering it was revolutionary).  Modern writers have been given a marvelous example to follow and improve upon.

The crime of Jackson was in warping that world to make it a movie of modern day politics, rather than the good vs evil children's story it ought to have been.  He twisted and disfigured some of the most beautiful characters, and most of the best parts of the plot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Jackson obviously liked, but didn’t understand the source work at all. It shows in the details, particularly the butchery of the battle scenes (especially the siege of Gondor)
2. There has been better since? What exactly? The depth and subtlety of Tolkien is pretty much unmatched.  George RR Martin makes a good attempt, but he probably sleeps in Tolkien underoos (a chilling thought)

As for the original question?  Anything based on a Phillip K Dick story (Blade Runner especially). PKD had brilliant ideas, but his execution of them was very clunky (probably due to drugs).

If you think Tolkien is overrated you’re out of your fucking mind.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Related, but not an exact comparison:

Just read "ready player 1" and thought it was OK, not nearly as good as most reviews.  WATCHED MOVIE NOW:  book was better.

just watched "wreck it ralph", which is one of my favorite kids' movies ever.  Way better to me than Ready player 1,  thought the material was similar but just liked the way it was done in Ralph.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Today I add...Aeon Flux and Oblivion.  Apparently there is no solid d book for Oblivion, just a concept graphic novel, which I cannot find to read.
View Quote
There isn't a book at all for Aeon Flux.  The movie was based on the MTV animated series.  There was a limited series comic released based on the movie, and a "sort of" graphic novel based on the original series.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top